What made you want to be a breeder?

edited October 2015 in Breeding
I've been going on and off in my mind on one day getting into breeding, at least just hobby breeding with spaced out litters. I've toyed with the idea of shiba breeding, but honestly I've fallen more in love with Kai and I think I would rather promote that breed because I personally like their temperment vastly more and I think overall they make easier dogs to handle (When it comes to temperment, aggression, training etc). Granted that Kiba, my kai, isn't the best kai example in my life, but I see everyones dogs, Tavi and Suki, and I just think they are wonderful. As much as I love shibas, I think Kai is what I would still consider owning way down the line.

Granted this is ALL hypothetical. I wouldn't be seriously considering breeding at least for another 10+ years. Now is definitely not the time to really consider it, plus if I truly want to try to go more into the Kai approach, there is a lot more mentorship and educating I will need, plus with Kiba and Taro, I feel like I can't consider breeding until after they are no longer with me so that if I do end up breeding, I don't have a bagillion dogs to worry and take care of that aren't a part of my program, or outcome from the program.

It just pops up in my mind from time to time and it did today because someone posted wanting to breed their shiba in reddit and everything scream red flag and wrong reasons for breeding, being irrespondsible, and that person was ripped apart. I reflect on myself and why I would want to breed and then I start getting excited about it. The thought of helping produce more healthy dogs for people to add to their families, helping expand gene pools and in the case of kai's, helping preserve the breed and promote the breed.

But maybe it is all crazy talk and I should just leave it to already established people. Just wanted to gather some thoughts since it is on my mind right now and have been meaning to post this.

So what got you into breeding?

Was it something you had been considering for a while, was it another breeder who suggested it?

How long were thinking before you finally got into it?

Did you find yourself importing or did you feel what current gene pool in your country was sufficent for genetic diversity?

Did you create an initial savings account to start your breeding program?

Are you a regular breeder or more of a hobby breeder and why did you chose that route?

Was it hard finding the right mentor for you?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    I saw that same Reddit thread, yesterday or something right? People on Reddit tend to bandwagon, particularly on /r/dogs they'll rip someone apart because it's the "responsible" thing, but they won't explain or might not even understand the reasons behind it.

Anyway, literally the only reason you should be breeding is for the betterment of the breed. You need to have a clear purpose. If you don't think you can do that, then you shouldn't be breeding. No good breeder is a "hobby" breeder, there is way too much knowledge required for breeding for it to simply be a hobby. Just because they only put out a few litters doesn't make them a hobby breeder, it makes them a smaller volume breeder.

Breeding isn't about being an ambassador, or the magic of life, or whatever selfish emotional gain you may get out of it. It's eugenics. You're attempting the manipulation of genetics to produce the best dog possible. Honestly, ideally every breeder would have some level of scientific knowledge on this subject.

Also consider the morality of putting more pups out there when there are already so many dogs stuck in shelters/being euthanized. There is already an overpopulation of dogs.

edit: Because a lot of people are having issues with what I wrote, I'm going to add this here. I'm speaking in general, not directly at OP. OP mentions a thread on Reddit where someone got completely destroyed for wanting to breed their dog. This person did seem very ignorant and uneducated on the subject. Everyone basically called him irresponsible, etc, but noone explained why what he wanted to do was irresponsible. Nobody gave reasons for their responses. With that in mind I gave the reasons why some people feel this way. I can see how this was misunderstood.

OP clearly states that he's only beginning with the idea right now, doesn't have immediate plans to become a breeder. With this also in mind my response was aimed in a general view, why it is important to be responsible, possible ethical considerations, the dedication it requires, etc. None of this is specific to OP or even the Japanese breeds, just breeding dogs in general.

