chew toys, bones etc.

edited February 2016 in General
Any suggestions on good chew toys that tend to last. Kuma likes to chew but anything I tend to get doesn’t last him long. I did recently get the Himalayan chew stick and he likes that and it does last him. Didn’t know if there was anything else I could get him. Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Himalayan chews sticks are great! I got Kaja one once and it lasted a looong time! I should totally get her another one. Thanks for the reminder.

Lately Kaja has been working on a flavoured nyla chew. You have to keep an eye on it (as with all chews) but it's been weeks now and she is still at it. Something like this: link

I have one dog who would never touch anything plastic-seeming like nylabones. But Kaja really likes to chew and lo and behold -- it worked for her. So it might be worth trying! She didn't go for it at first, but I left it lying around with her things and eventually she went for it.

So the nylabone and himalayan would be my recommendations. Keep in mind that nylabone is plastic, and I would keep a sharp eye on the progress of its durability, since you wouldn't want pieces of it ingested.
  • Antlers also last a really long time. I like to spread Dogsbutter on them, freeze it a bit, then give it to the dogs. Keeps them busy for a long while.
  • I stopped giving my dogs antlers once I found out 2 of the 3 had cracked molars. I stick with bully sticks as they're great for the 30-60 min I need to have them out relaxing and I'm not constantly needing to keep an eye on them as they wander about the house possibly getting into things they shouldn't...
  • You can also add time to the work of these chews by wedging them into a Kong Biscuit ball- which is what I do with bully sticks and himalayan chews. The biscuit ball is a hollow ball with holes on six 'sides', I shove the bully stick in one side and out the other, so they can work on the ends and then have to work it out. I also get them the 6 inch sticks in the thickest I can get. (rather than a longer, thinner stick)
  • Ruff roots are good. Yuki makes quick work of bully sticks and other chews, but he has been working on the root for months and it is still hanging in there
  • Some or the RBMs I've given the pups last a good long time. Kind of messy, though.
  • Thanks for all the ideas everyone :)
  • edited February 2016
    You can always get a kong wobbler. Its not necessarily a treat but you can hide treats inside or even give meals out of them. Mine was very durable. I ended up accidentally selling it before it even saw anything besides a few shallow teeth marks and my dogs have a record of destruction. (Same deal with the warriented chews.)
  • Rollo is a big fan of Himalayan chews. When it's fresh he barks at it until he's slobbered the whole thing (I'll try and record this next time it happens). He also enjoys 'whimsies' which are little hedgehog shaped chews, Apparently they are made of vegetable matter but he loves those. He prances around with it and wags his tail when I give one to him. Each chew is baseball-sized and lasts a couple of weeks. I buy them in a 5-pack and he loves them.

Rollo is crate trained and we bribe him every time he goes in. He likes to crunch ice cubes, so we actually freeze beef broth in an ice cube tray and give him one when he goes in. He loves them! They don't last very long.
  • I hadn't heard of Himalayan chews before reading this, and am now looking to see if I can get some across the pond in the UK to try with my lot :) thank you for the recommendation!
  • Oh! Yeah. Seconded on the whimzees. Kaja loves those things, and you can buy them by the pack pretty easily.
  • Can I ask you guys how much the Himalayan chews cost to buy over there? They seem to be incredibly expensive to buy over here. @TheYeti @Kaja and @alyssab
  • They (himalayan) are expensive- we don't get them often (as in: I bought a 3 pack on super sale a few months ago but before that we hadn't bought any for a couple years), and I only give them to the small dogs (the Kai). My biggest dog would swallow then when they got down to like a 4 inch level, then puke them up. It was a waste for her. Antlers are also too expensive for our budget vs how much (little) they chew on them. I did find that they liked the split antlers and the easier access to the inner antler, much better than whole. But I don't buy them anymore either.

I have recently got the red barn knuckle bones, and the dogs wear those down slowly but with great interest. I was surprised at their texture- not teeth-breakingly hard, but they wear off in small crumbs gradually.
  • The last one I bought was a 'mega' sized one and I think it was $30. It's pretty steep, though it lasted a good 5 months. Whimsies are a much better deal I think in that regard.
    He also just finished off a water buffalo horn. He would throw that for himself.
  • I know mine aren't NK but I found they preferred the 'fallow' type antlers which they could actually chew through and eat to the harder antler that they would have a nibble on and I would find festering underneath my sofa 6 months later. The only problem with the fallow type antlers are they just don't last that long and since I have to buy the largest size because of the choke hazard when they're too small, it's pretty expensive buying four of those at a time for what amounts to 2 or 3 hours of chewing.
  • edited February 2016
    @six I buy the medium sized one and it's 10.99 and it lasts him a couple weeks. Once they get tiny you can microwave them and they become a crunchy cheese puff so you don't waste all of it. That's probably my favorite thing about them.

Can't wait to try some of these things. Kuma will love it. lol
  • I get the same one as @alyssab and it lasts Tavi ( my Kai ) a month. Its about 5 inches in length and maybe 1-2 inches thick. My GSD can nail one down in 2 hours though.. he doesn't chew to chew, he chews to destroy and consume whatever it is. If there are Petsmarts in the UK, every couple of months i get a 'save $5 when you spend $10' and i just load up then and do a couple transactions to make it cheaper. :)
  • edited February 2016
    @omgtain The first one i got Kuma it only took him a couple hours. It was shiny and new so he had to destroy it/eat it. He is the same way when it comes to chewing. This is why any cute adorable stuffed toy he gets dies in a pile of fluff almost instantly.

The newest one has lasted longer but it is getting close to cheese puff stage.
  • We mostly do bully sticks, and I go for the thick ones too. Recently we bought some cow ears, and I was pleasantly surprised with how long they last, because most things we try seem to only take a few minutes. The ears have been lasting 15-30 minutes which is great for me. They're cheaper than bullies, too.
  • there's a flash sale on the thick bullies right *now* at bestbullysticks.com
    the checkout code is BULLY for 20% off. since we're talking thick sticks at the moment...
  • I've found that I have to be careful with how much chew time Rollo gets with bully sticks. He loves them though! If he chews on it too long they seem to upset his stomach and he will throw up a couple of times over the next day. If he gets it for a few minutes at a time he's ok, but if we leave him with it for half an hour he'll feel pretty lousy.
  • I've given bully sticks straight kind and once got the kind that's two twisted together both last my dogs Saya finishes hers faster while it takes Bella while to finish it.

Dehydrated beef trachea both dogs like them I don't remember how long those last. I usually fill it with kibble for Bella and put peanut butter at ends then freeze so the peanut butter gets hard. With Saya's since she is raw fed ground meat.

With Nylabone I saw someone on a forum or fb mentioned that some nylabone is made in China so if your worried about that check the packaging before buying it should say made in USA or China.

I did check some in stores to see and some had made in China and some USA not sure if it's certain ones or what.

I seen people recommend benebones anyone tried those are they safe or OK? I'm wondering if they are too hard. I never really checked them out.