Pinto?

edited May 2015 in General
My Akita mix is a pinto. Lately I started to notice something interesting about his spots/patches. It seems as if you were to remove the white then the markings beneath would form a logical pattern and not some random splotches of brown and black as I once thought. I went online and did some research on pinto but I couldn't find a definite answer to my questions.

Does anyone know if beneath the white markings of pinto if a dog retains their original pattern so that it shows through on their colored patches?

I'm bad at explaining so here are some photos
image image image The blue marks the black areas and I tried to connect everything to show his 'pattern as best as I can. His original owners said he was a husky/akita but I've always seen more GSD/akita, if pinto doesn't interfere with his normal coloring (I'm thinking that's true, but I wanted to check) then he's definitely got a shepherd 'saddle'.

Comments

• I totally see what you're talking about! I don't have an answer, but this is super interesting, and I think you're on to something. I'm sure someone knows something.

There's so many intricacies about coat colors and genetics and I'd love to learn more. This reminds me of the way a calico cat will have certain colored patches where you can see a tabby pattern.
  • edited May 2015
    Yes. The pinto just "strips" pigment in a certain pattern "on top" of the other genetic coat color pattern. So think of it as a layer "over" the "real" coat color. That might be the easiest way to describe it.

Your boy looks like an agouti, though, not a tan-point (which is likely what causes saddle markings).

This dog is what I imagine your dog would look like without the pinto pattern. It's called sable in GSDs, but I think it's "brown" in Akitas (American). This is best described as a type of sesame in other Japanese breeds, probably.

Then, with a little more white...
  • edited May 2015
    @Crispy thank you. Perhaps he is agouti, the edges are a bit... sloppy looking. I assumed it's because he was a mix but hes probably just brown. The top picture is also very similar to his build as well, besides the snout. Do you know his background?

Edit: yeah agouti, the black hairs are banded with red/brown towards the base.
  • I don't know the dog in particular, but google says this is the same animal, @Vulpesvulpes89

http://www.katana-ken.de/madmax.php
    http://www.katana-ken.de/galerie/index.php?c=11