Sosuke

edited April 2011 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Whew! 5am and we're finally all home and settled into bed. I'm really glad the older two kids spent the night with the grandparents, because that trip would have been murder with them. Sosuke was supposed to arrive just after 9pm, but he got there around 10:30. Then, we had to take all this paperwork through customs, which was way the heck in a different building, where we had to drive there and then do a lot of walking. There was this lady just ahead of me who was picking up a cat and she was yelling and holding everyone up, which was ironic because she was yelling about how it was taking so long. Once we got the paperwork through customs, we could FINALLY get Sosuke around midnight. So, that whole process was a real pain, but as soon as I saw the little pup, I forgot about all that.

He's sooo sweet. We took him out for a little stroll around the cargo area, although it was the middle of the night and it was raining/snowing, so we didn't do that for too long. Rakka came up with us, so they met each other in the parking lot and went for a pee break together. Sosuke's first reaction upon seeing Rakka was to run up to her waving his paws and wagging his tail. He's really friendly. Rakka was weirded out by the whole thing, and was acting like she was afraid of him. She snarked at him a bit, and he was totally unphased. Every time he sees her, he's like, "Friend!" and acts all playful. I don't think Rakka knows quite what to make of the whole thing just yet.

The ride home was really bad, in terms of weather. We didn't get home until 4:30am, whereas in good weather, we would have been home by 2:00-2:30am. Giant snow wads were falling and ruining the visibility and the roads were all half frozen, half wet. But, it was fun spending that time with our new pup. From the very start, he was wagging his tail and licking us, and just being so friendly. We gave him some water, some food, and he just cuddled right into my lap and went to sleep. When we got home, we played. As soon as I put him in his crate for the night, he was asleep. Almost faster than I could turn around. A very long and eventful day!

I only managed one picture, but it's not a very good one. This was taken in the light from the headlights. See those big gobs of snow?

IMG_0424

I was really cold in this picture because Sosuke had peed on my lap. Whoops!

Comments

• OMG, he is so cute...Congratulations Heidi!!
  • He is adorable!!!!!
  • Gongrats, he is so cute.
  • Heidi, glad all is well! What a journey, but Sosuke is so worth it! Thanks for the pic and the story of his arrival... A night you will never forget! Take care and enjoy your new pup! He is adorable!
  • Alright, people. You asked for it!

IMG_0434

IMG_0452

IMG_0460

IMG_0478

IMG_0483

IMG_0493

IMG_0502

IMG_0505

IMG_0542

IMG_0552

IMG_0557
  • edited April 2011
    Very cute! Too bad about peeing on your lap though. Must have made it a bit uncomfortable for sure!

You were crossposting the same time as me. Very nice photos now Heidi!
  • Augh! He is TOO cute with all the snow all over him, I can't stand it. :(
  • He looks great! Sucks about the trip and customs and all - that really blows. Is there something we could have done to make it easier with customs?

The picks look great, Rakka seems to like him now... or am I making an incorrect assumption?

Thanks for the pics!

----
  • @brada1878 I don't think there's anything you could have done. Customs will do what customs does. It would have been nice if you could have changed the weather for me, though. ;o) Really, though, the trip was fun. I was way too excited about getting Sosuke for any of that stuff to bother me.

One thing I have thought about though, is that it may have been easier to ship him to Montana and I could have crossed the border to pick him up. There's an airport in Great Falls, for instance, and according to google maps, it only takes 20 minutes longer to get to Great Falls than it does to get to Calgary. Bringing dogs across the border in car is no big deal at all. I brought Rakka across. They only want a rabies certificate (unless they're under 3 months - which Sosuke is) and they make you pay GST, but even the GST you can get out of if you just don't tell them you got the dog while you were down there. It might be a lot less expensive, too. I'm not sure how much shipping to MT would cost, but with fees and tax and actual shipping, and everything, this was about $450. So if shipping within the States is any cheaper than that, than crossing the border by road is probably the way to go.

Also, yes, Rakka likes him. :o) I think she still thinks his presence is weird, but they're having fun.
  • Yay Congrats Heidi! He's super cute.
  • Congrats Heidi! That pup is uber cute.
  • Awesome pics - Thanks for sharing! :)
  • He looks so cute! How is Naomi enjoying her birthday with a new puppy? :]
  • So glad he made it safe and sound!

And sucks about being peed on... First Brad, now you... I am waiting for a post any minute from Julie/Kevin and Chrystal. :-P
  • love the snow pics....cooool pup
  • Congrats! He is very cute :) Love the pics of him and Rakka!
  • Thanks everyone! I can't believe how good he is. Nothing phases him, he's just taking everything in stride. He's so good with Naomi, he's so good with Rakka, no accidents, he's learning the rules so quickly, and he makes no fuss about going in his crate. A very good first day indeed. Let's hope he's not just luring me into a false sense of security with all this good behaviour.

@jujee The birthday girl is having a lot of fun with her puppy friend. Oh, it's so adorable. I'm up to my ears in cute! She likes to lay down next to him and pet his soft fur.

IMG_0658

IMG_0635
  • He's cute as can be! Love the baby pics too (puppy and human baby) and I wonder if it makes him feel at home to have another little human to play with....

My Akita pup peed on my lap on the way home too....sigh...Luckily for me it was summer, so it wasn't that cold.
  • Aaaww too cute! I'm glad to hear he's taking it all calmly. What a good boy :)
    Really gorgeous pics...

Haha, yeah he's jus being easy now, so he can really freak you out when he starts his teenage antics later on :P
  • Those baby pics are too cute!
  • :) Hooray! I love these pictures, Heidi! Sosuke is super! :) Our pups were so well prepared for our homes, I think. Well chosen,too!
  • Those pics are great Heidi, it's amazing how dog friendly Naomi is.
  • he is totally gorgeous and your daughter is adorable as well.
  • Sosuke slept through Isaac's tantrum. That's very good. :o)
  • Is he sleeping throughout the night? Kyuubi didn't the first night, but the last two nights, full on 8 hours! Wooo! Brad and Jen definitely did very good with these pups!
  • Yep, he sleeps through the night. Naomi could take some pointers from him.
  • Heidi, I don't know how you do it. 3 kids and 2 dogs. Supermom!! :P
  • You wouldn't say that if you saw my house right now. Yikes. Doesn't help that I have strep throat.
  • cool thread. great you made it home safe in that crazy weather. those are some great pictures too, so cute

• good to know he's doing so well with the baby. @jujee and i have a few babies in our families now so i think kyuubi should do fine with them as well. when you get a chance, keep the pics coming!