Neighbourhood Bully

Last July, Saigo (at 6 months) was attacked by a neighbour's dog who was off-leash. This dog came at Saigo from across the street, knocked him over, took his throat into his mouth and proceeded to rip into him. We had to kick the mutt off of Saigo. When the owner came to get his dog, the dog lunged at Saigo for the second time. This is the only time he's been attacked like this.

Since then, Saigo has the biggest hate-on for this dog. What initially started as defensive warning barks has now turned into full on leash-pulling. Yesterday, he pulled me halfway down the street trying to get at this dog. He definately hasn't forgotten the incident and his aggression towards this dog is scaring me. I can also see that he is actively trying to pursue this dog, likely with the intention of fighting or hurting him, so that also scares me too.

The strange thing is, Saigo is the most affectionate dog there is. He never humps anyone at the dog park. When two dogs fight, Saigo will get in between them and stop the fight. The other day, there was a big dog who attacked a smaller dog and Saigo went over to the smaller dog and started licking the area where it got bit. You guys also know about the baby rabbits he found in the backyard and how he licked them to keep them warm. Countless people have commented on Saigo's amazing personality, affectionate nature and marvel that he is still intact.

I'm not sure what to do about this dog and/or Saigo's behaviour. They live a few houses down and it's impossible not to run into them, and we turn around once we see each other but not before Saigo starts going nuts. Suggestions welcomed!! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Ask the owner if they'd like to do desensitization training together on a daily basis? Flood Saigo with some high value treats and a sit at the mere sight of the other owner's house. Graduate to sitting and looking at you once Saigo sees the dog from a far distance, graduate to seeing the dog in a closer distance, etc.

That's my only suggestion if the other owner isn't cooperative. Did the other owner even apologize and stop letting their dog run off leash?
  • No, the other owner was completely in denial - he said his dog was only playing (and only conceded after the 2nd attack), could not explain why he was walking his dog offleash and even lied about it ( his kids think that Saigo attacked their dog ). We really want nothing to do with those people after this incident.
  • Are there leash laws in your area? If this continues being a problem, you could call the police or animal control and file a complaint against him. Actually, if you and Saigo get attacked again by this dog, call the police right away and file a report there and then. Could also talk to other neighbors in the area, especially those who also have dogs they walk, and see if they also have has incidents with this guy. The more that builds up against this guy, the greater likelihood that he will be fined and possibly have the dog taken away.

Irresponsible people like this don't deserve to have a dog, and yeah you might feel bad about the dog being taken away but you also have to consider the safety of yourself, Saigo, and the others that this dog might eventually attack.
  • I agree with @Calia report it as an aggressive dog shouldn't be off the leash. One thing if the dog escaped or got loose, but purposely letting the dog off leash who doesn't behave especially if there is leash laws.

I've had issues at dog park Saya was attacked by lab mix and owner acted like it was Saya's fault. She did nothing to get her dog off mine. Luckily I was next to her so I got the dog off of saya before it got too bad.

Next visit mom asked if anyone know about this lady and sure enough she has a big reputation for her dogs causing fights. I mean come on one thing for a dog to be a bit rough or excited, but starting fights constantly she should been reported.

I stopped going as Saya was acting more and more reactive to dogs even well behaved ones.

If you have anymore report this and like Calia said maybe go ask some other dog owners who are nearby if they had any issues with walking by there. If anything you'd be helping them by warning of the dog being like this. I dunno I'm so glad to be in country without tons of off leash dogs who have no dog manners. one dog is off leash, but he is friendly and doesn't cause trouble.

I only have one neighbor with an aggressive rat terrier who they let loose all the time luckily in winter I'm free to enjoy the yard without it as they are old and migrate for winter. each year I hope they move down south for permanent..
  • If you have leash laws, record on video their dog being off-leash and as painful as it is, record the next inevitable dog-dog encounter. Even if you don't have leash laws, there usually are city laws with regards to pet ownership that should put you more responsible than them and make them liable for their dogs actions.

Bring an airhorn or hiking pole with you on your next walk so you have at least something by which to help protect you and Saigo from unwanted visitors.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-TM-Walking-Trekking/dp/B007YT854S/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1389206887&sr=1-1

Jesse
  • That sounds absolutely terrible.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks everyone for your input.

There definately are leash laws however we chose against reporting him and warned that if we saw that dog off leash again we would report. Because they're our neighbour, we didn't want to have any bad blood, especially that they live so close. Since then, they've purchased a non-retractable 6' lead as we advised them to do.

I'm more concerned about Saigo's behaviour towards the dog. Is there anything we can do to change it? I don't want to be known as the person with the crazy attack dog.
  • When the dogs see each other, does the neighbor's dog react the same way as Saigo?
  • edited January 2014
    @BearMom, yes he does, but I think more of a reaction to Saigo.

As for Saigo, just the smell of that dog makes him upset, especially if it's fresh scent and he knows he's nearby. Saigo will pull towards his direction growling and barking. Saigo always knows when the other dog is around. The other dog isn't as aware of Saigo as Saigo is aware of him.

It's almost like Saigo wants revenge now that he's bigger and can kick his ass.
  • If he gets upset just smelling the other dog's scent you are going to have a difficult time stopping him from wanting serve up some well deserved ass kicking. Is Saigo food motivated? My akita is not, so treats alone don't work, especially for aggression issues with specific dogs. I had to consult with a trainer/behaviorist who showed me methods to manage the situations better. Only took one session, but it was much better. It's so embarrassing when you can't control your dog in public.

The worst part is that it isn't even Saigo's fault...the other dog started the whole mess.
  • @bearmom you totally hit the nail on the head with that last post. I'll give a behaviorist a call and see what they think.

Haha yep, the other dog is a jerk but ultimately it's the owners fault. I realize that I have to coexist with these idiots, so I just try to deal with it as best as I can.