HONOLULU, HAWAII - Kiba the Kai is FOUND!

edited August 2014 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Friends in Hawaii -

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/laf/4502528322.html

Kiba, who left our home for his new home in Honolulu, Hawaii on Monday, has gone missing. He made it safely to his new home, then was lost while out on a potty break (on lead).

If you know of anyone in the Aina Haina area of Oahu, it would be wonderful if you could pass this info on to them.

Kiba loves food, but is probably pretty scared now so he may be skittish, luring him with food is probably the best to secure him.

Comments

• Oh no! I hope he is found soon! :(
  • erg... :(
    did he slip the collar or is he still dragging the leash? that gives me some hope!
  • He slipped out of his collar. :(
  • aw. god i hope he's found safe :(
  • I got some friends to share the info. with people in Hawaii, so at least we're trying to spread the word, and will just hope the little guy is found and gets home safely!
  • Any news on this? I got my grandfather, who grew up in Hawaii and still has family and friends there, to send it to everyone he knows in the area. Hopefully Kiba can be found. I met the sweet guy when picking up Hanzo, they are brothers, and I hope he's returned to his home.
  • Thanks. No word yet, unfortunately.
  • Still nothing?
  • Nope, nothing. :(
  • Shelters haven't had any recent turn ins?
  • I've been checking petfinder and the Oahu humane society page regularly hoping hell pop up..
  • Shared with my Hawaii friends.
  • Still no word? Any sightings? :(
  • Nope, nothing. I'm guessing he will not be found now.
  • :_( ugh this kills me and i only got to play with him for a short time, I can only imagine how the family and you and jen feel. That little guy was special, and such a love bug..
  • this is so heartbreaking, Im so sorry to Kiba's family and Brad and Jen.
  • We're really heartbroken. We had him for 9 months and had gotten really attached to him.
  • I am sorry! With no sightings I thinking theft. It does not matter the reason, my heart goes out to all of you.

Snf
  • This is so sad :(

Wasn't there one of your kai lost in fl also @BradA1877? I vaguely remember reading about it a while ago although I don't remember the outcome.

Its absolutely heartbreaking..I can only imagine.
  • The Kai that went lost in FL was years ago. But yes it was very sad. :(
    Brad maybe you need to have your puppy owners buy 1 year of Tagg service before the pup leaves you. Not so much for the owners, but for the pups..
  • You can't ship a dog with a Tagg on them.

We've had 4 runaway Kai, three of which are from our program, one was from Classy Kennel.

The one in Florida was Mochi, she was the first, and she was from Classy. She was on her way to her new home in Florida and got lost at the airport when her crate was dropped.

The next was Taka, she was lost for several days but eventually trapped and now lives with Marsha. She was lost in transport to Marsha's, she was spooked by a loud sound from the back of a truck and slipped out of her collar. She was lost in MO.

The next was Mishi, who was one of our pups out of Nio x Haru, who had to come back to live with us (at 3 years old) after his owner couldn't keep him anymore. He made it fine to us, lived with us for a few months, then we homed him with Adam (who owns Nio and Mari). Mishi jumped out of the window of his (moving) car and ran off. Two days later he was found dead on the highway.

The 4th is Kiba, who is from Kibou x Ayu and lived with us for 9 months during his quarantine period before he could go home to Hawaii. We did a LOT of work with him to prepare him for this transition, but I guess it wasn't enough. His owner even flew out here to visit with him and bond when he was 6 months old.

So, long story short, it's VERY HARD to rehome a Kai Ken.
  • @brada1878 does this mean the Shakakko? (The one in Ca living in the field) was finally trapped?
  • Fuck... I forgot about Shakko. :(

He was such a treasure, I think I've subconsciously blocked him out of my memory.

He was Mishi's littermate. There is only one surviving pup from that litter, living with Kel.

This is why we retired Haru and Nio early. Most of these dogs are related to them.
  • Sorry didn't mean to bring up another sore point. I thought there would be good news on that subject.
  • Oh wow.. I knew about the Kai in Florida since we lived only a couple of hours from there. She was never found was she? I never knew about these other ones.. Poor Mishi.. I can even imagine the feelings...
  • :-( sorry to hear of all of this. Sending support to all of you guys from South Australia.
  • :( :( :(

Its a very sad list. I didn't know about Taka and Mishi.

it does speak to how hard it can be to rehome Kai and how strong the flight instinct can be......

• I did ship Arashi with his Tagg activated this time, as an FYI. There was no issue from the shipping and he arrived safely.
  • This was the main reason I flew with Akuma when I shipped him to Ryan and Ana (since he was older and at great risk of bolting). That isn't at all meant to make anyone feel bad for not traveling with the Kai when shipping or anything, and that would be unreasonable most of the time due to expense and time and so on. It was just an idea I wanted to try with him since I wasn't sure if he would even work out, and it worked very well. That really sucks Hawaiis quarantine period is so long.
  • edited June 2014
    You did perfect with Akuma @lindsayt .... And Arashi.

I tried to ship from Denver with a Tagg and they FREAKED OUT at me. :\

With the Mishi thing, what's crazy is we homed his dad (Nio) to Adam after the Mishi situation, Nio transitioned perfectly.

I'm still not clear on what exactly triggers this crazy flight instinct. I thought I had pinned it down to (inheritance and) two dogs: Nio and Haru... I would NEVER EVER expect an Ayu pup to have this type of flight. It's why we chose Kiba for Hawaii.

Same with Kibou - he lives in a yard with only a 4' fence and never runs off.

We're floored by this Kiba situation. I didn't expect this at all with him. The Mishi thing, I hate to admit, but after Shakko, I was not surprised.

Taka was surprising too tho. Well, Mochi was too, but that was the first. Losing little Mo was devastating.

Truthfully, it honestly makes Jen and I not want to breed Kai anymore. :(