Victoria Stilwell or Cesar Millan: Who would you call?

13»

Comments

• edited May 2010

• edited November -1
  • edited November -1
    You guys are cracking me up on the (non) Cesar Clips...Hilarious! (And also they pretty much all get at the problem with Millan). And I love the actor in the second ones....He was on the Wire! And Southpark--we always used to say that if my male Shiba was a character on South Park, he'd be Cartman...*lol*
  • edited November -1
    akitarise
    I asked my girlfriend who is part of the AHA's behavioral team about that post. She said they were delighted that he is open to discuss why they are so disapproving of his methods, but that they IN NO WAY endorse his training techniques at all.
  • edited May 2010
    @jessicarabbit
    I am not implying that AHA endorses his methods. I posted it due to this -Recently American Humane met with the National Geographic Channel and Cesar Millan, with whom we have had some sharp differences of view in the past, to discuss issues of concern to both parties. We are pleased with the collaborative conversation that resulted, and while we do not agree in all areas, we are surprised with the many areas of mutual interest we find that we do share.Millan has indicated an interest and intent to participate in the symposium.- Im pleased to hear that he plans to attend the symposium. Perhaps he will learn why so many people have a problem with his methods and develop different techniques that will be less controversial.

@ Brad1878
    i read the article. It was very interesting as i am new to all the different training methods that are used on this forum. But to be honest I still don't consider Cesar to be a horrible person.The Pack leader and leadership term mean the same thing to me. I don't agree with treating a dog for everything. I don't agree with alpha rolling a dog either. So I am still learning about the different methods at this time. I trained my own dogs without problems by making them work for what they want. I used shht ( which i used long before i ever heard of Cesar) by tapping the dogs on the nose when they mouthed me too hard and i dont have fearful dogs. They are happy dogs to me.
  • edited November -1
    Has anyone read this article? So much for being the Pack Leader...

http://jeandonaldson.com/jeans-blog-mainmenu-51/64-are-dogs-pack-animals
  • edited November -1
    I <3 Jean Donaldson. I could read her articles all day. I swear I will take her dog training program just to spend more time with her.

But Sarah I guess you're right, so much for pack leaders! LOL
  • edited November -1
    Okay, I can't even lie. That Charlie Murphy video was hysterical.
  • edited November -1
    Oh my God, thank you for that link. I gave it to someone on another forum who was recommending Millan to fellow forum member.
  • edited November -1
    All i know victoria Tells a dog about 50 times to sit...sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit,sit..Come on which sit do you want the first or last..
  • edited November -1
    Actually she often correct owners for giving a command repeatedly.
  • edited November -1
    I dont know about that..The last episode i watched I was pretty sure that i heard her say Sit at least seven time...Any its not only in that one episode...To each his own...
  • edited November -1
    I have noticed some technique slip-ups on Victoria's part too... But, I'll take a few technique screw ups over hanging a dog by his leash any day.

No one is perfect. Repeating a queue a few too many times while training a dog, or having poor timing with a clicker when capturing a behavior will not hurt a dog. Can't really say the same for some of the other TV trainer's techniques.

----
  • edited November -1
    Yep, I totally agree with Brad here. Good post.

As for saying something seven or eight times....huh, does she have a Shiba? *lol*
  • edited November -1
    I agree with that too... There's a difference between doing something not perfect and hurting a dog on purpose...

But repeating commands too often is really not good especially with a stubborn Shiba, that only learns "I don't have to obey the command now, she'll give it six times more anyways!"... ;)