Ahi is not feeling well.

She has bad diarrhea and is kinda lethargic. She may have eaten something in the yard... We have fig trees in our yard, are those bad for dogs? Anyone know? I think she might have eaten some.

I have searched and search but can't find anything that says if it's ok for dogs to eat figs.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I have never heard of figs being poisonous, and I have never seen them on any of the "dangerous foods" lists.  That doesn't mean they couldn't give a dog an upset stomach though.
  • edited November -1

Too many figs can give people the runs, so I suppose the same holds true for dogs.

There are some vet techs on OurDogsOnline.com board. Maybe you could ask? If no, most ER clinics will tell you.

Does she have a temp? There's no blood in the stool, is there? (Sorry about the TMI) Any vomiting?  

• edited November -1
    When things like that happen, I normally call the vet and they tell me what to do or if I need to come in.  I've never had to go in yet, they usually tell me to just watch and if it gets worse, or they're vomiting violently, or if they can't breathe, or if they have that for too long then bring them in.  
  • edited July 2007

You could also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 888-426-4435.  I think they charge $50 per case, but I believe they would tell you if figs are poisonous to dogs for no charge.  Nikkei had eaten parts of an aloe plant when he was about 3 1/2 months old and they answered my questions at no charge.  Cornell University has a relatively comprehensive poisonous plant informational database  (www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/)- figs are not listed

• edited November -1

Wow - thanx for all the info guys!

No vomiting, no blood, and no temp. She seems fine now too... Maybe she just needed to pass it - I am just assuming it was a fig... But it could have been something else. We also just gave her flea / tick meds a few days ago, so that might have been part of the issue.

Meantime I picked up all figs on the ground around the property just to be safe. Get this tho - we have a freaking grape vine growing in the corner too! That's real safe. I knew about it early on tho, and surrounded it with chicken wire. We also never leave the dogs in the yard unattended.

I'll let you know if anything changes with her, but for now she seems fine. Jen also asked the vet about the figs - they didn't recommend we feed them to her [duh] but they said they aren't poisonous.

Thanx!

~Brad

• edited November -1
    Sounds like you have quite the garden.  Glad Ahi's feeling better.
  • edited November -1

Whew! Good to know she's feeling better.

Grapevines! Ack! Can you rip them out?

• edited November -1

I'm not sure I was gonna try to ask my landlord this weekend [it's a rental house]. Freaks me out a bit.