now I know why breeders are asking for deposit.

edited January 2014 in General
I'm newbie breeder. just had 1st litter.
I had alot of applications but I got some good one choosen for my pups.
made my list and emailed them from mating to born, 1week pic and 3rd week pics.
I didn't ask for deposit since I felt like i wanted to trust these ppl and treat them nicely.
it is asian thing that it's kinda hard to ask money before get to know these ppl.
OO it was my mistake. 2 out of 5 backed out and didn't even let me know. I emailed them recently and didn't get any reply, called them few times and finally got in hold of them. one person already got dog from other, one person can't get dog right now. funny thing is these two were top of my list that i thought these two were very good to send my best pups.
Still newbie huh? lol don't know, I just want to find good home for my pups and I will. but i'm kinda disappointed.

Comments

• I just recently had the same problem. I did not ask for deposits until the pups were born. I have 3 pups from my OCt litter and have 1 that backed out of my current litter. He put a deposit with another breeder and never told me or the other breeder he was on more than 1 wait list.
  • Yep, that's why we started taking deposits.
  • Ahhh.. Sorry to hear. But this is a lesson us "nice people" need to learn the hard way.

A little off topic but, I had somebody move into my apartment with me back in College. Person I interviewed was very nice, and I decided to overlook the deposit.

BIG mistake. The person ended up moving out and left a mess, which I had to clean.

:( As much as we want to be nice, Sometimes we just have to protect ourselves.
  • That totally sucks Tim.

I think people are just so rude nowadays. No class and selfish. Perhaps it is also a difference in culture here, in my culture, you just don't "screw" other people over.

Unfortunately, because of some rude people, other nice people have to suffer from it.

Too bad for them !! I wish I could have a puppy from Karin x Ghidora!
  • As a serious buyer, I'd WANT to put down a deposit to ensure I get a chance at a pup.

Money Talks, Bullsh*t Walks
  • As a serious buyer, I'd WANT to put down a deposit to ensure I get a chance at a pup.

I would have to agree with this comment. If a person REALLY wanted a pup, they would want to put a deposit down to increase the chances that I will get a pup. This also communicates to the breeder that I, as a puppy buyer, am serious in getting a pup from them.
  • I agree with the above posts, HOWEVER.... A deposit is tricky. If you're a new breeder, you have to build trust and your reputation. So not having a deposit as a First time breeder actually is more feasible than someone; with no "proven" track record asking me to pay hundreds of dollars based on a few words and pictures of Dogs.

Sadly in 2014 there are PLENTY of online dog breeder SCAMS, and the brilliant part of it is- You expect to wait 1-2 years for a pup, but after 6 months GOOD LUCK getting your bank to refund you. So not charging a deposit makes you look trustworthy, and credible as a breeder.

Who cares if a few people back out, you're not in it for the money are you? If you are the only way to truly profit is to become a puppy mill :( .

I also know people who put down deposits and still do not follow through with the purchase.

Recommendation: After your first litter, charge a deposit.
  • Nothing wrong with taking deposits because technically there is business involved + a financial transaction. I completely understand the desire to build trust as well but I do think taking deposits will actually benefit you in that area. good luck!

I also agree. When we were getting kiyoshi it was what seemed like the longest wait of our life but as soon as we got the final word we couldn't hand over the money fast enough. Granted we were in the middle of a move and it was a bit delayed due to those circumstances but still.

Id def want to put down a deposit if I'm seriouly interested in a puppy.
    I'm sorry to hear that it happened like that, those puppies are so adorable :) you should post more pics of them!
  • I agree with @Dragonfly MORE pics please !! :)
  • Which ones still need homes?
  • edited January 2014
    Who cares if a few people back out, you're not in it for the money are you? If you are the only way to truly profit is to become a puppy mill :(
    I find this sentiment reprehensible.

Who cares?

The responsible breeder cares!
    The puppy that needs a good home cares!
    The other good applicants care!

Someone who backs out affects everyone involved.

As a breeder, we spend hours interviewing, screening, and fretting about the homes our puppies go to. This is not our full time job. Hell, it feels like it some times, but we do have to work for a living too - breeding dogs is a money losing affair. Our time is valuable, because we can only do so much with it. We need that time for work, rearing and training puppies, attending shows and other dog events. We might even like to have a hobby or two (perish the thought!). So time wasted on a flake applicant is time we could have spent on our dogs, on a better applicant, on our jobs making money to support ourselves.

When a breeder is going through the application and screening process, we find the ones we like, the ones we think will be the perfect match for our pups. There are others that may be just as good, but we just can't make everyone happy - we have to turn them away. When we commit to one applicant, we close the door to others. When an applicant backs out, we can't simply call up the people we already turned down and expect that they're still interested, haven't found another puppy elsewhere, they're ready and able to take a puppy right now, and so-forth. Calling up people I previously had to turn down has not been successful for me once so far.

(Let's not even touch upon the disappointment the other party may feel! What if their dream dog was a puppy from your breeding and you said no, so they settled for a different dog - then they find out they could have had one from you after all! That's so unfair to them, and unfair to the dog they bought instead who will remind them of the dog they could have had and be unable to fill that imaginary dog's shoes.)

So now the puppy has nowhere to go. The breeder has to spend even greater time and advertising investment drumming up new applicants. And when you're promoting an available puppy for sale instead of having to turn people away because you can't meet the demand, it seems all the worst people come out of the wood works. Questionable applicants that you maybe wouldn't have considered before start looking better, because the really high caliber pet owners just aren't applying right now. If there was a magic trick to drum up perfect homes at the drop of a hat, don't you think rescues would have figured it out by now?

