checking for ticks on brindle.

edited August 2014 in General
I took my puppies on a hike yesterday and found an area with higher than normal grass, but it was still part of the trail. I thought flea and ticks were tucked into the grass, but pups' trifexis would save them.

When we got home, i have them a bath and noticed a dead tick on mochi, a white bc. I took it off and continued to bathe him. The next day, i noticed a tick on my shirt and pillow! So I did research and trifexis, doesn't guarantee against ticks!

So I went to my vet to buy products but they only gave me capstar and a spray for furniture and carpet.

I gave them both a bath again and found a ton of tick nymphs on mochi. Eevee, being brindle, was extremely hard to find one.

So, does anyone know how to check for fleas and ticks on a darker dog? Any tips on my tick dilemma? Thanks!

Comments

• Hate, hate, hate ticks!! Especially at this age where they are practically impossible to see. We treat most our dogs with Advantix, works great on killing ticks that bite the dogs though some dogs can be allergic to it and it's not advisable to use it if the dog lives with cats. For the most part, we do the best we can to avoid taking the dogs into areas that could contain a lot of ticks until we start getting winter frost.

You may also want to consider making sure you're protected during walks. Get some permetrin and treat a set of clothes and shoes with it that you would want to designate for hikes, will kill ticks when they come into contact with you. Also use a lint roller after a hike to pick off any ticks. Also make sure to take a shower after hikes to help wash off any ticks you may have missed.
  • Hunting down every possible tick on a medium to large breed is pretty futile. The capstar and tropicals are the best way to be sure they are gone. Advantage, front line, and many others have tick formulas. We use revolution because it kills fleas, ticks, heartworm, and several internal parasites without having to shove anything down the dogs.

These do not prevent an initial bite though so as a repellent for ticks and mosquitos we use Natural Defense which is a mix of herbals like mints, cinnamon, lemongrass... The pet store also had several chemical repellents made by the same company.
  • When we lived in Massachusetts, I just had the Big Brindles- Rei and Sage- but we'd hike, then get back to the car and I'd use a flea comb on them right there and stick all the ticks on a roll of duct tape as I found them. At this point, the ticks were still crawling and getting comfortable, not biting, so they were easy to comb off. When the dogs were thoroughly combed, I'd fold the tape over and seal in the ticks then throw them in the trash, so as not to have to remove the same ticks again next time. Combing takes time, but I think is a best practice rather than waiting for the chemicals to work at the time of a bite. We also used k9 Advantix monthly on their backs, and the Tick Twister (a tiny plastic crowbar) for removing any that were attached.
  • I forgot to say that I have a cat that likes to cuddle with the dogs and the dogs like grooming the cat. So I have to avoid some medicines because and shampoos because it may hurt sushi.
  • Revolution is safe for cats. Front line plus is the same ingredients in the dog and cat ones but they do say not to use on other species. I don't if that's because of dose difference or because lots of people use it off label on small animals. The herbal repellents would be safe around cats.
  • I used to go hiking/backpacking almost every weekend, and I try not to go during high tick season and in brush even though I use frontline on my girls. (Ticks give me the heebee jeebees.) I do a version of what WrylyBrindle does with the flea comb and tick twister, though my inspections of the girls don't usually happen until we get to a hotel or back home where I have more light. (We usually get back to our vehicle at dusk or dark.) But I try to do a quick inspection before they hop into the vehicle, and I'm always vigilant about any weird spots on their fur. (Easier to tell on Yuki since she's white. Kimi's sesame.) My husband likes to burn the ticks we find, but I like the duct tape idea. and may use that myself.

Of course, there was that one time where we backpacked into a spot that was tick city. All of us had at least 30 on each of us--1 dog (use frontline regularly) and 5 humans (used deet). Let's just say that we were all so paranoid from removing so many that we cut the trip short and packed out the next day. And all of us did another check at the vehicle and back at home--personal, clothes, and gear. And as I remember, a couple of us still had ticks on our clothes and gear.

So since then, I try not to go during high tick season or high tick locations and in brush or high grass areas. Just been my experience.
  • Of course, there was that one time where we backpacked into a spot that was tick city. All of us had at least 30 on each of us--1 dog (use frontline regularly) and 5 humans (used deet).
    It probably should be noted that Deet, even though advertised as a tick repellent, really doesn't work that well with ticks and shouldn't be use alone in high tick areas. Permethrin treated clothing Works a lot better, will actually kill the ticks, and it lasts a lot longer than Deet.

This time of year is the worst though since the adults are gone and they left their nymphs behind. The nymphs are very small, probably smaller than a flea and the size of a poppy seed when fully engorged, and a pinkish-tan color so they are harder to see on the skin.