Kaja the Shikoku Ken!
  • KajaKaja
    Hi guys! For those of you interested, here's a thread dedicated entirely to my little girl, Kaja! I'll share photos of her as she grows, as well as experiences. I'll be responsible with the photos and not add too many, just enough to keep tabs on her. ;)

This forum as well as the Nihonken blog were SO useful as I was researching the breed. And now I get to contribute, too! :)

So to start things off! Kaja came to me from Katja's Akashima. Her dad is Ch. Akashima’s Kochi Ken Shigeru (Shiggy)... and her mum is Ch. Chiharu Go Nidai Iwahorisou (Hana). She flew in all by herself and she was SO timid when she first arrived! But as soon as she settled down from the motion sickness and got some food in her, her personality started to come out. She's such a loving and lovable fluff of fur. She's about 10 weeks old, now! Something I've noticed: when I talk to her and her head cocks to the side, like she's trying really hard to figure out what I'm saying. So cute.

I took these photos after our first 'serious' training session today (first time with the clicker). I was REALLY impressed by her retention of 'sit' and 'come'! Kaja hesitates every time she has to walk by the fridge... it's like she thinks it's booby trapped or something, haha. It's pretty adorable. Anyway, without further ado... 10 week old Kaja photos! :)

Post edited by Kaja at 2014-12-20 09:05:36
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    Great pictures! Is Kaja fine with the Christmas tree? I haven't had one the last few years with dogs in the house.
  • She is so so cute! Great pictures of her :)
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    She's adorable!!
    Lauren
  • KajaKaja
    GrayJJ: haha no... I wouldn't trust her around it. At the moment she is only allowed on that floor of the house (with the tree) during training. Our corgi mix is fine with it but Kaja is way too curious right now.
  • shes gorgeous!! @kaja
    Allison & Mayumi

JSXM9188
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    If you looked in the dictionary for the definition of "adorable" I'm pretty sure Kaja's picture would be in there. ;)

I totally understand not trusting a puppy around a Christmas tree. Thankfully I lucked out with Meitou and he's always been pretty good around the tree.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • KajaKaja
    Round 2! Kaja is now about 12 weeks old. She'll be getting her second set of shots in a few more days. She's incredibly smart, and she catches on to commands very fast. In fact, she has officially learned more tricks than her older sister (corgi-mix). Alas, she still gets car sick. A five minute drive won't make her puke but it will make her drool up a storm. In time I'm sure it'll go away. She has fit in quite well to the house and gets along really well with her older sister (who is 5 years old). They chase each other like race cars around and around. Since her sister is a corgi-mix (and therefore has rocket boosters)... she hasn't managed to catch her. Yet. As for other dog socialization, not TOO much yet since she only has her first set of shots... but she has met two other dogs during Christmas. She always wants to play and be active with them... but got a big telling off from my aunt's black lab the other day. Put her in her place, so to speak -- and she was quiet the rest of the day, hahahaha. Oh! Speaking of quiet... we're still working on her not wailing when I leave her alone. Work in progress. The NOISES she can make! Like a hyena! Haha

Also, you get a photo of the adorable spot on her tail.

I don't know if it'll be there when she is older, but you might notice she has this three split 'fork' of dark fur on her forehead and it makes her look like she's furling her brow, hahaha. It's a cool little mark xD

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-01-01 09:49:04
  • CrispyCrispy
    Happy New Year to Kaja! She's looking very cute! :p

Sorry to hear about her car-sickness. :( That seems pretty common in the breed, but I lucked out with my boy.

All of my Nihon Ken and my Malamute have that spot, too. It marks their precaudal gland. It isn't as obvious on my white Kishu Ken, but I have a sesame Kishu Ken, a black sesame/sesame Shikoku Ken, and a grey Malamute that all have the spot marked obviously by their coat color. On the white dog, it's a difference in texture more than color of the coat.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • KajaKaja
    Ooh is that what it is! Good to know, @Crispy !! Our other family dogs don't have a mark there (just some courser hair, if anything).... I'm glad Kaja's is a different colour. Gives her tail some personality :D

Now whenever I meet a new dog I'm going to find myself curiously drawn to their tail....
  • CrispyCrispy
    Here's my Shikoku's!

