Meitou Hokkai Komatsu

It's January 30th..... Meitou's birthday! About high time for his own thread, right?

Sadly, there are no pictures here. YET. I'm taking Meitou on a belated birthday hike this weekend and I'm waiting to post some pictures until I can get some pictures from that. Lame? Perhaps. But it's my plan. At least there will finally be photos of Meitou eventually. ...Right? ;)

I hope you can all forgive me for A) taking this long to make a Meitou thread; and B) not having any useful content yet. I promise. It is coming.

So....better content coming....this weekend!

OK. So I decided I'd stick in the picture I linked in a different thread awhile ago. So now there is ONE picture. ;)

Comments

• Happy Birthday Meitou!
  • @Losech Meitou says thanks. He thinks today has been pretty great. He got old roast for breakfast, a chicken back for dinner, and a birthday cookie from a local pet supply store (actually, the one where the photo in the first post came from, called Pampered Paws). Then I took him to play at a school playground where we explored the area and played on a kiddie playground. He didn't want to go home. Now he's playing with one of the toys I got him today.
  • Looking forward to more pictures!
  • Happy birthday! :D
  • YAAY!! can't wait to see more pics!! and happy birthday meitou!! :D
  • Happy birthday! I'm excited for more pictures! :)
  • edited February 2014
    I imported Meitou on April 4th, 2013 with the help of Shigeru. I remember how in our email exchanges I asked what Meitou was like compared to the other Hokkaido pups and I was told Meitou was "the mellow one" of the bunch. Yikes. ;) I did have people tell me how mellow he seemed as a young puppy. He's much more psycho now, haha. But still pretty good. So far (and I say so far hoping I do not jinx myself going forward) living with an intact male dog isn't really all that different than living with my spayed female Border Collie. They both like to pee a ton on walks and, the last few months Meitou has hardly humped anything. Except the cat. He has decided the cat must be tackled and humped at every opportunity. He's better than he used to be about leaving the cat alone, but it's still a madhouse with those two.

We've had some bumps in the road, but he's been a great dog so far (if sometimes stressful, lol). Our two biggest hurdles right now are that he doesn't take toys or treats out hiking or on walks so rewarding behaviors I want or distracting him from things has hard. The other issue is that in the last month or so he's decided to start being reactive to other dogs while we're out (not always). I expected this, but I also expected I'd also be able to distract him with treats or toys, and I can't. Even things like cheese and some meats don't work any more. I'm working on getting him into a class for reactive dogs on leash to be safe, just trying to find a class that's during a time I can actually attend.

Anyway, what people really want are photos, right?

To start things off, here are some pictures from July 2013:

Yes. The cat is a freak.

This. Face.

• edited February 2014
    He's so handsome. How much does he weigh and how tall is he?

Conker was good with most dogs until he got older, then he turned into a grumpalicious buttface. He DOES NOT like other dogs rushing him, walking slowly is sometimes okay but I usually do not allow on-leash greetings 'cause he normally reacts in bad way. He's much better off-leash when meeting other dogs.

LOL cat is not a freak, but simply a cat. They do what they want your opinion does not matter. (I would love to have a cat but three of my dogs would eat said cat, so, no cats for me.)
  • I'm really sorry for the multiple posts. I didn't think all the pictures would fit in one. Sorry.

During this hike, he fell in a patch of the river that moved a little too quickly for him to be be able to get back on the rocks easily.

I had to save him.

This is what he did:

He gave me a kiss, and then had to cuddle a little, lol.

He was only traumatized for a little while.

He really liked to stick his head through the sides of the bridge to watch the cliff jumpers.

There is no Meitou in this shot.

He was even nice to babies. He really liked this lady and her baby.
  • Aww, Katana would've been like "NO PUT ME BACK IN THE WATER YOU HIDEOUS BEAST!!!" He's like, a duck, or something. Loves water a bit too much. He tries to swim in puddles... Not cool since most of my puddles are actually mud.
  • @Losech Actually, funny you should ask about his weight. I take him with me to most of the elderly dog's vet visits, so they were both at the vet to get weight this past week. I put him on the scale several times because it fluctuated a bit, but he's around 38.6 to 39 pounds. As for measuring his height? Yikes, he thinks tape measures are the devil. I had to use a very unscientific method of using a string on him then laying it next to the tape measure. And it's been maybe two weeks since I checked, so my recollection is fuzzy, but... he's around 19 or 20 inches, I think. I'll check again once I find my string.

And thank you. I think he's pretty handsome, too. :) People always tell me what a beautiful dog I have.

As for the cat... I love cats. I grew up with cats before I had dogs. I don't know if I'll be able to have any more in the years to come due to Meitou (he either wants to hunt them or hump them mercilessly).

Meitou is better at being in the water. Still has never taken a real swim, but he loves to wade in to water. Maybe Katana could teach him to love water more.

And there are still many more pictures to come. ;)
  • August 2013 beach trip! Meitou thought sand was fun, but the ocean was evil. Couldn't trick him into the water after the first attempt.

He was so frantic about digging at one point people asked me if he was digging for clams, lol.

