The perfect breed for me?

Hello
I am Going to buy a new dog ( first dog that will be really mine ) And fell in love with 4 of the Japanese breeds and would like to know which one i should pick ( My favorite is the shikoku )

This will be my First dog although my grand parents, my cousins, and my dad ( I do not live with him ) have allways had dogs so I'm used to them ! I've been reading all bout training dogs using positive and non repetitive methods. I am going to buy books to learn and will have the help of my cousin that is French Bulldog breeder. I also think that i am enough of a natural leader to have a dog that could be a challenge.

I am contacting you to have your opinion on what would be the perfect breed for me. I live in Lisbon, Portugal in a big apartment and would have 1 hour per day for exercise and training plus time for 2 to 3 (15-20 min ) walks. during the week end i would have 1 to 3 full days to spend with the dog. I'm looking for a "friend" for a life time, not a dog to feed and keep locked in my room. The dog would have to spend 4 to 7 hours per day alone maximum and i can find people to check on him everyday when I'm not at home. I like to do long walks on the mountains, like to go travel to places with snow ( would take the dog ) and like to skate board and etc.

SO . . A dog that is smart and somewhat independent but that still loves to play and is kind of a clown some times ( like me ) . A dog that likes to pull if possible ( I skate board ). A dog that likes to learn new tricks.

I have a big apartment in Lisbon ( Portugal ) and i will always have someone to walk and feed him if i go away somewhere for a week or so and the dog cannot come with me ( my aunt or cousin , that are persons my dog will see at least 2 to 3 times a week ! )

grooming / shedding is not really a problem as i have the week end to spend with the dog ( only other thing i have to do is study , and i don't study much ! )

The dog HAS to be social ( with humans and other dogs ) or at least accept them as i will bring him when I go to a bar or a cafe's terrace to have a drink with friends. And if i go to a club or so , I suppose that any breed after 3 hours walking and training wont really have a problem with staying alone a few hours specially if i bring the dog to my aunt's house.

The breeds i like are .. well basically any medium / large spitz breed but my favorites are Shikoku / Husky / Shiba / Kishu / Hokkaido /Malamute / and Czechoslovakian Wolfdog ( the one i prefer but i cannot take because it attacks other dogs of the same sex / needs company 24/7 or it destroys the house after 30 minutes alone and i do not have the money and time to take care of more than one animal . If i did i could buy a wolfdog and a cat and then they can even be the whole day alone and the dog is Okay !)

Thank you for your time !
Kind regards
Gabriel Correia

Comments

• If dog-socialness is a must, then from that list I'd go with the husky- the NK tend to be very iffy with random dogs in the world when they are adults, rough players with definite opinions about personal space and shikoku are notoriously button-pushers with other dogs. It can be done with the right individual and a commitment to management and training and exposure, but it is definitely a risk % even if you do everything right. Your first dog (as the adult solely responsible) should be enjoyable and a high % of being able to do what you hope to be able to do without turning yourself and the dog into pretzels over it. Huskies also like to pull and run so are likely to naturally take to skateboarding/scootering with you. Other opinions will be along soon- I think very highly of the thought and research you are putting into your dog before you get him/her! :)
  • dog socialness is not a MUST , i just don't want my dog to start atacking random dogs haha ! and to be ok with the dogs he will know since puppy ( dogs from other people in my familly )

what is a must is the bond the dog would have with me and the fact it likes to go on long walks ( mountain / countryside / snow ) And that he is ok with staying 4-7 hours alone per day , not in a row ( if 7 hours he will see me in after around 3h30 and then i'd be gone for more 3h30 )

Thank you so much for you answer :)
  • I would love if someone who knows about shikoku and someone who knows about kishu helps me as those 2 are my favorite :) ! thank you
  • I personally would say no to a shikoku.... Although they do not "ATTACK " other dogs they are not what I would call social at all. Social to me is a dog that can greet dogs , walk up to them, play with dogs and be trusted off leash around other dogs WITHOUT me gripping the leash extra firm ready to jerk them back. I have met a few shikoku and NONE of them are what I would consider dog social. This is based on my criteria of completely trusting them to interract with other dogs. I would probably say huskies like wryly above. You seem like your young and social, and lots of us shikoku owners know the woes of traveling with "not so social shikoku".
  • but the social part taken away would it be a good breed for me ? :)
  • I would agree that a husky sounds like the best fit for what you are looking for.
  • I have to agree with everyone that a husky seems to best for your needs. I have a friendly Shiba but I can still only take her on outings when she's in a good mood. There's never any planning to take her on an outing the next day, because her mood may have completely flipped and she'll be grumpy and snappy all day. I've even put her in the car to go somewhere, gotten there, and had to turn around and go home because her mood changed. From what i understand, the Shikoku, hokkaido, and Kishu are very similar.