My sesame Kishu has more black hair in general on her tail, so it's not as obvious as TK (Shikoku)
  • KajaKaja
    Ohh, I see it though! Pretty dogs too xD
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    My Shiba has that marker on his tail...I think my male Shikoku does too....never bothered to really look at my kurogoma Shikoku female...it's faint but it's there.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• KajaKaja
    I had wondered what the area was... I'd seen it on other dogs too! Now the mystery is solved! Though I gota admit, I like the very obvious dark on light :D
  • Kira_InuKira_Inu
    I absolutely love that spot on Kaja's tail! It makes for a great identifying mark too. Great pictures, she is turning out beautifully.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Kira the Cream Shiba

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • KajaKaja
    And she loves the snow :3

I'm excited for seeing how her coat changes as she gets older! It's like every day I look at her she changes, haha.
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-01-09 07:44:03
  • KajaKaja
    Almost four months old, so here's an update on Kaja!! This is her and her older sister, my corgi/chihuahua. As you can see, they like to wrestle! Haha. We also run in to other dogs when we go to this field (you can see someone's Brittany Spaniel below). She just got her final shots yesterday, so pretty soon she'll have her first adventure at the dog park.

^She gets called a wolf, a tiger and a fox. rofl. Got built in eye liner, this one.
    ^Her older sister is 5 years old but they still like to rough house.
    ^This is what her crazy face looks like. In this instance it was because she just landed after trying to grab my mitten, but it's also the face she makes when she's happy and meeting someone hahahaha.
    ^Just their usual antics. Colors look pretty though!
    ^Observing the mitten before deciding to jump for it.
    ^I don't know what Kaja is doing with her leg. But these three had a good time playing in the snow.

She begins her puppy/social classes in a week or so (they're FREE so I expect to see a lot of puppies), and after that gets her intro at the day care/hotel. It's a great concept for a kennel : no locked cells, just open areas and constant supervision. They even sleep together with all the other dogs! Both should be pretty good for improving her socialization... though as of yet I have no complaints on that, either. :)
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-04-07 03:38:54
  • ceziegcezieg
    She's such a pretty Shikoku! It looks like you live in the perfect place for her as well :) The NK breeds sure love their snow. Kaja outgrew her "big sis" pretty quickly too haha
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
    Post edited by cezieg at 2015-02-01 22:40:02
  • KajaKaja
    Thanks!! Haha @cezieg yes... she DOES love the snow! Take her outside to go bathroom and it's playtime every step she takes. Or that I take. Anything that makes snow move. Oh, and footprints become fox holes. Yup.

She also found a squirrel's stash hidden in the lawn beneath snow... I was wondering where she managed to get seeds and corn from. rofl

I just hope her older sister thinks she's fun to play with when Kaja gets even bigger xD
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Awwwwww! Kaja looks perfect in the snow. :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

• Pretty girl and very nice pictures!
  • KajaKaja
    Thanks! Haha it is pretty fun to whip out the macro lens and get photos of them in the snow.
  • KajaKaja

Took Kaja and her 'big sis' to the field nearby, and we ran in to a Australian Shepherd pup. Found her in a very compromising position! ;)

Also she's been going to puppy classes/socialization classes for a while now. She does well, but sometimes we are asked to get our puppies 'excited' and I wonder... do any other shikoku owners find it hard to get their dogs excited? She'd rather look at me very stoic-like, and give kisses, than jump around with me. Well, unless I have an awesome toy in hand. rofl

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-02-20 19:31:36
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pics such cute pup.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    If our instructor asked us to get katsu excited, she would regret it. He tends to run all over the apartment in a frenzy like state and becomes an unstoppable force. It's one of my most favorite experiences i have with katsu. Try jumping up and down with a toy that makes noises and say her name.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Just saw these shots now. Great camera work. She is so cute!
    To err is human, to arrr is to pirate.
  • KajaKaja
    @jigzzor Yeah! I love it when Kaja runs around the house like a cat on fire. We can get our older dog to do it just by stomping our feet a little. I want to condition Kaja to feel the same way -- fun doesn't just have to be with toys! You know?! I'll try that :P

@TheYeti Thanks! She's so tiny compared to your Rollo though, hahaha. It's interesting to see the photos. And I think they're close to the same age too? xD

Kaja is shedding a ton right now. I think that a recent chinook here tricked her body in to thinking winter was over.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    I did that with Rollo in the woods yesterday. I did a 'sumo stomp' then chased him around and tackled him.

