Question about the difference how Kiba treats us versus strangers/everyone else

So first would start that I remember reading or someone telling me that sometimes dogs might seem more excited or happy with strangers/not their owners because they think of the owners as parents and everyone else is a buddy/friend. Similar to how humans have different relationships with parents/versus everyone else.

So when it is just Adam and I at home, Kiba pretty much just hides under the futon and doesn't come out unless I call him and giving him a brushing or chicken. He doesn't really interact with us much and he doesn't come out to play or sit on us etc.

When strangers, friends, anyone else comes over, he becomes a whole new dog. He does his first OMG I AM ANGRY LOOKING BARK at the people when they first come in (which sort of sucks...) but the moment anyone sits on the couch, he is IMMEDIATELY all over them. In their laps, asking for pets, rubbing his head akwardly on their heads (he does this alot). If he is on the couch and someone else (mostly not me) approaches the couch, he doesn't run, and they can easily pick him up and manhandle him without him freaking out, running away, or getting upset.

Is this typical Kai or just dog behavior?

It is interesting because Kiba and Taro (my shiba) are pretty much polar opposites. Taro LOVES being around us, will follow us, likes to sit with us etc, but when people come over (when it isn't her FAV people) she pretty much ignores them, cowers in the bathroom and is no where to be seen (pretty typical shiba though).

It isn't something I am worried about. I just think it is interesting that he opens up so much with strangers. As much as I would LOVE if he did that with me, it does make me very happy that he is VERY social with people. Even at the last shiba meetup, he kept trying to sit in the laps of people sitting on the benches and he was way more into the people than the other shibas (according to Adam).

Comments

• He seems to be "selectively extroverted" which is what I think Suki is. She likes us just fine, she just has her own weird ways of showing it (I.e. Licking random body parts, stepping on us, not wagging her tail, inspecting my work pants to see what dogs I've hung out with, running away when we try to be "normal" affectionate, giving us the stink eye).

But if a stranger (dog, child, or adult) comes by she is sitting for pets, staring longingly into their eyes, wagging her tail, giving non-awkward kisses. She puts on a great show.

It's something that I have had learn to love about her and still catching myself question. I'm beyond happy that she would happily be kidnapped by a stranger because having the opposite happen would be harder to deal with in an urban/suburban surrounding.

What I have noticed is that Suki does like to be close enough that she can see us (not necessarily in the same room, but in a general close vicinity, unless she's getting into trouble) but she is not a cuddly Kai by any means.

I think it's karma coming back to get me because it reminds me of how I was with my family when I was a teenager. LOL.