Introducing Mika! [Akashi x Ayu] Updated: 07/25/2014

It's been two weeks since we picked Mika up from Brad and Jen and i've shared a few photos on Facebook but thought I should officially introduce her to the group. I know there is another Mika so just to clarify this one is from the latest Ayu x Akashi litter. Maybe we can call her Mika 2.0 or something haha.

Anyway, we picked her up from Yamabushi and drove back to Denver to fly home and she slept almost the entire ride back. Everyone in the airport fell in love with her and were googling Kai Ken on their phones to see more photos. She was a little unsure of what was going on but let everyone pet her and even made friends with a toddler at our gate! We broke the rules and took her out of her carrier on the plane because it was a night time flight and all of the lights were off. We sat in the very back, I wrapped her in a hoodie and she slept on my lap the entire flight home [which is more than I can say for us, there were at least four screaming children in our section and sleep was not happening!].

Here she is sleeping in my arms in the car.

Trying to convince my husband to share his french fries with her.

First day home, already climbing like a little mountain goat

Awkward sleeping position

Look how cute I am!

Found her big brother's antler which is the same size as her.

Some outside photos so you can see her brindling.

Some random photos I took last night. I had to lighten them a lot to even be able to see her! #darkdogproblems

And yes, that is a little cat bell attached to her collar. She is so tiny and ninja sneaky that it is very easy to lose her in our apartment!

Comments

• edited June 2014
    OOH MY GOD!!! I MISS HAVING A PUPPY!! D:

Mika (or Mika 2.0 ;) ) is SOO stinking cute! I just want to cuddle her too :( She looks like she's going to be petite like my girls haha

Anyway, congrats once again!!
  • @mdokic What she said!

You had me at the first picture, LOL, she is such a cutie! Congrats!!!
  • She is so stinkin' adorable! The first picture and the one on Brett's arm are the best :D
    I'm thinking she's going to be a little on the petite side too, but super fast! Start the recall training early and she'll be an awesome offleash hiker like her aunt
  • On that note, it's good she has Ayu blood in her, since Akashi is such a great escape artist lol! Having the Kumi x Akashi wander/escape instinct has been fun with Kimber, though thank goodness food goes a long way :P She WILL be fast!
  • She is so cute! I love how she is climbing already, and also the Kai cutting the eyes at you look (when they look at you out of the sides of their eyes!). And since I have an Ayu x Akashi pup (my Leo) I'm particularly fond of this mix! :)
  • Oh my gosh she is cute! I love her little ears! I miss when Yuc was that tiny. You are going to have so much fun with that little girl! Btw we had to do the bells on the collar as well, they can be so quiet and sneaky
  • She is going to be a tiny kai but she is tough! And sooo cuddly! My other pets won't snuggle with me but she loves to sleep on me.

We have a lot of different landscapes in our apartment complex so I've been taking her through mulch, over rocks and little bridges trying to warm her up for her first hike when her shots are complete. What I am most impressed with is the fact that no matter where we are in the neighborhood she can pull me all the way back to our apartment. She is so smart! She either has a great internal compass or some ancient Nihon Ken witchcraft at her disposal. :))
  • Lol, there's a body in the background with a trail of red... ribbon!

How is she doing with big brother? :)
  • edited June 2014
    Haha I didn't notice that!

Keanu was interested but very nervous at first. I don't think he had ever seen a dog that small and didn't know what to do with her. A few days later Mika was playing with our cat and something clicked in his head and he ran over to play. They have been playing a lot the last week but he still has moments where he wants to be left alone and goes to lay down in his bed.
    Since Mika is little and is still learning to read body language we have been blocking for Keanu whenever he gives signs of being uncomfortable. From what I have seen I know they will be best friends, especially since they have the exact same play style, it will just take a little time.
  • Mikatoo is so cute! I'm jealous that she likes to sleep with you. Hanzo never wants to lay on us to sleep unless we're in the car.

Good job making sure Keanu is comfortable and defending him. You definitely don't want her associating him with an extreme response or too much snarkiness before they have a chance to bond.

Congratulations, she's adorable! Those eyes are like tractor beams pulling you in.
  • Yay! Finally! She is super cute. Love the mountain goat picture. ;)

Even after a year I still have to step in when Meitou tries to play with my other dog because he plays so hard. But she's old and can't really play and doesn't really want to play (she's a major fun police). But Meitou keeps trying, he gets kind of desperate for her to play sometimes. She's making ugly faces at him and acting like a land shark and he's throwing play-bows all over the place.
  • @WhoBitMe Aww poor Meitou, he just wants someone to play with! And Mika has started taking flying leaps off of the couch and bed but hasn't figured out how to jump up onto anything. I can't wait until the day I come home and she is sitting on top of our cat tree staring at us haha.

