Do you know this dog?

Comments

• aykayk
    edited November -1
    Yes. I haven't seen him in person since last April though. I can connect you with Nichole, who fields questions about the foster dogs, or Linda, his foster mom, if you would like more info.
  • edited November -1
    I was interested in hearing if he was full Jindo?

He's very handsome, and looks to have a great personality - I am interested in him, but I dunno how he would do in a multi-dog homes. What do you think?

Also, we get a lot of interest from people looking for rugged dogs to hike with, often asking for young adults - and we cannot provide much help - so I was thinking I might get a list of similar breeds/dogs together to recommend to people like that. So I was thinking Iri may be a good candidate.

----
  • aykayk
    edited January 2010
    Iri was pulled from the shelter as a 4 month old pup. The shelter is located in an area that has occasional Jindos coming in through their doors. At first, I was rather dubious about him because of his coloring, his ear set, and his hyper behavior (no "off" switch at all). His coloring did show up at one of the Jindo shows in Los Angeles though, in a female owned since puppyhood, so that color gene is in the southern CA population. Some people could say that coloring came from a shepherd influence way back when, but that's advanced Jindo politics and not usually something adopters are all that interested in. His ear set tends to be more erect rather than pitched forward which is proper. At adulthood, his body style is more of the stockier style rather than the lithe style. It's not from overfeeding. :-) At over two years of age, I've been told that he's finally mellowing out.

Iri was originally placed out-of-state as a pup in a multi-dog home (Shibas). It was felt that with their experience and his young age, it would be possible to work out the pack dynamics. He was returned by the adopters without a whole lot of information. We could only infer that he was just too much energy for them. He has lived in foster homes with multiple dogs, though not as many as your pack. Perhaps 4 max for free interactions. He is currently fostered with another male Jindo. They have been fine with each other. He used to be fostered together with a female who was rather pushy and demanding, and he did object to her.

Nichole usually likes to hitch up the foster dogs in a sled team for exercise, but she hasn't done it with Iri. Although he jumps, runs, and does everything just fine, structurally, he should have stronger hocks to pull a load. If you've ever seen Akitas that seem to push foward their weight and double-joint their rear hocks, that's what Iri does sometimes. It's called slipped hocks.

Iri is his foster person's favorite foster dog so she wants to have him placed local to ensure his placement is permanent. We can override her, but with his failed placement the first time around, it's not our first choice either to place him out of state.
  • edited November -1
    Ok, thanx for the info. He sounds like a great dog, but it sounds like we are not a good fit since we are in NM.

I will pass anyone that comes along via Yamabushi to him, hopefully I can help you guys find him his forever home.

----