Rollo is a big boy, but good things come in all sizes. Kaja is as cute as a button!
  • KajaKaja

Kaja has graduated from puppy class, though I don't know if I will enroll her in further dog classes. I feel the things they taught were things we already knew ... and she sees other dogs quite often anyway. I dunno, we will see! xD

Welp she gets to wear the silly looking cone soon! Spaying is scheduled for next month. Also was flipping through some photos and omGOSH it's hard to believe how much she sprouted. Can't believe she used to be that little fluffball. Also as you can see she greyed out a bit after blowing some of her coat. She gets coyote comments as often as fox comments now, rofl.
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-03-16 20:59:29
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    Ooo puppy classes are great, especially for shikoku. I'm realized that the 4 different classes katsu has taken has helped him in socialization and focus. It really depends on the dog I guess but it could ultimately be the difference between having the best sit/down stays. which ultimately translates to the best experience you can have with your pup when she's an adult.
  • KajaKaja
    ^this is totally true. I think a Shikoku is a breed that really has to be trained -well- for the best happiness of you and your dog. And it's the entire reason I enrolled her for puppy class (none of my dogs have ever had that pleasure before, haha). She gets trained by me all the time anyway (everything is a training exercise).... but more classes might provide that extra push. We'll have to see how well she does sans class for a week or two! But I have a feeling I'll enroll her in another one ;P
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-03-18 07:27:58
  • KajaKaja
    Found a couple pictures, so puppy spam commences once again.! :P

A little old, but this was when she graduated puppy class! That's a graduation cap on her head though it's hard to tell.

image Even more old -- when she still had puppy fluff! Playing with her sister.

And these last ones are the most recent! She had a good time at her kennel this weekend. They did Easter egg hunts and fun little photoshoots, lol. Kaja says "I'm only doing this because you promised treats."

She gets brought to the vet tomorrow to be spayed, and will get her hips checked too (just as a precaution). So I'll add another picture once she has the cone of shame on, maybe. Poor girl xD
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-04-07 02:51:42
  • LiaMarieLiaMarie
    Good luck with the spaying! Hope all goes well. She is such a pretty girl. Can't wait for more pictures!
  • emi802emi802
    Dawwwww! Kaja is too cute!! Hehe. I love that the graduation hat is just slightly too big for her so her ear is tilted. That happened for Katsu too haha. She looks so happy with the other dogs! How's the training coming along for her? :)
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I'm loving that graduation photo of Kaja, too.
    She is growing up so pretty!
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• KajaKaja
    She is growing up so fast! Haha and yeah her most happy time is when she's with other dogs. My brother just got a puppy and he's her new favorite toy. xD

Training is coming along well! Though I don't have the heart to do too much training with her for the next little while. I'll shower her with treats for the simplest things, she looks so silly in that cone xD

One BAD thing about the cone is that she's already a reallllly picky eater. The cone just makes it more difficult. I'm thinking I might cook up some special treats for her cone-days (something like satin balls) that will help supplement her meals. She already lost some weight this past week from stress and over activity. Brought it up with the vet and they think (in small amounts) it might be a wise idea. :<
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-04-08 20:10:52
  • Wow your shots of Kaja in action look amazing! I really like the ones of her playing in the snow!! Good thing I decided to switch over from the Kai Ken section for a bit otherwise I'd miss some eye candy... *comes to his senses* Oh nooos what have I done!! I'm betraying my team!!!! *ashamed* :O lol
  • KajaKaja
    For shame!!!!!!! Haha. Thanks! Winter is nice and photogenic. I'm looking forward to when she has her first summer and lake days too :D

So apparently Kaja bled a lot during the surgery, so I see little patches of blood on occasion where she lays down (not from the incision site, no worries). The vet says it might happen for the next 10 days or so! Aside from some brown urine and soft stools, she is eating and drinking and her gums are fine, so it looks like the spaying thus far has been very uneventful. Thank goodness! Our other dog had an even easier spay, since she didn't spot at all, so I was slightly worried until I talked to the vet, haha. :)

She really digs those neck scratches.
  • It's good to hear that everything's going to be fine with Kaja! How long must she wear *hushed whisper* The cone of shame..... :-S
  • KajaKaja
    About a week of shame, haha
  • ah that's not so bad then! Looking forward to seeing more of her adventures once she's all healed up!
  • KajaKaja
    Been a while, so here's some Kaja! She loves to play, is a really friendly girl, and is getting better at 'sticking' to me when I have her off lead! Also, she tried the river recently! Loves wading in, but not so sure about swimming yet. Went absolutely nuts going up and down the river bank, though.

