NIPPO Classic 2016 - May 20-21 Michigan
  • NIPPO Classic - May 20-21 in Michigan- a lot of us met up at this show a few years ago in Ohio, and it was really fun to see everyone and their dogs in Real Life!

Premuim is not available yet (will be out April 1st), but the dates and location are- Who wants to come? Shiba, JA, Kishu, Hokkaido, Kai and Shikoku- bring 'em out!

http://www.nippoclassic.org/index.html
  • I'll come with my shikoku pup, shell be almost 5 months around that time :)

@grayjj join with one of yours?
    Allison & Mayumi

JSXM9188
  • They have all the Puppies show on Friday ( I think), so make sure you go for that! There is not much cuter...
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    I obviously can't show Mya or Shelby, but I'd really like to go. Do many people bring their dogs just to meet up and be spectators?
    Lauren
  • CrispyCrispy
    I want to afford a road trip... but I might not be able to do this one in time...
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • Oh wow!! This is actually pretty close to me. I know nothing about showing dogs, but I'd love to show the girls! I'm gonna plan on doing this...
  • I really want to go, it would be a great chance to meet the breeds! And its relatively close which is a plus. We'll see, though..
  • excellent chance to meet the breeds!
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    Will definitely have to be there! How newbie friendly is the show? I don't even know if Takeo would behave in the ring...
  • There are some rules, but its not as formal as dog shows you see on tv. At the link above, there is a page about "A NIPPO-style show" that gives details.

I am not experienced with dog shows, but when I took Matsu to this as a puppy, we had some walking in the ring and standing still, but you don't stand beside them and pose them. It's a more natural thing I guess? Tails should be up. The judge examines each dog separately first, and they check teeth (you show him the teeth for a quick count) feel the coat/ the body down the back... more walking back and forth or diagonally. Then later they do the group all together.

Most likely except for Shibas, you will know everyone/dog there because there are so few of these breeds, that anyone who will bring any is someone here, or someone once removed from someone here. So it should be what they call in soccer terms a "Friendly" match.
  • perfect I'll come friday to show my pup then stick around saturday to watch everyone else :)
    Allison & Mayumi

JSXM9188
  • To all the people who are coming to watch but not show... any reason why you're not planning on showing? Showing is a crap shoot and you really don't know if you're going to win or not. Outside of the show that we run in the fall this is the only other opportunity to see the native Japanese breeds together in the US.

If you're on the fence about entering this show please consider doing so. There will be plenty of people there to help you through the process.
    www.akita-inu.com
    www.Japanese-Akitas.com
    pedigrees.akita-inu.com
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    I'm not showing either of mine for their own reasons. Shelby is already a nervous dog, and I'm working with her now in hopes that she'll be up for mingling. I don't think showing would be in her best interest. And miss Mya is very cute and friendly... I fear she would jump up on the judge and begin licking furiously, or get excited and poop everywhere as she does in petco.

We don't get out much, so manners with strangers aren't their strong suit (though they do amazing at home!). We'd love to come and watch, though!
    Lauren
    Post edited by Myabee09 at 2016-02-28 21:01:09
  • CrispyCrispy
    As someone who doesn't often show and was totally new to it - please please please - show your dogs! Judges are usually very understanding of behavior in the ring and can be a huge help. It's a great opportunity to show the people outside this community your dogs.

FYI - Nami pooped in the ring one of her first times showing. Fionna has become snarky with a judge that came in too hot at her. My dogs are NOT trained for showing at all, but it's always exciting and fun to show them.

Nami also really hates when judges try to man-handle her. It's the only time I've seen her get spooky.

But still, if you can walk your dog around a block without them being a danger to others, consider showing at least once to see how they do and how you feel after. It's not the end all be all, but it's not horrible - and can even be fun when you're doing with your friends.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • aykayk
    NIPPO is pretty hands-off for most of the judging. There's the teeth-counting and height check, and for the boys, the family jewels check, but other than that, it's not hands-on like you see on tv for AKC shows.

