Meitou Hokkai Komatsu
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    It's January 30th..... Meitou's birthday! About high time for his own thread, right?

Sadly, there are no pictures here. YET. I'm taking Meitou on a belated birthday hike this weekend and I'm waiting to post some pictures until I can get some pictures from that. Lame? Perhaps. But it's my plan. At least there will finally be photos of Meitou eventually. ...Right? ;)

I hope you can all forgive me for A) taking this long to make a Meitou thread; and B) not having any useful content yet. I promise. It is coming.

So....better content coming....this weekend!

OK. So I decided I'd stick in the picture I linked in a different thread awhile ago. So now there is ONE picture. ;)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
    Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-01-30 21:51:31
  • LosechLosech
    Happy Birthday Meitou!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Losech Meitou says thanks. He thinks today has been pretty great. He got old roast for breakfast, a chicken back for dinner, and a birthday cookie from a local pet supply store (actually, the one where the photo in the first post came from, called Pampered Paws). Then I took him to play at a school playground where we explored the area and played on a kiddie playground. He didn't want to go home. Now he's playing with one of the toys I got him today.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

• TheWalrusTheWalrus
    Looking forward to more pictures!
  • SayaSaya
    Happy birthday! :D
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • mdokicmdokic
    YAAY!! can't wait to see more pics!! and happy birthday meitou!! :D
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    Happy birthday! I'm excited for more pictures! :)
    photo Kiyoshi-SteveNakatani-2014-1165gnew_zps67b88604.jpg
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I imported Meitou on April 4th, 2013 with the help of Shigeru. I remember how in our email exchanges I asked what Meitou was like compared to the other Hokkaido pups and I was told Meitou was "the mellow one" of the bunch. Yikes. ;) I did have people tell me how mellow he seemed as a young puppy. He's much more psycho now, haha. But still pretty good. So far (and I say so far hoping I do not jinx myself going forward) living with an intact male dog isn't really all that different than living with my spayed female Border Collie. They both like to pee a ton on walks and, the last few months Meitou has hardly humped anything. Except the cat. He has decided the cat must be tackled and humped at every opportunity. He's better than he used to be about leaving the cat alone, but it's still a madhouse with those two.

We've had some bumps in the road, but he's been a great dog so far (if sometimes stressful, lol). Our two biggest hurdles right now are that he doesn't take toys or treats out hiking or on walks so rewarding behaviors I want or distracting him from things has hard. The other issue is that in the last month or so he's decided to start being reactive to other dogs while we're out (not always). I expected this, but I also expected I'd also be able to distract him with treats or toys, and I can't. Even things like cheese and some meats don't work any more. I'm working on getting him into a class for reactive dogs on leash to be safe, just trying to find a class that's during a time I can actually attend.

Anyway, what people really want are photos, right?

To start things off, here are some pictures from July 2013:

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-02-03 00:42:06
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe

Yes. The cat is a freak.

This. Face.

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• LosechLosech
    He's so handsome. How much does he weigh and how tall is he?

Conker was good with most dogs until he got older, then he turned into a grumpalicious buttface. He DOES NOT like other dogs rushing him, walking slowly is sometimes okay but I usually do not allow on-leash greetings 'cause he normally reacts in bad way. He's much better off-leash when meeting other dogs.

LOL cat is not a freak, but simply a cat. They do what they want your opinion does not matter. (I would love to have a cat but three of my dogs would eat said cat, so, no cats for me.)
    Post edited by Losech at 2014-02-03 00:50:39
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I'm really sorry for the multiple posts. I didn't think all the pictures would fit in one. Sorry.

During this hike, he fell in a patch of the river that moved a little too quickly for him to be be able to get back on the rocks easily.

I had to save him.

This is what he did:

He gave me a kiss, and then had to cuddle a little, lol.

He was only traumatized for a little while.

He really liked to stick his head through the sides of the bridge to watch the cliff jumpers.

There is no Meitou in this shot.

He was even nice to babies. He really liked this lady and her baby.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• LosechLosech
    Aww, Katana would've been like "NO PUT ME BACK IN THE WATER YOU HIDEOUS BEAST!!!" He's like, a duck, or something. Loves water a bit too much. He tries to swim in puddles... Not cool since most of my puddles are actually mud.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Losech Actually, funny you should ask about his weight. I take him with me to most of the elderly dog's vet visits, so they were both at the vet to get weight this past week. I put him on the scale several times because it fluctuated a bit, but he's around 38.6 to 39 pounds. As for measuring his height? Yikes, he thinks tape measures are the devil. I had to use a very unscientific method of using a string on him then laying it next to the tape measure. And it's been maybe two weeks since I checked, so my recollection is fuzzy, but... he's around 19 or 20 inches, I think. I'll check again once I find my string.

And thank you. I think he's pretty handsome, too. :) People always tell me what a beautiful dog I have.

As for the cat... I love cats. I grew up with cats before I had dogs. I don't know if I'll be able to have any more in the years to come due to Meitou (he either wants to hunt them or hump them mercilessly).

Meitou is better at being in the water. Still has never taken a real swim, but he loves to wade in to water. Maybe Katana could teach him to love water more.

And there are still many more pictures to come. ;)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    August 2013 beach trip! Meitou thought sand was fun, but the ocean was evil. Couldn't trick him into the water after the first attempt.

He was so frantic about digging at one point people asked me if he was digging for clams, lol.

There was a tiny little waterfall. Meitou was trying to drink it.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Our hike with @LoboSpam !!

Between in two dogs.... Meitou was the one that wanted to roll in horse crap. *sigh*
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    This is the face of a puppy that really wants back in the house:

And more hikingphotos:

The dirt falls right off him when he shakes, lol.

Last year I drew this to illustrate how different they are in their loves:

The only thing I would change now? Add in the Border Collie to Meitou's list of loves. She pretends he isn't alive, and he loves her and is always trying to get her to play. The fact I called Meitou the bad dog is just because he is more naughty since he's a puppy. He's not really bad.

The two dogs in question:

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe

Eating a dehydrated banana chip.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• LosechLosech
    That is so funny. My BC/Lab mixes ignore Katana most of the time, or snark at him for being obnoxious. He thinks Sasha is his girlfriend and stalks her all the time. Anywhere she goes, he goes.
    I saw a small breakthrough yesterday though. They were sleeping on the floor together, and Sasha was resting her head on his back. It was so cute!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe

He looks huge in this shot compared to Amy. He's closer to the camera and she is always lying down.

And here is a series of photos from January 30th with one of his birthday toys:

(That black blob in front of the couch is his beheaded bear)

Look! A video!

He napped for a little, and then...

WACHOW!

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Losech Awww, cute! Amy is still of a no-touchy mood about Meitou. However, she thinks he is useful sometimes because when he chases the cat she can still try to do some herding.

And....belated birthday hike pictures!

We've been practicing his "randomly jump up on crap" skill.

There is a tiny dog somewhere over there...

Ducks and herons are apparently super awesome to watch. If dogs were allowed in this lake (no swimming due to fish) he would have been in there.

Meitou wants everyone to know that posing by this stump was dumb. Watching ducks was way better.

No. He did not actually end up in the water. He is an acrobatic ninja,

Action Meitou!

He CAN pee like a man-dog!

There was a lot of this going on.

I smell dog pee.

Found it.

This is Meitou actually performing recall with enthusiasm. I was shocked that he actually came back, haha. I never actually expect him to.

Running free.

Twice the proof.

Lame.

He only stayed up there long enough to get two shots.

This is actually more recall happening. WHATHOW?

Afterwards we went to Home Depot for ceiling paint.

And last of all the photos I have.... From February!

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-02-03 01:44:16
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I forgot some hiking pictures! Shame on me.

More watching of ducks and herons.

I know it's blurry, but I thought the tree was cool. Plus, it explains the next shot.