• There is no dog overpopulation problem in North America unless you are a pitbull type or chihuahua type or some hound cross in the Deep South. If what I said wasn't true in some way, then shelters would not be closing their doors due to lack of business or importing dogs from Mexico and Asia to try and keep business going, or asking for puppies and driving them in from other states to adopt.
  • edited October 2015
    I'm a hobby breeder, @OtakuBenny. It's not my livelihood. I consider it my hobby. It is my hobby to spend all of my disposable income on. It is my hobby to preserve the breed I keep. It is my hobby to be and produce ambassadors of their breed... so I would disagree about there being no such thing as a hobby breeder. What is the alternative? Commercial breeding? No, thanks. Not for me.

To bite and answer the question @jwallwalrus asked (since I'm young and naive and new to breeding), I think everyone on the forum kind of knows I stumbled into my role with the Kishu Ken at this point, but I chose to follow through with making a website, registering my puppies, registering my kennel, and making plans for future breeding because of my love for the breed. I absolutely adore the Kishu Ken. I want to make sure that they are preserved for the future, so my children and my children's children - and their generations - have the option of seeing this breed and deciding if it's something they want to share their lives with. So I want to continue breeding. I want to continue getting unbiased information out to the community. I want to perform as much testing as is available to me to get a good pool of data about the breed so we know how to help the breed survive and thrive with a combination of the science available to us and the knowledge of breeders before me.

I chose the Kishu Ken for a number of reasons. As I said before, I love their temperament... I think it's pretty unique among the Japanese breeds (after experiencing the others) and being thrust into raising a litter was like a crash-course I wasn't expecting to have, but wouldn't be myself, today, without - so I can't imagine NOT being an enthusiast and breeder and doing what I can to continue to help the breed with the skills I acquired from my experience.

There are so many ways to help the breed even if you aren't explicitly breeding, but if it is something you want to do, I don't think you should be afraid of it, either. Talk to already established breeders in the community! They were such an invaluable resource for me when I had my Kishu litter. The community always is.
  • @Crispy thanks for your insight especially since you are new to it.

I've got a lot to learn but like I said, this can't be something I seriously consider until I am in my 40's so might as well start doing some stuff now so that if I feel like it is a smart decision for kai kens, then I won't be struggling to gather resources and information.

Looks like I will probably need to chat up Brad, Stacy, or Debbie more often!
  • aykayk
    edited October 2015
    My breed is not a member of the NK breeds, but I figured I would still respond.
    So what got you into breeding?
    I wanted to continue to own the kind of dogs that I enjoyed, and I wasn't seeing purposeful breeding of these dogs. This wasn't in terms of breed numbers, but rather the traits that I value and enjoy in the breed.
    Was it something you had been considering for a while, was it another breeder who suggested it?
    Pet owners have been suggesting it to me for a while because they weren't finding a breeder in the U.S. who "gets" the Western expectations in breeding. ie. health awareness/testings, take-back contracts, etc.
    It was after I obtained an appropriate new female that I considered breeding.
    Did you find yourself importing or did you feel what current gene pool in your country was sufficent for genetic diversity?
    I prefer imports, either imported by someone else or by myself, in order to avoid as much obligations and entanglements with breeders already in the U.S.
    No, but I have made the decision to never go into debt for my dogs. I do keep a record of expenses.
    Are you a regular breeder or more of a hobby breeder and why did you chose that route?
    I am a hobby breeder. I do not share the definition that OkatuBenny has for the term "hobby breeder" though. Being a hobby breeder does not mean a lack of seriousness, knowledge, or commitment in breeding. If anything, term comes from a contrast against breeders who report breeding as a business to the IRS and will claim losses and such. Hobby breeders do not make loss claims as it is a "hobby".
    Yes. Had to go outside to breeders/fanciers of different breeds for universal fundamentals. Going outside also lets one keep perspective that the problems within one's chosen breed, or the politics within the breed, is not unique or terribly unexpected.
  • @otakubenny
    Absolutely absurd to say that you can't breed dogs and take human emotion from it. With that being said, there is so much responsibility when it comes to being a breeder. Yes you should look at genetics to make sure the dogs come out healthy and stronger, that is a responsibility that comes with the territory of breeding and should inherently be assumed before you even think about breeding. The very definition of a hobby is an interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation. You can't enjoy? breeding because it needs to be a strict science? Last I saw we are humans and can experience joy from science.