• Again for me its all about giving back. To me the shows are all about meeting up with friends and thanking the people who bred our dogs by entering the ring.
    www.akita-inu.com
    www.Japanese-Akitas.com
    pedigrees.akita-inu.com
  • Yeah - if there aren't enough entries we may not have shows anymore. It is expensive to fly a judge out from Japan. If someone is going to be at a show with their dogs anyway I really see no reason (other than being spayed/neutered or not having the right papers) not to spend 2 minutes in the ring and support the club hosting the show. It is invaluable to get the latest breed news and individual advice and feedback from these judges, not just at the show but the seminar too, and it's a package deal.

ETA: Not sure yet if I will be able to make it. We would have to fly because of school. My puppies will be two months old at that point, and Aaron could watch them over the weekend.
    「怪獣荘秋田犬」Kaiju Kennels Japanese Akita and Hokkaido, Claire Matthews
    http://www.facebook.com/PoetikDragon
    http://www.facebook.com/KaijuKennels
    http://www.kaijukennels.com
    Post edited by PoetikDragon at 2016-02-29 00:33:21
  • Right- as I forgot to say, but Claire notes- intact dogs for showing, spayed/neutered dogs like Shelby and Mya please come visit and ambassador around the ring! The showing part is only a few minutes, but the hanging around with everyone is all day!
  • Are spectating lurkers allowed?
  • For those who are not sure about showing your dogs or how they will do, I can say that I don't feel that most of the people that I know that are planning on attending are real competitive and we are going more to meet up, than to competitively show... Of course its always nice when you win, but just going and meeting old and new friends is to me what makes dog shows fun!!
    It is a chance to try your hand at Nippo style showing and see how you like it. It is differant than both UKC and AKC and it is way more laid back.. I have no idea still how to show Nippo and I've been to 2 shows.. I just wing it :)

If you need help there will be lots of people who will help out. If you don't feel you want to try this time you can always just watch and if you aren't showing your own dog someone who is might need a free hand.

I brought a litter of puppys one of the times so we were shuffling for handlers.. Lol .. and they were so kind.and accomadating. I did not realize the puppys were on friday and did not make it until saturday and since the only kai puppys were mine the very nice judge said he would go ahead and assess my puppys anyways...
    Marsha Short
    Mijikai Kennel
    http://kaikenpuppys.tripod.com
  • Are spectating lurkers allowed?

Yes spectator lurkers are allowed!!
    Marsha Short
    Mijikai Kennel
  • There is also suppossed to be an AKC dog show that weekend at fairgrounds. So that might be fun to check out also .

Marsha Short
    Mijikai Kennel
  • To make the trip more affordable some people may be able to car pool if you know someone in your area going...
    Marsha Short
    Mijikai Kennel
  • can even be fun when you're doing with your friends.

This is the important part, too- for all the breeds except shibas, of which there are many more- we all ARE the people and dogs who will be there. We already know who else has Kishu, Kai, Shikoku, JA and Hokkaido. Japanese dog owners are a tiny community, we all know each other at least online.
  • Yes, fair warning, the shiba folks have a ton of people showing. Some were very friendly, some were less so. From what I recall on the main day shibas went first and that judging takes hours because of the number of entries. It's a good opprtunity to talk to the people with the non-shibas. Everyone that I spoke to with non-shibas (including folks with non-NK like the owners of Tuula, the Karelian Bear dog) were super friendly. It's a wonderful way to meet some of the other breeds and really get to meet multiples examples of a breed.

Also, my advice is to actually plan it if you want to meet folks from the forum in particular. I failed to do that, couldn't identify anyone either than Beth (who was wearing the NK forum tshirt) and Brad (to whom my breeder introduced me, and also, the only Kishu owner there that time) and only met a handful of members while I was wandering. I never ascertained who they were till I returned home and that was a sad missed opportunity on my part.
  • I like that- "non-shibas." :D It's like: "7-up, the UNcola"
  • In 2014 they did the non-Shibas first. Maybe because of complaints from 2013.
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    Ah, see I know nothing about showing. Both my girls are spayed, so we will be spectators.
    Lauren
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    This sounds like a great opportunity! I'd love to show Takeo, he can be picky around males, depending on who wants to join his staring contests; but I'll probably register any way, and see how it goes....

