ID Tags

edited March 2010 in Products & DIY
So, what's the best place to order pet ID tags online? I used to just order them through the local pet shop, but they just order them from someone else and I'm sure it would be faster to just order them online.

Along that line, what's your favourite style of pet ID tag? What ID tags do you keep on your pet?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    We brindles love Boomerang Tags collar tags on their martingale and hunting collars. They slide on the flat collar- no dangling, no jangling! They are thick stainless steel and engraved deeply and arrive quickly after the order. Very durable too- One of Sage's collars got lost (I took it off him while outside after a trip and forgot I left it on the roof of my car...) and was hit by a truck- the nylon buckles broke but the tag was in great shape and the driver read my contact info off it and called me to return the collar.
    boomerangtags.com

When we move, I will get a collar tag for Sage's harness too.

Tag has Dog's name, my name, town and cell #. They each have one collar with their rabies tag, town lic tag, and a "I am microchipped" tag.

Since my sis is up here so often she puts her cell and my cell #s on her tags so it says "PENN- 123-456-7899" on one line and "MASS - 508-508-5088" below.
  • edited November -1
    Slide-on tags won't work for us because we use rolled leather collars, but I see they have regular tags as well. Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Chrystal... I use the boomerang tags as well. I have both the collar tags and the regular stainless hang tags (which I NEVER use because I love the collar tags and their no jingle jangle). I have ordered several of their tags and have always had great luck with them. I have even ordered the plastic tags (coloured with white underneath)... And they work well granted you do not have a dog that chews on its collar. :)
  • edited November -1
    I'm lazy, the Petco/Petsmart near me has an automatic tag engraver, so basically the tag is made right in front of me. Before that, I used to work at an engraving store and take the "waste" tags from discarded products and engrave the tags myself. It was great being able to put designs and position the text in some weird fancy way.

There was one site where we ordered the CGC dog tags for the boys, instead of the traditional engraved names they actually would punch the information into the metal. This made the letters deeper and still legible after getting scratched up. They offer tags in different metal styles (including 14k gold and silver) as well as plastic tags

http://www.epettags.com/
  • edited March 2010
    Since Koda is Catholic you know. We get the blessing charms. Then I take it to Sears and get it engraved.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh! Sage wants the Buddha tag from Tara's link: "Rub my belly for good luck"- that's my boy for sure.

*edited to avoid losing a karma point for misspelling Buddha the first time. :)
  • edited November -1
    ha ha ha. I love the Buddha! Koda has St. Francis right now.
  • edited November -1
    Well, the humans in the family are Mormon, so maybe an engraved CTR necklace, lol. I should ask the dogs what religion they are. Who knows, maybe Rakka would like a burka. Probably not, though. She's probably part of some nudist cult.
  • edited November -1
    I think Reilly must be a Baptist, when we walk to town she goes right up the steps of the Baptist church, as if she fully expects someone is waiting to let her inside.

In our town, the Episcopalians have a Blessing of the Animals on St Francis' Day (dont know when that is). I think Sage could do with a blessing and a sprinkle of holy water but he probably needs a private confessional. :)
  • edited March 2010
    I bet a lot of dogs are Garbage Eaters.
  • edited November -1
    St. Francis' Saint Day, also his feast day, is on Oct. 4 I believe. I know that is so Italian of me to know that.

But aren't those tags cute! I get a kick out of them. They also have matching collars.
  • edited November -1
    Blessing of the Animals, St. Francis Day, is indeed October 4.

I think Sukoshi must have been a Buddhist in an earlier life. She is so "Zen". Plus, if I feed her on a paper plate, she will pick it up to ask for refills. Kind of a begging bowl.
  • edited November -1
    We have a problem with our tags getting scratched up so bad that after a couple months you can't read them. Do the flat-collar tags stay legible longer? We can't read their rabies tags anymore and it's been less than 6 months.
  • edited November -1
    Koda doesn't even wear his rabies tag on his collar because of that. I have a key ring on the leash that I move from one to the other. I figure if he's out and about, I have a leash with me. I also keep his license on that one.
  • edited November -1
    Nicole - I have had the collar tag for Bella for about 4 years... Still 100% legible. Nola's tag has to be washed off every once in a while because she gets mud all over it, but it is also still 100% legible... And I have had hers for over a year and a half (since July 2008).

LOVE Boomerang Tags. :)
  • edited November -1
    I ordered me some bommerang tags saturday. Cant wait to see them
  • edited November -1
    OOhh, great ideas all the way around! Thanks all!
  • edited November -1
    I was about to order the Boomerang tags, when I noticed that luckypet.com had metal tags with plastic frames, which I thought would be good for Tojo because tags stain his fur (but not Rakka or Skella, oddly enough), so I figured it would have the durability of metal without the staining.

It's a nice idea, but I'm not actually too impressed with the quality of these tags. I mean, they're not total junk, but they cost the same as the ones I order from the pet store, and those were clearly far superior. They are stainless steel/brass, but the engraving just isn't as deep.

So, I'm wishing I had gone with Boomerang tags or the pet store ones instead, but these aren't horrible. I'll just replace them with something better when they wear out. I should ask that pet store where they get their tags, because those really were the best tags I've seen in person. Tojo's fur can stain, or I can put them in tag bags. No big deal. I mean, if he's lost, I'm not going to be worried about whether his chin fur is spotless or not.
  • edited November -1
    forgot to update, got my tags tuesday and the looked so nice and got them before the new collars I ordered. As of right now they still looks like new. ^_^ happy camper here. I put the girls microchipp info on the tags, easier for my to update ...
  • edited November -1
    I have Red Dingo tags for my dogs, I like them because most tags you see are made out of flat, thin metal but these are nice and thick. They remind me of a smooth stone from the river, how it's nice to hold and play with.

Here's the site for it http://reddingo.com/html/products.htm, I got the stainless steel with enamel tags, they have a lot more designs available then when I got mine. The funny thing about these guys is that you can't actually order from them unless you're a store. I just clicked on contact though and asked where I could buy them and they gave me some sites.
  • I ordered a boomerang collar tag for Rakka. I found out you could, in fact, put them on a roller leather collar, as long as there are two holes left unused, then you just slide the tag onto the flat part. I did have to get her a smaller collar, but now she has a nice rolled leather collar and boomerang collar tag! This was kind of a frivolous purchase because her other tag and collar were still functional, but I'm convinced now that this is my favourite collar/tag combo.
  • Heidi why do you prefer the rolled leather collars over other collars?
  • They don't wreck the fur as much, and they are less visible so they make the dog look more "naked." They're quite sturdy, too, and I always prefer metal buckles to plastic ones, which these always have.
  • Oo thanks. Never really thought about the reasons behind different collars lol. Mihku's collar and leash were from the 99 cents store :P
  • I know I'm bringing up an old thread but I buy Red Ding tags. They're really high quality imho. It's also about $15.
  • I just wanted to add another shout out for Boomerang Tags. They are great quality, and last forever, of course, but also, the owner was really helpful with me in getting the right size for Leo's white pine collar. Turns out those collars are not a standard size, and so even though I consulted with the owner first, and thought we had it right, the first size (mini) did not fit. But even though he usually won't replace mismeasurements, he did in this case because we'd consulted on it. In fact, I told him the tag didn't fit, and asked what to do about it, and he said, nothing, and that he had made a new tag before he'd even responded to my email.

I really appreciated it! Great tags, and great customer service! (And if anyone is ever trying to get a tag to fit the 9/16th inch white pine collar, go with size small, not mini!)