@jwallwalrus
    You need to make sure that you are ready for the daunting responsibilities of being a breeder. I'd talk to shikokuspirit or bradanderson or any of the nihonken breeders on this forum. There's a ton of research so make sure you have fun with it and make sure you get as much information as possible as well as resources you need before you start.

• @jwallwalrus has been getting lots of great experience with Shiba and Hokkaido litters recently ;)
  • edited October 2015
    @jigzozor
    You need to make sure that you are ready for the daunting responsibilities of being a breeder.
    Oh yeah for sure, hence the 10 years from now. There is NO WAY I would be ready for that. Especially since I want to have a family soon. It would be better for me to wait for whatever future children I have to also be older before I am willing to take on that type of respondsibility.

I just mention HOBBY breeding because what I've been told the definition is a person who doesn't breed for profit and tends to produce less litters because of the care of what they want to breed for (certain characteristics, temperment etc). But I could be wrong. Basically what I am saying is if I did the breeding route, I don't want to plan a lot of litters, like one every couple of years when I felt resources, timing, etc was ready and ensuring the dogs have enough break to just have fun and be dogs versus puppy producing machines.

@ayk what is your dog breed out of curiosity?
  • Jindo.
  • edited October 2015
    I am not yet a breeder. I do keep a very nice male for the effort though- and I am studying under several mentors to learn as much as I can and also to be as aware as I can be of the complications in breeding world- not just health, or whelping, but puppy placement, owner and cooperating breeder relationships, the risks in dog selection and obtainability, the good and the sometimes very unfortunate. It really brings perspective, learning from everyone else's work.

I have been doing what I believe is serious and responsible preparation with my Kai guy- at-large: he is kept fit and healthy, he is trained, socialized and has dabbled in a few breed exposure events (dog sports, meet ups, matches and shows- but only trying, not really committing, as these things are not readily available near us. He did get a very nice review from a Japanese judge at the NIPPO Classic as a teenager- too young for regular show classes at the time). He has had his hip and elbow X-rays, patella evaluation and thyroid panel registered with OFA. He has achieved titles in two different organizations' temperament tests- the CGC and ATTS. And finally and importantly to me, he works at an historic Kai Ken job: finding and flushing birds for me here in Vermont. (you can read about our hunts
    https://www.facebook.com/Ruffed-Grouse-Hunting-with-Kai-Ken-871854586172879/timeline/
    ) It's fun with my dog, and a challenge, and fulfills something basic and essential in us both, giving our skills and relationship a good toning.

I write that out in full detail not to polish my own star, but to illustrate that, for those who don't know us, we are not just someone with a dog they think is cute who whimsically thinks it should be bred, but that cooperation with breeders, study of your breed, mentoring, objective evaluation, and honoring the work and objectives of the program which the dog came from are - to me- critical ingredients for a breeder.

I also feel that there are many roles that need playing in a breed- and mine is just the one that I enjoy and can do well here- we need owners who show, who do sports, who have great pets, who are great with children, who do expos and events, who tell stories and take photos, who meet up, who camp and bag peaks with their dogs, who rescue and rehabilitate. All of it is needed. No role is better or bigger than another and it is impossible for one person to do all of it. So specifically to JWall- there is so much you can do while you wait to build your program, Kai are lucky to have you!

For now I am working with breeders who want to use my male, and I find that a lot of long-range planning and relationship integrity is most of the work now that major testing is complete. Always, always learning- how to write a stud agreement, working out logistics for travel, following litters and examining pedigrees, getting excited for breeder friends having success.