@tmd Thanks! We think Keanu missed out on his socialization period when he was a puppy so he has had some issues in the past with being able to properly greet dogs and read their body language. Because of that I wanted to make sure he knows we will defend him so he doesn't feel the need to escalate things when he wants to be left alone.
  • How precious!!! She does look petite and lady like. Such a cute puppy... congrats!
  • She is adorable! :) Congrats on finally bringing her home!
  • So cute. :) Hope to see more pics and hope she grows well.
  • Kai are dare devils. We have a winding-ish staircase and she will fly through the bars to get down instead of going around. Be careful of fallen trees, she will climb them and jump.. and then you'll dive to catch her and she'll land like a cat and prance off. Crazy Kai Puppies.

Can't wait until she gets her shots! :)
  • Tsuki is still quite afraid of jumping off my bed. Haha, She can do it, but she's still so unsure of herself.
  • Thanks everyone! She is an absolute maniac and we are so lucky to have her.

And I cant wait to meet you Oregon/Washington people this summer!
  • edited June 2014

And bonus Youtube videos of Keanu and Mika playing.

Their first real play session:

The other day:
  • That popcorn picture is the best.

I love how in the second video Keanu looks like he's tossing Mika like a ragdoll then holds his paw on her.

They are are so cute. Thanks for sharing.
  • edited June 2014
    OMG!!! The last video, that is the CUTEST! Feisty little Kai girls...they're the best (and they're hilarious to watch lol) ;) I like when he lays on her towards the end how she wiggles out and *snap snap snap*!! with this surprised look on her face, like "HEY!! dude!! i'm too little for that, HELLOOO!!"
  • @TheSquatchQueen If she does ever climb the cat tree I hope you can get a picture of it. That would be awesome to see. And that popcorn picture is so cute! They both have such adorable "Please?" faces. Those videos of them playing are SO CUTE. Mika's little cat bell is adorable....I kept thinking there just had to be a cat somewhere (growing up a bunch of my family's cat wore cat bells).
  • The picture is so cute!!! Mika is so tiny!
    In the second video, Keanu looks like he's wondering what that black blob attached to the end of his toy is and how can he get it off of there. :D
    They play a lot like Shelby and Rosie, only in reverse. Rosie paws Shelby on the face and Shelby tries to keep the toys away from Rosie. I'll have to get it on video next time so you can see. :)
  • Mika looks great :) its pretty cute watching her try to hold her own with Keanu. Can't wait to see her as she grows!
  • Aww she's so cute!!

There's so many Kai named Mika!! My sisters Kai is also a Mika lol It's a good name ;)
  • Keanu is very "handsy" and likes to paw at everything. He was raised by our cat so he learned to use his front feet a lot and they would sit there just pawing at each other. Mika is getting tougher every day and is getting really smart about playing. She likes to bite at his toes or pull his tail when he isn't looking haha.

@Dragonfly I knew there was one but I didn't know there was another! What can I say, it's just a perfect little Kai girl name :]
  • Oh she is precious!
  • Such a cute, tiny girl ! <3 I like a lot the video ! Keanu and Mika already ae good friends !! :D
  • edited July 2014
    Update time! Mika has finally calmed down enough during meal time that she can eat slowly and chew her food! It's a miracle! When she first got here she would literally SCREAM while we were getting her food ready, then she progressed after a few days to excited barking, lots of jumping, and inhaling her food so fast she would get hiccups. The last week she has been eating slowly and actually taking a bit and then SITTING DOWN to chew it. Very exciting stuff :]

Here is a video I took of her today rummaging in her toy box and being cute in general.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202391953656166&l=7703178902959051538

Potty training is going well, she still has accidents but is starting to signal more by going to the front door and looking at her leash. She is biting a little bit less and walking a little better on the leash. All in all, she is a fantastic puppy! Definitely a trouble maker but it's been so fun having her around.

Here are some photos of her and Keanu chewing on each other's faces tonight. Every night at 9:30pm without fail they both get hyper at the same time and zoom around the house like maniacs.

• Wow Mika is so cute it's ridiculous! Keanu looks like he's having a good time with his new play toy :) The videos of them playing are great! She's going to be one tough little girl when she gets older.