Tangent is on the scene!

edited November 2009 in Other Breeds
Preparing for the new arrival

Photobucket

Safe and sound arrival in MD. I met the transport at 2:30 AM at a Hagerstown shopping plaza Saturday morning.

Photobucket

Meeting Triepak, getting a chicken bit for being a gentleman, and treats for everyone for being good Laika ambassadors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Riding shotgun on the way to the park

Photobucket

Park Bench! Tuli is hard to impress (check out her face!), but she showed great restraint.

Photobucket

Photobucket

TIny dog in a BIG bed.

Photobucket

Tuckered out old man

Photobucket

Comments

• edited November -1
    LOL, awesome pics...Congrats on the new addition, he is too cute:)
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! I'm happy he is finally with you guys and the meetings went well. He's really cute!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! Sounds like things are going extremely smoothly.

I love the pick of them on the park bench arranged in size order. :-)
  • edited November -1
    He is real cute! Nice Laika
  • edited November -1
    Congrats he's really a cute guy.
  • edited November -1
    Save the park bench photo for next year's calendar!
  • edited November -1
    Looks like he fits right in.... Honorary Laika you could say (LOL).

Congrats!
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! So adorable, I love the "family portrait" :D ~
  • edited November -1
    What a cute little man!
    Even at what seems to be a very respectable age, he still has this look of mischief in his face, like he could turn into a spitfire in no time.
    Congrats on the new addition to the "T"eam!
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations! What a nice group photo and glad everything is going well with the introductions.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats - he's adorable! I love the name.

What kind of dog do you think he is? How old? He's definitely terrier and they definitely remain mischievous well into their teens!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! Glad he made it safe and sound and the introductions went smoothly. :)
  • edited November -1
    Thanks all. He is a pretty funny old man. He can go the distance, but not the speed. I think the Trio is giving him an 'elder pass' since they were all so nonchalant about his presence.

We suspect he is a Patterdale Terrier mix. See http://www.cmcpatterdales.com/ for some purebred representatives.

We believe he is quite aged. Probably around 13 years or so. In his prime he was probably the definition of spitfire! He has a myriad of issues that I need to tackle.

1. He sounds like a chain smoker. Hacks, wheezes, snorts, and whistles. Probably suffers from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). I need to get some chest rads done and see what all is going on in there. Hopefully he'll get some relief from a bronchodilator and low-dose pred. He is able to sleep and he stays nice and pink, so I don't believe him to be suffering tremendously. But, I can't start steroids until I resolve problem #2.

2. He's got a nasty pyoderma (primarily on his abdomen) and is quite itchy. Of course, it's difficult to nibble/itch when you have no incisors! He's also got a balding, flakey, thickened patch on the left side of his head and chest. I haven't done a skin scrape yet but he's going to be treated for mites regardless since sarcoptes are often difficult to pick up on a scrape and then get some systemic antibiotics and medicated shampoos. If his senior bloodwork looks OK, he may get a systemic antifungal as well for malasezzia. Might be just atopy, but mites should always be ruled out. The bloodwork will provide thyroid status as well.

3. His rear is asymetrical. He always sits on the left hip and may have an old cruciate injury or arthritis associated with LP or something since he has difficulty flexing the right stifle. He's been started on Dasuquin and fish oil. I don't want to bombard the little dude with meds so we'll have to tackle things systematically.

4. Things I can't fix: Doesn't hear very well. Doesn't see very well. The wonky ear is from an old aural hematoma. The pinna is now scarred down.

But, despite all that, he's peppy and cheerful. We will enjoy him as long as he's around whether it is a few months or a few years.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for adopting a senior. My dog Piglet was a bit of an old lady (not 13 though geez!) and by far one of the greatest loves of my life. I hope you are given plenty of time to enjoy him.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, poor guy. Lucky he found you to make him comfortable for the rest of his life. He deserves a nice, quiet, and comfortable retirement.

You are definitely earning doggy karma points for welcoming him into your family!
  • edited November -1
    Defintiely doggie karma points. That old dude's going to really be all right now for the rest of the course. Good ol Tangent.
    my cap is off to you!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! He is a cutie, even at his age ;o)
  • edited November -1
    Sarah: So glad Tangent is finally with you and the meeting and greeting went well! Tangent is definitely a cute one, even at his advanced old age! Love the pic of the dogs on the bench... everyone looks very happy with one another and polite!