Huskies, on the other hand, have a bit more of a will to please their owners and are pretty social. Plus, they love to be active! :)

I wouldn't choose a malamute for 2 personal reasons.
    1) the ones I've met aren't the most social creatures. They're nice dogs, but the ones I've met (only 3) tend to be more observers than participants. Meaning, they like to look at the crowd, but don't want to be part of it. That, again, is my personal observation of very few malamutes.
    2) having a family pet is different from having one on your own. When I moved out and got my first Chihuahua, it was a lot to handle. I had no help training, feeding, letting out to potty, etc. It was also a lot for me to deal with financially. Malamutes eat a lot, and vet care can be expensive because they weigh a good bit and require higher doses of medications which, of course translates to higher costs for said medications.
    Again, those are personal preferences... You can do what you want with the info. :)

Don't "take away" anything that you are looking for in a dog just because you like a breed. I'm not trying to get on your case, but that's really important. For instance, I have a weird love of yorkies, but I hate brushing my dogs every day (I don't even brush my own hair every day, lol). If I went ahead and got a yorkie, we'd both wind up miserable because I would resent brushing the dog and the dog would wind up with mats in its fur because I wouldn't do a good job. This is why I have short haired dogs. :) Long story short, get what fits you best... Sometimes what makes you the happiest isn't what you originally wanted.

• edited January 2015
    For your needs, from your list, I suggest a siberian husky. I only say that though because I believe that there are certain breeds that require a -lot- of attention... especially in the first year (training, etc)... and I think the shikoku is one of them. Not saying the husky isn't either, but I feel it'd be a better fit over all. A husky ticks most things off your list. Also a husky is bred to pull. So there's that ;)

But to be severely frank, the dogs you listed aren't for the beginner dog owner. And often times are not recommended for apartments. Some can be very strong willed. You have done your research, which is great! And I don't doubt you would be very happy with your chosen dog and your dog with you. I only stress that the dogs you listed are not generally considered first-time-owner-friendly. :)

Your list of dogs you really like is a great list and similar to my own! I love those wolfdogs too. If your heart is set on one of the above, then all the power to you! Again, I believe the husky would be better suited for your lifestyle and what you want from it. Just wanted to add, though... and not sure if you'd share the interest -- but have you looked in to the swedish vallhund? They are also pretty awesome, and I think tick plenty of your boxes, too! :)

• Coming from someone who has both huskies and a shikoku, I say go with the husky. Both are great breeds, but a husky has a greater margin of error when it comes to raising them and would better suite your needs. Plus, huskies are more available so it will be easier to find one from a good breeder, a shorter wait, and more opportunities to find that one pup that you'll fall in love with at first sight.

Shikoku (and Nihon Ken in general) are pretty standoff dogs. They can be very picky on what people and dogs they will allow near them, and even with proper socialization they may still be uncomfortable around people they don't know. My girl gets along fine with dogs and people she has had positive experiences with, but generally doesn't like people she doesn't know. She's also a busy body, even if she was comfortable with strange dogs and people passing I just can't see her calmly sitting at a cafe. She would most likely inspect every little thing she finds, demand attention, and fidget around due to quickly getting bored.

Something to also consider is that since the Shikoku breed is still fairly new outside of Japan, there is still a higher chance of getting a pup with health issues. Many breeders are working to improve the overall breed health, but this takes time and work. When I brought home my shikoku girl, my hope was to do some dryland mushing with her but she wound up having bad hips so it's not advisable to work her in that manner. She still makes for a good hiking buddy, so long as we take frequent rests (which she hates btw) and don't over exert her, and I do hoe to take her canoeing so it's not like she doesn't get to do anything. Still, the risk of getting a pup with this issue is greater with a shikoku than with a husky.

One thing about huskies though, they tend to do better with another dog than as an only dog. Living with, or giving access to, another dog can sometimes be more tiring and satisfying to them than long walks and lots of exercise.

