Upcoming Lure Coursing CATs - Update 11/17/15
  • zandramezandrame
    EDIT - dynamic link for upcoming CATs in all states - from today to listed future

There has been some recent interest in lure coursing, so I'll try to post upcoming events here.

-Saturday 1/17
    Winning Edge Dog Sports Center, Chino, California. (This is the same place we've done all of Kouda's CATs.)
    -Two CATs will be held (morning and afternoon), with optional fun runs after each, given time.
    -Details here, contacts and directions in premium.
    http://socalcoursing.com/events/cca-akc-all-breed-coursing-ability-tests-2-3/

We will be attending, and if all goes well, Kouda will get his CAA title.
    Post edited by zandrame at 2015-11-17 19:35:49
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Oooh, may need to bring along my goober, Kurama to have a run at this...

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• zandramezandrame
    Ooh yes, @CrimsonO2! Since the Shikoku was just added to FSS, we need to get them out there! ;)

If you want to run for titles but aren't registered, @mdokic went through the hoops to get her Kai girls registered last year, so she might have some tips.

But if you're only interested in fun runs, there's that option too (and they are cheaper). They are offered based on time and interest, so contact Justin from the club for more concrete details.
  • mdokicmdokic
    @CrimsonO2 come hang out and try some fun runs at least! :) I'm excited for this weekend, the girls haven't ran in what already seems like forever! xP
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    Pictures of our NK attendees from 1/17 in Chino -

Kona

Kouda

Kimber
  • zandramezandrame
    A couple more California AKC events coming up in February, in Chino again and in the Bay area.

Saturday 2/28
    Winning Edge Dog Sports Center, Chino, California.
    - Two CATs will be held (morning and afternoon), with optional fun runs after each, given time.
    - Details here, contacts and directions in premium.
    http://socalcoursing.com/events/scihc-akc-all-breed-coursing-ability-tests-2-2/

Saturday 2/21 and Sunday 2/22
    Monterey Bay Coursing Association, at Brigantino Park, Hollister, California
    - Four CATs will be held, 2 each day: morning and afternoon. Availability of fun runs unknown.
    - Details here, on the Future Events tab
    https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/akc_clubs/?7046
  • mdokicmdokic
    @zandrame, I think Nate and I will be coming to the 2/28 one, and I think we're getting Kona's sister out to hang out too! She'll try some fun runs to see if Saki likes it too! :)

Saki is the sweetest ♥
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    Found a new AKC event search tool today. You can select individual states, and choose the event type from the dropdown ("Coursing Ability Test" is what we want).
    Search Link

I'm not sure if the results are dependant on cookies, but here's the link I got for upcoming events in all states
    All States Results Link

For February and March, I'm seeing events in:

- Phoenix, AZ (Feb 7/8)
    - Hollister, CA (Feb 21/22)
    - Tallahassee, FL (Feb 21/22)
    - Chino, CA (Feb 28)
    - Sloughhouse, CA (Feb 28)
    - Auburn, WA (Feb 28)
    - Camarillo, CA (Mar 1)
    - Albuquerque, NM (Mar 7/8)
    - Edmond, OK (Mar 7)
    - Roy, WA (Mar 14/15)
    - Sloughhouse, CA (Mar 14)
    - Rogers, AR (Mar 14)
    - Lewisburg, TN (Mar 21/22)
    - Colchester, CT (Mar 28/29)
    - High Springs, FL (Mar 28/29)

• Kira_InuKira_Inu
    There's no lure coursing love in Virginia. :(

Sigh...
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Kira the Cream Shiba

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • mdokicmdokic
    @Kira_Inu :(
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kira_Inu - Stay tuned... There is one coming up in April out in Loudoun County. Once I get all of the details, I will post it up (but will not be able to personally attend, because it is the same weekend as a 13 hour race that I have already signed up for).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • zandramezandrame
    @sunyata, @Kira_Inu, I see the CHAMP event in Berryville on the calendar, April 12 (their website says 13th).
    http://www.champlurecoursing2.org/CHAMP_EventsPremiums.htm