I hope to arrange for a female to join Matsu in the next little while, ideally when my elderly dogs have passed on, but opportunities happen when they happen and will need to be assessed as they come up.

Family commitment is also important, few of us, maybe none of us, can do whatever we want as soon as we want to. I have a teenage daughter, 4 dogs and a husband- adding more dogs impacts them management wise and financially. Additionally, when breedings need doing, we have to mobilize to get the dogs together at the right time and if I travel, Jeff has to cover care of all the other dogs alone, plus time off of work for me (being self-employed as an artist, I don't get paid time off). I know Jeff has only a little more than zero tolerance for hobby dog debt outside of emergency care- we will always take care of whatever the dogs need, it is just a question of how much stress it adds to the family relationships when it pops up unexpectedly (i.e. we have had 5 porcupine quill removal surgeries among the 4, and now budget an extra $300 into our dog budget each year in case. Getting into breeding will require some more padding, and the ability to justify putting money there rather than, say, replacing an old wonky appliance in the kitchen for example. New Kai Gal will need the same X-rays, classes and tests in time.). This ties my hands a bit in terms of building anything with any speed, and maybe we don't have the right risk-taking spirit needed to really be breeders, but time will tell. In the meantime, I study, hunt, train and enjoy the dogs I have.

Also, I already have to rotate my male dogs, which is doable but isn't as relaxing as just letting everyone be free and easy together at all times. With 5 dogs I would be adding exponential relationship dynamics and while it could be that all the females get along, I need to think about what to do if they don't... do I want to have more rotation? Will it bend Juno out of shape to have another female (with the moodiness of heats added in) to get along with? Can I create a livable balance of homeyness vs kennelishness, or will the whole thing be a bigger pain in the neck than I, my dogs and my family enjoy living with? Breeding is SO not to be entered lightly, and my mentor breeders will help me think it through and prepare. More to ask.

When it comes to it, I hope to build my program with KKA Kai, so that I can work with any NA breeder and propagate and test working Kai attributes in the North American gene pool. I also owe a debt of gratitude to Brad and Jen at Yamabushi Kennel, where my dogs came from, and want to be sure that I can send KKA pups back to them. My Kai are two of only 3 hunting Kai in this hemisphere, I believe, and one of my objectives is to bring the sound health and structure, sound mind, and proven cooperative hunting relationship of Matsu forward for others to enjoy in his progeny. At the core of it all, the enjoyable gift this dog offers me daily is deep connection, unfailing reciprocal trust, focused cooperation, and enthusiasm playing, hiking and hunting in the woods no matter the weather or the terrain -which I feel is the essence of Kai Ken and what those who love them also want to enjoy in them.
  • edited October 2015
    @lindsayt There are 3.9 million dogs put into shelters each year, 1.2 million of which are euthanized each year. A dog is put down roughly every 22 seconds. Is this not overpopulation? Do you consider it ethical to breed dogs without purpose when there are this many being put down and without homes?

@jigzzor Completely misinterpreting everything I wrote. You are of course going to get some level of emotional satisfaction from it, and that is fine and expected. A wonderful thing even! If this is your *only* reason or motivator for breeding however then it is selfish and irresponsible.

@Crispy Sorry, I was misusing the word hobby. When I think hobby I think "weekend warrior" levels of dedication, something very casual. I wasn't using hobby as; something that isn't done professionally/commercially. Nor did I imply at all that breeders should breed for commercial reasons, the opposite infact. My point was that you need to be completely committed, and that breeder volume doesn't equal committment.

Perhaps "betterment" can be a little vague, but I don't know how else to put it. You must have a clear purpose, a goal, seek to improve on your dogs in some way. Participate in sport/competition to prove they are infact the dogs you claim they are. Preservation is a different topic and I would consider it for the betterment of the breed, because well if they are at risk of dying out... That speaks for itself! Things like being an ambassador come naturally with being a good breeder, it's not a reason to breed.
  • edited October 2015
    @OtakuBenny No one said they thought it was ethical to breed dogs without purpose, and I can guarantee you all these people on here are doing what they can for breed betterment and preservation.