Meitou recall witnessed through the hole in the stump of that tree.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• KriszKrisz
    FINALLY photos!!!
    Meitou is same than Maruto, they are very similar, almost "clones" LOL!!!
    Itadaki Kennels - www.hokkaido-ken.eu
  • SayaSaya
    Love seeing these pictures of Meitou's adventures. :)

Love your kitty reminds me of one I used to have. Your border collie is lovely too.

Bella when out in distraction she would not take treats. over time she gotten better and will take treats there is moments when the walk is too exciting, but she has gotten better hopefully Meitou improves as he gets used to each area more and more.
    Photobucket
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    The wait for spam was worth it. Thanks for the pics!
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOVE all the photos of Meitou!!! So cute and fun! :D
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • SOO many awesome pictures!!! :D He's so handsome and very photogentic lol
    photo Kiyoshi-SteveNakatani-2014-1165gnew_zps67b88604.jpg
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Saya Thank you for the encouragement. The odd thing is he used to take all sorts of treats in these places, but now he doesn't. He'll still take treats at Home Depot (offered by employees) and at some local pet supply stores where he steals the free treats they leave out for dogs, lol. But he doesn't take treats in the neighborhoods we always have walked or on trails we go to a lot, but he used to (well, not as much the trails). I'm still trying to find something that works consistently.

@Krisz Haha, I always thought Maru looked more muscular than Meitou, and more fluffy. Meitou is so thin. ;)

@mdokic @Dragonfly Thanks!

@TheWalrus I'm glad you thought the wait was worth it. :) And this time I come bearing more photo and video gifts...oh snow-time Meitou.

It started snowing on Thursday and Meitou's been loving it. Here are some videos from one of the play sessions we had in our backyard.

He sticks his face in the snow a lot. When we're out on walks he'll shove his face into the snow up past his eyes and just sits there like that. Never did have my camera on me when he did it. I tried to get a shot with my phone and somehow he always knows I'm about to take a picture and pulls his head out of the snow before I can get anything.

I don't think Meitou is very fond of the camera, hahaha. He tends to put his ears back a little whenever I take pictures of him. Goober.

Such a cute run, right?

He could smell something interesting.

He also tends to turn his head away from the camera right when I take a picture.

Or that happens.

Tired from all the snow. He took a nap. For maybe a minute.

(More coming)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-02-09 14:38:26
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    So after playing hard in the snow, Meitou was introduced to an ocarina. My brother decided to practice and Meitou kept being super cute and tilting his head. He's done this for other things, too, but this is the first time I was able to catch it on video.

After the impromptu ocarina jam....

And later that night I decided to put snow in his water dish just to see what he would do. Apparently snow is great no matter where he finds it.

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• KriszKrisz
    yes, Maruto has very strong bones + strong muscular but they are very similar (in head type) :-)
  • I love the post-ocarina scritches!! :)
  • SayaSaya
    Love the play snow pics and video he's such a handsome dog.
    Photobucket
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Krisz More Maru and Seta pics, please. :)

@Saya Thank you!

@WrylyBrindle Yeah, he got pretty excited for the scritches. :)

----

This is inspired by the vet techs at the vet office I take my dogs to, because they can never say Meitou's name correctly, lol. (They're very awesome vet techs so this is just for fun, not because I'm frustrated)

A Handy Guide on How to Pronounce My Dog's Name:

His name is Meitou.
    This is not pronounced May-two no matter how many times you say it.
    Pronounce it like the month (May) and the thing at the end of your foot (toe).
    So, let's practice. May-toe. May-toe.
    Got it?

;)

Nicknames: Toad or Tato (like potato, without the po). Tato is usually what I call him. It all started because a little cousin couldn't pronounce his name. And the way she said it ended up sticking and his most used nickname.

Other random fact: People used to think his name was NATO. Uh....
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-02-13 22:01:37
  • like To-Mato...
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    That, too. :)

So during our big snow days there was one day I was out walking Meitou and I cam across a family sledding down a somewhat steep road. ANd I overheard one of the children say "Oh! A wolf!" Hahahaha, nice try, kid.

And today when I took Meitou to pick up some premade raw from one of my favorite supply stores there was a new employee and she asked what sort of dog Meitou was. I said, "He's a Hokkaido." And she asked, "What sort of mix is that?" She was honestly curious, not trying to be rude, so I just gave her a short explanation on the breed. I thought it was an amusing experience.

And today I also went to a craft store and I was told that the first 15 minutes after I left Meitou cried and howled (he does this when he think he is supposed to go with me). And for a forty-five minutes after I had left he waited at the door or tried looking out the window. I was told at one point he went outside, around one side of the house, and he howled there a bit. The family member relaying the story said, "It was almost like he was trying to call you back home."
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• KriszKrisz

A short video of Maru at Best in show ring: you find him 2:55.

http://ebugatta.tv/hu/nyitooldal/hirek/fehova-winter-dog-show-2014-02-15-bis
  • ShikokuShikoku
    That, too. :)

So during our big snow days there was one day I was out walking Meitou and I cam across a family sledding down a somewhat steep road. ANd I overheard one of the children say "Oh! A wolf!" Hahahaha, nice try, kid.

And today when I took Meitou to pick up some premade raw from one of my favorite supply stores there was a new employee and she asked what sort of dog Meitou was. I said, "He's a Hokkaido." And she asked, "What sort of mix is that?" She was honestly curious, not trying to be rude, so I just gave her a short explanation on the breed. I thought it was an amusing experience.

And today I also went to a craft store and I was told that the first 15 minutes after I left Meitou cried and howled (he does this when he think he is supposed to go with me). And for a forty-five minutes after I had left he waited at the door or tried looking out the window. I was told at one point he went outside, around one side of the house, and he howled there a bit. The family member relaying the story said, "It was almost like he was trying to call you back home."

How about this one girl told me she was 100% sure Athena is a shiba inu. Lol she has a cream shiba.

-------------------
    Location:MD/VA/DC. Pets: Athena- Shikoku and Hades- Shiba Inu
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Hopefully withing the next week I will have video documentation of this: Meitou is learning two new tricks. I'm teaching him "Kung Fu" (because I don't want to call it beg and I didn't think "sit pretty" worked for a boy) and he watched Amy getting treats for "wave" and started teaching himself that. So I'm thinking I need to get some "in process" video to document his process.

I'm not sure why I used so many quotes there.

As for a few small updates:

For the last few days Meitou has been taking treats on walks again. Not all the time, and he still doesn't always respond to them, but I found a couple things that at least work a little bit. Freeze dried duck and treats made from salmon. I'm also going to start dehydrating my own stuff (family members willing to led me their dehydrators) and I'm going to attempt (very carefully) to freeze dry something.

Meitou is also enrolled in classes for reactive dogs to nip his newly growing reactivity issues (with other dogs). I'm pretty excited for the class because I really need the help, lol.

....And I wish I knew some dogs Meitou could meet and play with. Amy is too old and doesn't like him enough to play usually, and most of the people I know with dogs have dogs who don't like other dogs or are old. He needs someone to rough-play with.

Oh! @lindsayt If you want to use any of the pictures I posted of Meitou on the HANA website, feel free. Or I can try to get a better photo of him if you would like.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• ceziegcezieg
    All of these Meitou pictures are awesome @WhoBitMe :) He's such a happy guy, and handsome too! You have some really great hiking locations. Ren and I are super jealous!
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @cezieg Aw, thanks. :) We do have plenty of awesome places to hike around here. Tons of 'em, lol. Meitou loves to be out hiking. And I think he's pretty handsome, too. Though sometimes I tell him he looks like a girl because he's not very beefy, hahaha. Are you still moving out to Portland?
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• ceziegcezieg
    @cezieg Aw, thanks. :) We do have plenty of awesome places to hike around here. Tons of 'em, lol. Meitou loves to be out hiking. And I think he's pretty handsome, too. Though sometimes I tell him he looks like a girl because he's not very beefy, hahaha. Are you still moving out to Portland?

Haha well he's definitely a good looking pup, he's just streamlined vs beefy. Kinda like how Juno is a foxy runner and Matsu is a stocky wrestler. The plan is still to move out to Portland! I just need to graduate + get certified from my welding course and build up some work experience (probly in the oil field for a year). That way I can pick up a shipbuilding job in Seattle or heavy duty powerplant/high pressure pipe gig around Portland. Otherwise it'll be $12/hr shop work :P So it's still the plan, just had to be pushed back a little bit due to job market!
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @cezieg Totally understand the job stuff. :) Well, if you move to Portland (vs Seattle) I can point you to some good sources to find awesome hikes.

~

And now for some photo spam. A couple Fridays ago after work it wasn't raining so I took the dogs hiking. We weren't out for long because it got dark pretty soon and Amy decided part way that she wasn't really all that excited to be out. We were able to find another trailhead to a longer trail that attaches to the one we were on so I can take Meitou there once the weather is a bit better.

I apologize for the quality of the photos. My camera did not like the low-light conditions and I'm not a particularly stellar photographer. And Meitou just does not cooperate and look at the camera.

IMG_9652

IMG_9654

IMG_9657

IMG_9658

IMG_9659

I almost expect him to slide away in this next pic due to the angle.

IMG_9660

IMG_9661

IMG_9662

IMG_9663

I unclipped Amy's leash from her harness. She can't go fast enough to get into trouble so I felt like it would be fine letting her be off leash (I had done this once before). And you know what? She wouldn't move. At all. No matter how much a coaxed her. So she got attached back up to her leash and she was willing to move again.

IMG_9665

IMG_9673

IMG_9678

IMG_9689

One of these dogs is photobombing....

IMG_9690

IMG_9691

IMG_9699

IMG_9700

So Meitou recently experienced an air mattress for the first time. He loves to poke it with his nose.

IMG_9706

IMG_9707

IMG_9708

IMG_9709

IMG_9712

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-03-17 00:56:03
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    IMG_9715

IMG_9717

Amy is waiting back there because I would throw her treats back there.

And here are some "wave" and "kung fu" videos. And apparently some turning the head to the right because somehow he thinks I'm training him to do that, too.

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    So, Saturday (March 15th) I went to a Barn Hunt trial with Meitou. It was fun, but I felt pretty self conscious the entire time because I was terrified, lol.

"What am I doing here?"

IMG_9721

"Who are all these people and why do they all have dogs?"

IMG_9722

"More of them!"

IMG_9724

He doesn't know why he is still in the car. Once we get somewhere he thinks that means he shouldn't have to wait in cars.

IMG_9725

And of course he had to smell things.

IMG_9727

While we were waiting for our turn for the instinct test we got to meet @lindsayt and Ike and Farrah. I have much respect for Ike, he put up with Meitou amazingly well. Because Meitou is very fond of being inappropriate and licking other dogs in very personal places. I'm really, really sorry about that. There was a cream Shiba there, too, that really excited Meitou for some reason. It was cute because I saw the cream Shiba and they saw Meitou and we're like "cousins!"

Anyway....Meitou's turn for the instinct test came and I had no idea what he was going to do. Honestly, I was betting that he'd poop or pee in the ring and get disqualified even though I pottied him several times beforehand. I also didn't think he would willingly do a tunnel or jump up on anything. Not that those things were required for instinct, but they were set up to see if the dog would do them, I guess.

Anyway, here is some video of Meitou's instinct test:

After saying hi to the volunteer he smelled the closest tube and seemed pretty interested. And then threw himself down to try and roll in the smell. I was told many times afterward that my dog that the most unique find.It didn't take very long.

I also did a novice run with Meitou, but we didn't do so well there. From the get-go he was trying to roll on things and I kind of paniced and called "rat" without really getting him to explore. Again, I was totally terrified and let the panic get to my head. But at least everyone watching got a good laugh at Meitou and he was having a god time. He even tried to give @sandrat888 a kiss when she went to show him where the rat was actually hidden.

The video of the novice run didn't turn out (way blurry and Meitou was behind hay bales for most of it) so I didn't bother to upload it. Plus I felt kind of dumb during that one, hahaha.

Afterward Meitou and I wandered around for a bit and found a gazebo to take pictures in.

IMG_9732

IMG_9733

IMG_9734

IMG_9735

IMG_9736

IMG_9737

Then he got to meet Farrah. She had to tell him off eventually because he was all up in her business, lol. Again, sorry @lindsayt

IMG_9740

IMG_9741

Later we went to watch some of the more advanced dogs.

IMG_9744

IMG_9745

The cutest snacks ever...

IMG_9746

IMG_9747

IMG_9748

I had a lot of people approach me with "You're the one with dog breed that's impossible to pronounce," "What's his beed again?" and "I'm not even going to try and pronounce his name." LOL Meitou's name also got horribly misspelled on the run order roster. Either I had heinous handwriting that day or his name is harder to spell that I expected. ;)

I left a little after 11am since I needed to get back home to get ready for Meitou's class that was in the afternoon. He was pretty tired after that. ;)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-03-17 00:32:10
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    And a few last pictures from tonight.

Trying to get some decent shots of his face.

IMG_9756

IMG_9757

IMG_9758

He fell asleep with his head behind his bed which is up against the wall because I have to take it to our class and I never got around to putting it down.

IMG_9760

IMG_9761

And the next pictures are a series to show the happy relaxed face when people pet him just right.

IMG_9762

IMG_9763

IMG_9764

IMG_9765

IMG_9766

IMG_9767

We also went walking on a river trail today, but I didn't take any pictures (rainy!). But Meitou found horse poop to roll in. Good job, Meitou, Good job. Luckily the rain washed it off.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• lindsaytlindsayt
    Paging Dr Meitou, proctology exam on Ike!

It was super awesome to meet you guys, and he is one cool dog. Ike is very chill and I am glad he could be a good neutral dog for him to meet. Meitou sure has a forward greeting tho!

Here is a video of his Novice run. He was very fun to watch!
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
    www.hokkaidousa.wordpress.com
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @lindsayt LOL Thank you for uploading that video. I'm glad you liked Meitou. I was afraid he would do something that would make people dislike him and I want NK forum people to like him. :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• lindsaytlindsayt
    I really like him! We all understand the NKs, and I don't think he would do anything naughty that 1000 Shibas hadn't fiendishly pulled already.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @lindsayt I'm glad to hear that. :) He seems to be a bit much for some people so I worry. But he can be very charming when he wants to be. He hasn't slept in his kennel at night in a long time. He sleeps outside my bedroom door or at the base of the stairs (right across from my door). It makes mornings pretty fun to have him be the first thing to greet me. And of course Amy is often nearby (though she has some places she loves to sleep in other places in the house).
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    On a hike today Meitou tried to climb a tree today. What he really wanted as to get into the creek that was a few feet below us and the tree we were near had broken and was bent into a L shape that stuck out over the creek. And he cried to climb up to the bent part which was cute, but also terrifying because it was in no way thick enough to hold him.

On Sunday I had also taken him on a "hike" (more like a nature walk since the old dog was tagging along so I went somewhere flat and easy) with my parents. My dad was telling me how Meitou is mostly a good dog but has a little "wanpaku" (which he said means something like "naughtiness.") and that if I get another Japanese dog I should could consider naming it wanpaku. Which is cute, but also seems like it would come back to haunt me, lol.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• SayaSaya
    Love these pics and videos Meitou such handsome guy. :)
    Photobucket
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Saya Thanks! I was wondering, did Saya always like raw organs and whole fish? I've been trying to branch out the raw part of Meitou's diet. He refuses to eat organs (kidney and liver that came with a turkey). And when I first gave him a whole fish he ate everything except a little bit of organ. The other two times I tried he only ate the body, and left the head and any organs. He gets smelt on a regular basis and loves it, but the packages I buy have no heads or organs. I was wondering if there is a way I can get him to be more willing to eat these things, or should I just not worry about feeding those types of items if he doesn't want to eat them (lol, he's even picky about pre-made raw brands).

Anyway, Saturday night one of my sister's and I went to see if a mutual friend was at work (retail). Since she was, we decided we should buy something. The following photos are results of our purchases.

IMG_9769

IMG_9772

IMG_9780

IMG_9781

IMG_9782

IMG_9783

IMG_9784

IMG_9786

(Notice in the next photo how Freaky Cat has his feet up against the sliding glass door in an odd pose)

IMG_9787

IMG_9795

IMG_9796

IMG_9797

IMG_9798

IMG_9799

IMG_9800

IMG_9801

IMG_9803

This last shot was hard to get, because Meitou did not appreciate the hood being up. Everyone thought he looked like a little gangster.

IMG_9804

Just to put this out there, no, we don't normally dress up our pets. But we ended up buying these because they were cheap and we thought they would make cute pictures.

Surprisingly, Freaky Cat was totally chill with the whole thing. It helped we fed him a lot of lamb lung treats, which he loves above almost all other things. Meitou was not so fond. He didn't want to move, and when he did it was a little stiff. He pawed at the hood so I only put it up for a few seconds. He also got treats during this and it seemed to help. ;)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    Meitou was wondering how he was supposed to put his front paws in that muff pocket on his back! :D
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @WrylyBrindle LOL That could be it. It would be pretty hard to get his paws in there.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• SayaSaya
    Love the kitty pics. :3

Saya when she was new to raw she did not like kidneys, tongue or heart. She eventually grew to like these and is excited to eat stuff like heart, kidneys and tongue, but some dogs just don't like organs..

With Saya I offered her normal meals and offered tiny piece of frozen kidney before giving her normal meal most times she refused it. I would just put it back in freeze to try another time.

If she was getting either ground meat, egg, canned sardines or salmon I'd put the small piece of kidney in those and she'd eat it since it was hidden. sometimes with the egg she'd pick it out.

I'd continue to offer tiny piece and eventually she would eat it. I then increased the size to 1oz and eventually to 1 and 1/2 oz then 2oz. I did same for the heart and tongue.

Recently I got a big order from hare today whole quail which she loves. I decided to try whole sardines and herring got four bags of sardine and four of herring each bag is 2lbs.

Saya loves the sardines she always liked the canned ones, but never had raw ones before. She gets excited for them, but when I tried a whole herring she only ate the head and then left the rest. I offered it another day and she refused it turning her head away like it is yucky and walking away or trying to bury it.

I then cut a portion up into small pieces mixed with ground ewe and she ate the ewe and the herring bits mixed with it. I did that again mixed bits when she got ground ewe or honest kitchen zeal and egg.

She has had whole herring a couple times this past month and ate it all no problem.

There are some owners on other dog forums where they have to mix the liver and kidneys with ground meat in order for the dog to eat them. Some give it cooked and the dog would eat it fine cooked.

Some say tough love works, but sometimes it doesn't know amount of tough love would get Bella to eat pheasant she didn't like it even putting salmon oil on it she just licked that off and left the pheasant. Luckily Saya loves wild game birds so she ate it. plus since she liked other things it wasn't necessary for her to eat it so I didn't push it.

I'd try hiding the items in stuff like ground meat, or something the dog likes, then cooking it and if cooking works then do that and eventually work where you cook it less and less then just sear it then raw. and if cooked is only way that might be only way.

Cooking does reduce some of nutritional value some, but it is still fine. I sometimes cook things like gizzards, bits of liver and boneless meat and once done cooking add water too it to boil bit for little broth and use the meat and broth as kibble topper for Bella.. She and Saya likes it kinda like a doggy soup..
    Photobucket
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    He looks a lot like my Kishu, Kishin. Kinda funny.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Saya Oh, thanks for the tips! Not sure why I didn't think to try some of those.

@BradA1878 He does look a bit like Kishin, doesn't he. :) Hmn, and now that Kishin has been brought up....I think the forum could use some Kishin pictures. Just sayin'.

----

Upcoming update: Took Meitou hiking near the coast and went to the beach afterward. Photos and video coming soon.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Okay. Here are the pictures and video I took during Meitou's coastal hike/beach exploration from the previous weekend. A bunch of family and one of my friends came also. For the most part Meitou had a good time, though the rude off-leash dogs were a dark spot on an otherwise good day. The state park we hiked in has a 'dogs must be on leash when on the trails' rule, and a couple had their dogs loose jogging with them and as soon as they saw Meitou their dogs rushed him. Boo.

I apologize for the all the doggy butt-shots. He was attached to my waist and it was the most common view.

Once upon a time a little skinny Hokkaido boy went for a hike.

IMG_9805

He had to stay on leash, so he stuck his tongue out in displeasure.

IMG_9806

But at least there were tons of logs to climb and things to pee on, so it wasn't a total loss.

IMG_9807

And then, hark! Water to drink!

IMG_9808

IMG_9810

IMG_9811

IMG_9812

IMG_9814

IMG_9815

IMG_9817

There were many muddy boggy places, but that didn't stop the Hokkaido from pulling his human through them. Shoes and puppy toes got very muddy, even when all creatures involved tried to use logs to cross the ickiest bits.

IMG_9819

IMG_9820

Much to Meitou's amusement, there were many roots for humans to trip on. Tripping happened A LOT.

IMG_9821

IMG_9822

IMG_9823

IMG_9824

And of course all proper white dogs must roll in the mud.

IMG_9826

IMG_9828

IMG_9829

IMG_9831

IMG_9832

"What'chu lookin' at, Foo'?"

IMG_9833

IMG_9834

IMG_9835

IMG_9836

Meitou made an effort to randomly photobomb.

IMG_9837

Not here, though.

IMG_9838

IMG_9839

IMG_9840

IMG_9841

There was much pretending mushrooms were not clinging to trees.

IMG_9842

IMG_9843

IMG_9844

IMG_9845

IMG_9853

IMG_9855

IMG_9856

And this is right before the loose dogs made a stain upon Meitou's day.

IMG_9857

IMG_9858

IMG_9859

IMG_9860

And....here I must pause. I have a ton more photos coming, I just feel like they shouldn't all be in one post. I'm afraid the forum will tell me that my post will be too big otherwise.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-04-19 23:59:55
  • LosechLosech
    That looks like a really cool place to hike!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Losech It was pretty cool. It's at Oswald West State Park just south of Cannon Beach.

-----

The first epic vantage point had a big cliff, and naturally Meitou want to climb down it.

IMG_9862

IMG_9864

IMG_9865

This isn't a log out in the ocean. It was one of the many surfers out at Smugger's Cove.

IMG_9866

IMG_9869

IMG_9870

IMG_9871

IMG_9872

The second vantage was yet another cliff and....of course Meitou wanted to go out to the very edge.

IMG_9873

IMG_9874

IMG_9876

IMG_9878

Once the white Hokkaido puppy got into the sun, he decided he needed to become one with the sun glare and merge into the ocean.

IMG_9875

IMG_9877

As humans loitered at the viewpoint the little skinny Hokkaido reminded them of his love of peeing in tall grass.

IMG_9880

IMG_9882

IMG_9883

IMG_9884

Upon returning to the vehicles we drove until we found a picnic area near Arcadia Beach where we had lunch. At that point most people headed home, but one of my sisters, our close friend and I decided to roam Arcadia Beach before going home.

And those beach pics will be in their own post. ;)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    The beach was awesome, if windy. But it took me a while to figure out how to take decent photos in the sun. So I took a lot of video as well as photos to be sure I had some decent shots.

Otherwise they would have all been like this: A leg and a dog butt. Plus also my finger in the corner.

IMG_9893

IMG_9898

And there were jellyfish?

IMG_9899

And this:

IMG_9900

A good story always has digging in it, and sand is made for digging.

IMG_9901

IMG_9902

IMG_9903

The ocean vanished from this shot.

IMG_9910

IMG_9912

No one was sure what this was.

IMG_9913

Meitou wanted to drink their seat water.

IMG_9914

IMG_9915

One human started to write "Pokemon," and Meitou promptly peed on the the letter P.

IMG_9916

IMG_9917

A video of the finished product:

IMG_9925

IMG_9926

IMG_9927

IMG_9928

IMG_9929

IMG_9930

IMG_9931

IMG_9932

IMG_9933

IMG_9935

Who says it's windy?

IMG_9936

IMG_9937

IMG_9938

IMG_9939

It was windy enough to send that frisbee rolling on its side for a very long time.

IMG_9940

IMG_9941

IMG_9943

IMG_9944

IMG_9945

MORE DIG

IMG_9946

IMG_9947

IMG_9948

Sandy nose

IMG_9949

IMG_9950

Kung Fu on the Beach

IMG_9951

He kept touching his sandy nose my glasses.

IMG_9952

IMG_9953

But dogs just pretend they didn't put sand on your glasses and act like they have been digging the whole time.

IMG_9955

IMG_9956

Sand is good to roll in.

IMG_9957

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    And now for a video interlude.

(He like to kick things at me)

These last two crack me up.

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    After much digging and chasing there was a moment of resting.

IMG_0002

IMG_0003

IMG_0004

IMG_0007

IMG_0008

IMG_0009

IMG_0011

IMG_0013

IMG_0014

IMG_0018

A Meitou head

IMG_0019

IMG_0020

IMG_0021

Something seems different about your face today, Meitou.

IMG_0022

IMG_0025

IMG_0026

IMG_0027

IMG_0028

Climactic action shot

IMG_0029

Not really ready to head home.

IMG_0030

And the story ends in naps.

IMG_0031

IMG_0033

IMG_0040

IMG_0042
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Meitou looks like a fluffier Katana- he has those hokka eyes. I love his coat and tail!
  • LosechLosech
    Meitou is most definitely fluffier than Katana, who has zero undercoat right now, so he looks really scruffy. I don't think Katana will develop a super plush winter coat though, unless I move someplace really cold.
  • SayaSaya
    I love these pics such lovely place to go!

Oh yeah sea water Pearly, Junior and Dink were horrible with trying to drink sea water. :( Results were not fun. Loose poo.. They were always sneaking a drink before we could stop them nutty dogs.

Saya and Bella hasn't seen the beach yet we went to a lake in Wisconsin that had a little kinda sandy area dogs were allowed to swim. both had fun.. Bella got a leech on her that was fun.. it came off when we bathed her guess it didn't like the dog shampoo and water.

The first epic vantage point had a big cliff, and naturally Meitou want to climb down it.
    That would be Saya she always want to climb up or down hills and even steep hills she will go down if I let her. She does it so easily while I'd have hard time doing it. lol

He looks great in pics love his face so beautiful.

I have the pic problem with Bella who is white sometimes she comes out hard with pics especially when is is bright and sunny.
    Photobucket
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @WrylyBrindle @Losech It's funny to me that Meitou is "the fluffy one" because I always think of him as one of the not fluffy ones. ;) So far I have a hard time telling when he is in coat and when he's out of coat. He always seems the same to me, but randomly there will be a white fur dump and I'll think "huh, guess it's shedding time."

@Saya Glad to hear Meitou isn't the only dog that wants to scale cliffs. He and Saya can be cliff rebels together, lol. And ew about the leech. *shudder* Leeches are so gross.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-04-21 23:56:51
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Great photos! I miss the Oregon coast immediately after seeing these.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @lindsayt Yeah, the Oregon coast is awesome. I'm glad I live in a place that's only a few hours drive from a lot of cool places, including some great beaches. I'm sure Meitou appreciates this, too.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• sandrat888sandrat888
    Don't know if you saw the pictures of Meitou at the Barn Hunt trial. There are some nice shots of him. Also congratulations on Meitou passing the Barn Hunt Instincts test and got the RATI title. He is the first Of his breed with a Barn Hunt title.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @sandrat888 I did see some pictures of him. They were pretty cute, but I wish my face wasn't in some of them. :) Like the one with my face lurking in the corner. Thank you for the congratulations, I really wasn't expecting Meitou to pass anything. I had no idea what I was doing or what to expect from Meitou. So it was a surprise for me. I think it was mostly luck, lol.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    May 3rd---

This morning I took Meitou to another Barn Hunt trial. And I didn't go alone, lol. My father went with me the first time since he thought Barn Hunt sounded interesting (and he came this time, too), and since then he'd been talking about it a lot to some family friends...and convinced them to try it with their Springer Spaniel. So we all caravaned to the trial site.

I entered Meitou in the instinct test again, as well as novice. I wasn't feeling all that optimistic about our chances, but I figured as long as Meitou had fun then it was a worthwhile endeavor.

Meitou didn't pass the instinct test this time (he already had his title anyway). ;) He went and smelled the three tubes and the one he gave what I figured was his clear signal ended up being the tube with bedding but no rat. Go figure, lol.

When it came time for the novice I wasn't sure what would happen. Meitou has never been fond of tunnels, even as a wee puppy. At the first Barn Hunt trial he happened to go through a tunnel in instinct, so I knew he could do it, I just didn't know if he would. I've been working with him on jumping up on things so I wasn't as worried about that part. And of course I was worried about being able to identify the rat, because I still had (have!) no idea how to tell when Meitou has found the actual rat.

But! Somehow we pulled it off. After some running around he climbed some hay bales, so one out of three was out of the way. After some exploring of the ring the next element we completed was finding the rat. Meitou started sniffing a loose pile of hay and started to dig at it. When I saw there was a tube there I figured "well, if he rolled on the ground for rat bedding in instinct and didn't pay any attention to the totally empty tube, so if he shows some interest with rolling maybe this is the rat." Faulty logic, probably, but I decided to go for it and called Rat; and was surprised when it turned out to be the real rat. The challenge after that was getting Meitou through the tunnel. It took a little effort, but he actually did it. (And as a bonus, our friend's dog also passed her Novice run, and got second place in her height group; and they're talking about taking her out for it again). ;)

And the part people actually care about....Photos and video!

IMG_0043

IMG_0045

IMG_0046

IMG_0048

IMG_0050

IMG_0051

IMG_0053

IMG_0055

IMG_0057

IMG_0058

IMG_0060

IMG_0061

IMG_0065

IMG_0066

IMG_0067

Meitou's RATI ribbon from his first trial in March, and his qualifying ribbon for today's Novice run
    IMG_0073

Instinct

Novice

I got to see @sandrat888 run Koji and Taiyo. Koji is pretty awesome to watch and Taiyo was super cute!

Edited to add: Meitou was in heaven. There were horse droppings to roll in.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-05-05 01:48:59
    Congratulations!! That's so cool! Good Boy, Meitou!!
    Im not able to see the video, but your story was great- I can picture it!

:)
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @WrylyBrindle Thanks! And I'm sorry they videos aren't working for you. They loaded fine for me (using FireFox). Maybe they would work for you from my Flickr page?
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

I see it now- it just took a long time to load for me the first time. Yay, Meitou!!!
  • laurenmarielaurenmarie
    @whobitme , he is so cute! He is spitting image of our Hokka boy Oni. And I wonder if he is as crazy? Hahahaha
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @laurenmarie Oh, he is crazy. Oh so crazy. Sometimes we refer to him as "Freak" because, well, he can be incredibly odd. ;) Like licking the refrigerator or the couches. No chewing, just licking. Which then often devolves into tail chasing. You should add some new pictures of Oni to the forum! I'd love to see some recent pictures of him.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• laurenmarielaurenmarie
    @whobitme, we call Oni the freak also!! By far the weirdest dog I have ever owned! Loves to lick the shower and the shower curtain and has to get as close to you as e can, even if it means he is sitting in your chest or face! And he doesn't leave our poor Shiba alone for more then 10 minutes.

Does yours do the same thing? Is he winey?

I'll definitely post photos soon
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @laurenmarie Oh, Meitou is a pest to my elderly Border Collie. He loves her, but she does not love him. ;) She pretends he isn't there most of the time unless he's being "too hyper" and then she has to intervene and be the fun police (a very mean fun police). I don't think of Meitou as being super whiney. From what I gather he might be less noisy than other Hokkaido on the forum, though. But he does have his moments. But I find all his noises cute so it isn't a bother to me.

He talks a lot when his breakfast or dinner are involved, and sometimes for treats. He gets talkative randomly. He used to cry piteously when I would leave the house when he was younger. Now he's usually pretty good about it....unless I leave with the Border Collie and leave Meitou at home. Then apparently he pitches a fit, even if he has other people with him. He actually broke a floor lamp recently because he was trying to see out the front window after I left for a me-and-the-old-dog-only walk. Sad day for the pocket book, but now Meitou is much more careful about the area around the window. Still cries, though. He actually tries to force his way out the door now when the old dog goes out. He didn't used to do that.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• laurenmarielaurenmarie
    @whobitme, I love the talking! Oni will usually talk back to me when I talk to him but he is very chatty to begin with. It's the crying that gets on my nerves. He hears someone or a dog walk by and he is at the window crying. If I can figure out how to post video then I will post one of him talking

I can only imagine what life is like for the boarder collie, Hokkas are like tornados! Luckily our Shiba is only 4 so he still has spunk and wants to play but it took 8 months for him to accept Oni and not try to kill him, but I feel bad when he is resting and Oni walks over to him and stands on top of him or bites his neck.

Do you plan on getting any other NK breeds?
    Post edited by laurenmarie at 2014-05-09 01:26:16
  • laurenmarielaurenmarie
    And how is he with strangers and vets?
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @laurenmarie Yeah, the poor old dog. She recently turned 15. She was pretty spry until a little before I brought Meitou home, but it's been the last 6 months where she really has slowed down and just can't move very fast (which has created a strange shark maneuver when she tries to snap at Meitou when he zooms by her).

As for adding more NK, I've determined I won't be adding another dog to the family until Meitou is over 2 and after my BC has passed on. I don't know that I can handle more than two dogs. ;) If I were to get another NK (which I am considering) I'd probably get another Hokkaido. But some of the other breeds interest me. I'd want to meet some of the others in person before really considering them, though.

For strangers - He likes his people better than strangers. But he is perfectly willing to greet a good many strangers. But some he doesn't not want approaching him. He can be head-shy if people bend down and/or reach straight for his head. He prefers slower greetings....unless he doesn't. Some people he loves right away for who knows why. And some people he barks at from a distance. While he is usually okay with most strangers he really doesn't like being handled by strangers.

Which leads to the vet...

He's been several times because when my Border Collie was doing poorly health-wise and he seemed to be fine with the vets and the vet techs. But they weren't doing anything to him so he always seemed happy. The last time he went for an actual Meitou visit he flipped out (due to several factors, I think). It was not the best moment at the vet. But once the trauma was done and one of the vet techs gave him cookies he was on his way back to being friendly. I think in the future he will take some special care at the vet.

What's Oni like?
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• laurenmarielaurenmarie
    @whobitme, OMG!! Oni is the same way with strangers! He flips on people when they try to put there face too close to his while touching his head. And some people he likes right away and others not do much. He has to get to know them on his terms. But my friends took him for two nights while I got married recently and after a little while he warmed up to them but he freaked at first!

And vets are not too good! He screams bloody murder if the vet just looks at him and they can't even touch him. Then he pees when we come back to get him. I can't even attempt to trim his nails without a fight an I don't like to stress him.

And here I thought he was just weird, our two are completely alike! It makes me feel better ;)
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @laurenmarie They do sound like they are very similar. :) I haven't had Meitou's nails trimmed in a while and I'm afraid he'll disagree with it now. But! He's always had this quirk where he scratches the ground after he pees, so I've been encouraging it especially when he is on a sidewalk and it has been keeping his nails pretty short.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Over the weekend a family member celebrated her birthday, so I made human-only cake and dog-only cake. Meitou isn't such a big fan of puppy cake, apparently, but Amy loves it.

I also bought the dogs a kiddie pool since we had a few hot days and the day I finally put water in it....it rained, lol. Amy has ignored it and Meitou drinks out of it. I put him in it a few times. I put a few of his toy in it to make it a little more interesting. So far he's not a fan, but I'm optimistic. And I realized all the rubber balls I have for the dogs have holes in them...so they sink in the pool. Alas.

I'm pretty sure this first shot accurately depicts how Meitou feels about me putting him in the pool.

IMG_0078

IMG_0079

IMG_0080

IMG_0081

IMG_0082

IMG_0083

IMG_0084

IMG_0085

IMG_0086

IMG_0087

IMG_0088

Old Dog Loves Eats.

IMG_0096

Practicing commands before cake.

IMG_0099

IMG_0100

He tried to eat this on the carpet, but I herded him out onto the deck.

IMG_0101

IMG_0102

I think there is an insult embedded somewhere in those tongue acrobatics.

IMG_0104

IMG_0108

IMG_0109

It's the eye of the cupcake
    It's the thrill of the food
    Rising up to the challenge of our stomachs
    And the last known survivor
    Takes a cake from the hand
    And they're watching us all with the eye of the cupcake

IMG_0115

IMG_0116

IMG_0117

IMG_0120

IMG_0122

(lol...Amy just hijacked Meitou's thread)

And here are some videos of Meitou and the pool. Love the delicate toe taps.

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    So I've noticed that on one side....Meitou has a hair where the top half of it is black. Uh, the snap? I'm not sure how long that's been there because I hadn't noticed until this past week. It is pretty hard to notice normally...but now that I've found it I can't stop trying to look at it. At first I thought he had picked up some Amy fur, but no. It's seriously attached.

And on a totally different note.

I found Meitou baby pics! I know I have more, but for the life of me I can't find them. These are off my phone.

These first four are from his very first day home. The day of infamy where he explosive pooed all over my kitchen three times in one hour.

IMAG0894

IMAG0895

IMAG0896

IMAG0897

And a little older....

IMAG0904

IMAG0909

IMAG0924

IMAG0925

IMAG0934

IMAG0936

IMAG0937
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    And naturally I can't help but massively photodump whenever I get around to posting pictures (Sorry!), so here are more off my phone. Because why not?

IMAG1006

IMAG1014

IMAG1015

IMAG1018

IMAG1019

IMAG1021

IMAG1023

IMAG1026

IMAG1027

IMAG1028

IMAG1034

Back when his tongue had hardly any spots.

IMAG1060

IMAG1065

IMAG1067

IMAG1068

A random vet visit.

IMAG1153

IMAG1155

IMAG1165

IMAG1173

IMAG1216

IMAG1233

Pics from a different vet visit. Meitou likes to chill on the scale.

IMAG1237

IMAG1238

IMAG1239

IMAG1240

IMAG1241

IMAG1242

IMAG1243

IMAG1244

IMAG1245

IMAG1246

Derp 1 and Derp 2

IMAG1247

Again

IMAG1248

And from this last February: Meitou burying his head in the snow like an ostrich.

IMAG1272

IMAG1273
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• SayaSaya
    Love these pics. :) Yummy looking cake. Saya and Bella love their dog cupcakes too.
    Photobucket
  • tmdtmd
    So cute! Looks like explosive pooing really takes it out of a pup :))

Hanzo does that same thing with the scale. I've treated him enough times when we get to the vet office that anytime he's within reach he'll hop onto the scale and doesn't want to leave until he's been given a treat.
    - Hanzo (Kai Ken), Pharaoh (JA/AA tweenie), Meg (Border Collie/Lab mix)
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Saya Yeah, Meitou kept thinking he wanted some whenever he saw Amy get something. But once I actually gave him one he only ate about half of it. Then Amy found the rest and ate it.

@tmd Interesting to know that Meitou isn't the only one that likes the scale. The odd part is that he's never really been treated for it. Verbally praised, yes, but not an actual treat. He's never wanted any treats I've offered when he's on it. So he just gets a lot of happy praise. Who knows, maybe vet scales are super comfy and I've just never known it, lol.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Hello. My name is WhoBitMe, and I have a problem. Sometimes I find that I want another one of those Hokka things. And sometimes I want another one of the BC things.

Conundrum.

------

So, this long weekend I decided to do two hikes. I had a few places in mind, but it didn't work out quite like I planned, lol.

Saturday Hike...explore new trail that branches off one we've been to before.

It started with exploring a tiny off-shoot near the parking lot.

IMG_0125

IMG_0126

I tried to get to decent standing shots that look as epic as his brother Maruto's show pictures @Krisz but I don't think I was able to pull it off, haha. He really does not like the camera.

IMG_0127

IMG_0128

IMG_0129

Meitou had his usual "wade into the water and drink some but refuse to swim" moment.

IMG_0130

IMG_0131

IMG_0132

IMG_0133

IMG_0134

IMG_0135

IMG_0136

IMG_0137

IMG_0138

Look! You can see the spots all over the underside of his tongue.

IMG_0139

And along the first part of the trail we met two kind women riding some beautiful horses. The woman in blue/purple/whatever that color is stopped to ask what sort of dog Meitou was and mentioned that she had an American Akita at home.

IMG_0140

Meitou was appropriately cautious when the horses were near us, but once they were further down the trail Meitou wanted to chase them. I think he realized they smelled like, well, horse....and he loves the smell of horse poop.

IMG_0141

He climbed into a small waterfall along the side of the trail.

IMG_0143

And then we finally hit the new trail that went up hill. Steeply. Uphill.

IMG_0144

Tired of Hokkaido butt pictures yet? Sorry. They happen a lot when I hike.

IMG_0145

IMG_0146

IMG_0147

Shaking.

IMG_0148

Attempt at epic.

IMG_0149

IMG_0150

(more coming)

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-05-27 01:36:20
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    (continuation of the Saturday hike)

IMG_0151

IMG_0152

IMG_0153

IMG_0154

I finally got bored of holding his leash and just let him go on ahead of me.

IMG_0155

This next picture isn't actually good by any stretch of the imagination. But it looks like he is flying up out of the picture.

IMG_0156

Sit-stays at a short distance.

IMG_0157

IMG_0158

Recall. He has started to make sure I'm not faking him out when I call him back. As in, he has to see that I am not still coming before he actually comes. But if I turn around he comes charging back. But sometimes he comes without waiting to see what I'm doing.

IMG_0159

IMG_0160

IMG_0161

IMG_0162

IMG_0163

IMG_0164

IMG_0165

IMG_0166

IMG_0167

IMG_0168

IMG_0169

IMG_0170

IMG_0171

IMG_0172

IMG_0174

There was some bird chirp that really got his attention.

IMG_0175

I brought along a second leash, which turned out to be a good thing because the first one got super dirty.

IMG_0176

IMG_0177

I tried to get him to climb like Matsu, but it didn't really work. @WrylyBrindle

IMG_0179

IMG_0180

I elected to turn back earlier than I expected due to a few reasons, but I do want to go back and explore even more.

IMG_0181

IMG_0182

IMG_0183

IMG_0184

IMG_0186

This....doesn't really seem all that safe.

IMG_0187

IMG_0188

IMG_0192

IMG_0193

IMG_0194

IMG_0196

IMG_0197

I thought this was awesome.

IMG_0198

IMG_0199

IMG_0200

IMG_0201

IMG_0202

IMG_0203

IMG_0204

IMG_0205

(and more still coming)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-05-27 00:46:45
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I like to pretend his was bowing instead of wondering if it would be okay to jump down.

IMG_0206

IMG_0207

IMG_0208

IMG_0210

IMG_0212

IMG_0213

IMG_0217

IMG_0218

I thought the initials above his head were kind of ironic.

IMG_0219

IMG_0220

IMG_0221

IMG_0222

This garbage can is, apparently, very evil. We passed this at the beginning of the hike right after Meitou had pooped. I personally felt it was a good spot to through the poop away, but when I went to approach it Meitou started alert barking. I spent a good five minutes looking around for people or animals that might be a threat. I couldn't see anything and started to worry there might be a really dangerous animal around. I tried a couple times to throw the poop away but Meitou kept running away and I almost fell over so I gave up and found a different garbage can and Meitou was normal again. Later when he passed this again I realized....I think he was barking at the garbage can.

IMG_0223

IMG_0224

I wanted to give Meitou a chance to play in the water again before heading back to the car. Unfortunately, Meitou decided to pick his own path to the river. Bad idea. He ended up on a small rock ledge and decided he couldn't get back up on his own.

IMG_0225

IMG_0226

And then he fell in. So I had to climb down and haul him out of the river. And he fell in two more times. Each time I had to haul him out and try to get him back up the rocks. Afterward he had some zoomies; stress relief I guess. I got some video of it I will add in a bit.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I have no idea what he ate.

Hopefully you can hear the bird that Meitou thought was interesting.

And what Meitou is like after falling in the river (oh yeah, he also snuggled a bit with me right after I pulled him out, but no evidence of that this time).

P.S. The part he fell into was not super deep. Or fast.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-05-27 01:06:39
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Okay. Now for the Monday hike. Which ended up more of a Monday nature walk. It wasn't quite what I thought it would be. I had planned on going somewhere else until I read about bear, rattlesnake and scorpion sightings. I may eventually be brave enough to go to a place like that, but today was not that day. So I went for something I thought would be cool...and it was, a bit, but it was busier than I was hoping for a poor weather morning and when the sun came out suddenly there were a ton of dogs out. Meitou ignored most, except for a polite husky running next to a bike. Not sure why that one bothered him when it was one of the calm ones we saw. Once I saw that there were going to be more dogs than I wanted to deal with and went to a different nature trail that someone with me knew about that happened to be close. That ended up being short because halfway through the trail was flooded.

But it was still a fun day.

First place---

IMG_0228

IMG_0229

They had some replica canoes and I made Meitou pose in them. Not Meitou's favorite moment, but he did it.

IMG_0230

IMG_0232

IMG_0233

IMG_0234

IMG_0235

IMG_0238

IMG_0241

IMG_0242

IMG_0243

IMG_0245

IMG_0246

IMG_0247

IMG_0248

IMG_0250

IMG_0251

IMG_0252

IMG_0255

IMG_0257

IMG_0258

IMG_0259

IMG_0260

IMG_0261

There was a fishing party going on near the parking area.

IMG_0262

Have I mentioned Meitou loves tall grass? Cuz he does.

IMG_0263

IMG_0264

IMG_0265

IMG_0266

Second place----

Yes. There are a lot of bridge pictures. It's important. You'll see.

IMG_0267

IMG_0268

IMG_0269

IMG_0271

IMG_0272

*insert frantic horror music here*

IMG_0275

Meitou took a few steps onto the bridge....and decided the the Powers of Hell Itself must reside within that bridge. He did not want to walk across it. So I carried him over it both times we had to cross. He was okay with that. I got some video of it, but he is a bit more calm that the first time I tried to take video (and realized after that I hadn't actually taken video). This is the only time he was even vaguely willing to explore the bridge. Before and after he was adamant about not stepping foot on it.