There was a tiny little waterfall. Meitou was trying to drink it.
  • Our hike with @LoboSpam !!

Between in two dogs.... Meitou was the one that wanted to roll in horse crap. *sigh*
  • This is the face of a puppy that really wants back in the house:

And more hikingphotos:

The dirt falls right off him when he shakes, lol.

Last year I drew this to illustrate how different they are in their loves:

The only thing I would change now? Add in the Border Collie to Meitou's list of loves. She pretends he isn't alive, and he loves her and is always trying to get her to play. The fact I called Meitou the bad dog is just because he is more naughty since he's a puppy. He's not really bad.

The two dogs in question:

Eating a dehydrated banana chip.
  • That is so funny. My BC/Lab mixes ignore Katana most of the time, or snark at him for being obnoxious. He thinks Sasha is his girlfriend and stalks her all the time. Anywhere she goes, he goes.
    I saw a small breakthrough yesterday though. They were sleeping on the floor together, and Sasha was resting her head on his back. It was so cute!

He looks huge in this shot compared to Amy. He's closer to the camera and she is always lying down.

And here is a series of photos from January 30th with one of his birthday toys:

(That black blob in front of the couch is his beheaded bear)

Look! A video!

He napped for a little, and then...

WACHOW!

• edited February 2014
    @Losech Awww, cute! Amy is still of a no-touchy mood about Meitou. However, she thinks he is useful sometimes because when he chases the cat she can still try to do some herding.

And....belated birthday hike pictures!

We've been practicing his "randomly jump up on crap" skill.

There is a tiny dog somewhere over there...

Ducks and herons are apparently super awesome to watch. If dogs were allowed in this lake (no swimming due to fish) he would have been in there.

Meitou wants everyone to know that posing by this stump was dumb. Watching ducks was way better.

No. He did not actually end up in the water. He is an acrobatic ninja,

Action Meitou!

He CAN pee like a man-dog!

There was a lot of this going on.

I smell dog pee.

Found it.

This is Meitou actually performing recall with enthusiasm. I was shocked that he actually came back, haha. I never actually expect him to.

Running free.

Twice the proof.

Lame.

He only stayed up there long enough to get two shots.

This is actually more recall happening. WHATHOW?

Afterwards we went to Home Depot for ceiling paint.

And last of all the photos I have.... From February!

• I forgot some hiking pictures! Shame on me.

More watching of ducks and herons.

I know it's blurry, but I thought the tree was cool. Plus, it explains the next shot.

Meitou recall witnessed through the hole in the stump of that tree.
  • FINALLY photos!!!
    Meitou is same than Maruto, they are very similar, almost "clones" LOL!!!
  • Love seeing these pictures of Meitou's adventures. :)

Love your kitty reminds me of one I used to have. Your border collie is lovely too.

Bella when out in distraction she would not take treats. over time she gotten better and will take treats there is moments when the walk is too exciting, but she has gotten better hopefully Meitou improves as he gets used to each area more and more.
  • The wait for spam was worth it. Thanks for the pics!
  • LOVE all the photos of Meitou!!! So cute and fun! :D
  • SOO many awesome pictures!!! :D He's so handsome and very photogentic lol
  • edited February 2014
    @Saya Thank you for the encouragement. The odd thing is he used to take all sorts of treats in these places, but now he doesn't. He'll still take treats at Home Depot (offered by employees) and at some local pet supply stores where he steals the free treats they leave out for dogs, lol. But he doesn't take treats in the neighborhoods we always have walked or on trails we go to a lot, but he used to (well, not as much the trails). I'm still trying to find something that works consistently.

@Krisz Haha, I always thought Maru looked more muscular than Meitou, and more fluffy. Meitou is so thin. ;)

@mdokic @Dragonfly Thanks!

@TheWalrus I'm glad you thought the wait was worth it. :) And this time I come bearing more photo and video gifts...oh snow-time Meitou.

It started snowing on Thursday and Meitou's been loving it. Here are some videos from one of the play sessions we had in our backyard.

He sticks his face in the snow a lot. When we're out on walks he'll shove his face into the snow up past his eyes and just sits there like that. Never did have my camera on me when he did it. I tried to get a shot with my phone and somehow he always knows I'm about to take a picture and pulls his head out of the snow before I can get anything.

I don't think Meitou is very fond of the camera, hahaha. He tends to put his ears back a little whenever I take pictures of him. Goober.

Such a cute run, right?

He could smell something interesting.

He also tends to turn his head away from the camera right when I take a picture.

Or that happens.

Tired from all the snow. He took a nap. For maybe a minute.

(More coming)
  • So after playing hard in the snow, Meitou was introduced to an ocarina. My brother decided to practice and Meitou kept being super cute and tilting his head. He's done this for other things, too, but this is the first time I was able to catch it on video.

After the impromptu ocarina jam....

And later that night I decided to put snow in his water dish just to see what he would do. Apparently snow is great no matter where he finds it.

• yes, Maruto has very strong bones + strong muscular but they are very similar (in head type) :-)
  • I love the post-ocarina scritches!! :)