Tracking?

edited February 2014 in General
I want to get my pup started in tracking- currently, she had to find her food underneath and between a maze of obstacles and clothes. And I'm only giving her 2 pieces of kibble to smell. It's all good until she knocks over the food bowl. Lol Any other ideas? Any other techniques to try while she is still young.

Also I do plan to have a trainer work with her, were going to go to a hunting ranch ( found in MD) pretty cheap and can rent a field for 25$ a day!!

Comments

• Personally, at this age I would stick with basic obedience for now and develop that before really getting into any of the more specialized dog activities. With any activity you do with your dog, a good foundation in obedience makes for easier and better controlled (ie, not having to chase after her as she disappears into the woods) time when training in other activities. Sign up for basic obedience classes, or get some books and do some training sessions on you own. Just remember to keep everything positive, this breed generally doesn't do well with aversive training.
  • @calia- she is currently in akc star puppy class, this is her second week ( excited) I started little fun tracking games because I read that between 6-12wks dogs are imprinting(sp?) and it's the best time to introduce her to new things. Not full blown training just getting her use to using her senses etc. What did you do with your pup at this age ?
  • Kiyoshi starts scent work/tracking training next week and I'm excited! I'll ask my trainer about some fun activities for you :)
  • Thanks @dragonfly that would b a big help. Are you doing it for SAR or hunting, or for fun..?
  • Suzanne Clothier and John Rice wrote a neat little book "Following Ghosts" about tracking training in a very natural way for the dog.
  • @wrylybrindle thanks I'll check it out... Amazon?
  • possibly! If not, Im sure you can get at suzanneclothier.com- I think its only like $8 and while I wouldnt say its the only book you need, its good to have in your toolbox as part of your total tracking education plan.
  • You may also want to do an internet search for local tracking clubs in your area.
  • That's a good idea as well thanks guys
  • @Shikoku, at that age I basically focused on socialization and obedience with Miyu. As I said in other threads, my area lacks in any decent puppy class so she has only been in regular obedience classes. Interesting enough, she does enjoy tracking wildlife during our hikes in the woods. She'll go nuts when she finds fresh tracks and, after following her, we'll sometimes find the animal(s) who made them.
  • She is enrolled in a very good puppy class this is her second week. I just want to expose her to everything. And get her well rounded. Emphasis on ppl and dog friendly ! However my shiba is teaching her how to fight. She even learned to ring the bells to go outside
  • @Shikoku- potentially for SAR but mostly for fun :)
  • Tracking a young dog seems fine; it's different work from obedience. I have a friend who got AKC TDs on at least three Akitas, including two pups just past their 6-month birthdays, and got the first TDX on an Akita.
  • good to know. I mean I agree with the obedience first. But it also help to start honing those skill while she is a baby.
  • Suzanne Clothier and John Rice wrote a neat little book "Following Ghosts" about tracking training in a very natural way for the dog.

I cant find this book, and the sellers on amazon have lost their mind. Selling it for $530+ a laughable far cry from 8 :( . ANy other suggestions.