People always get a kick out of her at the parks. If another dog has a toy she wants, she will plop herself down in front of them, crawl on her belly, and talk at them to try and give it up. She's not very persuasive, but sometimes it works! She also loves playing fetch, too. I'm glad, because it was one thing I really wanted to do with her. Sometimes, I look over and see a bunch of balls beside me, because she brought them over while I wasn't looking. She is such a great dog.

On to the photos! :)

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-06-06 03:41:48
  • CrispyCrispy
    The face in her first picture!! Priceless.
  • emi802emi802
    She's gotten so pretty! Looks like she loves that Frisbee :)
  • KajaKaja
    @emi802 She did! And it wasn't her frisbee! It was the other dog's! But they had a great time playing tug of war with it :)

• KajaKaja
    I noticed that Akashima kennels has updated their dog list! Kaja's sister (Sakura) and brother (Kiba) are up there. It's hard to tell from one photo, but I think her and her sister look kind of alike -- http://www.akashima.bc.ca/shikoku-dogs.htm -- and I see there are puppy pictures updated at the bottom as well! :)

In a litter of four, Katja kept two... a girl and a boy. It's neat seeing how litter mates end up looking as they get older!

• jigzzorjigzzor
    Katsu demands more pictures of kaja!
  • MBeatsMBeats
    Tochi is having puppies in 2 1/2 weeks, as well.
  • KajaKaja
    Hehe alright @jigzzor ... here's some more Kaja!

She's a year old now!

And for anyone browsing the forum who is interested in seeing how big Shikoku are compared to other dogs, these are some good comparisons of Kaja's size, I think, too. Though I don't know if Kaja is the norm for size or if she's considered small.

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-10-28 01:27:08
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    OOOOOOO SO CUTE. I think females tend to be about that size. Also keep in mind shikoku fill out around the middle of their first year. Katsu is 1 year and 3 months but he's still getting bigger. At this point i'm pretty sure he's stopping in actual height but the vet says he has more muscle to grow into.

ALSO MORE PICTURES.... or instagram your dog lol! How is she with other dogs? Does she have resource aggression with toys? Katsu is rough when he plays with toys and does that same stare that kaja was doing
  • KajaKaja
    Good to know! Yeah she definitely has some filling out to do! I guess the next year or so (for her and Katsu!) will be the 'thickening' year? Hehe.

She doesn't reaaaaaaally have resource guarding. She shares food/water with our other dogs no problemo. The worst she does is if a dog has a toy she wants (hers or not), she will lay down in front of them and talk/bark/make noises in hopes they will play or relinquish it. She will happily share a bully stick or a toy and chew it on one end while the other dog chews another end, though, haha.

It's funny when my brother's pit/catahoula cross (big thick muscled dog) finds his little nylabone from when he was younger. It's only a hand or so in length, but him and Kaja will both lay down and chew it at the same time (in between wrestles, that is).

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-10-15 03:23:28
  • JaanaSJaanaS
    Not. Funny. Looking at these pictures I want shikoku again! ;)
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I love that picture of Kaja hanging over the seats in the car. Cute!
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• emi802emi802
    Sheeeee's sooooooooo prettttyyyyyyyyyy <3
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Those pictures are so cute. She is such a nice looking Shikoku!
  • She is adorable! How much does Kaja weigh now?
    www.airreyalis.com | Shikoku Ken image

Shoushuu | Kotomi | Shuran | Ayla | Kukku | Maika | Asra

Other Members of The Airreyalis Pack - Lynxiene (Belgian Malinois) | Keno & Missy (Alaskan Klee Kai)
  • KajaKaja
    @shikokuspirit She weighs 28 pounds... which I think puts her as a real light weight? I feel it's a struggle to fatten her up.
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-10-17 06:37:27
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    Soo cute!! :)
    And yes, she will thicken up/gain weight with time, don't worry too much!
  • My 7 year old female, Kotomi, is 35 lbs. So Kaja isn't too far off.
    = ( ^ - < ) =

I have had trouble keeping weight on my dogs with kibble but when I feed raw they maintain weight pretty well. They get a little fat. =P
    www.airreyalis.com | Shikoku Ken image

