Winter paw protections

JunJun
edited December 2015 in General
I'm thinking of taking my JA to the Kananaskis for a snowshoeing trip this weekend or the one after. The trail is about 7.8km (4.8 miles) return and 305 meters (0.2 miles) of elevation. We've never taken the dog to the mountains in the winter, so just wondering what kind of paw protections would be sufficient. I've seen some wax products on Amazon with mixed feedbacks, might give it a try. But would love to hear from people on this forum, what kind of winter paw protections you guys have used and whether they were good or not. Thanks :-)

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Mushers wax is decent. Our pup doesn't seem to get paw-snowballs even after walking on snowy trails for long distances. Though I find with Rollo he has paw issues when walking on salted sidewalks. That stuff bugs him since it's too cold here for regular salt, they use the blue ice melter stuff which is harsh on paws. Once we are in the woods he's good for hours though.

If I'm walking around the neighbourhood I'll throw some wax on his paws once I'm already outside. If I'm going off road I don't bother with anything. Though we won't have as much snow as the kananaskis will, but it's colder up here for sure.
  • @TheYeti Musher's is the one I saw. Gonna give it a try. Thanks!
  • Go for the stick and not the tub of wax. Makes it really easy to apply in stick form!
  • @TheYeti lol I only found a 200g jar from a local pet store. Petland don't carry this brand here in Calgary. Would be nice if I could find a stick :D
  • Yeah I've only ever came across one stick of wax, and have been mad at myself for not getting it. The stuff does get a bit messy, don't let the dog walk around the house before going out after applying, you'll have hard to clean footprints EVERYWHERE!