Yushoku Kishu (another pic added 4/11)

Just a short clip of a Yushoku (colored) Kishu I've seen several times at the regional Nippo shows. In my opinion not necessarily the best sample of a colored Kishu, but since there's so little footage out there I thought I'd upload it.

Personally I think the dark masking in her face, and uneven body color are less than what I would like.

Comments

• edited November -1
    i have to agree, i am not real hip on her markings.
  • edited November -1
    hmm, very interesting.
  • edited November -1
    I actually like her colouring :) Looks like someone took a white Kishu & rolled them in ash haha ~
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Interesting from a color genetics point of view. The coat is like a shikoku's but with all the yellow/red coloring got lightened to white. (Almost like what you see in Siberians.)
  • edited November -1
    Oh man that is exactly what I want. One of these days I will cross Taro with a nice female like that.

As a side note, Kishu's not too long ago was predominantly colored and as a matter of fact I have read that as much as 70% of Kishu ken's were colored.
  • edited November -1
    Good coloring or not, it's pretty cool to see one.
  • edited November -1
    I really like the colored Kishu. Would love to own one some day (way off in the future).
  • edited November -1
    Yup, you're right on Gen. The majority of Kishu's were colored, the issue being that white kishu x white kishu almost 100% of the time equals white pups. I've found some amazing Yushoku Kishu in Gunma, Gen. I'll be going up to take a look soon, absolutely studly male up there. Might put him over Momo her next heat if all goes well. The guy specializes in Yushoku Kishu so has quite a few. He wasn't too happy with the one I took the video of, the coloration on her face needs to be more defined to be 'standard'.
  • edited November -1
    Nice!! Man some times I wish I picked a job that allows me to go back to Japan. Well if you ever find a yushoku female that needs a home, my doors are wide open. By the way, the breeder in Gunma isn't MiyakoTakara is it? I have been haunting their website and they have hunting line Yushoku Kishus too.

If you get a good pup out of Momo, you will have some hard hunting pups for sure. By the way have you heard of Kodake line of Kishu kens? I have been reading a book about them and sounds like they are a bit different in hunting instinks from the Hosoda line. Loose mouth, bark while trailing, and more of a bay dog.
  • edited November -1
    No, the kennel isn't Miyako Takara, but I have their website bookmarked too. Some good looking dogs there. The Kodake line is really famous, but not the type of dog I'm looking for. Don't even know if there are even anymore real Kodake Kishu around.
  • edited November -1
    I really like the look of colored Kishu. I love the sturdy build of Kishu.
  • edited November -1
    So apparently (from what I've heard) white in Kishu is a recessive gene, and white Kishu don't carry 'color' genes, while 'colored' Kishu carry white and color genes. So that's why white x white Kishu = all white pups, and here we are today.
  • edited November -1
    I like color, rarer than the white but it's all the same attractive.
  • aykayk
    edited April 2010
    There are probably three genes that causes white in Kishu.

One gene controls agouti black patterning, determining whether a dog would be red, sesame or black/tan. (One gene but 3 alleles for that gene.) Order of dominance is red > sesame > black/tan

Another gene controls whether the dog shows full color or is completely washed out to a yellow/white. Full color > wash out

Another gene, sometimes refer to as a modifier, takes yellow/white and makes it into a snow-white.

The Yushoku Kishu in the video has the sesame pattern from the first gene. It is not homozygous for the recessive wash-out from the second gene. Does have the modifier to take out the yellow/white and change just those hairs to snow white.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    BTW, if you come across a white Kishu with black whiskers, then that dog is actually a "colored" Kishu. Breeding this type of dog to a normal white Kishu can produce colored Kishu pups.
  • edited November -1
    2006 Nihon Ken Show in Nagano...

...my very first NIPPO show...

...these are some photos I took:

Puppy:

Adult:

I wish I had gotten photos of the Red colored Ki as well but I didn't =/. I do have video of this Kishu though =) but I need to figure out how to get it off my video camera and onto the computer and compress size so that I can upload it online.
  • edited November -1
    Holy crap that Kishu is amazing! I don't know how he compares to the standard, but damn he's really great looking. I'd take him in a heartbeat. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Nice! Damn it every one, now you got my hunting dog bug going again.........time to plan another trip to Japan.
  • edited November -1
    Take me with you!
  • edited November -1
    We'll find a lovely "colored" female Ki for Taro and sneak a few hunting-line Shiku along the way =p.
  • edited November -1
    Lets do it.....actually I'm already planning a trip some time this year to take the whole family over there. It will be the first trip to Japan for my wife and step daughters! I hope I can secure a pup for the return trip back.
  • edited November -1
    A Yushoku Kishu I saw today at the Ibaragi Regional. Again, not a very impressive dog IMO, but a Yushoku Kishu nonetheless. He was a bit undersize.

CIMG0658
  • edited November -1
    Miyako Takara Kishu on Youtube for Gen :)

• edited November -1
    I enjoy seeing these dogs outside their common color- it makes me look more at their shape, and I see from all these NK in japan how different their faces can be, the range of pointy-boxy (foxy->beary), the different amounts of scruff, stop, etc. :)
  • edited November -1
    One of these days if I can I would like to get a female Kishu from Miyako Takara. Most of their dogs are hunting dogs and I was told that most of the pups take on to become good pig dogs.

I just need two more NK hunting dogs and I will be set. Just sucks that I cant fly out whenever I want or I would have my dream pack.
  • Are these Yushoku Kishu? I found them on a Japanese site while just simply searching "Kishu" and it was hard for me to discern while struggling through all my available Japanese knowledge + Google Translate

• yup they sure are. Those pups are from a well known breeder too.
  • Those kishu are beautiful.
  • Those are neat! Noah wants a kishu next. I wonder if we'll ever get around to owning the same breed of dog twice...
  • http://blog.livedoor.jp/syokota2/archives/cat_50007701.html is the site I found them on. They ARE very cute. I still like the white ones a lot tho.

Do the sesame lighten up a lot as they age? I know London started off as almost all black/cream and now that he's aged and his fur has grown in, he's very pale grey with light cream/white. Does this happen in the Kishu or are the yushoku what-you-see-is-what-you-get?