Shoushuu | Kotomi | Shuran | Ayla | Kukku | Maika | Asra

Other Members of The Airreyalis Pack - Lynxiene (Belgian Malinois) | Keno & Missy (Alaskan Klee Kai)
  • KajaKaja
    Kaja thanks everyone for telling her how cute she is, hehe

@shikokuspirit Ah good good! I imagine Kaja might fill out to be around Kotomi's weight, then. I read some people's shikoku are around 40-50lbs, so I sometimes get a bit nervous about how little she weighs :P
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    The males get that high and some females (like my gluttonous pig at 42-43 lbs). :) I've actually decided to cut her weight some so she'll look all svelt in time for the UKC show.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• emi802emi802
    I think Katsu's mom, Suki (I love that my phone autocorrected that to sukiyaki), is only 30 pounds. I wouldn't worry too much! We also found that Katsu gained and maintained weight better when we fed him raw. I think it's mostly because of his disdain for kibble though.
  • KajaKaja
    Haha. "Svelt".. that is a nice way of putting it! I am looking forward to her winter coat, though. So much fluff. So much roundness. Though, I know it will be nothing like what she was last winter (puppy fluff!).

@emi802 Mmm sukiyaki. I know Kaja eats a lot better when she can steal other dogs' kibble... I assume if it's more adventurous or there's a risk factor involved it gets tastier. Heh. Orijen's freeze dried dog food hits pretty well with her! I really recommend it. Sadly it's been out of stock around here lately. :(

I do want her to get more fat on her bones because she tends to not eat so well when she's at the sitter's. I haven't gone full out raw before, but I'll spend some time looking at the freezer next time I'm at the pet store! Thanks!

AND! Something for fun:
    You know how shikoku can often get the coyote/wolf comments, yes? Well. Here I've plopped Kaja on a (real) coyote fur blanket. Look at that camouflage!
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-10-28 20:49:32
  • emi802emi802
    She does look very camouflaged!! We just get raw foods from the grocery. I haven't tried out freeze dried as food, but I suspect he'll like it a lot. I got a sample once and I thought it was a treat, so i broke it into little pieces and used them as treats instead of rehydrating as food..... :S
  • KajaKaja
    so i broke it into little pieces and used them as treats instead of rehydrating as food..... :S

Hehe that's OK, both ways work! Sometimes I put a couple on her kibble and she enjoys it dry. Sometimes if she's not eating much that day I water it up and it works better :P

I wonder if there's a big price difference between grocery + pet store freezer meats. I'll have to check it out!
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-10-28 20:15:46
  • CaliaCalia
    Grocer meats are often cheaper than the pet store since it's not being sold for specialty purposes. If there are ethnic markets in your area, you may even find the meat for even cheaper as well as find other rare treats (such as chicken feet). Contact local training and show clubs to see if they know of any co-op meat orders, there's one by me that gets round beef for $0.89 per lb (vs $5+ per lb a the grocer). Also don't forget to visit the local farmer's market and make friends with any meat sellers, might be able to get waste parts (heads, feet, organs) for cheap or free. In some areas there are fees to dispose of unwanted body parts, so some farmers may be more than happy to give you some.
  • emi802emi802
    @Calia $0.89/lb?!?!?! That sounds cheaper than kibble. I need to find myself something like this! I've been looking for a local butcher to try to get waste parts, but they seem somewhat uncommon in my area.... :(
    Post edited by emi802 at 2015-10-29 13:28:32
  • KajaKaja
    Decided to just go all of the above and alternate things. So far so good!

Also quick question about coats, if anyone might be able to answer for me: Kaja is a year old now, so do Shikoku coat colours change much after a year old?

I'm curious if she would be considered a red sesame, or a sesame (aka goma or goma). Thoughts?
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-11-05 07:09:04
  • KajaKaja
    How often do you guys bathe your shikoku? I usually only have to do it after she's been with a bunch of other dogs. All the dried drool.... mud... dirt... yeah. You know. But she has gotten very tolerant of it and it's not a chore at all.
    Kaja is a big baby when it comes to baths... if I'm in the water with her, she will cuddle as close as she possibly can. Here you can see her eyeing the running water with apprehension, haha.
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-11-07 21:46:01
  • CrispyCrispy
    Hah! TK loves baths and water, but I hear he is unusual in that.