But I also wouldn't be surprised if clubs aren't done finalizing events for the year yet.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @zandrame - That is the one I was discussing. The 12th is a "practice" run, and non-registered entrants can do a fun run on that date. The 13th is the full event.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • Kira_InuKira_Inu
    Awwww thanks for looking out you guys. Now I'm feeling the love :x

That looks like it will be the weekend after the closing on our new house (fingers crossed) so I may not be able to make it if that's the case. We shall see...
    imageimage

• mdokicmdokic
    Good luck on the close!!! ♥
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • mdokicmdokic
    @CrimsonO2 , will you be coming to the CATs in Chino at the end of this month? @zandrame and I are sending in the forms monday, and I think Mandi is coming for fun runs and will bring Saki! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    aaaaaaaayyyyyyeeee.....think so! :) Will likely only come with my Shikoku boy but we'll see!

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• mdokicmdokic
    @CrimsionO2, that's fine! It would be fun to get us all together there, even if it's just one! ♥ Mandi is in with Saki!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Post edited by mdokic at 2015-02-09 13:25:42
  • I can't wait to see pictures and hear about it! Kona and Kimber must be close to 10 Qs soon, too...?
  • mdokicmdokic
    @WrylyBrindle , after this weekend they'll be at 7 :) not 10 yet, but it's nice this place is so close!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I've procrastinated on this severely, and will try to get my applications done in time so my dogs can run... (-_-)...

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• mdokicmdokic
    @CrimsonO2, just in case, if by some reason you don't get it done on time you can still come do fun runs!! Probably best to show up in the morning at some point so you can get them signed in, but that's what Mandi's doing ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    yeah, I want to be able to do fun runs...
    Jesse Pelayo

• zandramezandrame
    @CrimsonO2, is that a plural I see?! ;)
    There's no paperwork for fun runs. Just need to show up there.

I'm so excited now! That reminds me, I should get a spare battery for the camera...
  • mdokicmdokic
    wooot!! NK takeover! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Well yeah...my baby girl loves a good chase and she's recently been liberated from her puppies!

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Is this a "rain or shine" event? There's a forecast of possible rain in the area this weekend :-/
    Jesse Pelayo

• zandramezandrame
    It is rain or shine. The forecast shows most likelihood for early AM and evening showers. Maps show Chino as a break in the clouds. (But we need all we can get!)

We are bringing the tent ;)
  • mdokicmdokic
    I hope it doesnt rain too much while we're there! :P
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I'll bring our tent...should be able to me, the dogs and extras if need be.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    OOh, got an e-mail back from the coordinators that it's on. Rain or Shine. And that I can paypal my payment in ahead of the registration so I can get in on the $20/run :P

Win....win.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• zandramezandrame
    @CrimsonO2, the $20 (or $35 for two) runs are for the pre-reg AKC CATs, not fun runs. Is that what you intended?
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I'm looking through the PDF and I don't see what the fun runs are priced at? I'm a bit behind on AKC registration so I figured fun runs were all I'm eligible for...I don't think I conveyed myself well to the coordinators regarding that aspect...

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• zandramezandrame
    @CrimsonO2, I think the SoCal Coursing fun runs are $2 (definitely no more than $5), no application required.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Yup, just got off the phone with Jennifer Gysler (pleasant lady). I'll be there by around 10:00 or so (thank jeebus I don't have to wake up early), do a few fun runs with my 2 (with the 3rd there for moral support possibly).

I'm excited!
    Jesse Pelayo

• mdokicmdokic
    Woooohoo!! @CrimsonO2, Saki will be there to do fun runs too! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    Pictures of our NK attendees from 2/28 in Chino -

Kona

Kouda

Kimber

Saki

Kurenai

Kurama

Group shot!