P.s. maybe we need some forum name badge or a way to indicate we're from NKF :)

Edited for spelling, darn auto correct.
    Post edited by GrayJJ at 2016-02-29 19:15:11
  • We all have to know our dogs. I know that my male Kai takes great exception to shikoku staring games, so I try to be alert to who's looking at whom, avoid shikoku when I have him out, for example. I *know* he hates that, I *know* he will object, so I avoid the full frontal shikoku when he is out. ;)
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Someone call Kurenai's name? Her ears were burning...:P
    Jesse Pelayo

• WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    Shikoku Mind Tricks bring out the tiger in my dogs. Where's that picture Claire took of Angry Juno?

Matsu likes Miyu, though- she doesn't play mind games, she plays body games. photo miyumatsubattle2_zpsf6015d65.jpg
  • @crimson02 - it was pretty funny because even though I didn't realize at the time it was you, Violet also definitely took exception to Kurenai looking in her direction. I kept having to cover her eyes so she would be less offended.

Does anyone else remember that shiba being shown in 2013 that seemed to hate all dogs? He was in one of those plastic carriers and every time a dog passed him (which was frequently) he would rattle the box. It started being kind of funny after a while even if I felt a bit bad that his stress levels were so high.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Kurenai has definitely mellowed out considerably now that she's older. I wanted to excuse her juvenile behavior for her being so juvenile but that event was almost a year after her 1st litter (Peggy was wonderful and brought Kiyoshi to the show so she can meet Momma Kurenai and Papa Kaiju).

And I had absolutely NO IDEA what I was doing. For all of you thinking of spectating.

If you can...
    • Lead your dog in loose-leash a trot around a 20ft x 20ft square
    • Open your dog's mouth over 30 degrees
    • Stand relaxed with your dog standing at your side or just a little ahead of you

...You and your dog have the capability of being shown. People stand and give each other enough distance so your dog will likely not be distracted by the other dogs near you. It is great fun, a bit of an adrenaline rush, and you'll get addicted to it as soon as you do it once.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• kaikenonekaikenone
    Heres a link to a little information on Nippo style showing.... However I wouldn't worry to much about it.. Its quite relaxed.
    http://www.nippoclassic.org/a-nippo-style-show.html
    Marsha Short
    Mijikai Kennel
    Post edited by kaikenone at 2016-03-02 11:16:40
  • aykayk
    Today I went to the Beikoku Shiba Inu Aikokai specialty show, which is a NIPPO approved show with an invited NIPPO judge. I took some videos of the Primary (Preliminary) judging if people want to see it.

Normally and historically in the Primary judging, there is only one Shiba in the ring and the judge goes over visual examinations (long hands-off viewing), a height check with a metal wicket, teeth counting, and then a triangle.

This particular judge wanted something different. He had the sex/age division come in (ie. Young Male I) and had them lined up on one side of the ring. He approached the line and did his visual examinations. Sometimes going in and out of the dog's space in order to get the dog's attention and reaction (comatosed? alert? timid?).

After he was done with each dog, he moved on to the height and teeth count. As normal, there were some dogs that balked at the shiny wicket. Also normal were some dogs that needed to be lifted up to allow enough control for the teeth count.

After everybody had their height and teeth count, each dog did their triangle movement. When done, the dogs all left the ring as a group.

All the male age groups went first and then the female age groups. After break, Final judging and placements were given in each division. Then best male, best female, and best in show were selected. Best American-bred was awarded afterwards.

There were several divisions where placement was withheld. One class of 4 dogs only had a 1st place and 2nd place. A 3rd place was not given. Another class of 3 dogs had no first place and only a 2nd and 3rd place. Yet another class of 3 dogs had only 1st place award and no 2nd or 3rd place. A class of only dog was given 2nd place.

So basically, don't expect a "freebie award".

A couple of things I noticed:

-Things are *alot* less stringent now than in the past. Dogs were being touched in the ring. Cheeks and back hairs fluffed. Tails lifted up. Rears lifted to re-position faster. Sometimes the dog sat in the ring while waiting for their turn to be examined. It looked like an AKC show sometimes.

-It is much, much easier to do the teeth count by taking the initiative and showing the front (bite) and side teeth with the mouth closed first. Save the opening of the mouth for last if the judge allows it.