I saw your post on importing your Akita. Based on your stances I hope you are checking those breeders out extensively, otherwise there are lots of Akitas in shelters too who need rescuing and that would be more in-line with your stances. Out of curiosity, are you a breeder? Otherwise, understand @jwallwalrus is looking for information from the good, ethical breeders that reside on this forum for why they got into their roles.
  • edited October 2015
    @OtakuBenny

I think what @lindsayt was trying to say is that ethical and respondsible breeders are not the reason why there is a over dog population. So good breeder would breed dogs without finding homes for them first. Yes there is a dog overpopulation but it is due to backyard breeders, puppy mills, and irrespondsible owners who buy dogs on a whim, as presents, do no research, and give them up at the first sign of trouble and when they become too much a burden.

It's just like humans. We have an overpopulation issue. We have millions of children worldwide in adoption centersm being fostered, or are abandoned etc. Are the people who still have their own biological children adding to the problem or being selfish? Of course not. Adoption is hard, costly, you are dealing with a lot of potential issues depending on the situation the child already grew up in and some people are not financially or mentally equipped to handle that.

That doesn't mean good breeders should stop breeding. Not everyone can take in a rescue dog. As much as a support rescues (my second dog being adopted), it sometimes isn't the best choice to adopt. There are a lot of health concerns, psychological concerns, that you might not really be prepaired for.

I always tell people whether if you adopt a dog or purchase a puppy from a breeder, you have to look at all the pros and cons and reflect on which would be the best possible choice for your schedule, lifestyle, and family. Sometimes it makes more sense to adopt, sometimes it makes more sense to get a puppy, sometimes it makes more sense to find a specific breed, breeder etc.

It was important to us to have a puppy for our first dog. A clean slate. Though unfortunately, my fiance did end up getting her from a backyard breeder in the midwest (since she was a surprise present, he had no idea what he was really doing, and I was not a part of the decision, something that I was very upset about for a very long time).

Adopting Kiba has been a huge rollercoaster of emotions, concerns, stress, etc because of his incredibly slow transition period, concerns over his getting along with Taro, his running away a few times. But even still, Kiba was rehomed from a breeder, not really what I would call a "rescue". I've seen friends take on rescues that they were very ill prepared for and still had to rehome them because they couldn't or wouldn't take the time to properly help them adjust and fear of aggression over future kids and current dogs. But I put partial blame on the adoption center for not doing a better job in placement.
  • edited October 2015
    @mdokic Wasn't directing my statements at anyone on here, I'm sure everyone here is very committed to their breed. Frankly I don't know why you would think this, I'm certainly not attacking anybody here. OP asked about breeding, mentioning a Reddit thread that I also saw, and I gave my opinion based on what he wrote (and based on what kinds of things were said on the Reddit thread - hence my explaining that people on /r/dogs tend to not elaborate on certain ideas). I realize he's just testing the waters and toying with the idea. I tried to give him an idea of what kind of dedication breeding requires, so he can better assess if it would really be something that he wants to do, because I did get the impression that maybe he feels he could do good, but isn't completely sure if he wants to take that step.

No, I'm not a breeder, I don't see why this should be a breeder-exclusive discussion. I'm also not saying that nobody should breed, or that nobody should be buying from breeders. Where do I mention anything remotely close to this? Everything I say is just saying that if you're going to breed - do it responsibly. I'm sorry if I infact did write something that could be misinterpreted.

The fact that I have that importing thread up should show you that I do support good breeders and have no problem with breeding. My entire point is you need to be dedicated to the breed if you're going to do it. That's all.

