New JA pup

edited March 2015 in Akita (秋田犬)
Male JA brindle from the Speiers in Texas.

He's been with me 2 weeks now and is definitely a handful. Very inquisitive yet sometimes very aloof. My first JA so there will be a lot of firsts for me. He already had his first vet visit where several people asked if he was half bear

Also his colors keep changing ever so slightly over these past weeks and I'm not quite sure how he will turn out but I love his white socks and tipped tail haha, will be interesting to see him grow and change.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    imageimage" />

imageimage" />
  • He looks adorable, what's his name?.. Cant wait till we get our Japanese Akita!
  • Awwwwww! "Brindle Is Better!" enjoy that sweet stripey little guy!
  • Cute pup. :)
  • Aww! He's so cute!!
  • Forgot to mention his name, "Toro"
  • Cuuuute!! His ears are still a little floppy too :)
  • Oh he's lovely!! I miss when ours was a baby puppy!! Haruki also changed colour as she matured, she is a black brindle :)
    I just wanna cuddle your pup!!
  • @koyuki do they tend to lighten up or darken? From what I've seen they lighten up as they mature. How old is Haruki now?
  • edited March 2015
    Genetically speaking, red and brindle Japanese Akitas are homozygous for the sable gene. This means that a newborn puppy is born significantly darker than its adult color - typically a brownish color. As the dog grows, all of the hairs with red pigment (pheomelanin) will lighten from dark brown to burnt orange, gold, or white. The body hairs with black pigment (eumelanin) will remain the same, while the mask and dark socks a newborn puppy has will turn white. Additionally, as a dog gets bigger his or her markings will also get bigger with more space in between; on a brindle dog the increased space between stripes can make it look like it has larger red/silver stripes than it did as a baby, thus overall seeming lighter in color.

None of this applies to white Japanese Akitas, since the gene responsible for "white" works in a different manner. A white JA starts out pigmented similarly to its siblings with a black nose which will usually fade within a year. As they get older, their coat may become biscuit-colored or shaded with red, particularly if the nose remains a darker color. (Think of it this way: more pigment = more pigment; darker nose = darker coat.)
  • @poetikdragon hmm, I get most of what your saying. However, is that to say it's not really possible to tell if a Pup would theoretically be a white brindle at birth when compared to a red brindle?
  • Aw, Toro is so cute!
  • edited March 2015
    Deez,

So items like white boots, white tip tail will generally stay the same on a brindle. What will change , white markings on the face and/or neck area. These in some cases will thin up as the pup ages. Also as the guard coat comes in, brindles usually develop some amount of grey around the body usually at the front and rear of the dog. The rest of the brindle will usually lighten up as the dog ages.

Also what do you mean about White Brindle? JA come as Akatora(red brindle), Kurotora(black brindle), and Shimofuri (the translations is frost on a field or the marbling found on a piece of steak). Golden, blue, reverse, any other term of brindle is just slang or found in American Akitas.

• Ahhh I see. I guess I've heard the term blue brindle. So what would a predominantly all white JA with only black stripes be labeled?
  • Missmarked is what I would call it. To me it's no different than a red or brindle with a full white collar. It could be a totally health awesome JA just not an accepted color nor something that should be bred for. Again we are talking proper markings and this has no bearing on the health and function of the dog.

Now this is what would be known as Shimofuri:

• White spots/Full white collars are faults or disqualify? Could you elaborate on that point for me? As I've seen various references to that but not a lot in AKIHO standard. Would love to learn more.

Also I've seen someone post an almost all white JA with very sparse black striping(this is what I was mainly alluding to), so I'll try and dig up the picture.
  • Unlike a lot of standards you need to think of the Akiho standard as an onion. There is no core in an onion instead you have many basic ideas layered together. That forms your base standard. As the years go on the judges write articles or hold seminars where this is defined better these are new layers on top of the old layers.

The deal with the white collar is that a full white collar breaks up the one distinct marking that both red and Brindle need to have which is Urajiro. As the white comes up the neck, if it makes a full collar that is akin to pinto which is a DQ.

I haven't finished editing the video yet but we filmed our judges seminar this year for the Akiho-LA show. He went into detail about brindle, how the stripes need to be defined, why a white collar(not half or 3/4) is not accepted, how an Akatora should be etc. I should have that up on our Akiho members Facebook section within a week or so.

• edited March 2015
    There is no such thing as a white dog with black stripes. There are very, very pale red brindles, but "white brindle" isn't genetically possible. As the standard calls for all colors to be bold and strong, pale color of any kind is discouraged. There is a very pale girl named Azayaka (you can google image search) who is the closest I've seen to a white brindle, but there is still red tone in the stripes.

EDIT: Not to be confused with what I was talking about earlier, a white dog that is genetically brindle or genetically red. By this I mean the dog looks white, but the white is hiding the dog's true coat pattern - which must be red or brindle.

EDIT x2: When I say pale color is discouraged, I mean in an overall sense rather than individual hairs. Urajiro creates pale color, as well as silver brindle. But it must be in balance with the dark hairs of the dog's body, not overwhelmingly light. Of course, white is the exception - it is the lack of color, and should be completely colorless.

• @Deez, Haruki is 13 months now. Her face has lightened up, but the colouring is different all over her body. Her brindle pattern being more defined now. Not necessarily darker or lighter all over. I'll have to find a recent photo to post, but if you look in my thread 'introducing Haruki', there are some photos in there from puppy age up to about 8-9 months I think
  • @koyuki went thru your thread, pretty significant change, and beautiful pup :)

@poetikdragon thanks for the info, makes sense

Also update:
    He is progressing really well with house training and basic obedience commands like sit down stay come leave it. However he HATES his crate at night and trust me I've tried everything. From feeding him there, luring him with treats, systematically introducing it to him during the day, and he seems to tolerate eating inside and getting treats and praise etc. also to note I'm familiar with a lot of principles of dog training due to my psychology and behavior modification with kids background, but..

I would LOVE any advice with this issue. Is it simply more time that's needed? He
    simply howls in it at night if crated to sleep.

Also he seems to love to bite me on my knees as I walk by and it seems to be his way of getting my attention. I've been conditioning him to do it less and he has gotten much better but still occasionally likes to nip my knees or hands as if it was a game. I make sure to leave him be and stop interacting and he gets the point and stops but, will he ever get to the point where he/they won't nip at all? Or is it something that simply comes with the territory of a 2-3mo puppy -__- Despite my behavior modification background this is my first puppy in my adult life, and as we all know having them as kids can be vastly different.
    Additionally my parents tended to use certain methods on our dogs as children which I wouldn't personally use and consider to be detrimental to the dogs psyche and attitude. Id prefer to stick to positive/negative reinforcement and negative punishment while avoiding positive punishment. Anyways just ranting and looking for advice.
  • Deez,

If you a member of either Akiho or JACA I would post these questions on their internal facebook pages. Lots of people discuss their JA and training there you might get a more indepth response there.
  • i found tuna belly here too!!!!! how is your dog~!?