Bonus pics
  • aykayk
    Neat! Do dogs have to be over a year for the fun runs?
  • zandramezandrame
    @ayk, nope, fun runs have no limitations. No physical checks either so it's pretty much at your discretion. You can choose either the full 600 yards or a half course for seniors and small dogs.
  • mdokicmdokic
    Yay!! Awesome pics of all the NK @zandrame! :D @ayk bring the jindos! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Post edited by mdokic at 2015-03-08 19:17:11
  • zandramezandrame
    For those interested, the April SoCal Coursing premium is posted. Registration is for official entries, not fun runs. Fun runs just show up:)

Saturday 4/4
    Winning Edge Dog Sports Center
    Chino, California.
    http://socalcoursing.com/events/scihc-akc-all-breed-coursing-ability-tests-2-3/
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Highly recommend people to come and enjoy this. It's $2 for a fun run (and you can go as many times as you want in between the morning and afternoon runs!)! And in some ways, it's the better bang for the dollar. If you're doing an official run ($25? $35), if your dog stops to poo, the qualifying run is "over". If your dog gets distracted and stops giving chase to the lure, the qualifying run is "over". In a fun run, the course manager makes sure and tries to make your dog stay engaged. If your dog loses the lure, the course manager brings it closer and tries to move it back and forth to re-engage your dog to finish the run.

I'm looking forward to meeting the NKF crew out there again, may pack better with alcohol (and a soft crate this time)...not looking forward to the goat poop. :)

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

Post edited by CrimsonO2 at 2015-03-16 23:59:41
  • ceziegcezieg
    These events look like such a blast! I'll be getting Genko and Ren into the runs up north in Oregon/Washington, and my sister will be getting Mika into lure coursing as well. Maybe at some point we can find an "in the middle" event to trip to and spend a day or weekend :) Love the pictures!
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Bumping this up as a reminder to get paperwork in order (as I know I need to submit my AKC-FSS paperwork for my Shikoku).

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• zandramezandrame
    I checked out the AKC listings, and a few new ones popped up. Here are the CATs for March, April, and May:

March
    - Mayer, AZ (Mar 21/22)
    - Lewisburg, TN (Mar 21/22)
    - High Springs, FL (Mar 28/29)

April
    - Valley Center, KS (Apr 3/4)
    - Chino, CA (Apr 4)
    - Perry, GA (Apr 9/10/11/12)
    - Muncie, IN (Apr 10)
    - McKinney, TX (Apr 11/12)
    - Berryville, VA (Apr 12)
    - Asheville, NC (Apr 17/18)
    - Florence, TX (Apr 18)
    - Colts Neck, NJ (Apr 25/26)
    - Peyton, CO (Apr 25/26)
    - Hayes, VA (Apr 25/26)
    - Walla Walla, WA (Apr 26/27)
    - Eaton, OH (Apr 26)

May
    - Sallisaw, OK (May 2/3)
    - Cedar Falls, IA (May 2)
    - Danville, IN (May 6)
    - Union Bridge, MD (May 9)
    - Oak Creek, WI (May 9/10)
    - Roy, WA (May 9/10)
    - Hollister, CA (May 10)
    - Colts Neck, NJ (May 16/17)
    - Stevens Point, WI (May 16/17)
    - McKinney, TX (May 16/17)
    - Deland, FL (May 16/17)
    - Camarillo, CA (May 16/17)
    - Kalamazoo, MI (May 21/22/23/24/25)
    - Colts Neck, NJ (May 23/24)
    - Cathlamet, WA (May 23/24)
    - Fairbanks, AK (May 23)
    - Des Moines, IA (May 25)
    - Lima, OH (May 29)

@Kira_Inu!
  • mdokicmdokic
    aaaaah I have class on the April 4th one :((( maybe I ditch class that day? Or just wait for the one in june... these classes are all recorded and reading the powerpoints and papers are way more efficient than sitting through class...decisions decisions..
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Kira_InuKira_Inu
    YAY Virginia is on the list!!! Thank you @zandrame :)

imageimage

• zandramezandrame
    The Chino June (6 and 7th) CAT Premium is up! There are 4 events (2 each day, AM and PM)
    http://socalcoursing.com/events/scihc-akc-all-breed-coursing-ability-tests-2-4/
  • mdokicmdokic
    We'll definitely be there both days! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • aykayk
    I think I will bring the Jindo pups to the June 6 one for fun runs.
  • zandramezandrame
    @ayk, awesome! :)
  • aykayk
    I had loads of fun watching the dogs run today. Saw Shibas, Kais, and a lot of American Akitas giving it a go.

I'm really happy that all the Jindos turned on and chased with enthusiasm. HoSu ran for the CA legs, and JinHo, Achwi, and HoSoon ran the fun runs.