You can see here that we reached the flooded part of the trail. For some reason the trail/bridges here were fine, but the wooden bridge was not (and he has crossed many other wooden bridges with no problem).

IMG_0279

Just prior to reaching the flooded area Meitou decided to hop over the side of the bridge. The area was wet and marshy and had signs about not disturbing the habitat. And I had just told Meitou not to go off the trail and boing he hops over. And he discovered it was a bunch of water and not just soggy ground. It was only a foot or so of water where he happened to jump in (later we measured with a blade of super long grass and found places that were over two or three feet deep). So lucky for him he found a shallow patch.

Anyway, he got wet. And he ate grass.

IMG_0280

IMG_0281

IMG_0282

"Oh, hi. Let's not ever go over the bridge again, kthanksbye."

IMG_0284

No bridge

IMG_0286

No bridge?

IMG_0287

Dang it.

IMG_0291

Yeah. I had to carry him over again (this would be the second time) even though he was sopping wet. I'm sensing a trend with our "hikes" recently.

IMG_0294

The end.

Edited to add: On the way back to the car from the second trail Meitou started nosing in some plants and I could hear something rustling around in there. I caught I glimpse of what Meitou had found, and it was a little snake. He tried to hunt it down. I'm not sure if it was barn hunt kicking in or if he just really was intent on finding the snake just because it was cool to him.

1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-05-27 01:45:13
  • What trail was the last one with the canoes and trail by the water? That looks like something Keanu would love!

Keanu- Shepherd/Golden Mix & Mika- Kai Ken
    Living in Vancouver, WA.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @TheSquatchQueen The trail with the canoes is the Columbia River Dike in Washougal.
    http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Dike_Hike

There were quite a few dogs, so as long as that isn't an issue it's nice. At one point we went by the West Columbia Gorge Humane Society and they tend to walk their shelter dogs there at the dike.

The last few pictures are from where we went after that, the Washougal River Greenway Trail.
    http://theintertwine.org/parks/washougal-river-greenway-trail
    http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Washougal_River_Greenway_Loop_Hike

You've probably been, but have you taken Keanu to Round Lake/Lacamas Lake? If not, that's a fun place to go though pretty popular so there are a lot of people and dogs, and there's a good chance of running into off-leash dogs there. At least I always seem to run into the off-leash dogs.

--

OK, so random Meitou story. Tonight I was doing a deep brushing of Amy because my grandmother wants dog hair put in nylons so she (my grandmother) can put dog hair out in her rose bushes to try and keep the deer from eating the roses. And Amy has tons of hair to give. Normally she doesn't care for Meitou in her space, but while I was brushing her Meitou came up next to her and started licking her back and nibbling her sides (and at one point was tugging on her fur and trying to eat it) and she was totally fine with it. Unfortunately for Meitou, it got him a little too excited and he kept trying to sneak in some humping....which she was not okay with. But as long as he didn't hump (or only faintly air humped next to her) then she was fine with him grooming her. He was so happy.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Another hike. This one was interesting in that the first mile of the trail we followed goes through private property and you walk right through a herd of cows unless they've wandered away into another pasture. Meitou and I got to walk through the cows on the way in, but they had moved on by the time we made it back. Well, they were just on the other side of fence this time.

Anyway, the hike was fun. It started out seeming pretty empty. We only saw a few other hikers a several groups of mountain bikers. But the last part of the hike had several dog encounters, which I'll explain later (whether you like it or not ;) ).

IMG_0296

IMG_0298

This is his "Why are you taking pictures of me peeing, Woman?!" face.

IMG_0299

IMG_0300

IMG_0301

IMG_0302

IMG_0303

IMG_0304

IMG_0305

IMG_0307

The Nemesis of Meitou: The Cow.

IMG_0309

He thinks he's all tough guy far away, but when we got close and the little brown calf started walking and the black mama cow started 'talking' to us he kind of freaked out a little. And apparently I operate under the assumption that all cows want to gore me (which I did not know prior to this, lol) because when Meitou started dancing around acting like surely the cows were all well-trained assassins out to get him my first thought was "they are going to gore me because my dog is an idiot," but the cows just watched us....like we were idiots. Meitou probably was not giving a very good impression at that point, lol.

IMG_0310

IMG_0311

Lower falls. I climbed out onto a rock outcropping to get any decent pictures because according to the instructions I printed, to get a good view I'd have to brave a semi-steep bushwhacking experience and there is no way I was doing that with Meitou. Who gleefully tries to run down slopes.

IMG_0312

IMG_0313

IMG_0314

IMG_0315

IMG_0316

IMG_0317

Finally. A picture with a dog in it.

IMG_0318

IMG_0319

IMG_0320

IMG_0321

IMG_0322

IMG_0323

IMG_0325

IMG_0326

IMG_0327

IMG_0328

IMG_0329

IMG_0331

IMG_0332

At this point we realized we missed the trail we meant to take, so we took a break.

IMG_0333

Meitou got some water (well, he wasn't the only one) and he got a moment to lie down. Which he didn't really appreciate because, as I have learned, Meitou is ACTION MEITOU. He doesn't like waiting around doing nothing. He must be doing.

IMG_0334

OMgosh so bored.

IMG_0335

IMG_0336

IMG_0337

IMG_0338

Down one side of the path

IMG_0340

Up the other

IMG_0341

Back onto the right trail

IMG_0342

IMG_0343

IMG_0344

Meitou did not appreciate the other hikers on this narrow bit of trail. All trail are belong to Meitou?

IMG_0346
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    He's still pretty sure posing on things sucks.

IMG_0347

IMG_0348

IMG_0349

IMG_0350

At this point I just felt bad so I let him get off, lol.

IMG_0351

IMG_0352

IMG_0353
    IMG_0354

IMG_0355

IMG_0356

IMG_0357
    After this is when all the dog sightings started happening. First, I took a picture of this because puppy.

IMG_0360

IMG_0361
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    That little guy (er....) was a cutie. Meitou was super excited by him, but calmed down since the puppy was calm. So it turned into a decent encounter (no saying hello, though, just to be safe). But after this we continued on the trail from the campground the puppy was at and ran into an off leash dog that silently appeared around a corner and then just stood there staring at Meitou. Meitou tried pulling over to greet it, but I got him to follow me off trail a bit and let the other dog and his owner pass.

Slightly less good of an encounter, but not the worst.... And then a little further down the trail a couple approached us with a cute black and tan Shiba. Moved Meitou off the trail and tried to distract him, and it didn't work so well this time. Three is not always the magic charm. He lunged around me and the Shiba, who already seemed on guard, snarked at him and so Meitou snarked back. Luckily no contact was made and once the Shiba was out of sight we continued. Meitou was worked up a bit after that so he was on "bad boy status," also known as, you have to walk by me instead of roaming ahead on the trail. This was useful because there were some steep stairs not long after that encounter. We didn't meet any other dogs for a while after that until we got back to the private property where me met a golden (happened to be carrying Meitou because I thought we were closer to a cattle guard), a pretty liver Doberman (which Meitou ignored with a little coaxing), and a mix of some kind that Meitou also ignored with some direction.
    Anyway... the next pictures are along the trail after the Shiba. Actually, the first two were before the Shiba now that I think about it.

IMG_0365

IMG_0366

IMG_0367

IMG_0368

IMG_0369

IMG_0370

IMG_0371
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2014-06-01 00:25:33
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Another waterfall....with a fun twist. You get to hike up behind it.

IMG_0372

IMG_0373

IMG_0374

IMG_0375

IMG_0376

IMG_0377

IMG_0378

IMG_0379

IMG_0380

IMG_0381

IMG_0382

IMG_0383
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion