Moving to San Diego

It's been a very long time since I've posted here, but my time in Japan is coming to an end and I will be moving to San Diego at the end of March. I'm looking for potential NK play buddies for Shogun (Kai) to meet. I have never been to California so we are pretty nervous about the move and having someone for Shogun to run around with after we settle in will make the experience much more satisfying.

Shogun turns 3 in April and still has a young puppy spirit and loves to run, so if not a playmate, then any suggestions on off leash parks would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Hey there!

I live in San Diego (north county, vista to be exact) and work down in point Loma by the navy base. I have two kai girls currently, and I know at least one of them would LOVE a kai buddy! The other could be nice, but she acts crumudgety sometimes lol

There are a few off-leash dog beaches (fiesta island, Coronado and del mar are the few I know), and depends where you're close to for more things...I ususally do trails with my girls :) where in San diego are you moving to?
  • You're moving to a great town. I also live in SD with my kishus, they might not be the ideal play mate but SD is a great town to live in. I'm in east county and theres a good amount of open space to hike and walk around.
  • I live in North Inland SD County with my counterfeit Kais.

I don't utilized dog parks, but I know of Mayflower Dog Park in Escondido area, Ranch Bernardo Dog Park in the Rancho Bernardo area, Doyle Community Dog Park in the UTC/La Jolla area, and Dusty Rhodes Dog Park in Ocean Beach. There's also one on the fringe of Balboa Park.
  • Hehehe @ayk, I like the couterfeit Kais :P Cutest counterfeit kais!
  • I'm in North County Inland too, with one Shiba. He is extremely picky about accepting new dogs, so he's not a good candidate for a playmate. But we like hikes too.
  • Awww guys I love the NKF community! Loops at the family solidarity. I kinda wished I lived in SD too
  • I'm very happy to see Shogun won't be the lone Kai in SD and that there are so many places for running/exploring. Everything I hear about this city is better and better!

mdokic- I don't have a house lined up just yet, but I'm in the Navy and will be stationed at 32nd street so it won't be more than 30 minutes from there. It will be a couple months, but that will be awesome if he can meet your girls. By the way, they are very beautiful. How old are they?

Ayk- thank you for the extensive list of dog parks! My wife likes to utilize the dog parks while I prefer to find a trail, so she was pleased to see that we will have options. He just really hates being on the leash.

• edited January 2015
    Thanks @ChrisMcGuire! Kona is a few months over 2 yrs old, and Kimber is right around a year and a half..Kona usually gets along with boys way better than girls, so she may even like meeting him and not be crumudgety, but Kimber will for sure love to play :)

San Diego is awesome! I see, well, i'll be working very close to where you are! Fiesta Island and Coronado will be a must for you guys and your Kai if you like off-leash stuff. Ive seen dogs over at Breakers Beach on the Base at Coronado too, so maybe you could even take him/her there :)

Also, I don't know how into beer or not you guys are, but I frequently go to breweries esp after hiking with my girls since almost all the breweries are dog friendly, and we have AMAZING craft brew in San Diego (someone said to me yesterday we have around 70 breweries now? probably including the new nanobreweries and experimental ones)..

There are trails galore, so good you like those.

And other fun things...@zandrame and I do some lure coursing too since a club holds fun runs in the area :) shogun may really like that too, lots of options!

I'll PM you with my info so we can stay in touch when you guys come out :)
  • Also, I don't know how into beer or not you guys are, but I frequently go to breweries esp after hiking with my girls since almost all the breweries are dog friendly, and we have AMAZING craft brew in San Diego (someone said to me yesterday we have around 70 breweries now? probably including the new nanobreweries and experimental ones)...
    70!!! I thought we were doing good with about 20 here in the NCR. Hmm... How is the mountain biking out there? :-D

(Sorry to hijack your thread @ChrisMcGuire )

• @sunyata, mountain biking (and anything outdoors really) is HUGE here because you can go anywhere within the area for almost any kind of environment/terrain you need. I used to be really into mountain biking, but since college my mom took my bike over..

Just come move here hehe! ;)

It's just nice to be able to almost always be able to walk out of your house and go do something outside. :)

Still, Virginia and Colorado are my two next favorite states so far that I could see myself living in!
  • yeah seriously Casey...move here already!
  • Ah, 74...I was close! :)
  • You guys find me a job... And I am there! :-D

(anything has to be better than the stupid cold currently gripping DC!)
  • Haven't posted in forever (bunch of life surprises got in the way of original plans!) but just wanted to chime in that SD is a great place for dog owners. Hiking in Julian, shopping and eating in restaurants with your dog, all the dog parks and beaches and groups, this city caters to the dogs almost more than to humans. Just the other rainy day I was having some tea inside Krakatoa Cafe in Golden Hill with my 7 month old dogo sleeping under my chair. This is why I never want to move back to LA! I recommend Santa Ysabel Preserve, Mt. Laguna, and Lake Cuyamaca for hiking (I see bike tracks there a lot too), Grape St. Dog Park, and Fiesta Island for a start.