Nihon ken in games and movies

2»

Comments

• I just watched the first episode of N.G. the other day after some one showed me Ginga Densetsu Weed (Its just so funny to watch). I like Nagareboshi Gin more maybe, or I can just take it more seriously I guess. Weed's animation was just too hilarious.

I did notice most the dogs seemed to have really peculiar markings for the breeds the were supposed to be in Weed.

: )
  • Nagareboshi Gin is way better animated and more realistic, more attention to detail. And yes, the story is also more believable ;) Nagareboshi Gin was my favorite series as a kid, and I love the akitas, but at that time I thought the breed were made up, I didn't realize till later that they were actually real ;) Haha...

My initial interest in NK is because of the Ginga series! So thanks to Yoshihiro Takahashi for creating them! RESPECT TO YOU! :D
  • Oh, we have a danish site (though in english) dedicated to the Ginga series, and there's a lot of info, incl. episode list, breeds in the series, and loads more. Take a look if you'd like: www.gingasite.net
  • edited December 2010
    In Naruto, I'm assuming the Ninken ("Ninja Dog") Shiba is the dog that bears his name.
  • Oh! I forgot to add foopets.com to the list. they have a white shiba inu that you can adopt for a pet.
  • edited December 2010

so cute shiba :)

lol when i saw this akita!!
  • edited July 2012
    I think there are some nihon ken in this part of the movie. I spotted a kishu and a kai ken. Btw this is a great movie :) the scenes with the dogs starts at the 6:48 mark
  • If any of you guys have played the recent games by the Tales series (Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Xillia) you'll notice that the dogs you encounter across the cities look just like shibas, and specifically in Xillia, the dogs are larger and white, which makes me guess Kishu, Ainu, or Akita.
  • Nihon ken spotting on some games I've been playing. :3

First one is white colored one on tales of xilia the game also has B&T colored ones too.
    The size of the dogs are bit bigger so I think they could be different breed like Araks said Akita, Ainu or kishu..
    photo DSC_0097_zpscc740378.jpg

photo DSC_0101_zpsb6b7cf0d.jpg

My new game fantasy life has pet option there is few choices a cat, dog, bird and dragon.

I got three shiba inu B&T, cream and red.

Pets kinda act like party members which they help fight monsters.
    photo HNI_0073_zps4a6e5646.jpg

photo HNI_0078_zps0a502ef2.jpg

photo HNI_0080_zpsf09e2ae2.jpg
  • I might have to check out the game! I like it when dogs can join the party as a real member (like in Dragon Age).

And wow, that Akita in the video above looks a lot like Zora! (And that was well before Zora was born or even thought of! :) )
  • I know they were mentioned in a different thread, but the Nihon Ken in Okami-- there's a Kai Ken (Hayabusa) and Shiba Inu (Umetaro) for the native breeds and a Tosa Inu (Teikou) and a Karafuto Ken (Takenosuke) for other Japanese breeds. I think one of them is supposed to be a Japanese Spitz, too... I don't remember what that one's name is.
  • edited November 2014
    Yes there is also a collie and a pointer. At first I was surprised at how big takenosuke was compared to ammy. Then when you reach Hokkaido there are bigger wolves there too. This makes me think that ammy is a Honshu wolf. There are also several adorable shiba inu you can feed throughout the game.

In the movie sword of the stranger there is a shiba inu called tobimaru who is a fighter and actually kills a man. He is drawn pretty realistically. However his growls are that of a wolf and not a shiba.

Wolf children features a few Honshu wolves

Ururu's forest stars a ezo wolf pup(live acted by a hybrid wolf)

Shiroi senshi Yamato is a dog fighting manga by yoshihiro featuring two karafuto ken, several Akita inu, some tosas, and two Shikoku inu. He also wrote kacchu senshi gamu; a samurai dog manga featuring kishu inu, Matagi inu, and a Kai ken. Yoshi is currently working on "ginga densetsu akame" which features normal and yushoku kishu inu.

• I think a Akita mix is going to be in the new Annie movie.
  • It looked like a Shiba to me. 1:01 looks like a mix. 1:57 looks like a Shiba butt.
  • edited November 2014
    Well I only got a glimpse. And doesn't its head seem too large? Must be a mix with something

Edit: found an image

Looks like a random mix breed pup. Maybe a NK/shepherd of some sort. Very nice dog though
  • edited December 2014
    I forgot about this game having Tosa.. I just bought it last weekened.. just did the tutorial and played some of the Pomeranian stage. can't wait to be a bigger predator.. lol

My little pomeranian takes down chickens, cats and rabbits.. I tried to attack a cow, but got killed. Not sure if there is any Nihon ken like shiba or anything like that, but I seen Tosa in the trailer for the game..
  • @brada1878 Brad's tosa need giant bows.
  • Makes me sad that they are using a shaved dog in Annie, would probably look more NK with its full coat.
  • I noticed that too, @Calia!

Found this article. Doesn't say WHY she was trimmed, but I'm guessing they wanted her to look "different" from the previous incarnations of Sandy. She's supposedly a 6 year old retriever-chow mix from a NY shelter.
    Marti was the 16th dog to audition, and, with her fluffy chow hair trimmed down, she scored the role.
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/14/meet-the-rescue-dog-playing-sandy-in-annie/
  • @saya what game is that with the tosa? I really like the art style!
  • That game looks like Tokyo Jungle
  • It's from a ps3 game called tokyo jungle it's on the playstation network and also sold in a bundle game which comes with few other networks games on the disc for $19.99 or something like that.

It's fun and can also be frustrating.. My last play in survival did pretty good till I picked a fight with two golden retrievers.. thought there was just one, but there was another nearby which came to aid of the one I attacked. I'm still learning best way to survive. It'll probably get better once I unlock the bigger predators.
    http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Best-PSN-1-Playstation-3/dp/B001ARHJE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418844559&sr=8-3&keywords=tokyo+jungle

trailer for the game

This video shows kinda basics of game play

You can get clothes to put on your animal gives stat boost for wearing clothes so I guess one of the clothes option for tosa is that.

My Pomeranian has a small olive green dog shirt.

• edited January 2015
    So I was watching an episode of Kamisama Kiss (Kamisama Hajimemashita) and noticed a suspicious billboard in the background of one scene...

NK in Kamisama Kiss

Seems like a Kai-kun Soft Bank reference to me...
  • Ahh, I didn't catch that @WhoBitMe!

But speaking of Soft Bank, there's an awesome joke in the first episode of Hoozuki no Reitetsu.

relating to Shiro, who's undoubtedly a Hokkaido
  • Has anyone seen Claire Denis' L'intrus? I keep wondering if Trebor's dogs are AA or a nihon ken mix. Their profiles, tails, and their expression in the scene [begin spoiler] where they run after his car [end spoiler] really makes me think NK.

Note: For anyone not familiar with Claire Denis, the idea of spoilers doesn't apply that well, given her fondness for elliptical and primarily visual storytelling.
  • They look like Japanese Akita - just in the movie poster/promo stuff. I haven't seen the movie. Maybe I should watch!
  • @crispy - I thought so initially, but then I looked at some show photos of JA and the fur seemed to be much longer on the show dogs. I have to admit while watchin the movie I did wonder how they managed to get the dogs well trained enough to have them running wild off leash for the film but not actually run off where they didn't want, given the scope of the shots and the budget they were working with for the film. I was just surprised to see what looked like NKs in a film that starts in the Jura mountains.

[off-topic]

A bit sad but the dogs are barely in the film. That's actually pretty much true for everyone in the film aside from the main actor. I found the film beautiful and it stays with you, but I would only recommend it if you are either already familiar with (and a fan of) her work, or if you are fine with films without narrative structure. I think of her work as kind of elliptical, impressionistic tone poems made by a sensualist. I've seen her work compared to Nuri Bilge Ceylan, and Carlos Reygadas but I have not seen either of their work yet. I've seen her compared to Terrence Malick too, but Malick's films by comparison (to this one) are cluttered with dialogue and narrative framework. She's a very fascinating and talented director, but her films will try the patience of some.
  • edited April 2017
    Bumping this I spotted a shiba inu on persona 5.

You can listen in on owners conversation something like older lady says lets go home it's dangerous out during evening or something like that. young girl says no dog wants to walk some more and he'll protect us. something like that forgot what the dog's name ended with a taro forgot the first part.
    Here's a few pictures of the pup. It's very minor. Persona 3 had a shiba on it.
    http://imgur.com/a/WoqVw