Helping adjust a new Kai Ken (crate question)

I think this post question is more to just get my BF to stop worrying.

Our new Kai Ken was adopted from a breeder just this last saturday. He spends pretty much his whole time in his crate (which is the crate we bought off the breeder so that he had something familiar)

My boyfriend was reading online and worrying that because he is staying in his crate, that he will not get over it and will just continue to live in his crate. But the stuff he was reading was specific to dogs raised in puppy mills, in shelters, or from abusive past.

Kiba did not come from any of these things. He came from one loving home. He has only known one owner who is closing up shop and rehoming half her dogs. He was the runt so he did have to deal with getting picked on from time to time and competing with other dogs, but he was at least the husbands favorite dog because he is a lover.

So I keep telling my boyfriend to stop worrying about it. He hasn't even been at our place a week. I would rather let Kiba feel comfortable and come out on his own terms versus us potentially trying to force him into any situations such as not letting him have access to his crate while we are home and trying to keep him in the same room as us.

Unfortunately how our apartment is set up, he is over by the entrance of the apartment, so at least he gets all the foot traffic. We have to walk past him to leave, use the bathroom, or go into our bedroom but then it is easier to section off so that my Shiba isn't pestering him or making him feel threatened while he is adjusting (since he was getting really upset when she would get too close to his crate the first couple days. Not so much anymore)

Basically my question is, is it OK to allow Kiba to pretty much live in his crate and hope he comes out when he is comfortable or should we start pushing for some smaller interactions after next week or so if he is still being reclusive?

I personally think it isn't an issue because he is warming up to us. I keep his crate door open and if we aren't in the same room, he comes out and pops his head around the corner. He doesn't shy away when I come over and lay down and start giving him pets or small pieces of cheese. He is definitely way more comfortable now. His body is less tense and he doesn't freak out when I sit down by him. I still have to pull him out of his crate when I need to take him outside for a walk/potty break, but even then he is more comfortable on walks.

Please tell me my boyfriend is just being silly and there isn't anything to worry about. I honestly feel we should let Kiba do things on his term and his time period (exceptions of walks).

Comments

• I think your boyfriend has legitimate concerns so I would not pass him off as being silly. He wants Kiba to integrate into the household, though he probably wants it at a faster rate than Kiba is ready for. :)

Right now, let Kiba rest and relax in his crate when he wants. This has been a big change for him, and I am sure he is a little nervous about the new place, new people, and new Shiba. It sounds like he is adjusting reasonably well and should be allowed to explore at his own pace.

You may want to crate your Shiba for a couple of hours each day to let Kiba explore the house without having to worry about interacting with her right now. After a few weeks, if Kiba is still spending the majority of his time in his crate, you may want to start forcing interactions (and by forcing, I mean just shutting his crate without him in it so that he is forced to hang out elsewhere).

But for now, let him be. Just make his experiences positive and he will adjust on his own. It sounds like you guys are doing a great job with him.
  • Are you also feeding Kiba inside his crate? It seems that your new pup has already associated the crate as a security blanket so maybe it might help to usher things by making sure a few positive activities occur for Kiba ONLY done outside the crate, like thinking about transitioning mealtimes outside the crate, a special high value toy or treat, etc.

You might also be able to help facilitate the adjustment by having crate covers or blankets over the dog that is crated initially so that Kiba can wander about and hear and smell your Shiba but not explicitly see the Shiba just yet.

Jesse
  • The crate should be sacred as a place of security for Kiba when he's in it, but I agree that some interaction with you (not necessarily your Shiba) outside of the crate is a really good idea, just don't force him out. Then he'd be at risk of thinking he had nowhere safe to go if he felt anxious. I don't think you should remove the crate, but everything he experiences out of the crate should be positive and I totally agree that he should have his meals alone, as far away from the crate as he will tolerate until it's in the dog feeding area. I think he should be allowed to retreat, but you should make every time he explores rewarding for him.

For general socialization/acclimation, just put up the Shiba, open the crate door, sprinkle a trail of goodies leading to a common area and hang out like you normally would. Don't make sudden moves towards him if he seems scared or skittish, but have something really tasty ready if he makes it farther than he has before and especially if he comes to you or comes to the door to be let outside to eliminate.