I bathe him about twice a year, though.
  • emi802emi802
    We bathe Katsu 2-4 times a year as well, depending on how gross he gets.

Edit: He's like Kaja too. He'll stand in it but he'll cling to us. He also usually tries to simply walk out of the bath once, but if we keep him from doing it, he stays put. He's pretty easy to bathe but he does NOT enjoy it haha.
    Post edited by emi802 at 2015-11-08 15:15:10
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Rollo is an absolute nightmare to bathe. We have had many bathroom battles to try and bathe him. The last time we bathed him he was teething, and lost a tooth in the process. The bathroom looked like a murder scene, and he ripped the tub faucet right out of the wall. We are going to take him to a groomer soon to have him bathed in a more controlled environment.

He is NOT a water dog. Thankfully he never gets smelly and generally avoids mud. If he got dirty often and still hated water, life with him would be a real challenge!
  • KajaKaja
    We bathe Katsu 2-4 times a year as well, depending on how gross he gets.

Edit: He's like Kaja too. He'll stand in it but he'll cling to us. He also usually tries to simply walk out of the bath once, but if we keep him from doing it, he stays put. He's pretty easy to bathe but he does NOT enjoy it haha.

Heh I get the feeling Katsu and Kaja are alike in a few ways! That's exactly her -- she doesn't enjoy it but gets through it. Speaking of, where are some recent Katsu pictures?! I haven't seen that thread updated in a while! Yes, peer pressure. :)
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-11-09 19:31:30
  • KajaKaja
    Rollo is an absolute nightmare to bathe. We have had many bathroom battles to try and bathe him. The last time we bathed him he was teething, and lost a tooth in the process. The bathroom looked like a murder scene, and he ripped the tub faucet right out of the wall. We are going to take him to a groomer soon to have him bathed in a more controlled environment.

He is NOT a water dog. Thankfully he never gets smelly and generally avoids mud. If he got dirty often and still hated water, life with him would be a real challenge!

What?! That's outrageous! My mind can't even comprehend the tub thing. Rollo is an ox.

Speaking of grooming: brushing teeth, that's a battle. I've tried, and I've failed miserably every time.

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-11-09 19:43:50
  • emi802emi802
    We owe you all pictures! I've just been really lazy.... I've been meaning to update for months now. I think we haven't updated since our first few months with him. We have exciting news this week, so I'll definitely update soon! And yes, I've noticed that Kaja and Katsu do sound really similar in many ways--even the first syllable of their names is the same :)

Edit: @Kaja @TheYeti I got curious if Kaja and Katsu are related in any way. Along the way, I noticed that there aren't entries for Kaja and Rollo on http://www.shikoku-pedigree.com. Make it happen! :D (Either that, or I'm terrible at using search....)
    Post edited by emi802 at 2015-11-10 16:32:52
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    You guys are gonna get a huge update on katsu + another surprise soon..... But for now you wait and slowly anticipate :]
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    P.s Moar kaja please
  • KajaKaja
    @jigzzor hehe... I haven't gotten any good photos of her in the snow yet, but once I do I will! Go and update Miyuki's thread with more spam tho! Can never have enough puppy photos :D

So! Little story time. My brother's friends have a pack at their house who like to play with Kaja... and he took her over there recently. Unfortunately and unbeknownst to everyone, there was a breach in the fence. The dogs got out. No one had a sharp eye on the backyard at the time so no one noticed!! Well... I shouldn't say all the dogs got out: three did. For whatever reason, thank goodness, Kaja and one other dog stayed inside the backyard.

Afterwards, the people went out to find the dogs and in the commotion Kaja did get out the front door, but she was quickly brought back inside.

All the dogs were found and were safe!

I wasn't there, and I'm so glad she didn't escape and get near the traffic nearby, but now I'm worried. I don't want to be overbearing and set a slew of rules for anyone watching her (I already have a lot of rules!), but I want her to be safe. -_-
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-12-09 08:31:36
  • KajaKaja
    @Kaja @TheYeti I got curious if Kaja and Katsu are related in any way. Along the way, I noticed that there aren't entries for Kaja and Rollo on http://www.shikoku-pedigree.com. Make it happen! :D (Either that, or I'm terrible at using search....)

