Kai Sisters: Suki and Luna

Warning: prepare for a lot of pictures on this initial post.

--First we have Yamabushi no Suki, the Kurotora Kai, she's 11 months old now, which is weird to think about. We picked her up from CO around January of this year when she was 8 weeks old. Her name was inspired by my family's AA, Tsuki who was a fantastic dog/member of the family. Living up to her namesake, we could not have asked for a better girl than Suki. She's smarter than we are and not food-motivated, making training a bit more difficult at the beginning. She prefers Agility class over Obedience, but does great in both. Unlike a lot of Kais, she is a silent guardian. She loves sitting out on the balcony, staring at everyone below, but will rarely make noise if she sees/hears something concerning. Rarely she will let out a low, huff-bark, but I could probably could on one hand how many times I've heard a normal bark from her. A social butterfly, she borders on the line of too-social. Any dog that comes around is way cooler than we are (working on that lol). She has her quirks but she is the most incredible dog. We definitely got lucky with her.

9 weeks
IMG_1149

After finishing puppy shots
IMG_1386

Interested in my computer/Standing on my chest
Photo on 2-14-14 at 2.06 PM

Saw her first horse!
DSC_0384

Learning to Weave
DSC_0688

Everyone's Favorite, the A-Frame
DSC_0740

Happy girl/Post Agility chest scratches
DSC_0962_2

One of her best friends, CJ
Friends

Model Shots
DSC_0125
DSC_0008

--Next we have little Gojiro no Luna, the Akatora? Kai. Now 12 weeks old, I made a solo trip to pick her up from IL three weeks ago. Unlike Suki, she is incredibly food-motivated. So much so, that I was able to teach her "Sit" AND get her to enjoy her pet carrier that first night we met. Unlike her sister, she is very vocal. She will cry/whine or bark to "talk" to us, letting us know that something is up. Sometimes that something is just "I'm walking around and I just wanted you to know". Luna is a different kind of smart. She will learn how do things that we haven't even taught her simply by watching Suki (as long as she gets paid afterwards lol). She seems to excel in Obedience class. While we have her in Puppy Agility class, she seems to like waiting on the tables more because that's when she gets more treats ;) She is a funny little one. While she pretends to love other dogs as much as Suki, she would much rather cuddle with the humans or vacuum up the leftover treats on the ground. But she would play with her sister all day if she could.

The night we met
IMG_3836

She loves hiding under the coffee table
IMG_3862

I think climbing on me is a common theme here
IMG_3927

Huh?
DSC_0082

Model Pictures
DSC_0122
DSC_0011
DSC_0275
DSC_0299

Most people here will probably think us unwise having two puppies at once, but the two of them together has been wonderful. Suki did take a few days to get used to the idea of having Luna around, but now they are a match made in heaven. They will take turns picking on each other, but overall are very gentle with each other. We all couldn't be happier :)

DSC_0098
DSC_0101
DSC_0146

Comments

• Ah these pictures are crazy big! I'll go back and make them smaller.
  • edited October 2014
    Hey, there you are!! Cute pictures of the girls <3 I don't think anyone on here will think it unwise to have more than one dog, esp when you have the time to take such good care of them! Welcome to the forum! I dont know how i missed your intro thread, but these pictures made me smile :)
  • Ohmygosh, Suki and Luna are both amazingly adorable. Suki is beautiful and Luna's head tilt picture is so cute I want to cuddle it. :)
  • @mdokic I just think that most people don't suggest getting two puppies (since Suki is still technically a pup) ;)

@WhoBitMe Thank you! Luna loves herself some people. Pretty much always down for some cuddles! :)
  • There is a lot of cute in this thread! :)
  • What pretty little ladies you have! I especially like the head tilt one and the one where Luna is puppy sitting and Suki is laying down and sniffing her face. Do you know what Suki's height/weight are right now?
  • Thank you!

@tmd Suki is ~18in/46cm at the withers. I'm not sure about her weight now because we haven't weighed her in a while but I'd guess ~ 30lb/14kg maybe a little bit more.
  • Welcome! They sure are adorable.

You are correct, most people don't recommend two at a time. But the fact that they have an age spread definitely helps! Just make sure to give them individual attention and training!
  • Yep! We take each one to their respective classes and each one gets alone time with us each night. Of course one comes over if the other is getting some attention but nothing we didn't expect to happen haha. Luckily, Suki is very patient with Luna's puppy crazies. We make sure to intervene if either one becomes too fixated on the other. It seems to be working well! No incidents so far :)
  • They sound like my two girls. They are complete opposites. But the older one is definitely tolerant of the younger ones craziness and temper lol.
  • I love these girls! They are sooo pretty :]
  • Fantastic pair you have there. I bet they will keep you busy.
  • @Bootz That sounds very familiar ;)

@TheSquatchQueen Thank you!! Trevor's parents live in the Seattle area, so maybe the next time we go up there we can meet you? Keanu and Mika are so freaking cute :)

@drpancakes Thanks! Yes, they definitely do. Our lives pretty much revolve around them, without regret!
  • They are both gorgeous! suki reminds me some of Leo in behavior (Leo is a Yamabushi dog from Ayu and Akashi). Leo never barks though very occasionally will whine, especially if he is excited. He's barked only a few times in his life. And he hated obedience class but loves Agility, but on his terms--if he's bored, he stops. He hates repetition!

anyway, they are lovely! Wonderful pics!
  • That sounds incredibly familiar! Her favorite thing to do is stop at the peak of the A-frame when she's bored. And no matter how much I wave my arms around or show her the treat in my hand, the only thing that will get her off is throwing it onto the floor. Lol.
  • We've started using the A-frame or teeter as Leo's reward. He doesn't like the jumps--I think they just bore him--but he'll go over a series of them with excitement if it means he can go on the A-frame or teeter, so we try to end with something he likes. He hates the handling exercises, though, which is why I gave up thinking about competition with him--he just prefers not to sometimes! But he loves the contact stuff--A-frame, teeter, and dog walk.
  • Oh yeah! Suki loves the A-frame, teeter, dog walk and also the tunnel. I think when she gets bored, she just decides that she'll stay on the a-frame so she can stare at everyone because spying on people at the top is way more fun than doing what we are supposed to be doing. I can tell she loves those four because if we have playtime with her other friends either before or after class, she'll use the equipment while playing chase.
    And we're definitely on the same page with you and Leo about competitions. She would take one look and decide if she was up for it or not and act accordingly. So we just use it for a fun workout for both of us. And she doesn't complain about play dates after!