Shikoku & Akita, Recipe for Disaster?

edited May 2014 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hey Everyone!

I have a couple question which I was hoping someone on this forum could answer.

I've decided I want to get a Japanese Akita as a companion to my year old Shikoku. Is this asking for trouble? Are there any strange personality clashes I should expect between these two? Does anyone have experience with this type of pairing? I imagine they're both quite energetic and could probably keep each other on their toes. I also have a thirteen year old Shikoku female that enjoys peace and quiet more than running and playing, much to the puppy's disappointment. Would this be trouble for her?

I have experience with large and primitive breeds having raised and trained a wolf hybrid and a couple huskies. Having said that, none of them could compare to the amount of effort needed to raise the Shikoku puppy into the well behaved monster he is today. I know ultimately, their obedience is up to me and the amount of time I put into it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hmm, i'm certainly not an expert (having ever owned 1 dog), but wouldn't sex matter more than breed ? (so i've read).
  • Hi Eric! Good to see you here. :)

Shikoku are a concern for me with any breed of dog, because of how relentless their style of play can be. I have heard (but don't have much experience with Shikoku in person) that they can be punks who do not back off when the other dogs indicate that they're done. This could definitely be a problem with a strange teenager or adult Akita, since they really do not appreciate rude dogs and will not hesitate to correct the offender - which could escalate to a fight.

However, I see much less of a risk if the Akita is raised with the Shikoku, specifically if the Shikoku is the older one of the pair. The Akita puppy will learn the Shikoku's play style while it is young enough not to take offense easily. The owner will need to make sure that the Shikoku never overwhelms the puppy, separating them when the pup indicates that its had enough - usually by sticking close to the owner's legs, hiding under furniture, tucking its head and tail down, etc. Wait for both to calm down before letting play resume. This way the Shikoku learns to temper its rough play and the Akita doesn't start fearing or holding grudges against the Shikoku and learns that you will mediate the situation on its behalf.

Gender is definitely a concern as well - with a rowdy young male, I would get a female playmate of any breed but especially if you're going for another Nihon Ken or primitive breed. Hopefully the older female will accept a female puppy since she'll be too young to be a rival.

As for activity level, I think you will find that Japanese Akitas are significantly different than Shikoku or even Huskies. They will run and play in bursts with encouragement and participation from their owner or other dogs, but don't tend to do so on their own. When nothing exciting is happening, they conserve energy (AKA lie around like a couch potato). They are not very drivey compared to the smaller Nihon Ken. They're not particularly social with strange dogs, but are very adaptable to the dogs and play styles they grow up with. They'r not for everyone, but in my opinion, easier to train and handle than a Shikoku or Shiba. (Again, having no first-hand experience trying to train or handle those breeds, just owners telling me they're really difficult.)
  • Maybe @CrimsonO2 can weigh in on Shikoku stuff...
  • Idk much about the JA's but my Shikoku boy is reasonable when playing with other dogs. He's still very much a punk and will push other dogs but he also understands when another dog says to 'back off' or if he's hurt them somehow in his roughness. He'll back off for a couple seconds but most of the time he'll go back for more just as soon. But he does calm down and after the initial excitement and rough play he'll often go about his business or lay down if he's worn himself out. But that's only because I've fussed at him enough times when he's bullied other dogs that he knows he needs to behave himself.

I think only you will be able to tell how much of a punk your shikoku boy is. How does he act with other dogs? Males and females? Is he relentless or does he take 'no' for an answer? Has he been around puppies before?
  • I don't have experience with either breed, but I'll throw my two cents in anyways.
    I have 3 female dogs and no problems, but they are all spayed. We had turf wars early on with my Shiba and Kai, but they were resolved quickly with no injuries. My Chihuahua never posed a threat to them I guess, because we have never had territory issues with her. I have noticed my older Shiba has been calmer since we got our chilled out Kai. Maybe it's just age, but I think it could also be one dog influencing the other.
    I hope that makes sense and I have no doubt that, whatever you do, you'll make the right decision for you and your dogs. :)
  • edited June 2014
    Hey @PoetikDragon, I would weigh in on Shikoku but since @Eric has both a 13 year old Shikoku female and a 1 year-old male (his male, Roku and my Kurama are day-boarding roomies at the same vet), I'd venture to say he knows Shikoku play style as well as I do. :D

I will say that my 4-year old female, Kurenai plays relentlessly and as youthfully as my juvenile and though he'll tuck his lazy tail down when he's overwhelmed, as soon as I come to his rescue, he goes right back after her for a sucker punch.

