What are dogs to you?

edited December 2014 in General
It is said that without dogs mankind would have developed civilization at a much slower rate.
They seem to be the oldest and most domesticated animals to work with humans, developing all sorts of ways to interact with humans uniquely.
From all the research, history and personal experience, opinion, knowledge e.t.c,
How do you see dogs? As tools, pets, extensions of oneself, a reflection of oneself, the missing piece that supplements what humans lost in order to leave the wilderness and create civilization or status symbols?
how are dogs seen by the average person, what is their function today, and what might their future function be?

Comments

• Interesting outlook... I'll play along!

I consider Kira as my companion, my friend, and my own personal cheerleader (so happy when I come home). I think the fanciful part of me would like to consider her as an extension of myself, but the rational part of me thinks that can't possibly be logical.

Kira is almost like a partner to me, she goes with me everywhere and with little to no argument (for the most part). My fiance is quite antisocial so Kira is my loyal companion when it comes to social events, outings, camping trips, hiking, etc. I would be awfully lonely without her.
  • My dogs are my best friends. I don't live near any family, I am a housewife, and my husband's works a crazy shift schedule. My dogs are the ones I talk to, interact with, and take care of on a daily basis. They're my pride and joy.
  • My own dogs are friends at play and at rest, partners in tracking, exploring and hunting, and inspiration for learning, asking questions. There's a ton that I think "makes me, me" that would be harder for me to access without them. I wouldn't hunt just by myself- it's enjoyable with the dogs. I would still hike, but I wouldn't notice as much, and I might not go as far- beginning with Reilly 12 years ago, I felt much safer being a woman alone in the woods wandering with a big brindle dog. I've seen tracks, bones, northern lights that I wouldn't have been outside to see if I hadn't been out with my dog. I've made friends I'd not have made without the dogs. With the dogs, I benefit from their more acute senses and judgement in the woods, more is available to me because they pick up on it, indicate it and want to share it with me. I study because of the dogs, and the stuff we find together. I decide to draw animals and monsters because of the dogs, and the feelings they and I have.

I sometimes feel that living and roaming with my dogs reaches back to following the same tracks of people long ago, walking with their dogs. For whatever reason, this occurs to me most often while snowshoeing in deep snow, Matsu enthusiastically breaking trail in front of me, old Reilly in our tracks behind- I think of migrations and partnership between our species (and others). There is great satisfaction in The Walk Together. Like us, dogs are adaptable, omnivorous, multi climate, and I'd say living in concert with domestic animals keeps us humble and attached to physical earthly things- the weather, the land, in caring for them we are daily aware of their needs and condition...it's too easy to sit in various boxes (cars, rooms, buildings) plug in and forget that we haven't seen the sky or never even thought about what the river is doing today, different than a week ago- but with the dogs along, every day I check the river and know it better, I know where the rabbits live, where the porcupine dens are, whether the moose are coming down yet or not, I know if Reilly is getting thinner again, if Matsu is pulling on my hands again and needs to tune up habits I've allowed to slip, or that Sage hasn't had a meltdown in 10 days now.

it's the Zen of Kai Ken ;) bringing awareness, and flowing along with that.
  • wow, beautifully said @WrylyBrindle

I don't hunt with my dogs, but i definitely find them sort of an extension/reflection. Their companionship is second to none. The way they look at the world is so 'fresh' and inviting, they help you appreciate the beauty around you. They definitely bring a confidence if I'm alone walking them in the woods, they are so aware and alert that I'm noticing more critters than I would without them. I'm sure they reflect my personality somehow, they are calm when I am calm and excited when I feel energetic, etc. I couldn't imagine life without them.
  • A dog is a dog, they are not my kids, or sibling, or relative, but they sure can feel like it at times. They are a companion that another human cannot imitate, for they are dogs. Their simple impression of the world and acute senses allow us access to wisdom and a world we may not ever even know if it wasn't for them. As humans we stand as their guide to live in the same world as we do, and it is our responsibility to learn about them, and learn from them as we teach them. Dogs meanwhile are forever a companion, who want nothing more than for you to love them, and will do anything in order to spend time with you.

When you train them, it can be a bit frustrating at first, but eventually you learn to appreciate the way some learn, for their are days they can prove they are smarter than you originally thought. Every dog is different, a sensitive dog will push you to learn patience and being calm when training, how to be gentle and understanding. A hard dog will teach you when corrections need to be done, setting limits, and when you need to be a leader and to be confident in your decisions as one for the better of their lives. Your job is to keep them safe, and then need to know you will be the one to protect them when they need help.

Some dogs can be sassy, and will irritate you to death with their quirkiness, but you find some charm in it, you probably wouldn't have found that new walking path if it wasn't for quirky dog pulling and barking your ear off to go this way. Some dogs are fearless and courageous, and maybe i wouldn't have been alive today if it wasn't for my muscular dog pulling the bike a bit out of the way of the car. Some are class clowns, always giving you a laugh, some are protectors, always watching never straying.

While a companion, a dog can be used as a tool, which is always an extension of yourself, it is your job to learn about this tool and use them effectively. Take advantage of their abilities to mold them into something both they and you can be proud of. A hunting dog eager to take its prey, an agility dog bolting and leaping with grace, a dock diving dog putting all the effort it can to catch its favorite toy. And at the end of the day while they are happy and had fun, they are most of all excited to see how happy their human is as well like they done their job right.

However whatever the future holds depends on humanity. Already we see many working dogs ending up in shelters because they cannot achieve their purpose, not enough people that want to, or can mold them into a great dog. Breeds going extinct because they aren't companions that are just satisfied with a yard and laying at home. Breeds becoming shells of what they used to be because noone wants to put out the effort, or because they are too squeamish to get into it. As we lose more land that we could explore and people request different dogs, what the dog's purpose is will change, but what will never change is what a dog is, a companion.

Kumatora and Pyrrha say "what do you mean were not your kids?" As they proceed to have their usual 'sibling' rivarly spat over petting.
  • Azami, akita, is my other half and my protector while I protect her from other things. For the first 2 years of her life we were never apart. We hiked, swam, hunted together and when the weather wasn't too hot she rode with me in the truck to do errands. Go in pet stores (she still hates pet stores though so we stopped taking her). I realized she is getting somewhat old and I was getting more in to huskies but I just can't live without an akita so we are on a search for a male.

Haruko, shiba, is not really part of my pack. I don't neglect her. We still hike, do obedience, have done a variety of dog sports but she and I just don't match well. I would rather leave her to find attention and training from my husband instead.

Nijiro, husky, is becoming part of Azami and my pack. She is closer to us than Haru. She is kind of like Azami's annoying little bouncy sister trying to join in with everything. We just tolerate her puppy behavior while teaching her pack manners such as no resource guarding food. Nijiro is finishing puppy class so she can start agility next. Azami has lost energy for such stuff. Niji is not a protector or a hunter though. She is just a happy go lucky dog so I don't think I will form the same bond with her. She is more of a play friend.