Jagdterriers and a Kishu

edited September 2011 in Hunting & Working
Here's a video of a Kishu working with two Jagdterrier baying a hog. I personally believe it's a nice team.

Comments

• Here's the video. I apologize for couldn't get right the first time. :)
  • Here's another video of the jagdterriers baying a boar. They might be the best breed to catch a boar but they sure do a pretty good job baying. I hope you guys enjoy watching the video as much as I do. :)

• Nice vids! I dont think thats a Kishu in the first one, it looks like a Laika or one of the euro spits. Awesome tough.
  • edited September 2011
    Very cool. I agree with Gen; I think that's a west siberian laika.
    Man, those jagds are gritty little dogs. That IS a nice little team. 3 dogs--two of them smaller--they wouldn't eat too much! They do a nice job of containing that hog without being too catchy.
  • I was thinking the same thing, the head looked too husky-ish, and the body too heavy, to me to be a Kishu. But not really seeing a Kishu beyond pics on this forum I wasn't quite sure. It is a pretty cool video though, thanks for sharing it
  • I had a thought that might not be a kishu too but I don't know any other white dog like a kishu that hunts wild boar so that's why I assumed it was a kishu. Thanks for clarifying that it's not a kishu.
  • Hey Yas where did you get your jagd?
  • @shishiinu, I got my Jagdterrier from Knite Kennel located in Missouri. There are a few Jagdterrier kennels in Texas and I think they have some of the best jagds. The Jagds are becoming more and more popular around the world. I would say that 99% of them are kept by hunters. So far there is no such thing as a show dog for the jagdterrier breed. Jagds are bred for their grittiness, keen nose, and their ability to bay big game. Depending on what you're looking for, the German line and the Serbian line are the most gritty in my opinion. My Jagds isn't that gritty/catchy and his nose isn't super, but he's awesome at baying and super smart about not getting hurt. I totally think that Jagds and kishus would be a awesome team for hunting wild boar.
  • Sweet! I'm seeing them in packs here in Cali also. They most definitely have strong drive and lots of balls.
  • @shishiinu, have you bred koyuki yet? I'm still waiting for a pup from your kishu line.
  • edited October 2011
    The white dog is a West Siberian Laika, which are actually quite variable when it comes to expressed phenotype. They are pretty popular work as team alongside the Jagdterrier in Russia and Ukraine to work on boars. It is not an unusual combination.
  • @souggy, Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it looked a little different from a Kishu but I didn't know any other white dog breed like a kishu that hunt so I assumed it was a Kishu. The Laika in the video has some good hunting drive!!! I can't wait to get a Kishu and add it to my pack and go bear & hog hunting. I think they will make a killer team!
  • edited October 2011
    We have Laikas here too. The folks out on the Eastern seaboard have been importing them from Russia.. The thing is: the importers are looking for ones bred for upland games or for commercial fur-trade.

That is not to say you can't find a good line of boar/bear laiki because it's not uncommon for shady dealers to sell big-game dogs as squirrel-dogs as most of the West Siberians are used for big-game hunting nowadays in Europe. So they are out there.

Unless you are still bent on the Kishu? ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for interesting video.
    Those dogs are strong. They do not escape to their owner.
    I cannot photo video in this situation.
    Because I have to prepare a spear in a great hurry.
    A veteran's courage dog approached from slanting back of a wild boar and barks.
    If my dog is counterattacked from a wild boar, it escape to me.