growing my knowledge

edited February 2015 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hello,

I am fairly new to the forum, been on a few months now. Everyone has been extremely helpful. I've had much success with PoeticDragon, as she has been a wealth of information. I know breeders are busy, but is it common to not get a response for months? I've been trying quite hard to find a breeder in my general area that will meet me so that I may start the process of getting to know breeders, etc., and spend some time with the JA's. I'm not in a huge hurry, as I know the process can take some time, but I am looking for a JA this year if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

jamayer

Comments

• Where are you located (I feel like I remember you saying Texas)? Which breeders have you contacted? How have you contacted them? Are you willing to travel to meet breeders (most are on the West Coast)?

If you are looking to get a puppy by the end of the year, you might be disappointed. Most breeders are going to have a wait list and will probably have less than two litters a year.
  • @sunyata yes, I'm in Austin, TX. I've contacted Hyozan Kennels, but have not heard back. I contacted them saying that I was looking to meet breeders and JA's per recommendation from this forum. I've also contacted Ben at Kobun Kennels. He got back with me right away to set up a phone date. At this point, I am just trying to meet someone in my area who owns JA's so that I can spend some time with the breed and get to know potential breeders. I've been interested in the breed for many years, but want to make sure we are right for each other. I am not opposed to traveling for a breeder, which I'm pretty sure I'll have to do anyway, but I figured that decision would be made later on down the line when a relationship had been established. I'm taking baby steps right now, as I know this process can be a lengthy one. Thank you so much for your response sunyata
  • I would call the Sjobergs (Hyozan Kennels) because they are an older couple who aren't the most savvy at Internet things.
  • @PoeticDragon to the rescue! That explains things.. thanks. Unfortunately, there is no contact info other than an email address.
  • Did you contact Minami Kennels?
  • @BearMom No, I haven't. I was trying to find a place closer to where I live. Minami Kennels are in Houston, right? I could probably manage a drive there on a weekend. Thanks
  • edited February 2015
    Also near Hyozan Kennels is the Speiers... I don't know their kennel name.
  • edited February 2015
    Jamayer, I just spoke with Ben of Kobun Akitas, and mentioned your difficulty in finding a breeder. He does not recall hearing from you, but said you are welcome to call. His number is on the website...Kobun or JACA. You really should talk to him if you want straight talk on Japanese Akitas. He and Hyozan are founders of the Japanese Akita Club in America. He has had more experience with these dogs than anyone else in the JACA group.
  • edited February 2015
    PoetikDragon and Jamayer,
    If you look at my introduction, I have listed the 3 Texas breeders that I know of and their contact information.
  • The Speiers actually just had a litter in late December.. I got my male brindle from them just 2 weeks ago.
    I was talking on and off for 2 years with Hyozan and the Speiers (kennel name is Queseraja) before finally getting a pup.

To my knowledge both these breeders are less than an hour apart. I live in Miami fl and met with the Speiers halfway when it was finally time to grab my pup.

They (like most of the JA breeders in the US) care a lot about the breed and are very knowledgeable when it comes to the dogs. However hearing back from them often takes time. I would contact Hyozan again, as well as the Speiers since they are both in Texas.

Good luck