More and more convinced that Kiba has issues just with me.

So I've noticed that Kiba is more open and less afraid of pretty much everyone but me. He definitely prefers Adam and I've been told it is common for dogs to pick one person to get attached to, but I feel that I prevent him from feeling comfortable and really open up.

His progress has been good for the most part. We've had him for 6 months now. His tail is up most of the time, he does well on walks, he is interactive and starting to pay attention and moving around more. He still hides when given the opportunity, but easily comes out from under the futon when you call him and point to the door.

But he really shies away from me whenever I approach him. He doesn't do it to Adam, or ANYONE who comes to our house. He no longer sits with me on the couch on his own, but he hops up when it is time to go outside and it is the way I attach the leash to him. When people come over and sit on the couch, he is immediately in their laps asking for pets. He will still sit at Adam's feet at his computer and ask for pets, but he does seem to nudge him less than at our previous apartment.

This weekend, I was out of town for a friends bridal shower. I was talking to Adam each day and he was giving me dog updates. Kiba was coming out of his hiding places more and exploring the apartment. I guess he was barking and whining at some point in the middle of the night at the window (maybe he saw something). Adam's sister and husband came over and he hung out with them for hours even though he had access to the futon and cubby hole. He was playing chase with Taro in the apartment (this has NEVER happened. He always has ignore her or snarled at her for getting too close to him in his safe places). They went to a park on Sunday and let both dogs be off leash and he and Taro were playing for the first time ever. He even came to Natalie (Adams sister) when she called him and followed them around and let her pet him with no cowering whatsoever.

I am SOOO happy he did so incredibly well, but he came out of his shell a bit back when we first had him when I was gone one weekend and took Taro with me and this is the first weekend since then that I've been gone. His interactions with Adam, his sister, friends who come over...is more positive than with me. I don't know why. I've toned back a bit to make things less overwhelming. I've been doing way less forced interactions and letting him do more of his own thing, but I come to the futon and will pet him under it. We do close the room off at night and he comes to the dog bed in the bedroom which is next to where I sleep (he comes there on his own) and I usually pet him before going to bed. He never hops in the bed when I'm in it, but he has when it was just Adam. If Adam gets up, he doesn't do anything, but if I get up out of the bed, he runs out of the room.

The only theory we have is that I picked him up alone from Kim and took him away from his family, so maybe he still associates me with that...but that seems silly right?

I know I should expect it to take a full year for his adjustment, and I am glad he finally acknowledge Taro in a positive manner, but I am really depressed about how he seems so scared and uncomfortable with me and Adam and I don't understand why. I don't act differently than him (except I am more vocal), but I do spend more time with the dogs in general. I am the one who exercises them the most, interacts with them the most, I am the one who feeds them, and for the most part, gives the most treats, I bandaged Kiba's torn paw pad, I take them to the vet... Maybe it is just too much me...It's hard for Adam to commit more time to them because of work and stuff and he doesn't going running and I do and take the dogs with me.

Sorry for the long post, just feeling pretty down. I really do think I should consult a behaviorist and see if I am doing something that makes him just not trust me.

I will post the video of him playing with Taro in just a bit. I want to edit it because it it was being filmed the wrong way and then flips halfway, so it's annoying.

Comments

• Jen.
    We've been through this buddy. :P
    You're thinking too much into it <3
    And he can pick up on it, that it makes you feel down.
    Don't worry about it. Hes coming around. Focus on the good. You got this~
  • Tain...you're right. I just get worked up.

Here is the video of them playing in the meantime. He is so happy: