Kangai the Hokkaido

I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to be picking up Kangai next Saturday (April 26th) at the Metro Airport  in Detroit at 1:00! Sealed 

She is flying from Frankfurt to Detroit on a direct flight. Anyone who has exported your dogs to a US Airport, is there anything I need to bring or can you give me an idea of what to expect?

Comments

• edited November -1

WOW! Congrats! I'm so freaking stoked for you!

It will be imperative that you spam us constantly with pics and info! Smile

---

What airline is she flying in on? For us, picking up our imported pups hasn't been to bad. Just show up and pick them up from the forwarder. There is a little bit of waiting, but other than its not to bad. In ATL they made us take Hilo's papers to the customs office and get them "stamped". This was not very pleasant, but from what I understand that is not a normal procedure - ATL is just very strict and rude.

In Denver we just showed up, paid $30 to the forwarder, and signed a doc... they had already done all the customs stuff.

• edited November -1

That is awesome!

Is Kangai going to be the first Hokkaido in the US or are there a few of them?

• edited November -1
    Cool! Congrats Jamie!
  • edited November -1

Brandon -

I think there is one other Hokkaido in the US that was imported from Japan, that I know of anyways. All the others I have came across are from Poland. The good news is that she isnt on a spay/neuter contract so I could breed her and show her if I wanted, but the hard part is to find a male if I ever decided to breed her because even in Japan Hokkaidos are very rare just like the Kai and there arent too many that dont share the same bloodline, that is my understanding anyways that I know of.

• edited November -1
    WOW JAMIE!!! CONGRATS!!! That is awesome news!!! Im so happy for you!  I know how much you've been wanting a Hokkaido, so you must be super stoked!!!  Please spam us as much as possible!!!
  • edited November -1

Yes I am! I am just scared for the long flight and how the lil diva shiba Keira is going to do with her. She is the queen bee of the house, but it is my understanding that Hokkaidos are low key and relaxed like Kais so hopefully she will just brush it off and they wont fight alot. Keira gets mad when Kenji just ignores her. He gets to the point where if she is being too much of a brat he just finds a high place to climb (like a cat) and ignores her. lol. 

It seems like everyone in this forum are getting new doggies this month! =)

• edited November -1
    Woohoo that sounds so exciting. Yes, please spam us with pictures.
  • edited November -1
    Don't worry I will be taking TONS of pictures! =)
  • edited November -1

I actually think there are at least 3 Hokkaido in the US. I know Bob Simmons has 2 in Boulder CO.

So you may have some breeding options.

What does it matter tho... if there is 1, 2, 3 - even 5 in the US they are still EXTREMELY rare and special... that is really cool that you are getting one. Congrats!

• edited April 2008
    New pictures of Kangai from Ewas website!
  • edited November -1
    I have just fallen in love with your pup.  Where are you getting her from?
  • edited November -1
    Oh how cute!!!!
  • edited November -1

cute overload!!!!

is cream/white an acceptable marking in other japanese spitz-type breeds then?  

• edited November -1
    All the way from Poland!Smile
  • edited November -1

tsukitsune -

It is a fault for Shibas, but it is acceptable for Hokkaidos and im not sure if its a fault for any other spitz type.

• edited November -1

Brad -

Maybe you could get a male Hokkaido  in the next couple years and help me breed Kangai WinkTongue out

• edited November -1
    does Kangai mean anything special, jmaxwell?
  • edited November -1
    You can call me Jamie =) Actually I didnt name her, thats what Ewa, her breeder ended up naming her. I should ask her. She was actually the only pup that survived. Her sister died a few days after they were born. Frown So I wonder how she will adapt to having a new brother and sister to beat up Tongue out
  • edited November -1
    well, Jamie, whatever her name means, she already is extraordinary!
  • edited April 2008

hi everyone :)

My name is Ewa and Kangai is a child of mine :) I am a friend of Robert and Kasia - known already from two other hokkaido topics on this forum. I am reading Your forum some weeks :), but I have to say, I was always to lazy to write something here. You know, it is always easier to write in our own language, and it always takes me more time to say someting in English or German than Polish :)

So I will join You from time to time, when I find a couple of minutes between my huskies, hokkas, job, husband and building the new house :)

I hope, that You will take on Kangai very good in US, and You`ll be in love in hokkas, as deep as we did one day :) Now, I am full of afraid, how Kangai spent the flight to America, and how much she will miss us....

Jamie knows, that she and we - are already very strongly connected together. Kangai is my sweet daughter :), super smily devil :) and my shadows... Where Ewa, there Kangai....

So, we could "send" her from Poland via Germany to America, but we decided to go 900 km to Frankfurt so Kangai has a non-stop flight, without any change and beying 20 hrs in travel. I hope, that like Robert`s Jaja, she`ll jump from the carrier on Detroit`s Airport when she will hear "Kangai"!!! and will accept Jamie and her family at once, cause she is very friendly and she loves to be loved :)

To tsukitsune :)

by FCI standard - kishu, japanese akita and hokkaido have a white color written in standard (Sesame -red fawn hairs with black tips), brindle, red, black, black and tan, white)

By kai, shikoku, and shiba - white colour is by us - disqualificated and not acceptable, and these dogs cannot be bred more.

In the past all of these breeds were the various forms of one dog - dog using to hunting, in various districts.

When we meet white shiba, it is very problably that there is in it still much blood of kishu or hokkaido :)

And, in fact - Your white shiba is very alike to many hokkaidos!!! :)

Some cream markings can show when we cross red and white dogs, or these colours-lines are in the couple`s blood. As well by japanese akita (FCI share the japanese akita and american akita), as by hokkaido. But crossing red and white it is not prohibited, it is acceptable. Of course, when you have a hudge population of breeds, and You can choose amoungs many different stud dogs, from various lines and in various colours - you can choose the best one in the same colour. The best situation is when you cross red to red, black to black or black to black and tan, or sesame, or white to white. Most of japanese do so, but there are many white/cream hokkaidos. You can find it sometimes on the pictures of japanese breeders. Sometimes the dogs are in very very light red, so You cannot say if it is gold or red? The same is by akitas.

Crossing  only white to white is also not so good, because then they can loose a black pigment which is very needed by hokkaido.

Aha, it it natural that KANGAI means something ;) - it means exaclty what she was from her first days until today

kangai (n) strong feelings; deep emotion; (P)

You can check it also :)

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

ewa

ps. on one of our site www.hokkaido.info.pl  exactly here www.hokkaido.info.pl/innejaponczyki.html

you can find all of FCI standard for six national japanese breedss - in English :)

• edited April 2008

Hi Ewa! Welcome!

You beat me to it, I was going to mention that white Akita are OK and Kishu are white as well.

• edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum Ewa. Your hokkaidos are gorgeous :)
  • edited November -1
    Welcome Ewa! I cannot wait to see the little fur face and for puppy breath kisses!! Those are always the best! SealedTongue out
  • edited November -1

Welcome, Ewa!

Your description of little Kangai is beautiful
    - it is obvious that you love what you do and you love your dogs!
    Kangai can only be the best kind of dog coming from you!

Thank
    you for the information on the color standards, I never intended to
    show my shiba, she was an orphan without papers any how, but I always
    thought her coloring was so smart, I couldn't understand why it was
    unacceptable! I love my cream shiba either way!

And Kangai has the most beautiful meaning, she was named from the heart!  

• edited November -1
    Jamie, Jamie, Jamie! It's actually happening...I'm so excited for you! Let me repeat what others have said: You best spam us with stories and pictures early and often or I'll unleash my little Joey monster on you! :-P Ewa: Welcome to the forum! Thank you so much for the information. I have been thoroughly enjoying the photos on your website for months!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!! I can't wait to see more pictures :)
  • edited November -1

Jamie. CONGRATS. YOu must be so excited Kangai is incredibly beautiful and from Ewa's description has a sweet, sweet disposition.

Ewa. WELCOME.  

• edited November -1
    Hi Ewa, glad to see you here. I think that Kangai is going to the right hands. Congratulations Jamie ! :)
  • edited November -1

Congrats and how exciting!! what a pretty dog! Kangai looks really similar to Kiba!

• edited November -1
    Yours Kiba or my Kiba? Just kidding Laughing In white (cream) japaneese dogs we could clearly see many similarities.