Akira Update (July 7, 2015)

edited July 2015 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hello, i'm moving this from the Introductions page to here and will be posting future updates here as well.

Akira is now 14 weeks old and he's getting bigger and more independent. At 9 weeks, he was 7.7 lbs and at his 12 week check-up, he was 10.9 lbs. So far, he loves paper towels, tissues, plastic bags, 8x11 printer paper, basically anything he can rip up.

For the most part, he is house trained & crate-trained. I say 'for the most part' because he seems more independent now, and so i've let him wander around on his own in my place without me hovering over him constantly. As a result, he's had an accident here or there. Otherwise, he usually sits by my patio door when he wants/needs to go to the bathroom. He also loves his crate, he'll run in there if there's construction or a loud motorist outside. However, when i have to mop/sweep my floors, i put him in there and he whines (mostly because he wants to get out and attack my cleaning tools).

We also started a puppy kindergarten class last week, and he went straight for the bigger pups . He had no trouble with the obedience training as i've been doing some training with him already (sit, stay) and he's always sat down by default when he's curious or wants something. e.g. we may be walking and he'll suddenly just stop and sit down

Anyway, here are some pics of him between 10-14 weeks. Sorry for the poor lighting, i'm using my phone. (P.S. I'll try and film him attacking himself in a mirror):

Comments

• Akira's brindling is beautiful. What a handsome guy!
  • 16 week text update

Sorry, i can't upload (work) and don't have any recent pictures to upload but went to the vet on Monday for Akira's final rounds of shots and he weighed in at 15lb even! Is that low?

I think i may have 'spoiled' him, as my vet said, by feeding him from my hand too much and now he won't eat out of his bowl anymore. I'll just have to slow down the training/treats until he starts eating from his bowl again.
  • Cute dog there.

"So far, he loves paper towels, tissues, plastic bags, 8x11 printer paper, basically anything he can rip up. "

Be careful about plastic bags. He could swallow or suffocate.
  • edited September 2015
    Cute dog there.

"So far, he loves paper towels, tissues, plastic bags, 8x11 printer paper, basically anything he can rip up. "

Be careful about plastic bags. He could swallow or suffocate.
    Sorry for the late reply. I don't give him any bags, just the occasional tissue and paper towel to tear up! :) I'm very watchful of what he has and what is around him.

By the way, Akira is 6 months old now and he still loves ripping up paper!

Akira also had his surgery today (neuter) and he looks so sad with the Elizabethan cone on. :( I can't tell if he hates me or if it's just the anesthesia.

Otherwise, in the time between my last update and now, Akira has grown quite a bit. He was 24.2 lbs at our check in this morning and his chest has really filled out.

How does that compare with others on this board for a 6 month old Kai?

He still loves to play with bigger dogs, most noticeably a Newfoundland and Black Lab, at the fenced in dog park nearby, but he's also not the smallest one there anymore and he's been very gentle & curious of the little pups that come there.

As is noted by the breed traits, Akira loves playing with other dogs but is very timid or nonchalant with strangers. I've seen people try to pet him or call for him to come but he usually just ignores them or their hand. For obedience, he knows sit, down and i've been using cheese cubes & salami for his recall, which is pretty decent. His stay is a work in progress but it's getting there.

Here is resting during one of our hikes.

There were some stray kittens hanging outside of my dad's neighbor's house and the lot of them scared Akira. :) :(

Frat boy Akira

Crazy-eyes-4.5-month-old-Akira