Yamabushi no Tsukiko (Tsuki)

edited June 2014 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Figure I'll start the thread now! We picked her up last wednesday, she was lovely on the drive back, though had a few accidents at the start of the drive. We've been keeping her house training going, and she's been introduced to my sister's 11 month old border terrier. They've been playing slightly rough, but Thor has been learning his boundaries with her. Is mouthing and "snout" pulling normal? I just want to make sure and ask. =)

She's been an amazing puppy so far! A few accidents here and there, but it's definitely a learning experience! Taking her to the vet on monday, and looking for good puppy classes that same day.

Here's some cellphone pictures to start off =):

On our way home:

First, and second day home:

And sleeping on my arm:

Comments

• Congrats Cameron!! She's so cute. You guys are going to have a great time together :)
  • Such a cutie!!! Enjoy the puppy stage and never stop taking pictures! They grow so fast. :)
  • tsuki is so cute! I love how dainty Kai girls look. The last picture is my favorite.
  • Awe, she's super cute. Love her inquisitive face. The first picture with her sitting on a towel reminds me of when I picked up Meitou (my Hokkaido) from the airport last year. I had four or five towels piled on my lap because I was terrified he would end up peeing all over me during the two hour drive home. I was lucky that he didn't.
  • We had a 15 hour drive home from colorado. It was hard on her at first, but she was pretty good about 6 hours into the drive haha :)

Thank you all!
  • Ahh! She is so freaking adorable with those ears. :-D

Congrats on bringing her home!
  • CONGRATS! She is so freaking adorable!
  • Congrats!!! :)

me wants puppy! :((
  • Congrats :)!
  • She is so precious! She looks a little darker than Mika. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get photos of her where you can actually see her haha. We might have to go outside for a little photoshoot :]
  • OMGee, she has the prettiest face! Congrats, enjoy puppyhood.
  • Congratulations! She's so cute! I'm super jealous of this cuddly litter haha

Having a Kai is so rewarding, and personally I think they're "easy mode" when it comes to training. I think you and @TheSquatchQueen are going to be spoiled by how quick your girls pick up commands/training haha :P It's maybe 10 repetitions and they start to figure it out, then another 20-30 to have it down pat.
  • Soooo cute! Congrats!
  • She sits down perfectly already :)

Now I just need to work on everything else then enroll her into puppy classes.

She's a mischievous little one though. And loves to chew on anything she can haha
  • Mika is like a little piranha! She loves toys but always goes for our fingers and toes instead. And her new nickname is "Roomba" because no matter how clean I think my floor is she always finds something to eat haha
  • Tsuki is the SAME WAY!

She always goes for our fingers and toes, and finds every little thing to chew on. Haha

The sisters are alike!! Just Tsuki has a slight lazy streak, where she'll sleep all day, and be hyper some of the time XP
  • Yucca used to be a little finger biter. We would call her carpet shark cause you would see her tail up in the air circling you like a shark fin then CHOP! Took a while to break her of it but once we did she was so gentle
  • How did you break her out of it? Tsuki is very gentle most the time... then CHOMP! She comes close to breaking skin.

• I love all your kai pups' nicknames!
    Juno was Li'l Munch and Matsu was Mighty Bitey!

fortunately, they all learn what's right eventually. I allowed gentle mouth play, but if biting got too hard, I say Nope! and get up and leave the game. A trick one of the trainers taught us is to practice a little mouth handling (gently, briefly cupping the chin or muzzle, lifting the lip to look at the teeth, opening the mouth to look at the teeth or as if you needed to give a pill) and place a small treat onto their tongue! What a nice surprise!
  • I laughed so hard at carpet shark and Room a! Those are great nicknames!
  • Whenever she would bite we would immediately stop playing & completely ignore her. Now with dogs I've had in the past it would only take a week or 2 for them to get it but Yucca took much much longer. She didn't stop biting til she was about 6 months. we had almost given up because we were starting to think that she would never get it but then one day BAM, it clicked. I think a big part of it was her adult teeth were done bothering her and she was starting to settle down. What ever you do, stick with it! These dogs are stubborn!
  • Stubborn is a good way to put it... :P
  • I've had similar issues with Hanzo. He thinks mouthing our hands is great fun. He's mostly gentle about it and honestly, it's more our fault because we sometimes tolerate and even encourage it. So when you say they're stubborn, I totally agree.

If they get into the habit of something, it can be a bear to get them out of it unless you have the right incentive. It took weeks longer for Hanzo to learn down because we were trying to capture it, rather than lure it and he just wouldn't get it. I think it was mostly because we had drilled 'sit' so much that by the time we got to obedience class, his default was 'sit' and he didn't like to lay down while we're standing. It took some tasty raw chicken that my wife treated him with to get the whole concept of 'down.' Now, 'down' is his default behavior, with 'sit' just the thing to do on the way to laying down. That's okay by us because it's harder to spring at your face and muzzle-punch you from a down, than a sit.

On the other hand, when it benefits or hurts them or the incentive is high enough, they are quick to pick stuff up, often the stuff you don't want them to, like what the nail clippers look/sound like. But we put the dog bells on the door to signal the when the door to the outside is going to open. I literally attached the bells, rang them with my hand, opened the door and let the dogs out and he experimented that night with ringing the bells to get the door to open. He only needed that one example to try it and a few times of me consistently producing an open door to cement in the behavior. Now when he really needs to go out, he'll start by tapping it with his paw, then escalate to gripping it with his mouth and shaking it loud and long until we let him out; he shows he's 'stubborn' again in order to get what he wants.
  • We've been doing the "ouch!" and walk away whenever Mika bites so hopefully once she is done with the teething stage in a few months she will stop. One thing we have noticed is that her jaw strength is AMAZING for something so tiny. She can grip a toy and you can lift it up in the air and she will still be hanging on! It's really quite impressive. Our other dog's favorite game is Tug so once they figure out how to do it together it will be really fun to watch.
  • @TheSquatchQueen, they will! Tug is Kona and Kimber's favorite game to play together...here's a short video from back when kimber was smaller hehe
  • @mdokic Haha I love it! I've always wanted to get one of those toys but I was afraid Keanu's teeth would just shred it immediately.
  • It's funny, my girls were always rough with it but never to the point when it broke anywhere...little Hazuki got a hold of it for a whole 2 min when he was at my place and broke off a piece lol! He was only like 10 weeks old i think?

Silly dogs. :)
  • The bells on a door is a good example of how quickly they can pick things up (if it gets them what they want of course). We had the same experience. It took us showing Yucca once that the bells ring then the door opens for her to get it. Now anytime she wants to go out, like when there is a squirrel in the yard, she rings it
  • Question for people who live in hotter climates:

My room in my house gets about 5 degrees hotter than the rest of the house when the air is off, even though it's 75 in the rest of the house, it's 80-85 in my room.

So my question is, do Kai's adapt to hottish weather?

Tsuki doesn't like being in my room at night because of how hot it can get, she starts panting and is quite restless in the heat.

• edited June 2014
    We lived in Florida til Yucca was about 9 months and she did fine though we did keep our house fairly cool. If she's uncomfortable, panting ect maybe get a fan or run the a/c or open a window at night. They have these awesome bladeless fans that work really well. She can lay in front of it if she gets hot