In the woods with Hokkaido Ken "Genko"

Here's a video from one of my adventures with Genko...

She's fun to hike with, she's got a ton of energy, sticks close enough to me, and she's very nimble and sure footed.

Comments

• :) Looks like fun...i wish i had open space like that to take kona...she loved that day we went out, chasing all the chipmunks and squirrels. Do you ever run into other dogs out there?

I love watching genko zoom around!! She's got her happy face on ♥
  • Sometimes we run into dogs in that area, since there are several camping sites in the area. Usually only on the weekends tho. This hike we ran into a family, but no dogs.
  • Aww, that crazy zoomie out of the trees about halfway through reminds me so much of how Hanzo does on our exploratory hikes. Usually, he's pretty good sticking near if we're on a trail, but if we are just wandering he does that same fly-by check-in before he's off again into the underbrush. Speaking of underbrush, I'm so jealous of the lack of it where you're hiking. The undergrowth is nearly impassable in some areas of Virginia. Makes for a less pleasant experience and a much higher tick exposure rate.
  • It is a great area you've got there, and LOTS of it! :)
  • Less oxygen = less plans. ;)
  • She looks like a good hiking partner! Katana is a lot like that, he sticks close and is pretty nimble. I love hiking in tat sort of forest, I miss it.
  • Now that's a dog walk!

I would love to have my male shiba trained to run to my falcon down w/ a duck(I don't need him flushing. That needs to be tightly controlled ), and just go and sit by the bird and protect him, guard. Marauding redtails (and the occasional coyote) looking for a free meal when a falcon is down w/ prey 3 hundreds from you (falcon destroys redtail when both are the air) is serious issue.
    Yet, heck, I have no idea how well he can be trusted off leash? I know this - when he has escaped from the back yard under the fence, out to our acreage, he doe snot leave the area.
  • That looks like so much fun! I think that's what Meitou would be like if he could still hike free. He lost that privilege as his dog reactivity developed. So he is usually on leash unless I'm pretty confident that we are the only ones out and about.