He sounds like a well-adjusted dog in a new environment that just needs to learn what the new routines are. Once he gains more confidence in you and his new home, you'll likely have a zoomy, couch-climbing, catdog like the rest of us Kai owners.
  • Right now Kiba's food and water is outside the crate. I leave the door open but I have that area sectioned off. Right now he is only eating at night when we are asleep and he is not food motivated. He likes the little bit of cheese I give him, but it isn't enough to entice him to physically move from the crate.

The shiba has been doing better at not bugging him. It was mostly his food because I would leave it out for him and if there were any particles she would try to go for it. So I put his food away and leave his whole section open when we are home so if he truly wants to wander anywhere in the apartment he can. I will just call off Taro if I see her breaking the boundaries I've set up.

Might be a good idea to have the boyfriend go walk our shiba and then allow Kiba to truly go through and explore the apartment without her there.

I already have a cover over his crate. He had his crate originally in our bedroom and we covered it fully so that Taro couldn't shove her nose in there which upset him. Then we moved his crate to the hallway (our room is super small and I didn't want him to just stay in our bedroom where nothing happens during the day).

For a bit I would cover his crate at night and unblockade that section, but he wasn't eating or drinking the items in his crate. So at night and pretty much all the time, the door to the crate is never closed and his food and water are outside of it. So he has to partially leave his crate to get those things.

When I go over there and give him a petting session, my shiba comes over to investigate and she will get really close to the crate and he no longer bares his teeth at her, has his fur standing up or gets tense. He will if she tries to get in the crate, but he doesn't seem bothered by her poking around outside of it anymore.

I think it would be good idea to just let him continue to do his think for this week since he has only been here since sat and it hasn't been a full week, but maybe I can get him to come out of the crate and give him cheese pieces then. I give him his cheese when Taro is right there and then I give her cheese too to try to associate delicious cheese in each others presence. Seems to help.

He is still indifferent to her and she wants him so badly. She wants to interact with him and play and I have to tone her down on our group walks. She follows him and tries to walk right by his side (which actually relaxes him when she does this) and all her attention is on what he is doing. If he goes over to something to sniff it, she goes and does the same thing. It's like watching a little kid mimicking the person they idolize.
  • Make sure you have individual walking sessions with Kiba too. And when I was referring to the crate cover, it was actually equally applying to Taro's crate being covered while Kiba is out too.

Anyway, you do have the right idea and are on the right track. I would chalk up the first 3 weeks as the adjustment period for your puppy. Make sure Kiba has as much, if not more, stimulus and socialization cues from you and your boyfriend than Tora.

Best of luck and congratulations on adding to your pack:).

Jesse
  • My vet recommended these for my senior dog who doesn't like car rides, but is forced to take them for acupuncture treatment. You could see if they help Kiba too.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001WOOC9S

Also, you could try making food a scarcer resource to increase his food motivation by feeding him at specific times during the day (2 or 3) and then picking up whatever he doesn't eat after 5 minutes. Might give you a lever to get him out and about more.
  • While you don't want the dog to never leave his crate you most definitely do not want to push him to integrate faster than he is ready for. For adult Kai it can take up to a year. Find balance to allow him to have low key safe not pressured social time, have him out while watching TV but ignore him, social time, and crate time
  • He has opened a lot already. He still tends to stay in his crate, but he comes out to explore a lot more. He is also a lot more comfortable now. He doesn't shy away when we come to his crate for pets and sometimes when we walk away, he comes out and follows us but if we turn to him he runs off.

I think this week I will still let him do his own thing and then next week I am going to start having him chill with us in the living room for an hour.

He is eating now. Still not a large amount, but enough to hold him over and enough for him to poop. He is also drinking a normal amount of water. Still won't take treats though.

He is also more comfortable on walks. Pulling less and tail is up more often.

He is also becoming more rambunctious. Trying to jump on my computer desk, howling a bit, and making some monkey noises. He even jumped in bed with me and got some pets for about 20mins.
  • Maybe others will have other advice , but i tend to put crates in the traffic heavy areas of the house. That way they have their own space, and can still see whats going on and get acclimated to the new environment.

• @jwallwalrus - That is great news that he is becoming more comfortable and exploring a bit more on his own.

As for the treats issue... Will he take them if you toss them to him? One of my Shibas is nervous around new people and will not take treats directly from them, but will take them if they toss them towards her on the ground. Maybe try that and see if he will eat them that way?

Either way, just give him some time and he will be right at home. You are doing great and he is making excellent strides! :)