Kai Ken Energy Levels

edited January 2015 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
As I've researched Kais, I've found a lot of contradicting information about this. I've heard some things about them being low energy dogs, and others saying that they are very high energy.

I'd like a dog who's energy levels are above average, but nothing extreme. For all those Kai owners out there, I'd really appreciate if you'd be willing to let me know how much your dog exercise your dog usually gets per day.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    So I try and exercise mine as much as I can...I like to think they're a very active breed, but I wouldn't say they need miles and miles or straight running twice a day like my husky did growing up. Before we moved to our house, they were both fine in a condo..I took them out for a long walk every day, played fetch inside with them, and took them to run at a park whenever we could so they could run...now they get at least a hike a day and they chase each other around the backyard. I don't think they require a ton, but I think they're happiest and healthiest when they get a good run in (at least my older one...she needs a good SPRINTING, not just a run with me). They're veeerry good at chilling too haha I also did agility with my older one for a while when a place close to us was still open, and I do lure coursing with them every chance I get as some stuff to do on the side :)
  • We try to exercise ours for about an hour a day if it's not as heavy of a workout (i.e. Walks). If it's some sprinting or pretty heavy chasing game with the two of them, about 20-45 minutes depending on how long they last. We currently live in a two story apartment so we have to be conscious how much they've been exercising to make sure they don't go stir crazy. We usually do agility 1-2x a week, puplates 1x a week, renting out a doggy gym 1x a week for either 30 or 60 minutes each. Walks in between.
    If we don't follow that general template, they exercise each other by playing chase around the apartment, up the stairs, and jumping on the bed. Before we got the younger one, Luna, if Suki didn't get enough exercise or skipped a middle of the week agility class, she would get mildly destructive. She started digging at the carpet on the stairs and ripped a hole in it, and would find socks and things to steal. But she hasn't done that since the little one arrived. Not saying that will happen to each Kai, but it can when they're not stimulated enough.
  • our exercise is mostly hiking, and we go for at least an hour or two 5 days a week. On non-hiking days we play in the yard, and have leash walks on the road up the hill. I think this is a lot though, and Kai can be very happy with less. Most important is your engagement with them- together-things, however your circumstances allow. Classes, sports, events, teaching tricks or playing Find It in the house, fetch (mine love fetch and find it), car rides, exploring in town or in the woods. Kai are definitely a checked-in dog, and your dedicated attention to them I'd say is at least as important as pure exercise.
  • Well said @WrylyBrindle... we do find that even when we dont take them out for as long of a hike as we would have liked, etc.. but they get to come run errands with us, or go stop at some breweries with friends, they're tired and happy they just get to share experiences together :) Kai are great companions ♥
  • There's not a whole lot to do in our area during the winter, so my Kai plays in the back yard and inside a lot. We have a Shiba that she runs around with in the back yard, but mostly everything comes in spurts. She's really high energy for about 10 minutes, and sleeps for an hour, lol!

In the summer, we do small hikes with the Kai and Shiba and we walk around downtown. We are also able to go on more car ride adventures with her.

She generally just likes to be around us and whatever we do tickles her. :)
  • I haven't had a lot of experience with Kai, but I find energy levels usually have more to do with stimulation and metal work just as much as physical exercise. Being home more and doing more with your dog often fulfills their individual needs more than a series of intensive exercise session in between shifts at work.

Hope some of the lovely Kai owners here can give you something of a consensus! This was something I was wondering as well, as I'm positive that Shikoku and Hokkaido have way too much energy for me, but Akita and Kai seem right, with Akita being probably a bit too low energy... :)
  • My Kai is pretty laid back. He does get his bursts of energy, but those are short lived then he is back to being "okay, I'm good, it's cool". He does get a few long walks a day. and we train agility for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours a week. During agility these are when I can see the really crazy in him. If I'm not ahead of him he won't see what I'm trying to do and run off with a wild tick up his butt. Then he remembers that I have food and comes charging at me... tail down, ears down... full speed. Then comes to a sudden halt and sits waiting for his treat. Ah. silly boy. We do always end each agility run with an excited 'two paw' high fives excited squeal.. Then he trots off like a stud to his crate. When we go for our daily walks I do try to work them mentally too. This is were our rally obedience experience comes in. Whip out a food treat and he is all ready to work. These are simple: around, front, pivot etc. Nothing to drastic. Overall, he just loves to hang around his people and be part of whatever we are doing. My shiba has way more energy than him.
  • edited January 2015
    Energy level of the Kai breed has a lot to do with the age of the individual and the lines they are from. Older Kai are pretty chill, and a Kai from Akashi's lines will be lower energy level than, say, a Kai from Ayu's lines. When you mix those two lines, you'll get pups that fall on either side of the spectrum.

If you want a 30,000 foot view of the breed, I'd say their energy level is average for the NK breeds. For sure our Hokkaido and the Shiba I've been around have had more energy than our average Kai Ken, but I'd also say our average Kai Ken has more energy than our Shikoku and Akita in the past. The Kishu is probably similar to the Kai in energy level IMHO.

Something that needs to be understood about all the NK breed is that they are "designed" to be relatively chill in the house. The hunting season in Japan is short, and the NK breeds were expected to be calm family companions during the off season, but ready to hunt hard and often, with little rest, during the hunting season.

So, if you own an NK and do not take them out much, they will be lazy and low energy around the house. If you own a NK and do take them out all the time, then they are more than ready and willing to go-go-go. IMHO this is something unique and special with the NK breeds, as many hunting and working breeds do not have an "off switch".
  • Thanks everyone! From what you guys have given me, that sounds like what I'm looking for.
  • My kais are in the average I think.
    We live in a apartment so we haven't yard. We walk them 3 or 4 times a day (city, park) and they have to be leashed all the time. We also love to teach them some tricks. So during the week end, we go in my parents's garden so they could run like crazy and we go to the dog class like that they spend all "the week energy" to play with other dogs and do some exercices.
    My younger kai (7 months old female) is energic, always want to do something and my older (2.5yrs old male) loves to watch by the window, sleep and play with the girls (I have a shiba too).
  • We only have Hello Kitty but she seems to have that switch Brad mentioned. She is quite calm indoors but ready for action in a heartbeat. Loves to hike in the mountains when we visit Colorado. She also has a good recall which may be her or the early recall work we did. She likes to keep an eye on us.
  • I have a kai who is lower in the apartment as long as we get our five miles of walks in a day. If we do less we play harder in the apartment. Like all medium size dogs they have lots of good get up and go energy. If you keep them appropriately stimulated (walks, taining, brain exercises) super easy to manage. My kai will get destructive if I let her get bored for too long ( like the week I was sick and we couldnt do as much she showed those magazines!)
  • Well, Ren is absolutely ready for any sort of outdoor fun and will "go" all day if we're out doing something and being active, with rest periods of walking around. If there's nothing to do though, she's absolutely ready to be a couch potato. Brad said it best, though. Their energy level pretty much matches whatever the activity is.
  • My boy (Akashi x Ayu) can be chill in the house now, as is an adult, but he has been pretty active even indoors (which means getting into things, including stealing things, and climbing furniture, etc). I'd say he was slightly less active indoors than a young Shiba. He's pretty busy outdoors though. We usually go for at least a brief walk every day (1/2 hour or so), but he never gets tired on very long hikes when we have those, and he is fairly active in the yard, running back and forth, climbing on things, engaging the Akitas in chase games.

I don't find his activity levels to be too much, because as others have said, he adapts quite well to what is going on, and he's also happy to curl up on the sofa (or on the back of the sofa). More active than my Akitas for sure, but they aren't really active dogs in my book.
  • I've been a slacker on the forums and may be posting well after the fact. Nero is an apartment dog. He 'officially' gets walked 3 times a day approximately a mile each time. That number can increase depending on our hours as all 3 of us share in taking care of him. My daughter especially will usually run him for part of that. He will generally get a few shorter walks and an occasional longer walk on any give day. During the harsh cold winter here in Chicago he didn't go out as much as we would have liked. We also have decent sized dog run in the complex we sometimes use, however limited since there are large number of rude people who fail to understand that they need to help keep the community clean.

We also have a Forest Preserve with hiking trails we use more depending on weather. I've stopped using the local Forest Preserve dog park due to outbreaks of dog flu and a few other issues.

Nero has 'zoomies' and races from one end of the apartment to the other. Nero communicates extremely well. I spend on average 30-45 minutes every night playing fetch and tug with him. He would certainly play longer and sometimes we do. It has become a routine and truth is it helps me unwind from what are generally stressful work days. In fact I look forward to that time with him now.

In short, at least from my experience with Nero, he is an active dog and does look forward to that activity. He has a 'potty bell' he will sometimes ring just for the attention of a walk (he is incredibly intelligent) but usually he will give me several other clues first. If he rings the bell for something other than a potty run, it's because we weren't paying him attention and he gently reminds us of what is important in life.
  • I love Sosuke's energy level. He's up for anything, but he's quite content indoors all day, too, if I don't manage to get him out much.

When Rakka (Shikoku) was younger, she definitely needed more exercise or she would become quite agitated. She's 8 now, and she does fine with leisurely neighbourhood strolls and the occasional hike. Sosuke's 4, and I'd say he really needed daily walks in his first year or two and now he's pretty chill. I take him out more than Rakka. Partly because he's younger and partly because he's easier to take places (doesn't fight with other dogs, kill small animals, etc).

When I take my pups off leash, I have to go out to where there are no people or trails, meaning, random coulees by the river. It works them pretty hard because they are constantly running up and down hill over rough terrain, and they handle it just fine. Sosuke likes to swim, so he gets an extra workout. After a couple hours of that, we go home and they chill out until next weekend, or whenever we get back out to the river. Sometimes we take a nice walk with the kids on their bikes around the block. Some days we don't get out and the dogs are fine.