Meet Okami! Brindle Akita Inu!

Meet Okami! He's from the Speier's kennel.

He was Born on December 15th, so he's going to be 5 months!

I've had an Akita prior to him, but he stayed with my family as I left home, and I needed/wanted another akita badly so here is Okami!

Comments

• He's so beautiful and looks so soft! I love the red shading behind his stripes as well.
  • Is he a mix? Or do akita naturally have that color mix? He sure is beautiful!
  • Hes gorgeous!
  • He's sooo pretty! I have a thing for brindle Akitas. I just love the way the pattern looks on their thick fur~ I really like the red tones in Okami's fur too!
  • Oh my. He is so adorable! He's like a big fluffy teddy bear. What stunning colours too.
  • @Jedkai he is not a mix, just brindle color!
  • He's lovely! @jedkai, there are varying types of brindle that are well within the standard for the Jap Akita. I'm still learning what to class them as, would he be considered silver brindle? My 15 month old bitch is more of a black brindle
  • edited May 2015
    This is not a silver brindle. It's a very pale red brindle (sometimes called white brindle) and not ideal for show... but the OP didn't ask about showing his dog so I don't think its really appropriate to critique or imply that its a mixed breed.

@dennis_sly Congrats on your puppy!
  • Looks like Julia's Toki! Any relations?
  • @PoetikDragon I was told he was of show quality, but maybe I'm wrong

@Ayk No relations, but I do know of toki and Julia!
  • @dennis_sly Most of the US breeders (myself included) categorize puppies as show prospects or companions based on the disqualifying faults in the breed. These faults include long coat, ears that don't stand up, tail that doesn't curl, spotted (not solid black/red) nose, extreme overbite or underbite, and monorchid or cryptorchid (one both testicles don't descend). I also include spotted tongue, full white collar, or being over or under the allowed height at 30 months old, though these are not technically disqualifying faults.

A puppy with one or more of these faults is usually sold for less since it is disqualified from show and in many cases shouldn't be bred; the breeder often requires spay/neuter in the sale contract. A puppy without these faults is usually sold for more and can be shown but that doesn't necessarily mean the pup will do well in shows. No breeder can guarantee a pup will do well in shows, no matter how great the puppy seems. But it is up to the buyer, if s/he is specifically looking for a show prospect, to really educate themselves on what traits are ideal and less preferred and choose their pup accordingly.

So to sum up: This puppy can be shown if your breeder's sale contract allows it. He does not have any obvious disqualifying faults from the pictures you posted. However, his color is not preferred, and as such, he may have trouble doing well in shows. (At least - to Japanese judges - since UKC judges don't know any better for the most part.)
  • Regardless of color he is the cutest little fluffy thing I have ever seen in my life :x !
  • edited May 2015
    For what its worth, every dog has faults. There's no such thing as a perfect dog. And all things considered, I would take a dog with less preferred color over many other undesired traits. Color - especially brindle - pretty much just affects the dog in question and changes dramatically from one generation to the next. Structure, bone, proportion, eyes, earset, paws, coat, etc etc.. affect the offspring too and take a lot more effort to fix. And it seems like if you fix one thing, you lose another...

EDIT: Hell. I kept a bright red brindle pup knowing the Japanese judges wouldn't like her - and they don't, a judge told me once she was the best in her age class but he refused to place her due to her color. But she's my dog and I look at her every day and I love her color, so that is far more important than the color preferences of someone I will never see again.

EDIT x2: Color preferences change over time, too. Right now black and silver brindles are "in vogue" while even correctly marked red brindles can have problems placing. But who knows what the trend will be in 10 years.
  • Okami is adorable!
  • edited May 2015
    @ayk - Same sire as Toki I believe.

Congrats on the new puppy. I think Okami is adorable enjoy your time together.

Off topic - I know some people throw around "jap" as an abbreviation but don't forget that it is offensive to some people as well.

BTW Never heard of a white brindle before, is that similar to the red sesame? I think I'll stick to the old standbys Kurotora, Akatora, and Shimofuri.

• edited May 2015
    @*JackBurton* A judge used it to describe Toramaru at the... 2011? 2012? AKIHO show. I've only heard it a couple times since, and then only from Europeans.

EDIT: He said shirotora and it was translated.
  • edited May 2015

Okami staring down to hollywood

Okami staring at me from inside my car. (This is where batman was filmed)
  • That picture is incredibly awesome.
  • Okami is stunning! Love all the pictures.
  • Okami's sire is Kouun Go, dam is Ayumi Go.

or as we call them, Mike and Yumi.
  • Not related to Toki.
    Just to clarify.

Every AKIHO judge is different what he prefers in every dog. It's an overall quality of the dog that the judge will see. I can't wait to see Okami in next year's AKIHO show. Also it's an honor to be judged by an AKIHO judge whether the dog is placed or not. The experience is pretty amazing.
    Congrats.
  • aykayk
    edited May 2015
    I think that there is some frustration at what one might perceive as a moving goalpost when it comes to following the Japanese ideals, but really, the NK folks have no idea how good they have it until they wander into the Jindo world. :P

For me, I would be happy to enter my dogs with all their weaknesses under a judge from the country-of-origin. I don't ever see in my future the ability to travel with the dogs to the country-of-origin, and I also don't have the funds to host a judge from the country-of-origin on my own. (Expected courtesy is paid flight + hotel + gift + bus tour.)

Though I see dogs dumped by judges (some politely, some not so gentle), I also see new connections being made. It's also not unheard of for the judge to send/gift a dog to make up for the lack that is present overseas if they see an earnest openmind instead of injured pride.

Downtown LA in the backround!
  • Keep the pictures coming~

Who is his friend?