Needless to say, none of those breeds are technically good apartment dogs, and they all can get quite destructive when bored, but all in all it really depends on your activity level and how much daily stimulation (both physically and mentally) the dog will get. The husky would be the most suited dog on your list, so long as they receive a decent amount of exercise and attention. They really are a great breed and worth seriously looking into, meet a few that live locally to you and you may be surprised at how quickly you fall in love with them. Actually, try to meet all of the dogs on your list, it's a great way to really get a feel of each of the breeds and better learn which ones are suitable for you.
  • WOW so much answers and info ! :) thank you thank you thank you ! :) yep you're all right ! talked to a pro trainer yesterday he said : pit bull german shepperd and husky for me ! so i chose husky :D and i know they can be a challenge but having 2 breeders and two professional trainers with me and being pretty dominant my self i think it will be ok ( plus when i want to learn something i read all the books there is about it :P )

Thank you all again :)
  • Next up: getting to know the husky breeders and meet their dogs! That will be fun and I'm sure you will learn a LOT as you go about them. I hope you'll let us know how your quest goes!

As you are learning, try to let go of the "dominant" thing- you are a teacher, a guide, and a friend, you make fun things happen for the dog- don't ruin it with thinking the only way is to "dominate" the dog and be a tyrant. If you have the good stuff and make fun things happen, the dog will trust you and be eager to do stuff *with* you- and you'll build a great relationship with the eager, best friend you want your dog to be! :)
  • ... and being pretty dominant my self i think it will be ok ( plus when i want to learn something i read all the books there is about it :P )
    As Wryly has said, try to forget about "dominant" thinking, this mindset will make for a very difficult relationship with your dog. If you ask any dominance based trainer they will most often perpetuate the husky's reputation of being difficult to train,and if you think about it the same is said about any independent breed. In truth, huskies are really easy to train if you use the right type of training, which is positive reinforcement. Just like any of the other independent breeds, they need to know that what you ask of them is worth it to them, verbal praise and a pat on the head is not going to be good enough. Sometimes it helps to think of them as cats, if you don't think a method will get a cat to do what you want then it's not going to work that well with an independent dog breed.

Siberian Huskies are a great breed, sure they can have a lot of energy and require a bit of work, but the end result is amazing. Just be careful, this breed is addictive and you can't have just one.
  • Not sure if any of these books are available in your country, but check out this list of helpful training books: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/3851/more-books-on-behavior-training-and-care#Item_31
  • oh ! when I said dominant it was not about being dominant over the dog to train him but to be dominant enough that the dog does not try and take over control :P some people told me hukies can do that some time and you need to know how to step up with out being aggressive if that happens ( in beginning of course ! ) i know that when the dog is used to me and me used to him that wont happen :)

Of course I will come and let you guys know ! only getting the dog in September tho :(

Thank you for all the help ! and thank you for the books , will check them out ! :)
  • oh ! when I said dominant it was not about being dominant over the dog to train him but to be dominant enough that the dog does not try and take over control :P some people told me hukies can do that some time and you need to know how to step up with out being aggressive if that happens ( in beginning of course ! ) i know that when the dog is used to me and me used to him that wont happen :)

Of course I will come and let you guys know ! only getting the dog in September tho :(

Thank you for all the help ! and thank you for the books , will check them out ! :)
    Preventing the dog from "taking over" comes a lot more down to consistency than to any form of dominance--most dogs really aren't trying to take over. Dogs are opportunists when it comes to things like food, and they are intelligent. Huskies are more independent than most, and most of the ones I've met are very smart. They are also easily bored and need sufficient exercise (both mental and physical), and the combination of the two (especially with their intelligence) means that they can be destructive if left to their own devices.

Be consistent with rules and be confident, yes, because your dog needs to understand what you want (not playing a constant guessing game) and your dog's attitude and reactions to the surrounding world are in part based on you. Don't be overbearing, though, and remember that dogs aren't trying to conquer the world. Huskies are independent and may think and act for themselves, but limited as my experience may be, I've never met a husky that was really trying to take over. I've met quite a few that were out for themselves, though, and would evaluate what was in it for them as to whether they should follow a command. This isn't a matter of showing the dog who's boss--it's a matter of teaching the dog that good things happen when it cooperates with you, that you are a source of good things and guidance in life.

@WrylyBrindle put it wonderfully when she said that you are a teacher, guide, and friend for your dog.