Kai girls in heat

edited March 2014 in General
Those of you with Kai girls, did your little lady change at all when she came into heat?
Tavi has been in heat for about a week, and has been more vocal, noticeably softer in temperament, slightly clingier, bit more distracted/wary in public and has a new found love for sniffing everything. In fact, I didn't even realize that she was in heat until I noticed these weird behaviors.
Experiences ? After their heat do they snap out of it ? Is a heat kind of like a 'fear period' ? Thanks. :)

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Different females respond in different ways to their first heat, or any heat.

Ayu, Tavi's mom, get's hyper when she is in heat.

Haru, Ayu's half sister, gets very clingy and kinda emotional.

Kumi get's very affectionate and silly toward us but pretty intolerant of the other dogs.

Nori, Kumi's daughter, acts like Kumi but with the clingy qualities that Haru has (which makes sense because Nori's father, Ritsu, is related to Haru's sire and dam).

Come to think about it, one thing I love about Ayu is that when she's uncomfortable she gets clingy and hyper. This makes it very easy to work her through things that she is uncomfortable with. So, perhaps her hyperness when in season is a sign she is uncomfortable. Maybe Tavi is like her mom, and is uncomfortable too, but shows it in more of a "Haru way" than an "Ayu way".

Anyway... Yes, they eventually go back to "normal". No worries. :)
  • I find female Kai to be exceptionally hormonal dogs, which makes them rather emotional creatures.
  • Kona's (Tavi's half sister) first heat was different than her second...the first heat she sounded a lot like yours, she got really clingy and just kinda sleepy in general.

Her second heat she was still tired all the time, but a lot more grumpy (did NOT want to be moved if she was sleeping, was not very tolerant of Kimber when Kimber really wanted to play and Kona was trying to sleep, so i had to watch them carefully), and she kind of grew intolerant of other dogs in general? Mostly with little yappy dogs, but she can be intolerant of big "puppies" as well. It calmed down a bit a couple months after her second heat, but it's still there. I hear that that can calm down after 2 yrs of age, but we'll see. :) She's SUPER flirty with males now, THAT'S for sure lol!!

Kimber (Kumi's daughter) I don't think has come into heat yet, but I hear her sister is just a little out of it. But you know how it is, it's normal to be tired. Not a fun thing :P
  • Femal Kai are sooooooo emotional when in heat.

• Yeah, Yucca (Kimber's sister, Kumi's daughter) is in heat & had a significant mood change. She is normally very bouncy & hyper but so far she has spent her entire heat just laying around or sleeping. She's now starting to get playful again so I believe she is nearing the end. Speaking of which, on average, how long to Kai heats last? I know they don't have them as often as less primitive breeds so are they longer?
  • Speaking of which, on average, how long to Kai heats last? I know they don't have them as often as less primitive breeds so are they longer?
    Their heats should last the same as most other dogs. Kumi is typically about 2 weeks.

Interesting that Yucca is in heat already, Kumi didn't come into her first heat till over a year. I remember being worried about it (and I bet I even posted about my concern).
  • @BradA1878 Wow, over a year? That would have me worried too. Yucca started as soon as she turned 8 months. She is right at two weeks now & I think she will be done either today or tomorrow. Her mood is almost back to normal & her "swelling" has started going down
  • @Brada1878, Jen said she didn't come into heat until 9 months, not over a year! Was it really over a year? Because then I won't worry so much about Kimber...I so can't tell with her :(

Also, Kona's in total lasts just under a month (between all the cycles)...bleeding for about 1-2 weeks, then fertile for about 1-2 weeks..
  • Oh, wait... maybe I was wrong then. Jen would know better than me, @mdokic ... I suck at remembering time-lines and dates. All I know is we were worried.
  • Hahahaha...I thought so, so just wanted to make sure ;) I'm worried with Kimber! I did the q-tip thing like Jen recommended, and i see some blotches the color of dried blood (like brownish), but very little and then she doesn't show much other signs of being in heat??
  • For her first heat, I think the size of her vagina will be the most telling thing. It gets much larger once they hit their first heat.
  • Yeah, I remember that with Kona..I was like "oh HELLO." and then the next day she came into heat lol. Maybe kimby will just be late :P
  • Kazue came in for the first time at like 9 or 10 months
  • Ah! Good to know :)
  • I don't have a Kai girl, but I'm paranoid my akita girl is going to come into heat before I spay her, and so I kept reading this thread and thinking oh, no, is she doing that? Is it a sign? (the boys keep smelling her more lately, but honestly, I suspect it's because she's Miss Messy Pisser, and pees on herself a bit).
  • edited March 2014
    Sometimes the larger the breed, the later they go into heat, so you might be fine!

Also, Zora reminds me so much of Kimber (pee-wise) lol!! She had the longest streak of nothing and I thought we were good! Now she JUST unloaded one morning on the carpet in our bedroom, and I can't get the smell out, so she's done it a few times...I need to rent a carpet cleaner or something...the spray is not enough for the amount of pee :(
  • @mdokic--having had a marking war go on when we first got Nikki, at somepoint no amount of steam cleaning will get it out. just lots and lots of febreeze always.
  • I get this stuff at Home Depot can't remember the name o-ban or something like that. Not expensive and works real well. They even have one that is lavander scented. You can also add it to the steam cleaner.
  • I'll look into those Stacey!! And febreeze is great, but makes kimber sneeze, so ill spray and make sure she stays out of that room for the day :)

• It is pretty good. Helps breakdown the stain and remove the odor. Works great when I have young pups that have frequent accidents. For me it works as well as natures miracle, but a fraction of the price.
  • Sometimes the larger the breed, the later they go into heat, so you might be fine!

Also, Zora reminds me so much of Kimber (pee-wise) lol!! She had the longest streak of nothing and I thought we were good! Now she JUST unloaded one morning on the carpet in our bedroom, and I can't get the smell out, so she's done it a few times...I need to rent a carpet cleaner or something...the spray is not enough for the amount of pee :(
    Yeah, my breeder thought 8 months at the earliest, but I'm paranoid! ;) She's actually going in next week. I'd wanted to wait til she was a year old, but finally realized it was not practical for us for a lot of reasons, so decided to just wait til she was past 6 months.
  • I know this is continuing a non Kai girl digression, but I thought I'd add that I took my Akita girl in to be spayed today and my vet said she was right on the verge of coming into heat--her ovaries were already starting to change, but she was not actually there yet, luckily. I guess we just made it! Phew!