I tried adding Kaja to the database, but it gives me a syntax error every time I try to add a dog. It just doesn't like me xD

I did a test with Katsu's entry and Kaja's full sister Sakura's entry though. It doesn't seem like they are immediately related. Genetically, anyway! Though they sound very related personality wise, haha.
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-12-09 09:19:11
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    I went ahead and added kaja to the data base. You can fill out the rest of the information if you'd like! http://www.shikoku-pedigree.com/details.php?id=64224
    Post edited by jigzzor at 2015-12-09 13:02:29
  • KajaKaja
    I went ahead and added kaja to the data base. You can fill out the rest of the information if you'd like! http://www.shikoku-pedigree.com/details.php?id=64224

Hey thanks @jigzzor! I've updated her profile. I guess the website really did just not like me -- liked you well enough :P
  • KajaKaja
    Kaja really -loves- her cousin, a catahoula cur/pitbull mix. And he is the sweetest friend she has. They spend most of their time wrestling, though when they're too tired to put much energy in to it... they'll just tangle themselves up and lay on the floor mouthing one another's face. They're gentle, but it looks like he left a couple marks on her this time. Poor girl! I think the healing is itching her, because she has been pawing at her nose once in a while.

Do your guys' shikoku ever get marked up like this from play? xD

• TheYetiTheYeti
    Rollo has come home from the dog park two times so far with minor nicks, one on his snout and one on his ear. Nothing too serious, smaller than the pics above. Kaja may have a sore nose for a couple of days, check for infections. Its usually Rollo that initiates the rough play. Even with my coworkers dog, Atlas the bull mastiff.

This little dog has no fear, wrestling with a dog that's 4 times his weight! He's way too fast for the mastiff, though when he tries to wrestle Rollo usually gets body slammed and stomped on. He goes right back for more so he's obviously a sucker for punishment.
    Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-12-11 21:29:01
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    Katsu tends to scare off dogs in his play style, the larger dogs also can't compete with his speed. I usually have to police katsu to make sure he isn't playing too rough when we take him to play with the dogs at the dog park. He had a gigantic mastiff friend when he was younger but he always managed to get that guy on his sides. I think the one time he really got hurt was when he was a ignorant pup that tried to pick on an akita. Big mistake, that akita is usually friendly but shikoku tend to piss off even the gentlest of giants.
  • KajaKaja
    Yeah, @TheYeti! Thanks! I've decided to dab a little Vaseline on it just in case. It's mostly welts, and more than anything it just makes her look rougher than she is. The funny thing is it's not even rough play, it's very mellow wrestling. And mostly quiet xD

This is what they do, it goes on and on until eventually they fall asleep or get distracted:

Post edited by Kaja at 2015-12-13 01:01:57
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Hahaha jigzzor, rollo had a run-in with a friends' Akita tonight. Rollo is highly play-driven and loves to socialize. This Akita doesn't have much interest in other dogs, and Rollo is pretty relentless in trying to get him to play. They had one snarly standoff, and they seemed to work things out, Rollo gave the Akita his space. They aren't exactly a good mix, you have to definitely police them.

Rollo was chewing on a bully stick later on, and he looked away from it for a second. It was just long enough that the Akita snuck in and stole it from Rollo. This made Rollo really upset, and after a minute, he told the Akita off and snapped at him. I've never seen that kind of behaviour from him before, as he has never been territorial over his toys.

Having the treat taken from him and being on edge all night must have set him off. It was really odd. Luckily these two dogs don't spend a lot of time together as they were kind of like oil and water tonight. I'm guessing it was his way of dealing with a fairly stressful situation?

I snuck up onto him chewing it once I got home, and no problems with me stealing it from him. This is definitely something I will be watching for closely, though with other dogs around he usually doesn't have toys around. From now on I'll keep chew toys and bully sticks out of these situations. That was my bad on introducing something really tasty into the scenario last night. Once I took it away they both settled back down again.
    Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-12-13 17:11:15
  • KajaKaja
    Photo update!

• SixSix
    Your photos are beautiful, especially that first one of Kaja running straight at you. She is a stunning girl. :x

Owned by 3 Northern Inuits, 1 GSDx and 1 Hokkaido.
  • emi802emi802
    Oh myyyy, she's so feminine <3
  • KajaKaja
    @Six thank you! That was during a recall practice. Practising recall is one of her favorite things, because she always knows there's treats or scratches involved haha.

