Any Sacramento Shikoku owners?

Hello Everyone! I was wondering if any shikoku owners lived out in the Sacramento CA area? I live north in Yuba City and want to find a way to socialize my finnish lapphund with this breed. I am meeting a breeder in southern CA this summer but won't be there long enough to see how my lappie will get along with the breed. We really like how the shikoku looks on paper but want to get a better idea of what having one would be like. Our lappie is our first priority and the next dog we get has to be compatible with her :)

Comments

• There's not really any showing on the member map, but not everyone is on there
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/7837/member-map/p1

I THINK @Oakland is nearby in the bay area with her new pup!
  • Thank @zandrame :) Hopefully @Oakland will see this and let me know! I am willing to travel a little bit in order to meet someone nearby. I just want to make sure that my lappie likes the shikoku play style before I take the next step with the breeder
  • Nobody likes the Shikoku play style. :p

I've found my Shikoku plays best with LGD breeds, Labradors, and Boxers. Dogs that generally don't care when he pulls their tail and tries to employ take-downs. He plays REALLY well with the puppies and LGD breeds I've fostered (mostly Pyrs or Pyr mixes).

I've found northern breeds, other Japanese breeds, and primitive-type dogs kind of hate him. He has one Shiba friend who goes just as hard as he does, but we would have to call them back and break them up a lot otherwise they'd just get snarky with one another.

Shikoku can be really pushy, very noisy, and can get frustrated or overwhelmed very quickly. Siblings can probably get used to one another, but I know in my house, it would have worked out better if the Shikoku was here first and I got my Malamute afterward.
  • @Crispy Shikoku sounds a lot like my lappie! She is very noisy and can get a little rough in her play. She is pretty obnoxious and we figure an equally hyper dog would do her good :) Of course, I won't know until I let her play with the shikoku!
  • Shikoku are such dirty players. lol

Another thing to consider is that the Shikoku might not be comfortable playing with your dog right away. It might take a couple of visits. I know my shikoku hates other dog intruding in her play with my other dog at the dog park. She doesn't like strange dogs sniffing her or playing with her. I think you'll have better luck visiting someone with a male shikoku. It's worth the drive, especially since they are such expensive dogs and different from anything you'll ever experience... You got to see it to understand it.
  • there are several shikoku in the bay area.
  • @Hinata23 I would definitely want to have more than one visit :) It took a couple visits in order to decide that I wanted a finnish lapphund. My visits are mainly for my lappie but also for me to choose whether or not this breed clicks with me or our life style. I am so glad that you are being honest about this breed so that I can make an informed choice! I hope I can find a shikoku owner near by who would be willing to meet up with me!
  • That's what we're here for :)
  • Thanks @Hinata23 :)
    How did you decide this was the right breed for you? Did you have a strong feeling before you met the breed or did you meet them before you knew anything about them? Did you have other dogs?
    Our lappie is a herding dog and my husband wants a hunting partner so we figured we should find a spitz breed that liked hunting. The shikoku just fit the description. Any breed suggestions if the shikoku doesn't work with my lappie?
  • Hunting huh? Maybe a Laika? :D
  • Or a Kishu! Maybe a Hokkaido or Kai? I know of at least one Kai who's been used for hunting here in the states. My Hokkaido has some killer drive, I'm training him on coon right now.
    Depends on what husband wants in a hunting dog though. I can't speak for other Hokkaido, but, mine would mutilate birds he's got such a hard mouth. I'll probably try him on them sometime just to see, but I doubt it'll go well, which is why I'm training him on stuff he can smash up a bit.
  • @zandrame My husband is just starting to hunt but really loves it! My father in law takes his two dogs out hunting and is always telling my husband that he needs a hunting dog in order to see how fun it can really be! Father in law thinks watching dogs hunt is inspiring because they are so cunning and agile :)
    I have never heard of a Laika! Is that another spitz breed? Do you have any links to breeders?
  • edited January 2014
    Yeah they are Spitz. @brada1878 has a couple West Siberian Laika. There's also a Laika forum just like this one ('cause Brad is awesome like that) but I do not know of any breeder websites, at least for ones here in the U.S.
    http://www.laikaforum.org/forum/
  • @Losech I don't think he knows enough yet to have a preference. He is still learning and has only gone on a real hunt once. The rest of the time was on my father in laws property to get quail. I showed him the Kai, Hokkaido, and Kishu and out of the three he liked the Hokkaido the most. He still likes the shikoku more than anything else! He has always wanted a Japanese dog but I think that comes from his love of Japan, haha. He just loves the way they look and thinks their faces are wonderfully structured.