My own feelings:

-I think some people mis-step when they ask the dog to look at them instead of looking
    at the judge. If a judge is obviously trying to get the dog's attention by moving into the dog's space or making a noise with his clipboard, let the dog look. Point or direct the dog towards the judge. I cringed when I saw dogs that acted dull and didn't even give a glance during Final Judging.

Post edited by ayk at 2016-03-13 19:57:47
    Re: Kai tongue spots from the judge for this show, via Maggie Strouse (the show coordinator)

"Here is what I got from this year's judge (via our translator)

Spots on the tongue;

Kai - spots are acceptable, regardless how many/big of them. Also body height lower limit can be - 44cm (girl), 46cm (boy).

For Kai Nippo has to accept spots just because many dogs have them. This would be still temporary, though, until spots are bred out

So it looks like the spots are still tolerated in 2016."

I think it will be a while before spots are bred out of Kai...
  • kaikenonekaikenone
    Yay!!
    Marsha Short
    Mijikai Kennel
  • I seem to be struggling, ha ha. How much is it to spectate? I can't seem to find a price if there is one.
    imageimageimage

Team Loves to travel: Penny(Sheltie), Kisu(Kai Ken), and Butler(American Eskimo).

Kisu is on Instagram: @Kisu_the_Kai
    I think it's like $10 to park at the fairgrounds. That's about it for spectators!
  • SayaSaya
    This event is almost here.

I'd like to go and spectate and meet people. Not sure If I'll be able to go this year, but we'll see. If I go it'll probably only be for Saturday, but who knows might be able to get to it for Friday and Saturday.

I'd love to meet some Nihon ken only have met one shikoku and ton of shiba inu so would love to meet the others. :)

Can Saya come coarse not to be shown. Just wondering. if not that is fine might bring her if staying at hotel she can hang there during the event.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    I'd love to meet you and Saya! She can come to NIPPO Classic to visit- a few came to visit last time I went. I will be there all day Saturday. I think Kai are up first at 9 am, followed by Shikoku, Akita and then all the shiba. There's only 1 Kai, 2 shikoku, 5 Akita, but a lot of shiba!
  • PoetikDragonPoetikDragon
    I forgot to post here, we decided to go and are taking four dogs - Bijo, Gamera, Mosura, and baby Hinata. Kyuubi will also be there, as well as another 3-month-old and 8-month-old JA puppies.
  • SayaSaya
    Cool I hope to make it. Hope weather is nice for the event. :)
    Photobucket
  • LexterGraceLexterGrace
    I don't yet have a nihon ken to show, but I will most likely be going to watch the dogs and meet breeders/owners/handlers.

EDIT: read this as June 20-21, not May. Unfortunately I'll be at another show for my MAS.
    Apricity Kennel Hokkaido Ken
    ~ Located in Northern Virginia, USA ~
    www.apricityhokkaido.weebly.com
    www.facebook.com/apricityhokkaido
    apricityhokkaido@gmail.com
    Post edited by LexterGrace at 2016-05-17 20:24:10
    Well if you're available in June you can go to UKC Premier instead (16-19), also in MI. There will be some JA, Shiba, and maybe a Shikoku.
  • AllisonAllison
    I cant go this weekend because its a holiday and i have to be at work, but I'm gonna see about getting June off, and go to the UKC Premier, entries closed, so Mayumi cant enter, but I'll bring her if I go. @lextergrace @poetikdragon @grayjj
    Allison & Mayumi

JSXM9188
    @Allison You can still enter in some of the events put on by other clubs besides UKC, such as Barn Hunt (all days), Lure Coursing (Thursday and Friday) and SPOT (not sure what days). Possibly other things too like Drag Racing if your dog is small enough... not sure.
  • SayaSaya
    Well I had fun at the Nippo classic! :D Saya enjoyed dog watching and did well long as dogs did not get close. She met kai ken pups which she loved. She loves puppies.

I've met kai ken and Japanese akita for first time and finally got to meet a few forum members was fun.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2016-05-22 20:58:20
    @Saya it was great meeting you! :)
    We had so much fun getting to spend time with our NK friends and enjoy all the dogs!
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    So sad we couldn't make it :( hopefully next time!! looking forward to everyone's pictures though ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion