All time top breeds to own

edited April 2008 in Other Breeds

in light of Jon L. deciding whether or not to get a Tamaskan, which is in my top 5: if you all had to make the list, what would your top 5 breeds be?

mine are Swedish Vallhund; a reformed/rescued pitbull, staffy, neopolitan mastiff or Tosa Inu; tamaskan; saluki; welsh terrier (just to hug it)

Comments

• edited November -1

Japanese- Type Akita, Bernese Mountain Dog, St. Bernard, Vizsla, Rottweiler, Newfoundland, Great Pyranese, Australian Shepard, Bullmastiff

• edited April 2008

Only 5?!?!Smile Ok,in no particular order...

Leonberger (of course)

Broholmer

Cão de Castro Laboreiro

Anatolian Shepperd

Newfie

Great Dane (if I find the right one)

Bullmastiff (again if I find the right one)

Irish Wolfhound

Jamthund

Maremmano Abruzzese

Ok, not 5, but five is hard. The list would probably be bigger than this...

• edited November -1

Leon is cheating!!!! Tongue out

Ours are:

Japanese Akita

Shikoku

Kai

More shiba's

and a full Pit (only american breed I think I will get)

• edited November -1
    Rachael, you snitch!Tongue out I wasn't the only cheater! (wait, now I'm a snitch too...EmbarassedTongue out)
  • edited April 2008

I have 6: Belgian Malinois, Shikoku, Sloughi, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Australian Kelpie, or a Koolie!

• edited April 2008
    Oh wow, I don't think I can narrow it down to five. I am almost certain my next dog is going to be a JA. After that, I have no idea but I do know that Shikoku and Rottweiler are on the list. Maybe a Weimaraner? I have explicitly tried to not pick a top five because the more breeds I know I want to own the more likely it is that I'll try to own them at the same time! :-)

Edit: I just realized I left Hokkaido of the list.
  • edited November -1

Tough question...

Hokkaido, Norwegian Elkhound, Weimaraner, Keeshond,  and perhaps a Great Dane

• edited November -1

Here is my list, ordered by my interest in the breed(s) and more than 5:

• Karelian Bear Dog
    • Tibetan Mastiff
    • West Siberian Laika
    • Swedish Elkhound
    • Inuit Dog
    • Great Pyrenees (gray color)
    • Bull Terrier

Obviously all the breeds we have currently supersede the list above.

• edited November -1
    I have a feeling after Jamie a Hokkaido may be added to my list.
  • edited November -1
    I love you Brad but Bull Terrier has got to be the most funniest looking dog ever!!
  • edited November -1

Husky

Pitt

Mutt

Rottie

Dobie

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm not really interested in getting dogs that I can't get through rescue/shelters.

And their is the sweetest 6 month hold Husky at the shelter right now.  I almost stole him.     

• edited November -1
    Get him Brandon!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Chad wants your whole list.  He never liked pits (believed the stereotypes) until we got Sasha.
  • edited November -1

JUST five? That's impossible! Here's the closest I can get-

Jamthund/Swedish Elkhound

American Tundra Shepherd 

East Siberian Laika

Kunming Dog

Native American Indian Dog 

Karafuto ken

Shikoku ken 

Cretan Hound

Phu Quoc dog 

I'll wrap this up before the list gets too long. 

Yeah, I have a thing for rare breeds. Even though some seem next to impossible to get. Anyone know if there are any Jamthunds in North America?

• edited November -1

Ok, a while has passed so I can post more breedsTongue out. Cause the list is probably around 30 breeds long...

So, again no particular order...

Cane Corso

Dobermann

Ca de Bestiar

Komondor

Kuvasz

Tchiorny Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Kai Ken

Bernese Mountain Dog

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog

But, probably, out of all the breeds I posted, the one I would have right now, if I could, is the Irish Wolfhound.

• edited November -1
    Karafuto ken??
  • edited November -1

in no order:

Jack Russell

German Shepherd

Bull Terrier

Samoyedo

and Kai Ken (new in my list ^-^)

Tongue out

• edited November -1

All the rare breeds mentioned.... most of which I have never heard of.

I'm so happy with my Shiba I don't think I want another breed.  Before now I had always been a terrier person and had wanted a Norwich, but didn't want to pay the price for one.   I must not have wanted one that bad and so glad I didn't get one.  It is not the right dog for me.

Even still, I know our tastes change as well as our lifestyles.  Since I read this as a hypothetical question, my boring list would be:

Australian Cattle

Canaan

Kerry Blue Terrier

Akita

Giant Schnauzer

• edited November -1

ooh - Karafuto ken. nice. they are a bit 'husky' like, aren't they?

• edited August 2008
    Shiba
    Wolf
    Shikoku
    Hokkaido
    Japanese Akita
    Australian Shepherd
    Coonhound
    Rottie
    Pit Bull
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1

We're not quite the dog connosieurs that you all are but this is our list ;P

1. another Shiba

2. Rottweiler

3. Chocolate lab

4. Australian Shepherd

5. Shikoku

(I want an Akita but he would have to have a collagen deficiency like Hilo because his ears are the most adorable!! :P)

• edited November -1
    From reading this list...we all like a challenge when it comes to dogs lmao. well i would've put hybrids and shibas on the list but it's already a given that we'll have them :P and because we've already owned them in the past.
  • edited November -1
    Well, I'm planning on getting an Icelandic Sheepdog this summer, so I guess that tops the list!  After that, I'd have to think a little harder about it.  It's hard to narrow it down since I'm interested in so many breeds.  
  • edited November -1
    why an Icelandic Sheepdog?
  • edited November -1

Pit

Shikoku

Dogue de Bordeaux 

Japanese Akita

Rottie 

• edited November -1
    I'm getting an Iceland Sheepdog because they do all the things I want to do.  I want to donate puppies to be hearing assistance dogs, volunteer with search and rescue and therapy dog work, and on top of that, there's agility, flyball, conformation, breeding, etc.  Plus, I like spitz dogs.  There aren't a lot of spitz breeds that will do all that, but there are examples of Iceland Sheepdogs doing all of those things.  Plus, there's a lot of diversity in the breed.  They are still being bred for health, temperament, workability, and genetic diversity more than conformation, so they haven't been split into show and working lines and their working instinct hasn't been ruined by people just breeding for looks.  
  • edited November -1
    Oh yeah, I also want to own a small flock of sheep someday, so having sheepdogs around will be handy.  Actually, the kind of sheep I want is Icelandic Sheep, so they go together perfectly!  Noah and I have also decided we'd like to hunt for food (or at least have the option) so maybe we'll put the shikokus (since we plan to have more of them, someday, too) to work and everyone will have a job!  
  • edited November -1
    I love that Heidi. You give the dogs a purpose and figure out a way of killing 2 stones with 1 bird (yes that was on purpose). You figure out what you can do for the dog as well as what the dog can do for you. If you hunt any deer, you are required to send me meat :P
  • edited November -1

I guess we're not too diverse with our choices...more of the same:

another (or few) shikoku

border collie/mixes, they're so great...amazing smart - I don't know if I ever won't have a border collie

Shiba. Someday...when we stop moving...as it is 4 dogs is putting a hurt on the rental stuff. Jack may have to be my OH puppy :-(. Very sad. He's my soccer buddy - the only one who will chill and watch the game with me.

ummm....maybe a kishu or hokkaido? I think Tommy's list is all the Japanese breeds, maybe not the Tosa

Rhodesian Ridgeback/mix - almost was our 4th dog, before we found out about the shikoku! I've never been owned by a hound breed. Maybe someday.

• edited November -1
    Shikokus are hounds.
  • skysky
    edited November -1

I'd definatly have to get a second shiba

Another Rottweiler ( Unfortunatly my rott is getting old Cry )

Japenese Akita

Great dane

Alaskan Malamute

And there's a whole lot more I'd want, the list is endless