@jwallwalrus I agree with pretty much everything you say here. Obviously you are very educated on the topic, I'm going to say this a lot of times but I was speaking in general, not directing things at you or assuming you would be an unethical breeder. Like I mentioned above, to me you seemed unsure if you really wanted to consider taking that step, so I also wanted to remind you on possible concerns and the level of dedication it requires.

The reasons you state are all the same reasons why I am looking at a puppy instead of a rescue. Again, I feel as though my posts are being misconstrued. I have no problems against responsible breeders, I don't think everyone should stop breeding. No problems against people buying from responsible breeders.

One of my points was to consider the overpopulation - to stress how important breeding responsibly is. When each of your pups will be taking the place of a potential home from a dog that already exists, they really need to have a good reason behind them to justify it, you know?

To further touch on a point made above by another user. I also don't think breeders should become some cold hearted scientists in a lab. But there is a lot of genetics involved, it is a science. All I mean by this is that if you're going to be a breeder you need to prepare yourself to learn on the subject, learn about bloodlines, how certain genomes/hereditary conditions might interact with each other, etc. I'm speaking in general here, to anybody who might be interested in breeding, not specific to the OP.
  • I plan to have at least one litter with Tavi (which is likely to happen this Spring).
    I honestly feel people put too much premeditated thought or stress on it.
    Yes, having puppies is stressful. Yes, ensuring their longevity and livelihood, health, temperaments, and giving them the best shot at life is stressful. Finding good homes that are dedicated to the dog for life and willing to work through their quirks...

HOWEVER. Puppies are cute. they're fat. they're fluffy. they're fun. And I think if you're going to breed you have to focus on what it does for you. If you make it a giant bundle of stress expecting the worst-- it will go bad. of course being aware of the risks and possible complications is important but this is not something you can do and be entirely selfless or you won't have a good time.

with that being said, i plan to breed Tavi because I think she is a great Kai and has a lot to offer to the breed. she will be getting all of her heath tests and everything she would ever possibly need, i'm very excited because i live only a couple blocks away from the university and the pups will have a LOT of socialization and exposure.
  • edited October 2015
    Jennifer I think you would love the puppy aspect but you might have a panic attack if you think something is wrong with the puppies or mother lol. your intentions are good and you are very knowledgeable. imo i see no problem with you breeding if that is what you aspire to do.

and you know, if you have a litter and decide it isn't for you, no one is going to hold you down saying you have to have a litter every year or two. it is entirely up to you.

and honestly. if someone posted 1000 paragraphs at me on why i should not breed, i wouldn't give a fuck. i value experience a lot. if you try to tell me about dog training but all you've ever trained is a border collie, then your words are going to mean x1000 less than someone like Lindsay or Sandra who have experience with my/similar breed.

but i also consider myself to know a lot about dogs in general. so i've grown past feeling stressed and making things complicated and making giant forum posts. i mostly just lurk and put in my 2 cents occasionally.
    bottom line, i own dogs because they're fun. they're certainly not a chore, and everything you do for / because of dogs should be enjoyable. i'm glad you gave up the shiba inu facebook group, because while i know you were trying to be involved and educate the public, you did it to a point of it not being fun (for yourself). and that is never okay.

so if you want to breed, think you'll have fun, have the money / time / energy for it, etc, then i see no problem.

Also, I'd still like to think Tavi is a hunting Kai. :P Even if not intentionally/regulated/trained. She got a squirrel the other day, it was really a sight but once shes on something shes not going to break. We were at the park on a trail (off leash), came to a clearing and she saw him a good 1/4th mile off and tree'd him, then jumped a good couple feet in the air and snagged it by the tail right off the branch. She was so happy with herself and brought it to me, sitting and asking permission to eat it (er, no, Tavi...). But has killed snakes, rabbits, birds, rats, mice, goldfish.. anything that dare enter the yard. If I knew how to shoot or knew someone who hunts I think it would be fun to get her into it.
  • edited October 2015
    There are many dogs in shelters, ALL of which came from irresponsible breeders - by definition. A responsible breeder would take every step possible to make sure their pups never end up in a shelter at any point in their life. Even if simply lost - microchips are amazing. I chip all my puppies before they leave, and they're registered in ME so I can get them out of a shelter if need to. I do not leave it up to chance that the buyer will register the microchip and keep the contact info up to date.

So, given that all dogs in shelters are from irresponsible breeders, the only thing I have to contribute is this:

"If breeding is irresponsible, then only irresponsible people will breed."

That is to say, if you are too hard on people and too critical of motives for breeding, then the good people who may actually HELP the breed will be daunted and scared off. All that will remain are the people who don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks and will breed however they see fit.

We NEED more responsible breeders of all breeds but rare breeds in particular. People should be encouraged to get involved and help with the breed, not given the 3rd degree about their motives. Not everyone needs a long term breeding program and a complex plan. Even one or two litters and deciding they don't like it - that's still more dogs, new genetic combinations and diversity than we would not have had if they had been afraid to try.

ETA: Another reason to encourage new breeders - the more responsible breeders there are, the greater the availability of well-bred dogs, the less likely that people will resort to purchasing from an irresponsible breeder out of desperation. Which happens a LOT with the rare breeds.
  • I'm not a breeder myself, but I hope to breed Kai's in the future if my first Kai adapts well to where I live.

I want to breed to widen the gene pool of the Kai's (Especially here in the UK where there is only 1 Kai Ken.), make Kai's Healthy, and to improve the breed. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also doing it because Puppies are cute. They are. They're adorable. I love them. It makes up a very minute part of why I want to breed though.
    Due to a Kai's already small gene pool in japan and world wide, you will eventually need to import or get someone to do it for you, to me that's the hardest part is the importing, making sure the Inbreeding is low, ect.

You need to also be aware of the very real fact; Females and puppies can die. Any breed can require a c-section and if in the frame of mind that your dog isn't a breed that needs one, well... You may be in trouble.

If i breed I aim to take back any puppies [and dogs] that the owners don't want, can no longer keep and that get lost or randomly find themselves on Preloved, Gumtree, and in shelters. [Of which I will keep a record of each Puppies Microchip numbers as proof.]

I think a start up fund is a good idea, personally. As long as you don't make that your limit and you willingly go over if needs be, I think it's an amazing idea.

Finding a Mentor is easy - if you look outside your breed. I'm using my dad as a Mentor because he used to breed German Shepherds [Straight backed].

You need to learn to criticize your own dogs as well. "puppy A is too roach backed.", "My female is too short in the back and her temperament is a bit off.", "My stud dog's feet are too Splayed". - Step back and don't develop Kennel Blindness!

Good Luck!

• Thank you to everyone whose put in their 2 bits!
  • So what got you into breeding?

Long story short. got into this breed for pet, imported 1 dog, found out club in USA, started with showing, and now wants to improve this particular color of breed in USA.

I considered while to show dogs. breeding is mainly to make my own show dog.

around 5 years.

Imported all my dogs, Now I think it's better to get it domestically. after 2 imports has health problems after spending 10,000+ dollars. but hard to find quality of dog I want in this specific color since not many JA breeders breed Brindle for show.

yes and no. I do have secret account for me. most likely I'm spending most of them for dogs but It is not specifically for dogs. I do have Main job and I think I make enough to cover all the cost of keeping 2-3 dogs and their vet bill etc.

More hobby breeder. I like the word of hobby breeder. because it's my hobby. I don't get stress of money. I don't have to make money. I don't care about profit. and i can enjoy it even if something goes wrong. etc.

yes, For JA. I have alot of Friends helping and giving good advise. Mentor for me is like Teacher. Teacher is very big thing for Asians. I haven't met any one to be Mentor yet. but I met alot of friends who are much better experienced and gave me Advise.
    I made alot of mistakes but they led me to right directions all the time.