You're stuck with a hard choice with the puppy's fate on the line - lower your standards or keep holding out for the perfect home, while the pup is growing, missing out on bonding and training with new family, and leaving the cute puppy phase and entering the destructive teenager phase - which is bad for your home and bad for your ability to sell him. You have other dogs to train and care for and show as well, and puppy probably is not going to get the one-on-one attention that he would in a single dog home.

Nobody wins.
  • I agree with @PoeticDragon, everyone (or too many people) backing out is one of my worst fears if I'm to breed in the future...so deposits are a way to ensure everyone involved is protected. In my mind, if you're not ready to put a deposit down (of some sort) on a puppy, you're not really all that committed and ready just yet.
  • I agree with @poeticdragon 100%. That is exactly what happened with my litter. I now have 3 pups here looking for homes while I am trying to start and train for a new job.
  • People back out on me all the time. In my situation I don't take deposits because helping someone import a pup is totally different from finding homes for pups born at my house. But yeah, it often takes a huge amount of effort, time, and money to find a pup for someone (which I usually think is the right one), only to have them stop returning my mails/calls when it comes time to put money where mouth was.

Then there are people like @Dragonfly that I know want the pup, will give it a good home, are always going out of their way to communicate with me, and are trying to move the process forward. I enjoy helping them.

I know what you mean about the Asian thing, Tim. I'm the same way. It's about trust and being honorable in your dealings, but just because not everyone is like that does not mean I'm going to change the way I want to interact with people.

I have a few people that have asked me to help them find Akita pups, in fact one just the other day mailed me from California. If you get some pics and info up (and there's still some pups available) I'll see what I can do.
  • I don't take deposits until I am certain I will be able to provide something. Once I know there are puppies designated for a pet home, then I bring up deposits. It's a huge waste of my time to take deposits early otherwise, when I only have one bitch to breed and I will likely be keeping as many of those few puppies for myself. Instead, I refer the homes I really like to other breeders I know as I do want them to get their puppy from a good source if I don't have something for them. Perhaps in the future when I am able to do more breedings, I will begin taking deposits before puppies are born.
  • Likewise, I don't take deposits until after puppies are born and I'm sure I will offer them a pup based on application/interview - which I also don't do until after pups are born. If someone is only interested in a white male and I only have brindles or females, why waste their time or mine.
  • It s also something I m confronted at the moment. First they are excited and writing everyday, and than....silence.

Most of them where customers from the USA.

I don't know why some ppl acting this way. I also never asked for deposit.

It really sucks, because it is a lot of work to getting infos about customers. But it s something I need to do because I want the best place as possible for my babies.

So I always asking my breeder friends I trust if they know something about the persons who wanting a pup from me. The most customers are breeders, so I think it s a little bit easier to getting infos about them.

And every customer need to introduce himself.

Also I changed my mind and asking for deposit.

• Sometimes I think something like an escrow company for puppy deposits would thrive. ie. Puppy buyer gives full amount to escrow, breeder gets a % after birth/acceptance, remainder paid out after placement....
  • Sometimes I think something like an escrow company for puppy deposits would thrive. ie. Puppy buyer gives full amount to escrow, breeder gets a % after birth/acceptance, remainder paid out after placement....
    I think your on to something :)

• I like the idea of personal direct transactions instead of escrow. Maybe if it's an international issue or breeder/buyer can't meet face to face, or you don't trust the person, but then, why sell a dog to them...
  • Jen and I have discussed taking deposits in dog food.

Our deposits are nonrefundable, but people don't seem to understand that means they're not getting their deposit back if they back out. Strange.

Deposits that come into our kennel goes directly to feeding our dogs, so... maybe we cut out the middle man and take deposits directly in dog food?
  • Jen and I have discussed taking deposits in dog food.

Our deposits are nonrefundable, but people don't seem to understand that means they're not getting their deposit back if they back out. Strange.

Deposits that come into our kennel goes directly to feeding our dogs, so... maybe we cut out the middle man and take deposits directly in dog food?
    Wow that shows an ethical breeder, but kinda a hassle. A decent amount of food would be expensive to ship. I guess the traditional cash would be seems more reasonable. But I def understand the asian (honor) POV from personal experience.

• I would totally accept $300 worth of dog food in place of cash. I know Petco delivers, something people could look into.
  • aykayk
    edited January 2014
    A lot of dog food shipping companies waive shipping if it exceeds a certain amount. I know two that have free shipping when the dog food is over $49.

My current dog food shipper is chewy.com. They have free shipping when the purchase is over $49, and they don't have an upper weight limit.
  • edited January 2014
    We thought about offering people a website (like chewy.com) or contact with our local pet store (which is easy since there is only one in our town). A deposit ($300) would feed our dogs for about 1 weeks. We seem to be buying 4 bags of Acana a week at this point.

We're also considering building a "wish list" of things that could be purchased in place giving money for a pup. This works well with our nonprofit status and would allow people to write off the expense. Still working out the details of that tho...
  • Amazon wish list?
  • Amazon wish list?
    That would work for some things, but not large items like Kennels and such.

• That would work for some things, but not large items like Kennels and such.
    I'm probably misunderstanding, but they sell stuff like kennels
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002R0F04M/

True, Amazon doesn't carry everything themselves. My favorite option of the wish list is you can add stuff from any store. If it's online, you can add it.
    http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/universal
  • I'm probably misunderstanding, but they sell stuff like kennels
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002R0F04M/
    No, you're not misunderstanding. I'm just really picky about what kennels we get, and they don't carry the ones I like. ;)
    True, Amazon doesn't carry everything themselves. My favorite option of the wish list is you can add stuff from any store. If it's online, you can add it.
    http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/universal
    Ah! I didn't know about that! Nice, thanks!