• @Losech if I can find a breeder in the US or Canada then I would be interested! Anything over seas would be too far for me to travel. They are a gorgeous breed though! I just feel very strongly about meeting a breed in person and allowing my lappie a chance to test play :) Either way I am going to research them further!
  • We really like how the shikoku looks on paper but want to get a better idea of what having one would be like. Our lappie is our first priority and the next dog we get has to be compatible with her
    This just makes my heart sing! Excellent perspective!! :)
  • edited January 2014
    Well I researched the Shikoku and Kai ken for 3 years before I met them both. I loved these two breeds because they barked very little, were medium size, don't smell, and were independent. If you don't mind calling your dog and having them stare at you like "what? Eh, nah offering me something and I'll think about it" then their independence won't bother you. Lol

I adopted my Shikoku right away when I found out she needed a home. Aside from being a gorgeous dog, she was great with Brad and Jen's 3 year old daughter, which was VERY important to me since we're a young couple. I emailed everyone with a shikoku/kai that had kids and asked them a ton of questions. One of the biggest factors of me wanting a Shikoku FIRST was that they were ok being the only dog and were amazing with babies and kids, while the Kai tends happier in a home with more than one dog (I was always planning on getting both. It was just a matter of which to get first). Since she was up to adaption the decision was easy. Since she was having a really hard time adapting to her new home (A REALLY HARD TIME), we decided to go ahead and get a Kai pup. Our Kai was/is amazing. He helped our Shikoku overcome some of her fears and open up. He was a little ball of love, terror, and silliness. And their relationship is one of a kind. They are perfect for each other. I'm so grateful Brad (Yamabushi Kennel) knew just what our lady needed.

If I had to recommend a Japanese breed it would be a Kai, hands down. They are just that amazing. I will always want a Kai my family and many Kai owning members will say the same.

For hunting the Shikoku might not be the great choice. Especially for a beginner. They have high prey drive and will run off and get lost if not trained properly. Training a Shikoku to hunt takes extensive knowledge and experience with the breed and know how to hunt with it.

It's honestly not the breed to get because they are beautiful, due to the fact that they are so quirky sometimes. I would totally recommend you go meet a few in person, like you said you were, before you decide. And have your husband go too. Our Shikoku is scared of most men. Some men understand it and are careful with not further scaring her, while others think it's stupid that she's scared of them and are bothered by it. Some people tend to NOT understand her and assume she was either abused or is mentally not all there... Shikoku are not your normal dog. They really are different and some times irrational and neurotic, at least from what I've experienced.

We have a few members who are knowledgable hunters on the forum. One hunts birds with his Kai and lab, another hunts boar and deer with his pack of Kishu (both in the states), and one in Japan who hunts boar with his Kishu as well (he has hunted with Kai and Shikoku, but really enjoys the Kishu). I'm sure they would love to share insights with your husband.

From what I've seen Shikoku tend to bond with girls more, so if your husband is looking for a hunting buddy he might want to keep that in mind lol. I know Brad has had this problem with all the Japanese breeds lol. They all bond with his wife and he has turned to Laikas and mastiffs for buddies lol

(Sorry for any typos. I'm on my phone!)
  • @Hinata23 Wow, thank you so much for that thought out response! The independence doesn't bother me since I grew up with VERY serious and independent border collies who were always less than interested in the family. My husband got a little sad after reading and said, "It is always the pretty ones who are the most work". My husband is really gentle with animals. I volunteer at a rescue and my husband sometimes tags along so we have both learned how to work with a variety of dog personalities (though the shikoku seems to be a class of its own!). I am still mutual on whether or not this dog is for us and told my husband not to get his hopes up. I am going to look more into the kai and see if I can meet one of them as well. I am sure my shikoku breeder can point me in the right direction :)

• edited January 2014
    Well if you're looking into the Kai, I would totally recommend Yamabushi Kennel. Brad and Jen live in Colorado and have about 7+ Kai, plus other Japanese dogs including a Kishu, Hokkaido, shikokus, and shiba. They've had all 6 Japanese breeds and are very knowledgable about them all. They also have Laikas. It's basically the best place to stop by and learn about these rare breeds. You cant find a more nice and knowledgable couple!!!
  • It sounds like you guys would be great Shikoku owners :) That said, it doesn't mean you won't get more out of another breed like a Kai or a Laika that might be more compatible. Also, keep in mind that hunting with a Shikoku might not be as easy as people think.
  • What does your husband hunt? (sorry if I missed the answer above)
  • @brada1878 I think she said he just started with his father and has only been out on one really hunt.
  • @brada1878 He is still learning and has only hunted quail. The only real hunt he did was in northern Arizona and I don't remember what they were going out to get. He didn't bring anything home so that makes it harder to remember, haha :)

@Hinata23 In the end the dog has to be good with our lappie :) Hunting or not the new dog needs to be a friend to our current puppy!
  • edited January 2014
    @Spitzfever - For sure, if the concern is dogs getting along, the safest NK route is a Kai Ken. Laika tend to be good social dogs too - not quarrelsome like many of the NK breeds are.

As for quail hunting, a Kai would be an OK choice. Also a Laika. Shikoku tend to not bark enough. My Hokkaido is too young to have an opinion on how they would do. My Kishu is an amazing hunter and will tree most things, but tends to prefer larger game.

Just keep in mind, with a NK or a Laiki, your husband will need to hunt quail in a non-western hunting style. He should *not* expect a retriever-type hunting dog from a spitz.
  • @brada1878 thank you for being so informative! I really appreciate all of the feedback :)
  • @Spitzfever Keep us posted! I'm excited to see what dog you'll end up getting :)
  • After meeting @brada1878's dogs, I'm a Laika fan. Or at least an Ike fan!
  • lol Ike is so silly.
  • @zandrame Ike is such a goofball :) What a cutie!
    @Hinata23 I will definitely keep you posted and will let you all know how my visits go :)
    My breeder said someone oh here lived by me and had a shikoku...Nyx was the name, at least I think so!
  • Nyx is owned by @Oakland! :)