Thanks for introducing us to the sport, @zandrame! We're hooked.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    sorry I couldn't make it guys! Sounds like it was a blast. I got stuck repairing a shelf that gave way in our closet :(

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• mdokicmdokic
    Lame excuse @CrimsonO2, lame. ;)

It really was a lot of fun, fun to see all the Jindos too! Kona appreciated getting to say hi to all the boys ;) And Kouda remembers he's friends with the kai girls, they were so cute! He got all kissy kissy with their faces, which, kona wasn't too fond of, but kimby loved it! :P

Next time Jesse!!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    Took me a little bit, but I've got photos up! Videos are still in progress...

We had a really good forum turn out! It was a hot weekend, and Saturday had the largest number of entries ever (88!) so it was a long day, but it was nice chatting with everyone! Next time @CrimsonO2! ;)

@mdokic, yes! Kouda was on very good behavior with the girls. Kimby got lots of kisses and butt bumps from him, lol! I should have recorded them, haha. I hope they continue to get along. :D

@ayk, I was impressed with the Jindos, they were fun to watch. I don't know how to describe it, but they have a unique way of running with their heads held low and really lean into the turns. And it was funny how the boys were pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, until it was their turn to run, but the girls knew what was up right away. :)

New title holders!

HoSu, CA

Kona and Kimber, CAA

HoSu

JinHo
    this one is my fave -

Achwi

HoSoon

Kona

Kimber

Kouda

A few forum Shibas showed up too -

Sriracha

Kuma

Haku
    Post edited by zandrame at 2015-06-11 16:01:38
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    that first picture of Kimber is the bomb!

what fun! Good job, all you coursers!!!
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL @WrylyBrindle!!! Kimby cannot keep her tongue in her mouth to save her life! xP and the first picture of koners is so fierce haha

It was a great weekend, great job everyone!!

@zandrame, I have NO doubt him and kimby will, she LOVES everything about him! Kona did better once he calmed down a little hehe, we all love him ♥
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    @mdokic I love that shot of Kona, too. She is super intense! Congratulations to Kimby and Sis for her big ribbon and new title!
  • aykayk
    Love the photos! Really made my day that there were some of JinHo, Achwi, and HoSoon. I'll be printing out a couple for my wall. :-)

Good eye on the Jindos' leaning into the turns. I didn't noticed that until you mentioned it. I did notice that the adults were sometimes keeping their heads low for a mid-run snatch. I think it's the ground squirrel hunting influence there.

But the best photo has to be Kona with her ears down and her body fully stretched. :-)
  • PoetikDragonPoetikDragon
    So... we did that thing, too! Mostly on a whim, because there were day of show entries at UKC Premier today, and cause I'd heard all the buzz from NKF and some friends with AAs.

First, Godzuki... who wanted to chase, but when she heard the sound of the bags and pulleys, decided to head the other way. LOL! Oh well...
    "NOPE, nope, nope, nope...!"

But Mosura was awesome! She ran twice and qualified both times. We'll have to get her third at a later date, because tomorrow and Sunday are pre-entry only.
    And she's off!

Springy

Eye on the prize...

Mid-air course correction when the lure suddenly turned and she overshot.

She's flying in the tall grass

Akita butt! <3

Keep goin', you can get it...

Frothing at the end of the run, she started doing the same thing when we came back for the second run.

「怪獣荘秋田犬」Kaiju Kennels Japanese Akita and Hokkaido, Claire Matthews
    http://www.facebook.com/PoetikDragon
    http://www.facebook.com/KaijuKennels
    http://www.kaijukennels.com
  • zandramezandrame
    @PoetikDragon great pictures! I'm glad you were able to try it! First JAs I'm aware of!

I'm envious of that nice green grass! :D
  • PoetikDragonPoetikDragon
    @zandrame Really? I hadn't considered that...! :D
    「怪獣荘秋田犬」Kaiju Kennels Japanese Akita and Hokkaido, Claire Matthews
    http://www.facebook.com/PoetikDragon
    http://www.facebook.com/KaijuKennels
    http://www.kaijukennels.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion