How Common is Hip Dysplasia in the Akita Inu

edited October 2015 in General
Is this something I should be weary of in my new Akita pup and how common is it for them to have issues?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    We don't know, because no studies have been done on it. They're not tested in Japan, and the data in the US is muddled and mixed up with American Akitas (who vastly outnumber them, skewing the statistics). All we have is anecdotal evidence and personal experiences from a very tiny sample size.

That said, in general the larger the dog the more risk of dysplasia and bloat.

A friend imported a JA pup with literally no hip socket - just smooth pelvic bone - limping and dysplastic before six months old. Of my imports, I've had three score Good, two Fair, and one Borderline. Last year there were only two males with Excellent in North America, but I think we're up to four now (not 100% sure).

EDIT: Actually three, since one of those males has been sold to Europe.
  • edited October 2015
    I would be much more concerned about VKH and SA though. It seems to me (again - no studies have been done on it) that autoimmune disorders are more prevalent. Also thyroid dysfunction, which is also a big problem for American Akitas.
  • In Australia (although the sample size is very small of breeding dogs), one pup born in Aus has HD. A bitch has been scored with ED (1:1 I think). The other breeding dogs have all scored well . There has been issues with SA, a total of 3 known affecteds born in AUS so far .
  • In finland hip results for JA between 2005-and now:
    A:67
    B:84
    C:58 (Mild hip dysplasia)
    D:29 (Medium hip dysplasia)
    E:2 (Severe hip dysplasia)
  • I would check with your breeder and ask what the scores were for the Sire and Dam. I would also ask if the breeder has had any history of HD in their breeding program.

While having both the sire and dam have passed won't fully prevent it at least you'll know they were not tested.

I'd also limit the amount of long walks you take on concrete or hard flat surfaces while the pup is young.
  • That's terrible the Japanese don't test, I had no idea. The sire had very low below average scores, the dam was higher than the average due to an old hip injury as a pup ( the good hip was excellent). Neither of the parents displayed bad movement for the breed from what ibe seen at Crufts but I kinda think they walk in a peculiar fashion anyway.
  • Was just reading up on SA, I didn't realise it could be so serious. Is it caused by an auto immune disorder or do we not know? My Saluki has an unknown skin condition that flares up sometimes, I usually find its after her booster which makes me suspicious.
  • VKH and SA are both autoimmune disorders, as are some forms of hypothyroidism and allergies.
  • Here's a good article on HD: . HD can develop from purely environmental factors, like a hard fall, or genetics only (born with no hip sockets), but most are a combination of genetics and environmental factors. This is a good video on appropriate puppy exercise:
  • As PoetikDragon states, SA and VKH are autoimmune, and from my understanding are more prevalent in the Akita than other breed's of dog, ie- 80% of dogs diagnosed with VKH or UDS-Like syndrome are Akitas. There are not tests to determine a carrier of SA or VKH, only tests on an affected dog, SA is typically easier to diagnose than VKH of early on in the disease (atleast in Australia anyway). Autoimmune disorders are said to run in all lines of Akitas, though that does not mean that all dogs will develop these conditions just that some maybe more genetically predisposed than others.
  • One of the factors that really shouldn't be underestimated with hip dysplasia and elbow arthrosis is how fast the dogs are allowed to grow. If your feeding the dog on the upper end of the scale and enabling fast growth you can actually cause dysplasia in the dog.

See for example
    Sallander, Marie H., Åke Hedhammar, and Mari EH Trogen. "Diet, exercise, and weight as risk factors in hip dysplasia and elbow arthrosis in Labrador Retrievers." The Journal of nutrition 136.7 (2006): 2050S-2052S.

Smith, Gail K., et al. "Lifelong diet restriction and radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis of the hip joint in dogs." Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 229.5 (2006): 690-693.

This aspect of exacerbating the risk of dysplasia etc has been known since the mid to late 1970s but seems to not have had a lot of attention until more recently. So outside of trying to ensure that the parents of the dogs do not have dysplasia, restricted intake of calories is a factor that should not be overlooked.

Ed
  • As PoetikDragon states, SA and VKH are autoimmune, and from my understanding are more prevalent in the Akita than other breed's of dog, ie- 80% of dogs diagnosed with VKH or UDS-Like syndrome are Akitas. .
    Hi there, I live in California (as do PoeticDragon & JackBurton). There aren't many AA or JA in my area but I inquired about SA/VKH since a red AA/JA blend* belonging to my friend was diagnosed with SA about 6 months ago. My vet tells me he sees SA in Samoyeds more than in Akitas. My eye vet also told me she had Samoyed patient with glaucoma issues. Seems that certain breeds have much more narrower gene pool and thus hereditary issues in a given geographical area

* he is not related to any of the JACA or AKIHO LA branch member dogs