@emi802 It's that dainty lifted paw that does it, isn't it? xD
  • KajaKaja
    Something funny today: had a Japanese language disk going.

Kaja came to see what was up, looked at the speakers intensely.

Every time they spoke a word she'd tilt her head. Look at the speakers again.

Then she started to bark. Every. Single. Word. You know how the audio says something, and then it pauses for you to repeat it? She would bark during the pauses. A couple times she even did as many barks as they did syllables, and I laughed at the coincidence of it. xD

She was totally trying to learn it too I guess? Her Japanese is terrible, if so. xD

She never minds when we have a show going on, but the Japanese language learning thing totally struck a chord. Hahahaha. Guess it really sounded like a stranger in the house.
    Post edited by Kaja at 2016-02-18 09:05:39
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    Lol that sounds adorable! :)
  • Decided to just go all of the above and alternate things. So far so good!

Also quick question about coats, if anyone might be able to answer for me: Kaja is a year old now, so do Shikoku coat colours change much after a year old?

I'm curious if she would be considered a red sesame, or a sesame (aka goma or goma). Thoughts?

Were you able to find out about this? Rosie's is getting white patches =P
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    @KevinDo88

Yes, they change color as they get older and/or blow coat after a year old. My black sesame looks more black/white/gray when she blows coat.
    Jesse Pelayo

• KajaKaja
    @KevinDo88 I don't know what her classification would be for sure, no one has chimed in their thoughts. In the middle of her face is a mask that is red, and when she was a puppy all of her was that red... but when you look at her puppy photos, it was actually her face that had the most black in it! The colours reversed a bit as she got older.

And yes! White patches will start to show up -- this is called the urajiro. From my understanding, you will see the white marking show up along what is called 'ventral' points. So the light points along the inside of the legs, the chest, the inside of the ears, the muzzle, and the tail will start to define themselves better. The line of the shoulders and neck also seems to lighten up compared to the rest of the body -- you can totally see this in Kaja's pictures as she gets older.

Black and tan will also have the spots around their eyebrows that are light in color (Kaja has this too, just not super noticeable... it's more of a grey against the red on her face).

When she was a puppy, she was classified as a 'red sesame'... though now I think she might be just a 'sesame'? :P
    Post edited by Kaja at 2016-02-25 18:29:30
  • @KevinDo88 I don't know what her classification would be for sure, no one has chimed in their thoughts. In the middle of her face is a mask that is red, and when she was a puppy all of her was that red... but when you look at her puppy photos, it was actually her face that had the most black in it! The colours reversed a bit as she got older.

And yes! White patches will start to show up -- this is called the urajiro. From my understanding, you will see the white marking show up along what is called 'ventral' points. So the light points along the inside of the legs, the chest, the inside of the ears, the muzzle, and the tail will start to define themselves better. The line of the shoulders and neck also seems to lighten up compared to the rest of the body -- you can totally see this in Kaja's pictures as she gets older.

Black and tan will also have the spots around their eyebrows that are light in color (Kaja has this too, just not super noticeable... it's more of a grey against the red on her face).

When she was a puppy, she was classified as a 'red sesame'... though now I think she might be just a 'sesame'? :P

So for Rosie, the white is all over her torso :-P. She is getting lighter overall though. Is this just part of her spring shedding you think?
  • KajaKaja
    Hmm I see what you mean now! I'm not sure! I've seen dogs with black base and white hairs just showing up in the coat here and there like that. Maybe NK are the same --only it's more visible after a shed. Sorry I can't help -- though maybe another B/T owner of shiba or shikoku might know the answer :P
  • KajaKaja

Kaja and I stumbled across some deer!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    cool pic!

The couple of times Meitou has been close to deer he hasn't noticed them. But he always seems to know exactly where the rabbits and squirrels are.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• KajaKaja
    cool pic!

The couple of times Meitou has been close to deer he hasn't noticed them. But he always seems to know exactly where the rabbits and squirrels are.

She didn't notice the deer at first (neither did I) until it ran right past us. Then she got interested!

HAHA and yeah. Something about the little animals, right? Birds, rabbits... and just something about them squirrels.

• KajaKaja

Kaja loves going to doggy daycare -- she just plays and plays, and then falls in to a coma when she gets home! Trouble is she burns so much energy playing, and has less interest in eating, so I have to feed her extra when I get her home just to fatten her up xD

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion