Crate bedding for traveling puppies

edited January 2014 in General
I've shipped puppies in the past, and each time the bedding got all wadded up in the back and the puppy was on the cold, hard plastic usually damp from its own mess. For my last litter I came up with this solution and it worked fantastic!

(1) Cut a piece of cardboard to the interior dimension of the crate floor. I used part of a box that our puppy ex-pen was packaged in.

(2) Lay an extra large puddle pad on the floor, absorbent side down. Center the cardboard on top of it.

(3) Fold in the edges of the puddle pad and tape to the cardboard. This will be the stiff insert that keeps the blanket from bunching up.

(4) Lay the insert on top of a piece of fleece. In this case, I cut up one of the blankets that the puppies had been raised on, so it was full of comforting smells they were familiar with.

(5) Fold blanket around the insert and staple along the edges.

(6) Place another puddle pad inside the crate [not pictured] and then put the blanket insert on top of it. The puppy now has absorbent bedding that wont slide around or get bunched up.

(7) Finish preparing the crate with bowls, personal effects, toys, etc. One of our puppy buyers mailed a shirt that had her scent on it, for the puppy to get used to.

BONUS: See the socks? Those are stuffed full of the fur that momma shed while she was nursing the puppies. It took only a matter of seconds to sew the ends shut. They give the puppy a comforting scent of mom for the trip to their new home. A puppy from a previous litter still takes her "sleepy sock" to bed with her.

(8) Once the puppy arrives the blanket can be un-stapled from the cardboard (throw the insert away!), cleaned, and kept. One of the puppies from this litter still loves and carries around his blanket, now 8 months old.

Comments

• Great idea! Thanks for the photos, too, to show how you do it!
  • I love the sock idea! And definitely a great idea about the crate insert. :)
  • Wow. Great idea, now can I get a puppy from you? :))
  • I love that crate insert idea! Wonder if splitting it so it was half pee-pad, half sleeping pad would help the dog compartmentalize...either way, you should patent this...seriously.
  • That's pretty genius! The blankets are cute too :)
  • Good idea!
  • Really smart! I wonder if some thread would be safer than staples though.
  • Didn't have any problem with staples. They get buried deep into the fleece/cardboard you can't even see them and they're hard to feel. I am sure a thinner fabric like a pillowcase staples would be more of a problem.
  • edited February 2014
    Maybe staples make it easier to take off the board
  • I was browsing the Drs Foster and Smith site earlier, and came across something that made me think of this thread. :)

They sell reusable training pads that are like a blanket and pee pad in one. I was a little skeptical at their utility, but the reviews are very positive. Just wash with a little bleach and they are good to go.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24487
  • I would be interested in trying that for my weaning pen, but my fear is that they'd associate fabric with something acceptable to pee on. However, if I put it under the artificial grass.... hrmmm....

For in the carrier, it would still need a stiff insert I think.
  • I would be interested in trying that for my weaning pen, but my fear is that they'd associate fabric with something acceptable to pee on. However, if I put it under the artificial grass.... hrmmm....

For in the carrier, it would still need a stiff insert I think.
    Just a sidenote on the weaning pad thing....yeah, I bet they would associate fabric as something to pee on then. I had to use pee pads with Zora because she kept peeing her in crate and it was such a pain to clean. But she pretty much learned that something on the ground = something to pee on. It was unfortunate, and it has made housetraining slower. But I felt like I had to go that route, otherwise I'd have been cleaning up puppy and crate constantly, because she had no problem peeing in her crate.

So yeah, does seem like they might think of fabric=pee as ok.

• I agree with mistress. I just started getting Athena to pee outside. No more pads and she is 10wks. Best to start the routine you want when they are young. My shiba I let him use pads till 4month, he absolutely wouldn't pee outside after.
  • I refuse to use pads when potty training. Under NO circumstances is it ok for any dog of mine to pee in the house, and that's what I stick with no matter how difficult and inconveniet it might be. I like the pad/fabric idea for travelling though and using in the crate. But I would be cautious using it as training tool...
  • Oh I agree completely! I was only thinking in the travel sense where some accidents are unavoidable. The 10x absorbancy sounds useful.

@poeticdragon, under the fake grass is a neat idea. Bonus of being washable like a regular blanket and smelling familiar when the time comes.
  • I use some reusable pads for weaning. I also use them when I am house breaking the pups. They quickly learn the pad is ok, but carpet and other items on the floor are not. This helps me keep things clean when I have to leave the pups to go to work. The pads are actually the pads the use under patients on hospital beds. They are the perfect size for the whelping box and can be washed and re-used multiple times.
  • @Dragonfly I was referring specifically to baby puppies. Of COURSE they're going to pee in the house until they're at least 6 weeks old. We don't take them outside until then!

We started potty training with astro turf at 3 weeks old for the last litter. No piddle pads exposed, because an entire litter will just shred them in seconds anyway and someone is always sleeping on it. We did put piddle pads under the astro turf. We'd change the pads underneath and take the grass out to be hosed down once a day. (We had two different squares of grass.)
  • And at the risk of continuing this digression, I'd just say, what I've learned from this potty training go around is it is all well and good to think you know what you'll do in every circumstance, but then comes the dog that makes your rethink things! :)

I have never needed to use pee pads before (except in the way Poetic dragon is using them in a crate with an very very young puppy). Then suddenly I had a dog who was peeing in her crate all the time, and I had to use them to keep her and crate dry. And everything I thought I knew about housetraining has not worked on this girl!

Sometimes you just get more difficult dogs that others!

But I was mostly commenting on how Claire was, probably rightly, concerned that the peepad/blanket idea for baby pups still might complicate later house training. :)
  • A blanket like that is a good idea for a pen of any sort with little pups that will have messes. Actually, it uses the same concept as a cloth diaper (which I used to spend a lot of time sewing, so I know a lot about the fabrics). People use that type of thing in the bottom of guinea pig enclosures instead of wood chips nowadays as well.

The top layer will be a synthetic wicking layer, one that moisture moves through but that does not get wet. This would be microfleece, microsuede, or something similar. The next layer is something absorbent, of course, because the moisture has to be held somewhere. The bottom layer is waterproof keep it from getting on the floor. The layers can be sewn permanently together, or they can be a sleeve or pocket into which the absorbent layer is put (because the waterproof layer impedes washing and drying of the absorbent layer, it can be more effectively cleaned if you can remove the absorbent layer).

If I were to make this crate pad reusable, I would make a sleeve (maybe similar concept to a pocket pillow case) where the top was wicking and the bottom was waterproof. I would have a sheet of rigid plastic (currogated plastic? Or any ole piece of discarded plastic cut to size?) that I would wrap an absorbent layer around and then slide the sleeve over that. It would all come apart and wash thoroughly, but stay in place for a trip. At least, that's my theory.
  • Couldn't agree more with @Dragonfly though even in the crate or traveling I wouldn't use them. I keep rolls of fleece & line my kennels with that not just because the pads provide and "ok" place to pee inside but also because 90% of the pads on the market are actually scented to encourage the dog to pee on it. Don't get me wrong, it's great for welping, but I feel like those scented pads just set a dog up for failure. If you like to use them in kennels/travel carriers just be sure to get the unscented ones.