Found Kai Ken In Dog Encyclopedia!

This is very random, but I was at Petsmart flipping through a random dog breed book and the pages fell open to a page with Kishu Ken on it! I thought "no way" and flipped back a few pages and sure enough, the Kai Ken was in there! I've never seen them listed in a book before and wanted to share with you all. Sorry if someone else has brought up a similar topic, a quick search didn't turn anything up.

The photos:

Comments

• :) I don't think anyone describes the kai as a "guardian" :) but that's pretty good otherwise! I'm also kindof impressed that they have the AKC-FSS designation in there, since that's pretty recent.

A dog breed book I have here put the kai into it's "Hounds" chapter, with Hokkaido and Akita in the "working dogs" chapter, no Kishu or Shikoku, and Shiba in "Non-sporting" but I was impressed they had kai at all.
  • One of the dog encyclopedias I had when i was little had Kai Ken in it. I don't remember seeing the other breeds in it. If I can find the book, I will post pics of it
  • edited July 2014
    I saw kai ken, shikoku, kishu on one it was different one from this one. I saw it at a book store long time ago. It might had a hokkaido on it too I forgot.
  • There was another one with the Kishu, Kai, and Shikoku in it that I photographed when I saw it at a bookstore. The information was a little "off" and the pictures weren't great, but at least there was representation.
  • Hey, that's cool!

I'll see if I can find a link to the dog book my friend bought that has all the Nihon Ken in it. The photographer was Japanese, so that's probably why it has them all in it! It's my favorite dog book. It also has the CO in it!
  • I had a tremendously huge dog book when I was a kid that had the NK in it... and a lot of other breeds I've rarely or never encountered in any other book. Chodsky Pes, Bouvier des Ardennes, all the French scenthounds I have a hard time telling apart, actually separate entries for Finnish and Swedish Lapphunds, all of the laika, etc. If I remember correctly it was just titled Canine Lexicon. Published sometime before the dissolution of Yugoslavia, because I remember the "Y" section (it was just alphabetical) had a few breeds listed as Yugoslavian and it wasn't out-of-date information for the book's actual publication date.

I don't have it anymore, unfortunately. I used it so much it fell apart completely and my parents tossed it.
  • I need to get an updated book! :D
    I had one that I used when I was a groomer... helped me with pricing when a strange looking mixed breed came in. It fell apart and I had to chunk it.... I would love to make copies of the bed description for my dogs and just hand those out when people ask about them.
  • Wow, I can't believe so many people have seen them in books! Maybe I wasn't looking because I've only known about the breed for two years. Either way, I was pretty excited about it :]
  • I went through a phase of collecting dog encyclopedias but stopped ten years ago. Here are a couple oldies that had Jindos mentioned, and so probably Kai too.

Canine Lexicon by Andrew De Prisco and James B. Johnson
    March 1, 1993

The New Encyclopedia of the Dog by Bruce Fogle
    September 1, 2000

Japanese Breeds by Michiko Chiba
    September 1, 2003
  • That New Encyclopedia of the Dog by Bruce Fogle is the one I had that had Kai in it
  • I know the AKC's been really branching out lately, especially with their FSS breeds. A lot of people are getting exposed to different breeds that they otherwise wouldn't have known about. Fun to see Kai in some things! :)
  • I have an old dog encyclopedia that has all the NK in it (just AA, not JA, though). The Hokkaido is under Ainu instead of under Hokkaido. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it later.