Meet Nyx [Pics!]-Updated 12.01.14

edited December 2014 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
I wanted to formally introduce Nyx to the forum. We've had her for about 2 weeks now and I can tell you that we've never been so excited by potty. We sometimes call her piglet because she's a very enthusiastic eater. It's actually kind of embarrassing because we'll go out and have strangers feed her treats and she acts like we starve her at home. She's probably met over 100 people in the last 2 weeks and her level of ease while people approach and touch her has increased dramatically. Hopefully this continues. She's also quickly learning to nibble gently.

That said, she's still a pup and occasionally she has her crazy time. Ears flat back against her skull, eyes gleaming- I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. At first, we tried to contain and redirect or settle her down with commands/treats but we've come to realize that she's just releasing some puppy steam. Now we just put her in her pen and let her work it out on her own. She usually runs around for 5-15 minutes with squirrel-murder in her eyes then plops down and lets out a blissful little sigh. She then passes out and has one of her spastic puppy dreams. The frequency of these outbursts seems to have decreased this last week but we cannot wait until she's fully immunized (12 days!) to get in her daily walks so that she can expend her energy in a more appropriate way.

We're continuing to work on her handling, socialization, and bite inhibition but I think the thing we most need to work on at the moment is separation anxiety. It's actually one of the few things we didn't anticipate but she sometimes freaks when we leave the room, even for less than a minute. We're incrementally working up to longer separation times, "pretend" leaving a dozen times a day, and not responding to her whining or barking when she does act up. We also give her some good treats so she can eat her sorrows away. Anything else we should be trying?

Anyway, here's the good stuff. Nyx is between 11-13 weeks in these pics.
IMG_1676
Missing Ayla and momma @Shikokuspirit on the ride to her new home

IMG_1690
First night home

IMG_1706
Bonding time

IMG_1735
Meeting her new best friend

photo 1
Earning her dinner

photo 2
Just thinking about life, you know?

photo 3
Right before licking the phone

photo 4
Posing with yak's milk

IMG_1762
Sunset by the lake

Comments

• Hey Oakland, not sure how you got your pup, but my pups had the same separation issues when I left their sight ( turned corners etc) ... It was a combination of things: the airplane ride and the fact that they were the last of the litter. You have to be patient and work slowly with them. What I did was - Cover the crate with a blanket and recorded myself on my pc and left it on a loop. That way they don't know you left. Each day turning the volume down less and less until it's just off- works like a charm for me ;) ymmv also try giving a puzzle/treat toy to keep them occupied.
  • Oh and congrats on your shikoku!!
  • Oh my..soo cute...lucky
  • Ooooooh, LOVE! So sweet. Congratulations on Nyx! Thanks for the video - brought back memories of the Shika puppy craziness. Hard to imagine now given that ours (almost 6 yo) is so calm.
  • Aw, so cute! Congrats! :)
  • Love the video how she just jumps and plays with one toy after another! Nice ex-pen setup!

Jesse
  • Congrats! I also have a Nyx... Although, she is a complete different... species... Haha. :)
  • Thanks guys! We captured another hilarious moment of her in her new bed. I think @shikokuspirit would get a kick out of this:

@not4dagames Great suggestion! We're going to record ourselves tonight and see how it goes. She also had her first raw bone today and I don't think she would have noticed if the ceiling caved in so we may try to work that into our plan. Fingers crossed!
  • @oakland Great let us know how it goes. How old is Oakland Btw?
  • Nyx is so cute! The bed video reminds me of kiyoshi lol He has no beds anymore, just a couple mats to curl up on. He destroys the beds but his mats he never touches. I think he just wanted the stuffing :)

How old is Nyx now and how much does she weigh?
  • edited January 2014
    @dragonfly @not4dagames Nyx is about 14 weeks now. We just weighed her yesterday and she's at 16lbs. She's growing so fast!
  • @Oakland Wow nice, cant wait for mine to be bigger. she is about 4-5lbs and The whole howling at the moon you cant see thing, will not be missed.
  • congrats on getting Nyx! She is really a sweet pup! I puppy-sat for @shikokuspirit several times and my boy Kilbun loved her!
  • Nyx is so cute, can't believe I missed this post! How is she doing now? More pics/videos?!?
  • I must admit I love the coloring on Nyx. I have to close Nero's crate when it's not bedtime right now or he pulls his bed out and starts to hump it. My wife made sure to video that for me. I told her be glad it wasn't her pillow...she scowled at me.
  • Hi everyone. We're alive! :D Thanks for all your messages. I wanted to post some updates for you before she got even bigger (currently at 26lbs). Nyx continues to be an amazing dog. She is so fun, smart, and good-natured. She's quiet and calm in the house but a great companion when outdoors. She surprises us daily with how intuitive and mature she is at 6 months.