Nice to see you on here Eric!

Jesse
  • Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm glad I finally got back on too. Need to make sure to participate more. I'm missing out on some great opportunities to socialize my boy more.

I have noticed just how much of a punk the Shikoku really is. Its striking how similar they are in personality to wolves. They love to bully, especially if it gets a reaction out of their 'victim'. And they're SO mouthy. Unfortunately, this can come across as vicious to other people that come near. He never bites, but no one thinks that when a strange dog is placing their teeth on your arm. My boy's favorite thing in the world is to chase squirrels because they always react by running up a tree. They chatter at him the whole time, which he gets such a kick out of it.

Gender was definitely a concern with me for the most part. That's always something I've noticed is universal with most dogs, so I was definitely going to look into a female JA. I had considered looking into an Akita rescue and get an adult, but @PoetikDragon makes a good point. An adult might be set in their ways where a puppy can learn how the older Shikoku is where an adult might not be able to. I do like the sound of dog that'll be a couch potato when I'm being a couch potato though.

@Dragonfly makes a good point as well. My Shikoku has never been around a puppy before, but he is quite rough when he's around other dogs. He can be down right mean to the older female, but only when she reacts with little barks and yips. If she doesn't react, he leaves her alone. Its weird with strange dogs though. They react like they instantly don't like him, but he spends his whole time posturing and staring until they react. Its just another example of him being a punk. I think I need to get him into some more social situations, besides his visits to daycare at the vet.

As @Myabee09 mentioned, it could be something with age as well. I had the older female for about a year before we got the puppy. She's respectful, quiet, and well behaved. It definitely didn't prepare us for the personality of a shikoku puppy.

It sounds like you have your hands full with those shikoku, @CrimsonO2. We still need to get that play date set up and maybe get them all worn out at one time. Its amazing how good these monsters are at getting those sucker punches in. =)

Also, it’s a long time in coming, but I should make a formal introduction of Roku and Yana here on the forums, even though Yana is probably peppered throughout already. I'm sure a few of the members here have a puppy from her.

Thanks again!

Eric
  • Hey @Eric,
    We'll have to wait on that playdate between Kurama and Roku as Kurama goes in for his Triple Pelvic Ostheotomy (TPO) tomorrow. He'll be convalescing for a couple of months. My 4-year old female could definitely use the exercise though. I think you still have my number:) PM me if you don't. I'm happy to set up play dates.

Jesse
  • I had 4 Akita Inu and 2 Shikoku Ken of various sexes and really didn't have many problems.
  • i agree with everything said above re: the opposite sex being better. My shikoku is a PUNK. He really gets in the other dog's face. He does not back down and when the other dog growls (telling him they have had enough), he WILL fight. The only male dog that he gets along with is his son. Even then, they get into arguments and I have to break it up and give them their own space. Kaiju LOVES and adores my older female shiba, though. He also gets along with other female dogs too. However, he was like this since he I got him (1 year) so to avoid fights, I don't take him to the dog park nor the day care center (which doesn't allow non-neutered dogs anyhow). He was re-homed to me because he could not get along with other male dogs.
  • Maybe think about a Hokkaido? From what I have read and owning a Hokkaido myself, they have similar play styles to the Shikoku. Both are punks who do not always care if the other dog is done. Our poor Shiba doesn't get left alone for too long. The Hokka is very much in your face kind of breed.

Just a thought !