Food Obsession Normal?

edited February 2014 in General
Hakubi has over the past few months developed a food obsession. When we first got her she didn't eat much but we put it down to settling in. She was very fussy and wouldn't eat canned or dry dog food. Maiko made her a mix of chicken, rice, pasta and veges which she would eat but in a relaxed way.

After a while we tried her on regular dog food again and she ate it but recently she's become completely food orientated and gets so worked up over anything edible. She spins in circles and and rushes to eat as if it's her last meal. She's a lone dog so she doesn't have to compete for food. She's not food protective. She growled once at Maiko when she had bone but I removed it from here immediately and she hasn't growled since. I can take her food from her with no problem other than her drowling all over my foot.

As soon as she finishes she's at the window looking for more food. She currently gets dry food in the morning. A jerky treat after her walk, and wet food of an evening.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    My dogs drool for food too. My Kai use to drool like crazy for his kibble, but now he just runs to his eating spot to wait for it. My Shikoku has matured into a major foodie. She eats her dinner and then immediately hunts for more. I think it's normal as long as they don't become* protective or aggressive about it. If she just REALLY enjoys food, then be happy! Picking eats are no fun! Use it to your advantage and teach her tricks!
  • If being food crazed is not normal behavior, then personally I would get a fecal done to rule out any parasites. Sometimes with intestinal parasites, the pup will get hungrier since they are internally competing for sustenance.

If parasites aren't found, it could also be that she is not getting enough to eat. Track her weight and see if she is losing any on her current diet. If a dog gets less than their body requires, then they will be continue to look for food.

If it's neither of those, then it could be what @Hinata23 said. She could be a major foodie and it just took her some time to get comfortable enough to show it. If that is the case, then you have hit the training jackpot as a food motivated dog makes for an easier dog to train.
  • I agree with both @Calia and @hinata23 - Not sure about the fecal check but sounds like checking into and very good advice. But a Pup who is food motivated is EXTREMELY easy to train. While to pup is young , you may want to encourage them to calm down before eating as well. Have them sit in place etc, but use it to you advantage. Teach the pup his ABC's. :)
  • I would have to second the fecal check @Calia mentioned.

My Shiba was very food obsessed but I thought it was because some dogs are just born that way.

Long story short, did a fecal test, she had tapeworms. After I got the medication for it, and got rid of the worms for good, she no longer devoured her food like before. Although I have to mention she got a little pickier with food :-/
  • Katana is OBSESSED with food, and things. Drop it in his bowl and he'll eat it, even rocks. He's been like that since I got him, and he's been dewormed several times so I know it's not parasites. Most of the sleddogs at the kennel I was at in Alaska acted just like him.
    But if it's not normal for you pup, I'd get her checked for parasites and deworm if needed.
  • Most of the sleddogs at the kennel I was at in Alaska acted just like him.
    LoL, Titan (and his whole litter) can attest to that. They all acted pretty ravenous and the breeder actually got them fecal tested several times just in case. She thinks they inherited it from the dad since he can be a piggy, but regardless she's excited for their good appetite as it will definitely make long runs easier.
  • edited February 2014
    but regardless she's excited for their good appetite as it will definitely make long runs easier.
    Some mushers select for that since it helps ensure the dogs will eat what's offered to them when worked hard on the trail. A picky dog can go downhill quick of they won't eat or drink during a hard race. I'd want that in my dogs as well if I worked them really hard like that.

If I hadn't gone to the kennel in Alaska, I would've totally freaked out at Katana's eating behavior, but after seeing all but a select few dogs eat like that, or even faster, and after hearing mushers talk about how in sleddogs it's a good thing, I don't find it to be a problem at all. I just keep an eye on him when he's eating to make sure he doesn't choke.
    He's the exact opposite of Conker, who eats very slowly (practically one piece at a time), and often refuses to finish a meal.
  • Thanks for the input guys. She's not a pup, she's maybe 6-8, but we've only had her 8 months.

She's not losing weight. In fact the opposite she's put it on but it's most likely fat retention for the colder months. She was 21kgs when we got her and after a month of daily walks was down to 18. She's now up to a healthy 20 but with her winter coat as well.
    Maybe as was said she's feeling comfortable now and has gotten into her routine.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if anything changes.
  • It might have something to do with the fact that she's an earthquake dog? Experiencing the earthquake and tsunami, being on her own and fending for herself might have made her really anxious when it comes to resources.
  • That's certainly possible. The fact that we know nothing of her past makes it difficult to know if this is learned behaviour or just her personality.
  • When Yucca was younger she didn't have much interest in food. She would play with her dinner for a while before eating it & it was a little tricky training her cause she could care less about treats. All her rewards had to be affection instead. It wasnt until she hit 6 months that suddenly food became the greatest thing in the world. Nothing changed in her environment or in the way we feed her, she just all of a sudden started loving food. It was almost an over night thing. Before we had to kennel her with her food bowl so she wouldn't be too distracted to eat and now she starts bouncing when she sees me getting her food ready. This also made her awesome to train because of her drive for treats. I agree with consulting a vet about it but it wouldn't surprise me if she just suddenly decided food was great. Have you changed her food recently?
  • Locked in the brig with her dinner ay? That would be Hakubi's idea of heaven. [-O<

I've never rewarded her with food for being obedient always a good pat or an ear scratch. It sounds like she's much like Yucca. Vet said she's fine but it could also be a side effect of her heartworm medication as all dogs react differently.