StoneWall's philosophy on breeding Tosas seems contradictory to me, however, I could be wrong

edited December 2010 in General
I was looking on this Tosa breeder site, tosa-inu.com. It's disclaimer at the bottom of the page is "StoneWall and or any person affiliated with StoneWall do NOT indorse, promote or sell dogs of any breed for the intent of dog fighting where it is illegal. StoneWall has the right to refuse the sale of any or all Tosas that StoneWall owns or brokers for a owner, for any reason we feel necessary, in the best interest of the breed. Thank you for your interest and understanding."

http://tosa-inu.com/Litter Announcements and Adults/8th Hara Jo StoneWall.htm has an article about a Yokozuna. Yokozuna basically is the Sumo wrestling equivalent of being a Black Belt. However, for a company that adheres to the aforementioned philosophy, wouldn't imported a Yokozuna seem contradictory? Sure, you can import a champion Tosa and train it in a way so it won't fight. Not that I am necessarily thinking the company is lying but it just seems contradictory to their philosophy.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Not really, maybe you need to reread that statement (I added some bold text to help you)...

"StoneWall and or any person affiliated with StoneWall do NOT indorse, promote or sell dogs of any breed for the intent of dog fighting where it is illegal. StoneWall has the right to refuse the sale of any or all Tosas that StoneWall owns or brokers for a owner, for any reason we feel necessary, in the best interest of the breed. Thank you for your interest and understanding."

----
  • Okay, it was just me. However, I am thankful dog fighting is illegal in many parts of America and the same thing applying to many other countries.
  • Dog fighting is illegal in ALL parts of America. In fact it is a federal offense.
  • They also spelled endorse wrong. Never trust anyone not smart enough to spell-check their own website....
  • It is important to also read up on the event itself.

Per the website:
    Tosa wrestling is very similar to Sumo wrestling, and follows similar rules. Led to the ring by silk ropes, the Tosas wear embroidered ceremonial robes which can cost $30,000 or more. The two dogs are placed (robe-free) in a gazebo-shaped ring ten feet in diameter in the presence of a chief judge, two assistant judges, and three or more examiners. The dogs lock heads and attempt to push each other out of the ringed area.

No sanctioned Tosa-Ken match is to the finish. The time limit is 30 minutes and typically the fights last no longer than ten minutes. Any barking or growling disqualifies the dog. The winning dog is not necessarily the one to attack more often or more viscously. Victory depends solely on the spirit of the Tosa-Inu.

Approved matches are between male dogs only. Although females are extremely brave when compared to other breeds. Tosa-Ken females are typically used as home guardians. Like any sportsman, the male is placed under a strict living regimen and is regularly exercised. That consist of up to 10 miles a day. -That said this is a cut and paste off the web so make your own conclusions.

Another article can be found here...
    http://www.amorosity.com/article/Uegfryl

The jist of it - is that the Tosa will bump heads and push each other out of the ring. It sounds like there is no biting going on or "traditional" dog fighting. IMO the abuse would come from people who train these dogs in a non humane maner. I would further venture to say that today's Tosa wrestling is more show like than what went on in the past.
  • As much as people liken Tosa fights to sumo wrestling, it doesn't consist of bumping heads or pushing out of a ring.
  • I'm sure this fighting style still requires selecting for dog aggressive animals.
  • Well this seems to answer it for me:

• One thing that's common in dog fighting legal or illegal is the presence of organized crime and illegal activity. For years the japanese dog fighting scene has had some influence from organized crime so regardless of how the fighting is conducted, its always a hot spot for deuchebags.

Not down playing the presence of abuse and unethical treatment of animals. But most of these events all over the world include all sorts of criminal activity. Although I'm sure many will see what I do with my dogs as cruel and inhumane.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, regardless, I might name my Tosas the following: Heracles for the boy and Medea for the girl. Both were part of the Argonauts, and Medea's role as villain/heroine/victim/mother/murderer/witch all rolled together make her unique. I suppose you could argue she was kind of the Heracles of the Greek heroines status wise.