"Dogs are People Too" - MRI studies of dog emotions - neat!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/opinion/sunday/dogs-are-people-too.html

I'm sure you knew this without science, but I think its opened a whole new door to studying dogs. I look forward to future development from this project and the "spin offs" it creates.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Oh, and I think guardianship/wards and the right of self-determination is going off the deep end. But the rest is interesting.
  • Thanks for sharing this article. I love neuroscience and have especially been interested in it after getting Saigo. There's been lots of recent studies on canine behaviour, from tail wagging to paw preferences, it's all so fascinating. As much as we try to study our dogs, I'm sure they have us all figured out already!

I am a cognitive materialist and believe our canine companions are sentient beings who deserve to be treated with just as much respect as we treat humans. I agree with the author that an argument based on a dog's cognitive functions (or what is referred to as intentionality) could provide the basis for more stringent laws against the use of animals for testing and entertainment. I don't think this will be in my lifetime though.