We're reaching adolescence now and definitely seeing the signs- massive drop off in responsiveness to commands (SUCH a punk), increased interest in other dogs and small animals, etc. so we're a little nervous for the next phase. But what can we do except take it day by day, right? Here's the spam (Nyx is between 3-6 months in here):

Like most puppies, she sleeps a lot:
    IMG_1858
    IMG_1860
    IMG_1874
    IMG_2023
    IMG_2080

When she's not sleeping, we take often take her for hikes:
    P3140169
    IMG_2084
    P3140128
    P3140096

This, in turn, keeps her pretty happy, as you can see here:
    P3140122
    IMG_2133
    P3120053

When she gets home, she's usually a mellow little pup:
    IMG_1806
    IMG_1861
    IMG_1925
    IMG_1934
    P3130081
    IMG_2012
    P3160179

But when she is truly content, she tells us with her ears:
    IMG_1856
    IMG_1858
    IMG_1880
    IMG_1900

She's no angel, though. And she makes sure to remind us of that every day.

>:) >:)
  • OMG, you've been holding out on us! She is adorable! Quite the character too :D
  • Nyx is absolutely beautiful and what great pictures you shared with us!
  • AWWEEEE. Nyx is such a cutie, so glad to hear everything is well :)
  • Glad to hear she is doing well! I love her tail. :-D
  • so cute!!!! I love her funny sleeping poses!
  • Soo cute! She grew so fast! :)
  • Love that video so funny! Tearing up the grass.
  • Nyx is beautiful girl!
  • edited December 2014
    I can hardly believe Nyx is already 1 y.o. (as of 10/22/14) and that it's been almost a full year since we brought her home. We've been super busy not only with her but with our own lives. You know, little things like getting married :D ! The last 6 months have been a bit crazy and life-changing but Nyx has been our joy and our comic relief.

So, let's see what's happened in the last few months:
    We found a new vet. Around the time of our last crappy vet experience, a new vet opened up just a few blocks away from us. We really like the new place but I don't think we found our "forever vet" yet. It'll do for now and the fact that we're only a quick walk away means that we've been able to take Nyx to the vet regularly and give her treats to build up that positive association. However, I think the combination of anticipated treats and some residual anxiety gets her amped and she's kind of frenetic for the first 10-15 minutes , e.g., won't focus on commands, reverts to pulling, jumping on people. If you guys have any thoughts on how to make her more comfortable and calm at the vets (other than treating her), please do tell because I feel like I might be overlooking some other things I could be doing. Also, for those interested, she's been at a steady 33lbs for the last 4 months.

She met her dad! We met up with Corina in Orange County and got to see Shoushuu for a bit. You can definitely see the resemblance especially in coloring but I think Nyx is a pretty even mix of both her mom and dad, right?
    IMG_2274
    IMG_2284

She thinks she's a husky. She just plays really well with them and has always gravitated toward them. When she's on leash with a husky, she'll pull like a husky. She won't disrupt water bowls the same way a husky will but she sure as hell has no problem jumping in the puddles they've created. Her best friend is a husky pup named She-Ra. We call them the wolf and the fox. The amount of attention they receive when we're out together is ridiculous.
    IMG_0251

When she's not pretending to be a husky, she's up to the usual: eating, sleeping, and quietly chewing through my flip flops
    IMG_0068
    IMG_2492
    IMG_2699

She continues to be a great dog and she's taught me more than I could have ever imagined (uh, patience anyone?). Some days I get caught up in all the things I should be doing more of- more socialization, more training, more handling, more hiking, etc.- but then I'll come home and she'll lose her sh*t, run around like a headless chicken and then lick my face for 10 minutes straight and I'll remember that what she needs most is our love. And I do not think we could love her more.

Practicing Stay
    IMG_2724
    Off Leash
    IMG_0025
    Out and About
    IMG_0152
    IMG_0193
    IMG_0317
    Napping with Dad
    IMG_0372

I'll try to upload some videos we have of her too. Also, we created an instagram account for her so if you'd like more regular updates, it's probably your best bet: http://instagram.com/itsnyx

Happy holidays, everyone!!
  • Yay! So glad you are enjoying her! She looks like she has a little of her mom's markings and her dad's coloration. All told, I can't agree enough how lovable these dogs are.

Thank you for the update!

Jesse
  • edited December 2014
    Nyx looks sooo happy! :) It sounds like you're having tons of fun. Lol love the sit+stay picture!
  • Nyx is absolutely gorgeous! Now I want to teach Meitou to balance toys on his head. But it would be a lot of work. ;)
  • wow how large is nyx now? we're you the one that lived in the bay area? would love for nyx to meet katsu!